z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

We are not alone

by manisha


‘There is a tangible magic in this world,’ you say, ‘look into a mirror, you will see it.’

‘Am I the magic?’ I ask.

‘Yes, every one of us. We are unique. Unique even in the infinity we are living in.’

I nod; I never argue with you. You take my hand and press my fingers to your lips. Warm against cold.

‘Isn’t it an ethereal feeling?’ you ask, your face animated. ‘To know that there is no one like you. Your singularity is visible in your thoughts, in your words, on your fingertips.’ You kiss my fingers and look at me. I smile.

‘I’m glad you understand,’ you say. I look away. If your words were to be immortalized on paper and let off into the world, people would never look at the universe the same way. You would be touching lives, giving it sense or direction. You would make the ordinary extraordinary. Instead, you picked me to be your only listener. And I don’t understand anything.

You are now lying on your back, staring at the sky. You once said that the sky existed so that man can feel protected. I didn’t know what you meant.

‘There is no one like us, you see,’ you continue, oblivious to my unease . ‘And yet we are not alone.’

‘You have me,’ I say as if in conformity to your philosophy.

‘And many more.’ You glance at me to see if I understand. I don’t have to pretend this time, you can see the question in my eyes.

‘Take these unique people and dig to their bones. They are alike. We take this basic structure and create an identity. Without that we are all the same.’

‘Is that bad?’ I ask with no cognition.

‘No. It says we are not alone.’

~

If only.

If only I had been courageous enough to ask you what you meant all those times you spoke about not being alone, I would know what I was to feel now. The wind whistles in my ear, the noise making it lonelier than in reality. There is no hand stretched towards me, no one holding me safely; I’m falling, and Death is waiting. What do you say now? I want to ask.

You always said that at the last moment of a meaningful journey, when we are at the end, we must remember we are dying a hero. I asked you why we couldn’t be heroes before the final moment.

‘Because the fight is not over yet,’ you had said simply. I took the words on face value. Now, when I’m flying or falling, I don’t feel like a hero.

‘Do you remember what the poem said?’ you asked one day. There is only one thing that made your eyes light up like it was feeding on the very energy of the world. I might not be able to comprehend your ideas but I could read you like you were me.

‘Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less travelled by?’

‘Yes! What if the poet was wrong. What if we are all taking the same road but with only different perception of the road-,’ you frown slightly and I know you are struggling to put your thoughts into words. ‘What if the same road looks different to each one, an illusion, hence it feels like we are taking different paths.’

‘What if it is?’ It doesn’t matter, is what I really want to say.

‘Then we need not fear. Because…because…there are many walking along with us. We just can’t see them in the dimension our minds function.’

We are not alone. That is what you meant even then. All your thoughts spoke about it. And all of it was spoken only to me. Yet, I don’t understand.

Behind all your profound words, I knew there was a streak of something different. Insanity, perhaps. I witnessed it when you told me to take a leap of faith and jump off the edge of the world.

‘When we fall, the intensity of our dreams will keep us alive,’ you said with such confidence I believed you. The jump off the building was easy; the drop was a mix of emotions.

Something tells me no philosophy will keep me alive today.

The wind whips my clothes and the air presses against my body. My eyes remain trained on the ground below me, it waiting to embrace me. Immediately the people below me form a web of hands, readying themselves to meet me. The web strains as I hit it but it holds and I live. The people start to laugh and clap me on my back. A whoosh of air leaves my lungs and I almost faint with relief. This is no serendipity. You knew they were going to catch me.

‘Good job,’ a girl says, winking at me. They set me down and prepare to meet the next daredevil. I stagger to the side and watch.

You look like an angel falling; your hands stretched out wide and looking carefree. I imagine I can see your expression from this distance. Your eyes are closed and in meditation.

I realize then. What you have tried to convey all those times.

We truly are not alone.

Even when one goes to war, followed by no army or men, there is always something against to fight. When we fall, someone is there either to catch us or to rise above us. We survive this world with all its complexities because like a mosaic there are many pieces- each different but fitted together.

Safe, you make your way to me. You take me into your arms and I can feel your heart beating in thrill and adventure.

‘I think you are right. There really is no other road. Just one in different shades and we walk together.’

We are all unique, but not alone.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:31 pm
Hattable says...



Just one question... why did I kiss your fingers?




manisha says...


XD
I put that there as in the next line he speaks about fingerprints.



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1067
Reviews: 83

Donate
Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 am
View Likes
Dutiful says...



This made me tear up a little bit. I loved reading every bit <3

Good job, manisha!

Because the fight is not over yet


aaaaaaaaaaah my favorite line <3




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:34 pm
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hi Manisha!

Now that I have read this, I am so grateful I did. Dreamy couldn't have said it better - this was beautifully written. I absolutely loved your choice of words, and thought they sounded poetic and yet built a lovely story. I am not kidding when I say this is one of the best works I have read that you have written yet ^^ As well as it just being wonderful to the eye, it also beheld such a message of the fact that we are not alone. And I am sure lots of people need to hear that message. That aside, even though it was so short you still managed to tell a story. At first I thought the person she spent time talking to was dead, and then that she was committing suicide because of it - but then you turned it all around. It's near impossible for short stories to have what people call "plot twists" but you did have a mini one in here. Basically this short story had everything I ever dreamed a perfect short story should have in it. I honestly cannot stress how brilliant this piece of work is, Manisha. Keep writing things like this and you are well on the way to being published ;)

I will say that I haven't got much for you but nitpicks. I think they should be pulled out though, just so we get those little ugly things out the way and this piece of work can truly shine as it is ^^ I would say that one thing I wondered was who this man was to the main character. I am thinking a lover, but it could be a brother, a best friend... maybe in some cases a father even. I am not sure, but then again I am not sure if I want to know? You could discretely hint at which it is, but then I am sure some would argue that it is nice that we never know. If you could manage to weave it subtly in there so those who are looking for it could find it - now that would be perfect. Usually I am more help, but I am not quite sure how you would go about doing it xD

You are now lying on your back


Okay, so I found the second person voice to be different. Not many people opt for it because not many can do it well. (Though, you already know you aced it). But there are some things which sound choppy, and this bit of the sentence would be one of them. I would change this to 'You like on your back.' Not sure why but it seems to flow better in my opinion.

What if the poet was wrong.


I felt like this was posed as a question, so it needs a question mark.

Because…because…there are many walking along with us.


You've hit a pet peeve of mine here! There needs to be a space after the ellipsis... like this. Otherwise, you are technically joining those two words together likethis and technically, that doesn't make sense. So make sure that all important space is in between those words and the ellipsis!

all of it was spoken only to me. Yet, I don’t understand.


Seeing as you are referring to the past here, it should be 'I didn't' instead.

My eyes remain trained on the ground below me, it waiting to embrace me.


The second half of this sentence after the comma sounded a bit iffy. Here's a suggestion to rearrange it to run smoothly: waiting for it to embrace me.

Otherwise, Manisha, there really is no more for me to say. You keep this wonderful writing up, and keep writing more of it! ^.^

Deanie x




manisha says...


Thank you loads for the review! This was an entry for a contest and when it didn't get selected I could only see this short with doubts. Reading your review did me good :)
I didn't know about the space after the ellipsis. I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you again!



User avatar


Points: 539
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:04 pm
View Likes
idika wrote a review...



The ending line hit me so hard that I nearly cried. (It's funny, you can laugh at me.) Thank you for taking the time to submit this, sweetie. I'm sure this touched not only me, but plenty of people reading as well.

I truly thought you had poetic flow and strength here. It was quite apparent with your use of loaded words, along with short sentences.




manisha says...


Thank you for the comment :D



User avatar
382 Reviews


Points: 15691
Reviews: 382

Donate
Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:00 am
View Likes
Dreamy wrote a review...



Hello there, darling.

Lets get to business. You have this incredible power of making anything sound poetic and beautiful. I envy you for that, mademoiselle. But this short story, written for a competition you say so I'm assuming that you had word limit, it did sound poetic with all its quirkiness and philosophies but it sorta felt like it quite didn't connect with me. It didn't strike the cord. It felt like a slam story. I didn't know who the "you" was, I didn't know if it was a boy or a girl or the MC itself. It sorta mattered to me because you talk about identity in this story. You talk about basic structure and uniqueness. I hope you see my point.

The one nitpick. ;)

times when?you spoke about not



Even when one goes to war, followed by no army or men, there is always something against to fight.


This line here, I don't think it conveys what you want it to. I don't understand.

I think that's all I have.

Cheers!




manisha says...


This review came at such a right time! It is exactly what I needed to hear but didn't know it. I understand when you say you aren't able to connect to it. I was so involved with the plot and philosophy I forgot the character development. Thank you for the review!



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 449
Reviews: 24

Donate
Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:50 am
View Likes
siyasingh wrote a review...



I really like this ,lets call it a,story a lot.It has deep meaning and is very philosophical. After reading the story the reade is left with something to think about. I really liked the way you have used so many hard words it really adds a lot to the story. I like thi pargraph a lot-
‘What if the same road lthat. different to each an illusion, hence it feels like we are taking different paths.’
This line leaves me with a lot to think about and i realize how true it is. Another reason i liked this story is because it has a lot of honesty in it. It makes me think of things i have never thought of before. Only one thing was left un clear for me and that was who was talking with whom .please let me know that. The part when you wrote abot jumping from the building amd that the speaker was actually safe after jumping that part reminded me a lot of the book divergent when tris jumps from the building to prove herself. So in all i really thought this story is fantastic.i hope ro read more of your work. Keep it up.




manisha says...


Thank you!




"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf