Legalization of Marijuana: Yay or Nay?

by Gravity

Note: Since many heated persuasive essays have been written on abortion, gay marriage, (reproductive rights), and religion, I thought I'd switch it up a bit. In this essay I'm going to talk about a problem that is just as big as the ones listed above... the legalization of marijuana. I also wanted to note that there is a paragraph on the opposing side of my opinion to keep it unbiased.

Twenty states in the USA have legalized the use of medical marijuana, and two states in the USA have legalized the use of marijuana whether with a medical license or without. In the rest of the country, the buying, selling, smoking, possession and other uses of marijuana are still illegal. Marijuana is the most used drug in the United States. Should recreational marijuana be made legal in the USA? Definitely not. Marijuana should not be made legal in the USA because it is harmful to your health, it can be harmful to your brain and it can harm others around you. In general, it just does more bad than good.

There are many ways in which you can use marijuana, however, most people prefer to smoke it. Studies show that the smoke from this harmful drug actually has 50% to 70% more cancer causing substances and chemicals than cigarette smoke. One joint can do as much damage to your lungs as five regular cigarettes that are chain smoked. It can also be harmful to the growth of your body as well as cause harm to your immune system. Getting high is not worth these health problems. Treat your body right, and your body will in turn treat you right.

One way in which marijuana can impact you in major ways is harm your brain. Studies show that teens that used marijuana on a regular basis showed five to ten points decrease in their IQ. It can also cause anxiety disorders, increase your chances of having panic attacks, reduce your ability to hold information and reduce sexual capacity. In order to keep yourself happy and healthy, you need to keep your brain healthy as well. If your goal is to do this, marijuana is definitely not something you should be using for recreational use.

While you may not think about this, using marijuana doesn't just impact you. It also impacts others around you. Marijuana is the second most frequently found substance in the bloodstream of drivers involved in fatal car accidents. It's also fairly common knowledge that while marijuana is known to create a relaxing high, it can also cause fear, paranoia and aggression in those that use it. These side effects can impact the way you behave and make you irritable which can lead to abusive behaviors towards others. When you choose to smoke marijuana, any number of people can be affected. Not just you.

While it's important to know that marijuana is not a safe drug to use for recreational uses, there also are a few benefits of using marijuana legally under the guidance of your doctor for legitimate health reasons. If used properly, marijuana has been known to slow the spread of cancer cells in certain aggressive cancers, as well as slow the progression of Alzheimer's. It is also known to be a pain reliever for cancer patients and automobile accident victims. However, just like any other drug you would put in your body, marijuana has pros and cons. You've read the cons listed above, and you've seen a short list of the pros. Now, the hard part. Decision time.

My decision has always been clear. Marijuana should not be made legal in the United States. However, in some cases, medical marijuana has been proven helpful in diseases like HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer's, and cancer. Medical marijuana can provide amazing benefits, and should be made legal throughout the United States. Recreational marijuana does not provide any long term benefits and is responsible for many deaths and accidents in the US. Whether or not you will put this deadly drug in your body is your choice, but the legalization of the drug will just make it easier for youths and for adults everywhere to ruin their lives with a single hit of what is becoming the most popular drug in the US.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:34 am
Renard wrote a review...

Hey!

I love essays and I feel you have chosen a very topical issue to comment on here.
So.
I noticed that you use a very personal tone in your work: 'While you may not think about this, using marijuana doesn't just impact you. ' which is great for communicating with the reader, but it can make it sound a little informal.
This depends on the target audiene of your work really and seeing as this is posted on a young writers' site, I think this fits. I liked that.

'My decision has always been clear. Marijuana should not be made legal in the United States. However, in some cases, medical marijuana has been proven helpful in diseases like HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer's, and cancer.' Whether you should have made your persoanl views so blatantly obvious, particularly at the conclusion is another matter, because it should be up to the reader to decide for themselves without your input.
Also, you say that these things do have involvement in diseases but you don't use any statistics to back these claims up, which I would have preferred to have seen because it would have given your work more weighting.

Just a few things there I would edit, other than that, the overall product of the work was great.

Keep writing.

~BSF

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:38 am

Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review.

First of all: Wow. You made your points with extraordinary precision and talent. You don't come off preachy, but instead factual, and I loved how you showed the benefits of marijuana to keep things fair. Honestly, this was amazing. <3

I have to say this was one of the best essays I've read on here. Short (without being too short) and to the point. Not preachy, as I said above. Your opinion is definitely in there, but it's not overwhelming; it's understandable. Plus you told some facts I wasn't aware of, and it's always nice to learn something new—that's what essays are all about, after all. ;)

Wording was great. I saw no repetition or parts that didn't sound quite right. You were frank without being too blunt, and I think even a firm supporter of the legalization of marijuana would, at the very least, be able to see and understand your points and opinions on the subject.

Getting down to the nitty-gritty, I saw only one super-tiny nitpick:

Twenty States in the USA

I don't think the S in "states" should be capitalized there.

Otherwise, I have no notes.

Oh, and you ended on a very strong note with that last paragraph! Nice work. Keep on writing. :)

Awww thanks Lu! I think this is actually the first time you've reviewed any of my works without any nitpicks. I respect your opinion on my works, so this just shows me how much I've grown as a writer. thank you so much!

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena