Center of Circle of Life

by manisha

The world goes quiet before a storm approaches. It also happens when the world is about to gain a knowledge that will redefine life. As the footsteps get closer, the chatter in the room dies down. The small huddle of people around the hearth watch the entrance to the room, waiting for the tall figure to appear. Everyone seems to take a deep breath when they see him- the young man they have come to respect.

As soon as he enters, his eyes nervously dart around searching for me. I step out of the shadows to let him know. People throw him welcoming smiles, acknowledging his presence. Having eyes only for me, his icy hands reach for mine and hold it like an anchor. Finally, he turns towards the group, faces of all mature ages look up at him. It is impossible really, that a man who could intimidate a crowd so would be terrified of people.

When we first met, I saw him limping and dragging himself across the street, a bundle held in his hands. He had rescued a cat from the local bullies and they had beaten him up. He had walked up to me and put the bundle into my hands.

‘Take him to the doctor,’ he had said and collapsed. I had taken both to the doctor.

‘What is your name?’ he had asked me, sitting up on the hospital bed. He had a beautiful face, chiseled to make people never forget his burning bright eyes.

‘Kaiya,why?’

‘It’s a beautiful name. Kaiya. Don’t go.’

I don’t know why I stayed, only that I never left.

When he starts to speak, the room seems to darken a few shades, leaving only him glowing in the firelight. I think I glow too, connected to him by our interlinked hands, but the audience has eyes only for him.

‘-before I start I need to thank you all for coming. We have all been involved with our own lives, our jobs and ambitions keeping us busy,’ he is saying. He is wearing a black sweater with the long sleeves pushed back in neat folds; in the orange light it looks a warm brown.

‘We formed this group, a year back, to understand the workings of the universe and unravel its secrets. Since then, we have not stepped aside from that goal, we have not forgotten what we pledged our lives to. We move in tandem with nature continuing to answer the questions the world throws at us, endlessly embracing the omens left in the wake of moving time.’ He smiles lightly. The crowd responds with a nod.

‘We are people who believe that the greatest puzzles are those which have the answers within them. These answers are the omens that we consider our beacon.

‘Life is a puzzle, and we know the answer lies within it.’ He stops and moves a step closer to me. No one notices but I know. I clutch his fingers tighter, telling him, wordlessly, to go on.

‘Few days back I realized that we forgot to answer a very crucial thing. If life is a puzzle, what kind is it?’ The crowd shifts, disarmed by his words. They exchange a glance with each other, using the pause to contemplate his words. If words were energy, his were the most powerful. They latched themselves onto the listener, demanding to be heard and believed in.

The eyes return to him, wanting for him to go on.

‘I think I know the answer. Interpretation is subjective, so is rationalization. What I say is only what I think.’ Even as he says it, none of us believes that. Whatever he says is the ultimate truth to our mind. We wouldn’t be here otherwise, watching him with reverence and drinking in his each word.

‘Life is a puzzle; it is a maze. A circular one, that finishes at the end. The thing about a maze is that we only need the knowledge of where the start and the finish are; it isn’t the goal. The goal is the journey through the maze, the way we reach the finish,’ he pauses.

‘This begs the questions, an important one, what is at the center of the circle of life?’

~

When the meeting breaks, the chatter picks up; the group makes their way to the inn below the rented room. He walks into the night, talking me along. We find the lone well behind the inn and sit perched on its wall. A minute passes and he starts to hum, a tune that belongs to no song I know. He sways in rhythm to the breeze and I watch him hypnotized. There is a silence his humming has brought on. When he stops, I ask,

‘Why did we organize that meeting? When all you left with them is another question with no answer?’

He chuckles as if my doubt amuses him.

‘People all over the world are in pursuit of something. Always searching for something -love, happiness, a teacher. But very few search for a journey itself. This group is for such people, those whose objective is the pursuit. And no pursuit can be achieved without knowing where we are going. The omens are for that-’

‘A guiding light,’ I interrupt, nodding. I know this.

‘Yes. We meet to discuss the questions- never the answer -for each person’s omen is unique. Can I tell you something? I believe that omens are cheat codes. A way to solve the mystery of life.’ He glances at the heavens. I do too to be greeted by winking stars. What is about the sky that feels like it holds the answers to every problem?

‘So, what is at the center of circle of life? What is at the finish of the maze? Death?’ I ask. He laughs again and takes my hand to kiss it, letting the lips linger on my wrist.

‘One would think that,’ he says simply. ‘Death is only the end. Not the finish.’ He smiles seeing the next question form in my eyes.

‘What is at the finish?’

‘That is the question. One we must answer if we strive to continue the journey we are on. We must always know where the end and finish is, like in a maze, to know the way.’

It was easy to believe him, he spoke with such confidence. Being with him, following his journey, I’ve discovered parts of him that both amaze me and scare me. He has a streak of insanity that feeds his ideas. But aren’t all great people unstable?

‘We don’t need to be scared of anything,’ he promised me one day, ‘we have the cheat codes,’ he smiled. Cheat codes. Omens. Puzzles and answers.I believed them all.

We were in college when I first saw the fire that was always contained in his eyes release until he was burning all over. He started to find meaning in everything.

‘Why do you think it is raining today?’ he had asked, holding me to him as we stood in the open. The rain drummed around us, drenching us.

‘I don’t know!’

‘Because we need it more than we needed it yesterday.’ It made no sense, but I saw the patterns he was pointing at. Things were happening for a reason.

Standing at the edge of the cliff is a cliché, but he does it in a singular way. His body is slightly arched, poised to challenge the wind that blows against us. He is staring at the ocean below us as if he is its master.

‘Don’t do this,’ I whisper, too scared to speak loud. He holds out his hand for me to take. His fingers that trembled in presence of a large crowd now held my hand with a determined grip.

‘This is the answer,’ he says, his eyes shining with animation, ‘we find out the finish by reaching the end. Imagine! To be the first to learn about the finish and when we come back, we will know the way of our journey! Our search will end!’

‘What if we don’t come back?’

‘We will,’ he says with certainty. ‘The end is the cheat code.’

Covering behind his frame, I ask myself if I truly trust the omens to get me through this. Life is a maze; a maze has the journey, a start, and a finish. But no end.

End. The word finally sinks. This is not the finish. Just the end, just death.

‘We will rise like the phoenix, my love,’ he promises.

‘Okay,’ I say. He smiles and pulls me along.

Together, we jump.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:51 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Hello manisha, Flite here for a review. I've been meaning to review this ever since I saw it, the little spoiler you put at the front really grabbed me. So, I quite like this story, or rather the message it conveys to the reader. Anyways, let's down to it.

Pacing and characters:

I think overall, your pacing for this story was too fast. One event jumped to the other with little transition in between. For one, look at the initial interaction between Kaiya and the MC, we hardly get to know them before everything speeds up. I think you should have expanded that scene befor emoting on, it'd have made your characters much more sound and more realistic.

Since I'm talking about their initial meeting, I think I will just run along that tangent. The scene itself is somewhat realistic, he was a perfect stranger whom had just thrust this kitten into her hand, out of the kindness of her heart, she had taken both to the doctor. Yet when he asked her not to leave, she just said yes? I think you're missing something here. There must have been something about him that propelled her to stay, a quality, his eyes, his aura, the way he held himself. Something that separate him from the rest. You need to talk the reader what exactly it was before continuing. Otherwise, the scene is rushed, the character undeveloped and the readers don't get a very good visual of what's happening.

Content and dialogue:

Alright, here, I'm going to start off with the content and the reason as to why it's so rushed. You've tried to pack a lot of information here, or should I convoluted information here (about life, about the universe, about the death) in a simple form. I've seen very few authors who's managed to convey information in short words, two that comes to mind are, Haruki Murakami and Donna Tartt (shall you ever have the time check them out). And because of that, you've tried to convey that information in various ways. Mainly through dialogue, which was why, half of your dialogue sounded like an info dump.

So, I'm not actually sure exactly what you're trying to say here. Because there are Mutiple messages that had been said and left hovering, self-discovery, rebirth after death..etc. Which also makes your narration incredibly ambiguous. So, I suggest you choose one message and base your characters and plot around it. Except this time, slow down the pace, and think about how you want to express this idea. Through action? Or something else.

I've extracted a section of your dialogue:

He chuckles as if my doubt amuses him.

That dialogue was basically an info dump, meaning that they only talked for the sake of the information and not actually 'talking'. Try and add in some more intimate details that actually show their relationship, because right now, the MC sounds like he's preaching to her. Watch out how you write your dialogue. There is an article here that gives you some tips on how to write dialogue.

Continuity:

So, as Locke have said, your chapter is paced ridiculously fast. You need to slow down, not only that a lot of your scenes are very disjointed and don't connect to each other. There are random moments where there are flashbacks and then suddenly, we're back into the present. With no true correlation between them, I'm not even sure what those flashbacks are for (because they're too short to serve any purpose). If you're going to have flashbacks, I suggest you write one where it tells us how they met, and how they developed feelings for each other. Also, some background on the protagonist would be good too.

In all, this is an intriguing idea, all the best for future writing. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

-Flite

manisha says...

Thank you for the review!
Apart from the other things you mentioned I agree that there is more than one message. That probably is a overload. This was forced writing and it obviously shows.
Thanks again!

manisha says...

Thank you for the review!
Thanks again!

Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 pm
JohnLocke1 wrote a review...

Hello, my friend.

First, I must tell you that this is my first review in quite a while. I apologize in advance; I may be a little rusty. Having said that, what an incredibly cerebral short story! The short story form is difficult to master, but the results can be magnificent. I am a fan of surprise endings, and I certainly did not expect this one. Bravo, my friend.

Second, some grammatical things:

He had rescued a cat from the local bullies and they had beaten him up.

Joining two independent clauses in this way isn't encouraged. It doesn't flow properly as is. And forgive me in advance, for I speak of 'flow' frequently. Perhaps try, "He had rescued a cat from the local bullies, and they had beaten him up for it." Or simply devolve the two independent clauses into one, "He had been beaten up after he'd rescued a cat from the local bullies."

We move in tandem with nature continuing to answer the questions the world throws at us, endlessly embracing the omens left in the wake of moving time.

I would consider placing a comma after nature. Other wise, the clause spills over into your next thought. It does not flow well, and it confuses the reader as to when one thought ends and another begins. Clarity is akin to godliness to a writer.

When the meeting breaks, the chatter picks up; the group makes their way to the inn below the rented room.

A semicolon is not necessary here. Separating this sentence into two clauses would be perfectly acceptable. Although these sentences are similar, a semicolon does not truly fit grammatically in this situation. I may be wrong here in regards to grammar, but I am going to suggest this as a stylistic change as well.

What is about the sky that feels like it holds the answers to every problem?

A missing word here: "What is it about the sky..."

He smiles seeing the next question form in my eyes.

Without a comma after "seeing," this sentence implies that he was smiling as the next question was forming in her eyes, as opposed to because the next question was forming in her eyes. It may seem picky, but the little things always matter.

Covering behind his frame, I ask myself if I truly trust the omens to get me through this.

Covering behind his frame? Did you perhaps mean, "Cowering behind his frame..."

Third, some stylistic suggestions:

I applaud you for writing this in the present tense. I, as a writer, tend to stray from writing in what I refer to as the "accursed tense of Satan himself." However, it is only because of my sad inability to do so. You, however, have managed to pull it off. It forces the reader to feel in the moment.

The world goes quiet before a storm approaches.

Although you say that standing on the edge of a cliff is cliche, I believe that beginning any writing by talking about how quiet everything before a storm is is far more cliche. I would recommend finding your own unique way to begin this story. An opening sentence can destroy a piece of writing, or make it wonderful.

The world goes quiet before a storm approaches. It also happens when the world is about to gain a knowledge that will redefine life. As the footsteps get closer, the chatter in the room dies down.

After having read the entire short story, I don't think that you should begin with either of the first two sentences. They really have nothing to do with the story at large. I would simply begin with the footsteps. It is far more interesting, in my opinion. However, these are purely stylistic suggestions. You have no obligation to follow them.

I step out of the shadows to let him know.

To let him know what? This sentence confused me. I stared at it for a very long time.

Having eyes only for me, his icy hands reach for mine and hold it like an anchor.

If his hands reach for her hands, why is he holding "it" like an anchor? Is he only holding one hand? Specificity is key for any writing.

Finally, he turns towards the group, faces of all mature ages look up at him.

This sentence does not flow well. Either separate this into two clauses, or change the second clause. It adds far too much bulk to the overall language of the sentence.

It is impossible really, that a man who could intimidate a crowd so would be terrified of people.

I would suggest placing a comma after impossible. It allows the reader to see the clear definition between the thoughts.

Saying, "I had taken both to the doctor," implies that, before meeting this boy and this cat, the girl had taken them to the doctor. I would recommend saying, "I took them both to the doctor."

He had a beautiful face, chiseled to make people never forget his burning bright eyes.

My great weakness as a writer is description, especially of human beings. How was his face beautiful? How was his face chiseled? Picture your characters in your head. You may know what they look like perfectly, but the reader does not. Simply saying the boy is "beautiful" helps no one.

‘It’s a beautiful name. Kaiya. Don’t go.

Put something between him speaking about her name and telling her not leave. It seems far too immediate and rushed. Don't ruin exposition.

‘-before I start I need to thank you all for coming. We have all been involved with our own lives, our jobs and ambitions keeping us busy,’ he is saying.

You can simply say, "...he says." I don't know if you like it the other way, but it seems like a mouthful.

He stops and moves a step closer to me. No one notices but I know.

I would suggest placing a comma after "notices." It adds a layer of intimacy to the statement, instead of lumping her thoughts in with the crowd.

If words were energy, his were the most powerful.

I didn't like this metaphor. It seemed rather rushed.

There is a silence his humming has brought on.

No there isn't. He is humming, isn't he? That is a sound.

‘I don’t know!’

This seemed outrageously rushed. Suddenly they knew each other in college? How old are they? In regards to style, it ruined the simplicity of this moment between your two characters. I would recommend filling the scene in the inn with all of this exposition, and leaving this moment just for them.

Overall, your style seems to be that of a natural story teller. You set your scenes well, and I can picture them in my head well.

Fourth, your characters:

I would flesh out your characters a bit more. I had no idea how old they were, or even really a good idea of what kind of people they were. Exposition is needed, like the flash backs you added. I would recommend spending more time with those scenes. Tell us more of these people. Although it is a short story, characters must be alive.

Fifth, your plot:

I don't think I need to tell you that this made absolutely no sense whatsoever. But, that's why this worked. I may be completely wrong, but I read this as a story about a cult following their charismatic leader to the death. It chilled me to the core as he spoke of rising like a Phoenix. If that wasn't your intention, I apologize. Let me explain: none of his logic made sense. It all seemed like garbage, which is what cultist live off. I didn't understand it, and I don't think I was meant to? I apologize thoroughly if I am wrong. If I'm not, what a dark, macabre tale you have spun.

Overall, an interesting, possibly dark, short story. I enjoyed reading it. If you have anything you'd like read, I would be happy to indulge you. Keep me posted. Happy Writing!

manisha says...

Thank you for this wonderful review!
I have a big problem with run on sentences and you picked them out and explained how I could better them. That was really helpful.

I don't usually write present tense, I don't think I pulled it off well here. It feels empty somehow to me.

Thank you for those great suggestions. I've been trying to write this for over two weeks (I have about three versions of the same concept) but none seems to satisfy me. :/

And the plot! It's discouraging that it made no sense. That was not what I intended. It was supposed to be dark and twisted but have meaning in a very messed up way. Ah, well.

I'm probably going to scrap this too and see if I can save the plot with a different outlook.

Thank you again!

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna