Violence

The Bard's Ballad Part 4

by FantasyWriter76

Ruut and I bore the Royal Guard's outfit. For Ruut, he got to live out his dream of being a Royal Guardsmen, even if it was just to deliver a message. But for me? I was anxious about what we were getting into. Once I had gotten on the horse, I felt as if I had a horrible vision.

It started in a dark throne room. All was quiet until suddenly bolts of lightning and the aura of a necromancer in front of me. A horrid pain hit my chest and I fell. Fire engulfed the room and the person bearing the aura zoomed off. That's where I had awakened from the vision.

We decided to stop at a local tavern on the road. Since I was a bard, I had to perform. It was just an instinct. Ruut, on the other hand, was trying to flirt with the bartender. After the performance, I wanted to talk to Ruut about my horrible vision. "Ruut, I don't think we should continue with this quest," I said.

"WHAT!? You're gonna chicken out now!? My precious outfit, Tony, and I are offended!" He hollered. "Did you name your outfit Tony? Nevermind, I had a horrible vision" After telling Ruut of my vision, he told me, "Balasar, you're scaring yourself again. Nothing is gonna happen. We go in, we get out. Simple." I sighed, "Well, if you say so." And here came that anxious feeling again.

We exit to be greeted by some orcs, my least favorite people, trying to steal our steeds. "Excuse me, but I think you got the wrong horses," I say gently. Back in prison, orcs were the worst. They stole your stuff, shanked you in the night, and snored like a rabid wolf. Even Ruut's snoring wasn't as bad as those orcs. But if you were to comment on how they acted, that was a free trip to the infirmary.

The tallest orc, who I assumed was the leader, stood forward, and intimidatingly projected to me, "If you want your spine, I think you should scram, Scaly Man." Scaly man? SCALY MAN!?! My lute and I have never agreed more to kick some orc-butt. I draw my lute and strummed "The Song of The Duelist". I draw my only actual weapon, a rapier, and prepare to fight.

"Are ya sure you want to fight an orc, bud? Last time you did that, you got your signature, crooked head-tail." Ruut told me. We draconic have head-tails, they're kind of like a girl hair-tails, but they're more gender nonspecific. "Ruut, trust me. In all the years we've been on the run, you've never seen me more serious at this moment." This meant freedom, this meant traveling home, this meant looking cool and overemphasizing movements!  

I pointed the rapier at the Orc's face. "These are our horses, and I'm gonna make sure you know that," I declared. "Welp, if you're gonna start a fight, I'll have to join the fun!" Ruut drew his boomstick. The gun was the size of him and he liked it that way. 

"Boys, Mr. Scaly Man and Mr. Tiny want to fight! Let's give it to 'em," The Orc said to his fellow orcs. As he spoke I went in for the first blow, sure it was a cheap move, but it was the only way we'd win. The rapier pierced his armor, sounding like it dug into his flesh. "Unngh..." he moaned. Did I kill him in that first attack

Suddenly a pain hit me from the side, like some kind of sharp blunt object. The Orc I stabbed, the rapier barely reached his flesh before stopping in the armor.  He retaliated by hitting me with his sharp club. Ruut had planned ahead. He had already pointed his gun at the Orc's head. With one slick shot, the head exploded off the Orc. The three orc minions weren't happy, we were both grabbed, arms behind our backs.

The third orc had his sickle ready. He held it over his head, about to strike us down. But before he hit us, he stopped. A stream of blood ran down his chest. A blade sticking out where the blood was born was seen. The Orc fell, revealing a Dark Elf, ears as sharp as her knife. She had a voice like a serenade, "Are you going to help me or not?" She had stunned the orcs such that they loosen their grip, allowing us to knock them out in two good elbows.  

The Dark Elf spoke once more, "I'm Hera. I've come to deliver a message," she seemed like a godsend, a beautiful one to boot. "You don't know what you're getting into, Deathbane is dangerous, that goes for the town and the king," she said. How are many places here named after their King? "I'll meet you in the town, stay alive," and like that, she disappeared in a flash of light.

Who was the beautiful Hera? Was my vision a message to turn back? Will Ruut stop laughing at me because I was blushing when Hera appeared?

To be continued...

elysian wrote a review...

Hello, back for the next chapter!

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

Just to Review:
(things I mentioned to work on in the last review)

choppy sentences - make it flow better
show more instead of telling
plot moving too fast
characterization
grammar and spelling checks
dialogue formatting
what's your audience?

no grammar mistakes I can see in this one either, let's get into it!

I was anxious for what we were getting into. Once I had gotten on the horse, I felt as if I had a horrible vision.

it felt as if or he did?

Here is another place where you have an oppertunity to make a really interesting action scene by showing, but instead you just bluntly give a summary of what happened. Let me try rewriting it to show you what I mean.

--
replace: "It started in a dark throne room."

With:

I found myself in what seemed like a throne room, although it was almost too dark to really see anything, the light from the stained glace windows danced off the two golden chairs in the front of the space.

replace: "All was quiet until suddenly bolts of lightning and the aura of a necromancer in front of me."

With:

The silence in the room was suddenly interrupted by the splitting sound of lighting, and in a flash, the aura of a necromancer was in front of me.

replace: "A horrid pain hit my chest and I fell. Fire engulfed the room and the person bearing the aura zoomed off."

With:

Suddenly, my chest was on fire, and my vision was spotted as I fell to the cold ground. I clutched at my heart, feeling like someone was trying to claw their way from my bosom. Flames began to catch on things around me as the person bearing the aura left as quickly as he had come.

replace: "That's where I had awakened from the vision."

With:

In an instant, I awoke from my vision, my lungs struggling to catch up with my racing heart.

Make sense?

We decided to stop at a local tavern on the road. Since I was a bard, I had to perform. It was just instinct. Ruut, on the other hand, was trying to flirt with the bartender. After the performance, I wanted to talk to Ruut about my horrible vision. "Ruut, I don't think we should continue with this quest," I said.

This is kind of confusing. I don't really know much about this world so this makes no sense to me, and the little bit of explaining doesn't help much. Why did he have to perform? especially with the conquest they're on? And why didn't he say anything to Ruut right after his vision?

I sighed, "Well, if you say so." And here came that anxious feeling again.

Why would he give up so easily after a vision like that? he should try and tell Ruut about his vision to further convince him at least. Also, dialogue formatting is still wrong throughout these chapters, so as you post in future chapters, make sure you change that and fix chapters before that.

We exit to be greeted by some orcs, my least favorite people, trying to steal our steeds.

This sentence is a bit awkward. Try, "As we exited, we were greeted by some orcs, my least favorite people, trying to steel our steeds."

I really wish I had more information about their world. I don't really understand what happens with his instrument, it's really confusing because I've never seen a confirmation of what it does or how he got it.

We draconic have head-tails, they're kind of like a girl hair-tails, but they're more gender nonspecific.

this is a step in the right direction, but still confusing. Is it a ponytail or an actual tail? It's unclear.

This meant freedom, this meant traveling home, this meant looking cool and overemphasizing movements!

confusing??? I'm not sure why he thinks this meant all these things, what did fighting these guys do? I thought it was just so they wouldn't take their horses.

Okay so I really like your last action scene, I think it was the perfect amount of detail and action. It leaves me interested in this Hera person, and excited to read on. Good job!

with that being said, there is still many things to improve on. :-) See you next chapter!

- Delonie

TheWeirdoFromBeyond wrote a review...

Hi, Prachi again. So let's get into this review.

Very creative and love your cliffhanger, again.

As I read through the story, the character of Ruut seems very familiar with a character from Magnus Chase, Blitzen the dwarf.(Fashion craze and always arguing with the main character) If you haven't read it I suggest you do to avoid further similarities.
There are a few grammar mistakes which I wouldn't point out as they are already covered.
I suggested some tips last review
-Descriptions
-Tense
-Paragraphs
And all of them apply to this chapter as well.

Really amazing work. Looking forward to reading your other work.

I was actually trying to make Ruut feel like a Rocket Racoon, just with different traits, Rocket is my second favorite Guardian.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:24 am
Evander wrote a review...

Heyo, FantasyWriter! I'm here for a review, just as promised. I caught up on the previous installments, so my review will be commenting on what I've seen in the past and what I noticed here.

I really like what you're going for. Comedy and fantasy can be really delightful when put together -- and fourth wall breaks are nearly always fun. Balasar and Ruut have potential for really good chemistry. The comedy also has a lot of potential. The big thing right now is that stuff needs to be fleshed out more. The characters, setting, description can (and should be) expanded upon for a richer world. I'll talk about that a little more in-depth later on in the review.

This could be specific to your world, but I'm not really familiar with leaders of towns calling themselves king? I'd heard of mayors, top officials, leaders, presidents (on a rare occasion), but never king. I thought, for a moment, that maybe it was to signify Roland's arrogance, but it looks like the other town also has a king. Is there any specific significance to this? (I'm wondering if it could be reference to a D&D campaign you've played in, but I'm asking here for clarification.)

I'm also a bit confused -- but intrigued! -- by Roland's wants to eliminate all criminal charges. What's his purpose? Why is he giving jobs to criminals? Is there some sort of evil force that's controlling him or is he just brash and reckless? Are there problems with the criminal justice system of your world? I really hope that this gets expanded upon soon, because this sounds like it can be very interesting. My opinion on the matter could be very easily swayed depending on Roland's motivation, but I'm very much in favor of this plot decision. I do think that it could be carried out in a more realistic manner, but (depending on your style) the bluntness could add to the charm.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the paragraphs for dialogue seem a bit off. When somebody new speaks, then there should be a paragraph break. If Ruut is speaking and then Balasar cuts in, then there needs to be a new paragraph for what Balasar says. This helps minimize confusion and maximizes readability.

A good rule of thumb for this is TiP ToP! There should be a paragraph break every Time change, Place change, Topic change, and change in a Person speaking.

One more thing before I move onto the chapter at hand! I've noticed that you seem to switch around tenses a lot. Sometimes the a paragraph will be written in past tense, and then it will switch to present tense half-way through. This can get confusing and distracting for the reader.

All was quiet until suddenly bolts of lightning and the aura of a necromancer in front of me.

This sentence is worded oddly. I'd rephrase to: "All was quiet, until suddenly bolts of lightning hit. The aura of a necromancer appeared in front of me."
It's still a bit stilted, but I think that it can be improved upon with more description. Specifically, about the necromancer's aura. What does the aura of a necromancer feel like? Is it cold? Does it elicit feelings of the creepy-crawlies? Depending on how you describe this, it could stand in great contrast to the comedy. Breathing emotion into scenes is a good article on how to improve description! I highly recommend it.

I draw my lute and strummed "The Song of The Duelist". I draw my only actual weapon, a rapier, and prepare to fight.

Did Balasar put his lute away or does he have his lute in one hand and his rapier in the other? I'm not entirely sure how to imagine this scene.

This description is somewhat confusing. I think there needs to be more elaboration. Draconics (I'm guessing like dragonborn from D&D?) have... head-tails? I don't necessarily understand what hair-tails are, unless they're like the human hairstyle of ponytails. This could definitely be added to for clarification's sake.

So, orcs just love stealing horses? They have no outside motivation other than to steal horses? That seems a bit cliche. While you have a lot of plot threads already, I'd suggest maybe adding a more concrete reason for the orcs trying to steal the horses other than the fact that they're orcs. Maybe they could have some sort of hidden goal? Currently, this group seems a bit one-dimensional. I know they're only here to get the plot moving and to introduce the dark elf, but it would be nice to see them fleshed out in the little time that they have.

Adding Dimensions (2) -- Action Sequences
I'm not too good at dissecting action sequences, so here's a link to an article that could help out!

Okay, so I'm hoping that interaction between Balasar and Ruut could be added to a little bit more. Yeah, they snipe at each other and have each other's backs, but I wish there were scenes that maybe explored their friendship a little bit more? I'll often trade insults with my best friend, but we also have heart-felt conversations in between that. There's a lot more substance to our relationship than what's on the surface. If we just traded insults and only did that, then I probably wouldn't like her as much. (Hoopefully that piece of criticism made sense. If not, then just let me know!)

Alright, that's what I'm going to manage for this review. If you have any questions or comments, then feel free to let me know!

I hope that you'll keep on writing!

-E

Thanks, this was very helpful

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 am
Boluk wrote a review...

(for the joke review I just immediately joke review: Hera as In the the god?! This was supposed to be based off DnD not Percy Jackson. I must say I am disappointed in you FantasyWriter76. You were once majestic and powerful like a demonic Ballerina but you sinned and went to hell, Just like a demonic ballerina.....wait. A. Minute. That. Does. Not. Make. Any. Sense. At. All. oh wait that was padding...My bad. Real Review: First off I love what you've done with Ruut. When this entire ordeal began i thought Ruut Would've been one of those best friend Characters who'v had only one character trait: the friend. no more no less. I must say I truly and deeply adore how you give your characters emotions and have them react to things like a normal person would. You also have Ruit and Balasar reflect off of each other like how Conan reflects off of mens deepest desire. (Weird Comparison I know) Your also giving out more plot and a sense of Mystery which I also adore. However this story can mostly be compared to A melting cake . It's amazing but it's just a bit odd in some parts. By that I mean the simple things like not putting quotation marks at the beginning of some sentences. I've tried to edit some of the other errors (in my opinion at least) so tell me what you think: [S]he seemed like a godsend [and] a beautiful one to boot, "I'll meet you in town, stay alive, and "A blade was sticking out where the blood was seen. In conclusion, your story seems pretty good but you might need to edit the little things a bit more before you release your work I rate you four off exploding heads out of five. Padding: let me tell you about flies, flies houseflies in particular only have a lifespan that ranges from 15 to 30 days that in itself doesn't matter. What does matter is what flies do in said 15 to 30 days. Invade. They nest their eggs inside of nice and warm areas like human flesh. And after a while the eggs hatch and you are able to feel the larvae crawling inside of your body and slurping down your delicious blood like it's a fine wine. Also, flies never lay just one egg. Instead they lay from around five to nine. Can you imagine that ! Five to nine sentient creatures feeding on you. And you wanna know the scariest part. There is nothing you can do to stop it. You just have to wait for it to take its course. Well that's not entirely true. There are some ways to get rid of the pesky buggers,But just to make things a bit interesting I'm not going to tell you what they are. Sweet dreams!

Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 am
FantasyWriter76 says...

Balasar's horrible vision must mean something... stay tuned for more!

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena