z

Young Writers Society


Language

The Bard's Ballad Parts 2 and 3

by FantasyWriter76


I wake to the harsh light of day, I observe my surroundings. Walls of rotted wood, cobwebs in the ceiling, and most importantly, an absence of loud snoring that could only be produced by an obnoxious goblin. "Ruut isn't here..." I murmur to myself. "Better not have got into trouble again," as I say this I here Ruut yell, "HANDS OFF MY CAPE, GUARD SCUM!"

Speak of the devil. I take my lute and dash down to the bar. Opening the door, I was greeted by two Royal Guards in the plaza carrying Ruut like they were going to hang him on the wall as a trophy. His feet dangled down like dead leaves trying to stay on their branches.

"Balasar! Little help here?" he snarled. After one very sarcastic eye roll, I unslung my lute. "SHOCKWAVE!" Strumming my lute, I shock the Guards, but I didn't notice a shocked Ruut too. They fell to the ground and I grabbed Ruut. And as I realized my mistake, it was already too late, "DaMmIIIIT!"

                                     ...

"Nice going, dingus." snarled Ruut. "If you hadn't strummed your ukelele, we would have escaped!" Ukelele? Now I'm angry. "HOW DARE YOU CALL MY FOSTER DAD'S LUTE A MEASELY UKELELE!" Ruut had already heard this comeback a mile away, "MR. POINTY EARS? SORRY FOR CALLING YOUR DUMB CELLO A UKELELE!" Another voice joined the conversation, "Knock it off, you two!"

We were both tense. I punched Ruut, "UFF... I forgot how much that hurt," he said. I wondered Where were we going? The Dungeon? The Castle? Another continent? "Balasar, are you doing that thing again?" Ruut said, interruptingly. "What thing?" What was he going on about now? "Ya know, the thing where you look into space and think in italics?" Uhh... skip to next paragraph.

We found ourselves face-to-face with the king of this town, King Roland III of Rolandstan. A very original name, I know. He was a very 'big' man, always eating, decked out with the Royal white and red. "I, King Roland III, am in need of your help," he said. Our help? Why us? "Now you might be thinking, 'Our help? Why us?' in italics." Ruut snickered and said under his breath 'told ya so'. The King continued on, his awareness of my thoughts are apparent as everyone else, "I've asked multiple ruffians that have escaped our dungeon like you, speaking of which we should really put more money into that." 

Ruut wanted to finally say something, "Alright, fatso! What do you need, and if you want us to do it, you better supply us with Royal Guard outfits!" If you didn't know, Ruut thinks his taste in fashion is 'high quality' when the only thing he finds good is the Rolandstan Royal Guard outfits, a white thin-fit tunic with a red stripe on the side with the Rolandstan emblem. "I need you to go to a port town at the edge of the island called Port Deathbane to deliver a message," he said, "...and I'll supply the Royal Guard's clothing, shorty," Ruut wasn't affected by Roland's insult. There was one thing on my mind that was very important, "When we deliver this message, I want one thing, I WANT ALL OF OUR CRIMINAL CHARGES ELIMINATED!"

To be continued...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
275 Reviews


Points: 15319
Reviews: 275

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 pm
elysian wrote a review...



Hello, back for the next chapter!

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

Just to Review:
(things I mentioned to work on in the last review)

Spoiler! :
choppy sentences - make it flow better
show more instead of telling
plot moving too fast
characterization
grammar and spelling checks
dialogue formatting


There doesn't seem to be any grammar problems, so good job on that! Let's get into the story now.

I wake to the harsh light of day, I observe my surroundings.


Tenses! This is in the present tense, and it's really confusing because you keep going between the past and present tense. It's hard to concentrate on what you're saying when I'm focused on the tense. Also, this is very choppy and a telling sentence, especially for your opening lines.

"DaMmIIIIT!"


I understand what you were trying to do here, but it just seems kind of elementary. Maybe use all caps?

"What thing?" What was he going on about now? "Ya know, the thing where you look into space and think in italics?" Uhh... skip to next paragraph.


I understand what you're trying to do here as well, but again, I guess it depends what audience you're looking to reach. If you're going for a younger audience, I can see why this would work. But if you're going for a YA audience, it seems elementary and awkward.

always eating, decked out with the Royal white and red


"decked out" doesn't feel like the correct phrase for the time period this is written in.

Again, with the thinking in italics. It's just so out of place for me, I don't know why. There's no explanation of why they would know this and no one in the real world would say "I bet you're thinking so and so in italics". It's just very awkward.

Okay, I just finished reading and I have a few final opinions before moving on. I feel like you have a fun idea, but I'm finding myself disconnected from the story because I don't feel like I'm really there. I need more sensory descriptions to really make this world come to life, and the pace is just way too fast. I need more background and more characterization. I think you're starting to characterize the two main characters, but they just feel very flat, and like they only have one layer to them. There is no emotional depth to them. These chapters are just so short, it would really help to try and lengthen them. My chapters are always at least 1500 words, and these TWO chapters are only 530 words. There's so much more you could do with the characters and the scene they're in, if you would take the time to really describe your surroundings. You have to understand that even though this world already exists in your head, you gotta realize it doesn't exist in the reader's yet, and you have to give them as much detail as possible without being a broken record.

Hope this helps, onto the next chapter :-)

- Delonie




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 1334
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 am
TheWeirdoFromBeyond wrote a review...



Hi, Prachi here. I saw your sixth chapter in the green room and I wanted to read the story from the start. Let's get into this review.

I really like your characters, especially the goblin. Your character names are unique (except Roland, of course) compared to other stories I have read. And your story is really creative. Nice cliffhanger.

I think you should add more description. In the starting, you described the inn room very well. However, you did not describe the place where Balasar and Ruut were talking to the king.
Some things are not explained properly. After getting stunned, they were going somewhere, but you did not mention how.
Another improvement needed is your paragraphs changing. Start a paragraph after every time a character speaks.
Also, you have changed from past to present and vice versa very often in the story. Try to avoid this.

Amazing story. I will read all your other chapters and review if I find tips to give which are not already covered. All the best for future work.




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 2965
Reviews: 44

Donate
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 am
View Likes
jster02 wrote a review...



Woah! That’s an interesting twist at the end there. I thought they were going to have to escape. Anyways, let’s get right into it.

There were a few things that confused me. The first is how Balasar got shocked. I figured it out after a minute, but it's a little bit unclear. Also, I wasn't sure where they were at the beginning of part three. You said they were going somewhere, but you didn't say weather they were walking, riding in a cart or sailing in a boat.

A stylistic thing I noticed: Some of your sentences are a little repetitive. By that I mean, you use the same word twice in a sentence more times than necessary. It's usually fine with words such as "I" or "it," but not when it comes to verbs or nouns.

For example, at the end Balasar said, "When we deliver this message, I want one thing, I WANT ALL OF OUR CRIMINAL CHARGES ELIMINATED!"

Instead of repeating "want" twice, you could just say, "When we deliver this message, I WANT ALL OF OUR CRIMINAL CHARGES ELIMINATED."

You don't even need to say "I want one thing." It flows better without it. In fact, if you ever see unnecessary words, get rid of them. Pretend you have to pay a dollar for each one you write.

Now that the criticism's out of the way, something I found interesting: They seem to know they're in a story. I can't wait to see what you do with that. Also, I find Ruut and Balasars relationship funny. They're kinda like brothers. They fight sometimes, but you can see each would be willing sacrifice themselves for the other.

Good job with this, you've got me hooked.






Thanks for your review, maybe instead of just picturing the scene, I should describe it too XD. But seriously, thanks!



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1517
Reviews: 37

Donate
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 pm
Boluk wrote a review...



joke review: Dear Fantasy writer 76 you are under arrest....for stealing my heart. you just had to make a well crafted story with amazing characters. Not to mention you've left a cliffhanger and now I'm hungry for more. do you want me to starve?! sincerely, Boluk The supreme and almighty lord of awesomeness and crafting terrible stories.

Real review: In my opinion you made part two just a tiny little bit two short for comfort. perhaps you should add two or three more paragraphs to make it seem longer this is a novel not a short story after all. Dammit was spelled a bit oddly (at least to me ) since instead of just putting it in all caps or even using exclamation marks you just capitalized certain parts but maybe that's just the hypocritical grammar Nazi inside me. continuing on down to part three we have more character building and you are able to show us the reader your sense of humor. "you also break the fourth wall quite a bit which I like. Your characters have a sense of depth. and you might need to add more world building. also you should probably explain why Ruut and Balasar know each other. Overall I rate this 2 and a half King Rolands out of five.

useless padding: in paragraph five line three you make a hint that Ruut is psychic but obviously Ruut is secretly the reincarnation of Boccob, the god of foresight and magic. this clearly means that Balasar is mocking a future god which shows his bravery. also you have a moment where you mock Ruut for his sense of fashion which I do not understand at all. How can you not be overjoyed by the awesomeness of Ruut the one true god?!and also Roland rules an area referred to as Rolandston this of course is an obvious nod to how the goddess Athena got her name to be in thee city of Athens. this of course means that king Roland the third is a god and Ruut knew that which is why Ruut did not respond to Roland's comment. so therefore both Roland and Ruut are gods confirmed! ....yeah.






Thanks for the review! Though there are some flaws that can be resolved by examining part 1. Balasar and Ruut are former prison mates and thieves. Also when Balasar says dammit, he is being shocked by Ruut who is also shocked. I rate your review 4 very original town names out of 5



Boluk says...


Awesome



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 am
FantasyWriter76 says...



The epic tale of Balasar and Ruut continues... criticism is very much welcome!





Time is money, money is power, power is pizza, and pizza is knowledge!
— April, Parks & Rec