Growth

by Charm

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:11 am
notmaria wrote a review...

I love this poem! The first stanza is great, and I loved the personification of Growth throughout the poem. There are a couple things that I think might improve the flow of the poem.
First off, a consistent rhyme scheme. In some areas, you use rhyme, but in others you don't. I don't know if it was a stylistic choice or not, but it just didn't really work for me.
Secondly, punctuation. After blood, I would put a period instead of a comma. You're still talking about Growth, but you're no longer describing her. Instead, you're describing the event that the poem is about. I'd signal that transition with a period.
Also, you need a period after eyes, since it's the end of a sentence. It would be more grammatically correct if you put a period after blade as well.
Great work!

Charm says...

Thanks so much for your advice. I didn't intentionally rhyme though.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 am
notmaria says...

I love this!!

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:55 am
RowenaLynn wrote a review...

Heyo! This is a really cool piece! I personally like your choice of the lowercase "i" ... I believe that in poetry it's a choice to spell correctly or capatalize and whatnot. The shortness may seem disappointing or dissatisfying to a reader, but it honestly also is what highlights certain parts and makes it stand out. I had to think more about this poem, which is a good thing because, well, sometimes a poem is... to explicit? Too just, like, "this is this and sadness or happiness". I don't know šŸ˜‚.
But I LOVE the stanza that goes
"so quiet and soft is Growth;
so often unseen, unknown."
To me that one really stood out and was pretty amazing.
The ending may be a bit abrupt as the review before me said, but then again, poetry is abbot of a different form of writing and it's more depending on the author. Different people/readers would think differently with all pieces, so it really just depends on what you think about it all. About every piece of the poem. Don't forget that. And keep writing!
Happy Review Day!

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:12 am
Aliceinhorrorland wrote a review...

Heyyy, Iā€™m here to review this! Okay so this is a short but sweet poem, which is cool. I wish it were a little longer though, in my opinion. I actually really enjoyed reading this poem, and I think it flowed together pretty nicely, and thatā€™s a difficult thing to do. One thing I have to say ā€œgrammar/spelling wiseā€ is that youā€™re technically supposed to capitalize the ā€œI.ā€ Itā€™s not like it ruined the poem or anything, just thought Iā€™d let you know. Overall, this is a pretty special poem. Especially if you wrote it after not writing poems for like 5 months, so really good job! One last thing I have to say is, I think it ended really abruptly, I feel like this poem needs a better ending to bring it some more justice. Anyways! That all I have to say, I really liked your wording! Hope to see more of your work.

~CAKEEEE~

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead