(E&iC) The Art of Math & Ladybird Eating

by BenFranks

Extract from my column based book. (And blog)

Earth & Its Contents

by Ben Franks

The Art Of Math & Ladybird Eating

Today, I realised that mathematics was beginning to become a bore, and this had taken approximately 4,500 billion banana years to reach this judgement. You see, in maths, nothing really happens and most naive students would question it's relevance in the world today. Like I did.

So, the teacher, instead of doing her job and pitching to me the weird and wonderful lengths in which Algebra or something as pointless as trigonometry would come in useful during my day-to-day activities of sleeping, working and drinking bad coffee, she merely said "Go and find out."

Now, to my distress, I couldn't resist doing so. However, firstly, I required some kind of amusement. I pondered on the prospect momentarily before residing to searching the "Point of Maths" in Yahoo and laughing at the suggestions Yahoo threw at me. They're like an uneducated version of Google who's stuck in a constant cylce of hormone packed pubity and sexual wavelengths. Yahoo is useless. Thus, I fulfilled my need of entertainment and asked Mr. Google what the point of Maths was and he gave me a long list of things such as 'engineering' and 'cashiering'. However, I decided that these were obvious and then drew every last bit of focus to a most unusual link I'd found.

Somehow, Google had been convinced that "The manual of eating ladybirds" was related to Maths and, much to my amusement, I soon discovered that you need Maths more-so whilst you consume a ladybird, than you do when you put together a Royal Airforce jet engine or even when you embark on the hardest task of all and try and calculate the cost of a cup of coffee in Starbucks.

Any'oo. Back to the ladybird manual.

Apparently, to make the most of its taste, you need to eat it in a certain way, which requires extensive uses of trigonometry so you angle your teeth in an exact way to fulfill an exact taste. However, there is then the danger that it touches the wrong part of your tongue, so apparently you need to do some Algebra. I'm told that T (for taste) = A (for area of tongue) x C (for 'Chris' the tastebud') + G (for the time it takes to gulp down the microscopic substance). This equals 3.14159, which is unusually Pi to 5 decimal places.

So, when the teacher asked me the next day what the point of maths was. I replied gracefully, "That you're better off eating a pie, than a ladybird."

~ February 2010

Rascalover wrote a review...

I am so sorry it took me so long to get to this review, but I have had some family problems and had to take a step away from the site. But, I'm back now and it seems like everything I had to say was already said. I didn't really think I was going to like this piece, but it turned out to be joyful and funny. Keep up the amazing work.

Have a great day,
Tiffany. :mrgreen:

BenFranks says...

Lol, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Its so very true. The ending was perfect and the plot was great. I love the cut you took at Yahoo! All hail the mighty Google!

The Minister of High Hopes

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:58 am
BenFranks says...

Haha, glad you enjoyed it :)

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. wrote a review...

HA! So, how would Maths apply to preparing and eating a puffer fish? You know, a delicacy in Asia that if not prepared right can and probably will result in death. :D

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm
BenFranks says...

Haha. Glad you enjoyed it. Thankyou for the feedback :)

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 am
Jas wrote a review...

AHAHAHA!! sorry for all caps but that was really funny *wipes tears from eyes*

I don't really know how to review this. I love how some people don't notice the non-fiction thing and say Oh I don't really like the character Jasmine, I think you should like change her or just kill her off. I always find that funny. Anywho, I'll be using that tomorrow during math class, my teacher told us that the only way to pass her class is to find out the purpose of math and we go whats the point and she goes Let me teach you...EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. yeah...I liked this, at first I was like ummmmm wth?? U eat insects..not strange then I understood it. THANK YOU FOR ENLIGHTENING ME!!

~Jasmine Bells~
Peace, Love, Writing and Insanity

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream