Mantaxila from Kaxteborous

by Dracula, Sienna246

This is a short story that sienna246 and I wrote during two boring lunchtimes. I finished it later on. Anyway, it's just a really random, hilarious piece of work.

What I wrote is typed normally like this and what sienna246 wrote is in bold. A teacher came along at one point, her sentence is in italics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once upon a time there lived an alien from Kaxteborous. She had six scaly arms, and a long eel-like tail that she used to swim around her homeland, dashing after her prey.

Ten years ago, Mantaxila (that was her name) had been blown away to earth when a terrible storm had hit her home planet. Mantaxila's sisters were lost in the storm and she wasn't sure where they had landed. So, after being taken in by a kind family, she made it her mission to find them.

She set out first thing in the morning with an apple, a sandwich and one litre of water in her backpack. She made sure she had three pairs of gloves for her hands and a big warm wooly hat.

She swam for several hours until she came to the opening of a river. It was guarded by a big, hungry crocodile.

"Pay me so you can pass, or I may eat you!" the crocodile growled.

Mantaxila thought quickly and decided what to do. She pulled out her sandwich. The crocodile snatched the food and let her pass.

Mantaxila continued along the river, warily peeking out of it when she saw a movement to her right. Was it a burglar? A scary monster just waiting to attack? There was a loud roar and she darted back beneath the water, swimming until her breath came in ragged gasps.

Suddenly, Mantaxila was flung out of the river! To her disbelief, she was caught in the claws of a big, red dinosaur!

"Don't eat me!" said Mantaxila. "Take this apple instead!"

The dinosaur thought over it for a moment before shaking his head and giving an almighty roar! Mantaxila was thrown back into the river with a splash, but the dinosaur was still hungry and even angrier than before.

"I shall eat you now, you're just a puny human!" The monster opened up its jaw, showing two rows of very sharp teeth.

"No!" Mantaxila climbed onto the river bed. "I am not a human!" As she stood her bag fell open, revealing her water, apple, gloves and hat.

"Wait!" The dinosaur glanced at the wooly hat, "My tip of my tail gets awfully cold. Give me that and I won't eat you."

And so Mantaxila handed over the wooly hat. The dinosaur put it on his tail, and turning around, he began stomping away in search of his dinner.

"Wait!" Cried Mantaxila. "Do you know where my sisters are?"

If the dinosaur did know, he wasn't going to tell her. It disappeared over a hill. Mantaxila sighed and decided to swim further down the river. As she progressed on her journey, she noticed that the river was getting shallower. Soon she wouldn't be able to swim any further!

Just before she had to turn back around, she came upon secret underwater tunnel. Closing her eyes, she moved her special under-water eyelids open so she could see through the water. She pushed her way through the reeds and entered the tunnel.

She followed the tunnel until it opened into a grotto full of moss and vines. The water got very cold suddenly and Mantaxila scrambled onto a rocky ledge to put on her three pairs of gloves.

Suddenly she heard a whimper and looked up. Hanging from the vines was a cage. In the cage were her sisters!

Then she saw the creatures who were holding them captive. There were six of them- large, scaly creatures that were the size of giants and wearing ugly yellow and purple polka-dot jumpers. The one that was building the fire had a picture of a reindeer face on his.

And then she saw their eyes- hundreds of them! Whenever one turned its head, she could see those blood red eyes peering in all directions.

Whatever was she going to do? First of all, she had to help her sisters. She looked up at them and whispered, "What can I do to get you out?"

"You have to bargain with them-" one sister replied but was interrupted by the other. "Get us some water, please, we're so thirsty!"

The creatures heard the plea and their eyes shot all over the place. Mantaxila had time to throw her water bottle up through the cage bars before the giant monsters stood up and came eagerly running towards her.

Mantaxila braced herself, thinking that she was going to end up trapped like her sisters. But the creatures stopped dead in their tracks a metre away from her. Their eyes twisted in odd directions as they attempted to smile.

"Come to trade, ay?" one bellowed.

"We got all sorts a goods!" said the second.

"Cups, clothes, ships, ya name it!" the third grinned, all his eyeballs dancing in their sockets.

Before the other three creatures had a chance to talk, Mantaxila knew what she had to do. "I'm interested in these two. Name your price."

The first creature clapped his hands together, "Rare specimens, these er! Show us what ya got!"

Mantaxila pulled out the only thing she had left in her backpack. The apple. The thousands of eyes on all six creatures burst from their sockets.

"It's unbelievable!" The fourth spoke for the first time.

"We must have it!" The first shouted.

"I've neva seen such a thing before!" The second raised his hand. "All in favour of this 'ere trade, raise yer hand!"

All twelve arms lifted into the air and almost touched the roof of the grotto. The second creature snatched the apple from Mantaxila with his left hand. With his right, he pulled at the vines holding the cage so that it fell it to the ground and opened.

Mantaxila hurried to her sisters and embraced them in her six arms. They quickly scurried out of the grotto and made the long journey back along the river. When they arrived back to the kind family who had helped Mantaxila, all three were welcomed. 

...And they all lived happily ever after.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:53 am
catherinemurder15 wrote a review...

Well.. this is definitely a children's stories.
A story with a moral to be courageous and use your intellect appropriately.

It will be a good bedtime story!

In the introduction, it would have been better add more details about the aliens and their home land and how she came earth. A few sentences about the family that took her in will also be good.

Otherwise, your little adventure is a very interesting read!
The way of writing is crisp, sharp, simple and easy to understand. It will be a fun story for kids.

keep up the good work!!! :)

anabelsinclair wrote a review...

This was certainly an interesting read.
I had to throw logic out of the window by the second paragraph, which is not something I've done in a while. This story makes a lot of sense either as a children's work (the whole throwing logic out the window thing) or emerging greatness in the lines of Terry Pratchett and Diane Wynn Jones (in which case, more! drama!)

Mantaxila is quite the bold heroine, setting after her sisters as she did. Her interchange with each obstacle/ creature encountered only served to establish her character to me the reader. I would like to know a little more about her home world and the kind family so sanguine about taking in multi pedal ETs.

Kudos to you and your friend, I encourage you to hatch more adventures for this unique work!

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix