The New Generation--Chapter Two: Making Friends

by erilea

Leia hurried up to her room and stuffed clothes and books into her bag. As she packed, she wondered what the new camp would be like. Would it be like a regular summer camp? What made it so Greek? When she finished, she ran downstairs and slung her bag over her shoulder. "I'm ready!" she exclaimed.

Her parents smiled. "Now, when our ride comes, don't freak out, okay?" Her father said. Leia cocked her head to the side. What would be surprising? Wouldn't they just take a cab?

But they didn't leave their driveway. She stood, confused, as her father gave a whistle like he was hailing a cab. A few seconds later, a black bird spiraled downwards. "How is that going to carry us?" she asked her mother. But her mother just smiled.

As the black animal got closer, Leia could tell it was no bird. It had wings, but it was too big to be a regular bird. She could make out hooves, two ears, and a tail...was that a horse?

The creature landed and shook out its mane. It whinnied toward her father, as if talking to him. They seemed to be having a conversation, Leia mused.

"Blackjack says he's getting pretty old, but he can call on Guido and Porkpie if we want him to." Leia's father translated. Her mouth dropped open as she stared at him. Was the pegasus talking to him?

Man, I get that a lot! Someone said. Leia glanced around, but no one was there. 

"Who is it?" she asked bravely. Her father just laughed. 

"No one except Blackjack, Leia." he answered. She slowly turned toward the pegasus. 

"You're...talking to me?" she asked it dumbly. He shook his head and snorted.

Who else, princess? The trees? It answered snarkily.

"But how do I hear you?" Leia replied. The black pegasus trotted back and forth and neighed.

It's an ability of Poseidon's children. Even if you only have a little of his blood, you still can do this. Now are we going anytime soon? He asked her. 

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Leia got on. Then Blackjack gave a whinny that seemed to echo off of the trees. Moments later two other pegasi came flying down. One was cream colored and had a white mane, and another was deep brown with a black mane. Her parents climbed on, and they took off.

Where to, princess? Inquired Blackjack. 

"This...Greek camp that my dad used to go to. What's it called, anyway?" Leia asked.

The name's Camp Half-Blood. When I was young, I could fly anywhere for hours. Boss used to come to me all the time and ask for rides. You wouldn't believe where I went! Mount Olympus--

"Yes, yes, alright!" Interrupted Leia, cutting off his speech. Blackjack shook his head, annoyed, and his sleek black mane flew into Leia's face.

I ain't gonna take that kind of stuff, princess! He said to her in an indignant tone. She rolled her eyes as they continued flying.

Soon, they had reached their destination. As they descended, Leia's eyes widened as she took in the camp. A huge wall of volcanic rock was in the center of the camp. It shook as three campers scaled it and lava poured down from the top. There were some cabins in a square formation, each one different from the next. They were the weirdest collection of buildings Leia had seen in her life. A large house towered over them, its roof painted baby blue. There were more strange areas, but Blackjack landed before Leia could observe them.

As she dismounted, a boy around Leia's age ran up to them. "Hi!" he exclaimed, a grin spreading across his face. "I'm Festus. Who are you?"

"I'm Leia," she answered. "Are you a camper?"

"Yes, I am!" Festus beamed. "My dad was one, too. He's a son of Hephaestus. My mom used to be a Greek goddess, but now she isn't. She's famous, too! You might know her; her name's Calypso." His curly brown hair bounced as he skipped.

"The real one, from the myths? No way!" Leia replied. "Who's your dad?"

"He's Leo Valdez. My dad was in this big quest, when he was a teenager! He was dead once, but then he came back to life. He says he named me after one of his best creations. It was this huge metal dragon."

Dragons, Leia mused. "Nice name. I don't think I'm named after anything in particular. My dad is Percy Jackson, and my mom is Annabeth Chase."

Festus' eyes grew big. "Are you kidding? They're the biggest heroes of this camp! My parents are awesome, but man!" he said admiringly. Leia grinned as they started to walk off.

"Leia!" her father's voice called out. She sighed and turned around.

"What is it?" She asked him. 

"Where are you going?" He demanded, catching up to them. 

"I wanna take her to see my friends!" Piped up Festus. Leia's father turned, startled, seemingly just noticing him. 

"Well, okay. Just stay away from the climbing wall!" he cautioned her as they left.

"The climbing wall?" Leia asked Festus. He pointed toward the volcanic rock tower. 

They were heading toward the large baby-blue-roofed building. As they entered, Leia saw three other kids talking and laughing as they played Monopoly. The characters seemed to move by themselves, she noticed. 

"Sammy! Stop moving the pieces!" Someone exclaimed. An African American boy with almond-shaped eyes grinned as the pieces shifted around.

"Hi guys! I want to introduce you to my friend here, Leia. She's the daughter of Percy and Annabeth!" shouted Festus. Three pairs of eyes glanced over at her, and she suddenly felt uncomfortable.

"So cool!" shouted a girl. She came up to her and offered her hand. Her skin was a light brown, and she looked like she was Cherokee. A feather dangled from her braided hair as she offered her hand. "I'm Silena Grace, daughter of Piper and Jason. My mom's a daughter of Aphrodite and my dad's a son of Jupiter, the Roman form of Zeus. You've got nice parents!" she said. Leia shook Silena's hand. Silena's eyes were changing colors, and she was startlingly pretty. Well, she's got Aphrodite genes, thought Leia.

Although Silena had been the only one that came up in the first place, it started a domino effect. The African American boy came up to her.

"I'm Sammy, son of Hazel and Frank. Hazel's a daughter of Pluto, Roman form of Hades, and my dad's a son of Mars, Roman form of Ares." he introduced himself. 

"Hello. I'm Bianca di Angelo. My dad's Nico di Angelo, son of Hades and my mom's Melody, daughter of Apollo." The girl had blue eyes flecked with brown and dirty blond hair. She smiled, but her eyes looked far away.

Meanwhile, Sammy had crept back to Monopoly. Mischief glinting in his eyes, he focused on the board and flicked his hand forward.

"SAMMY!"

LordZeus wrote a review...

Hi its Zeus here to review for the Big Bang! First off, this is a great story, and I'm glad that there is-finally-another PJ fanfiction here for me to get hooked on. I'm glad that you've brought in all the children of the pairs in the PJ and HOO books. That makes it a really interesting story. Just one thing didn't connect for me. Nico is gay, as I'm sure you noticed from the 'Blood of Olympus' and I'm pretty sure that he was set up to be with Will. So I really don't get why you changed that and set him up with this new Melody character. I agree with @EternalRain completely on that point. Maybe Bianca could have a tragic past, and suddenly meet up with Nico and Will who lovingly adopt her? Just a thought Also, if Leia didn't know that her parents were demigods until recently, I'd think that she would feel more surprised at everything that happened, what with the pegasus, the camp, the changing eye colours of Silena and all, I'd think that she would be a bit more surprised.
Also, I think that Percy and Annabeth would have wanted to show Silena around camp themselves, and maybe take her to see Chiron or something before letting her go off on her own with a total stranger. But that's just a suggestion.
Also I think '"I'm Sammy, son of Hazel and Frank. Hazel's a daughter of Pluto, Roman form of Hades, and my dad's a son of Mars, Roman form of Ares." he introduced himself.' would read better if it was said as 'he introduced himself "I'm Sammy, son of Hazel and Frank. Hazel's a daughter of Pluto, Roman form of Hades, and my dad's a son of Mars, Roman form of Ares."'

Apart from these, this is a great story, and I can't wait to see more from you! Keep writing!
-Zeus

erilea says...

LordJupiter, I don't feel right writing about Nico. I don't know why, maybe it's a little... weird for a nine-year-old? :D But I know.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:32 am
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hi! Here again. I'm probably going to read and review all the chapters after this (up until 5), and if I don't I'll just be reading them. But, I will be reviewing all the ones after 5! So keep me updated. :D

One thing I was slightly disappointed in was this "Melody" character. I really didn't like that Nico got together with this mystery character, and even more so because Nico's gay. Even if Nico isn't with his headcannon partner (Will :DD), I think you should at least bring his sexuality with him in this fan fiction. They could still adopt a child (though I suppose they wouldn't be a demigod). Hm. Maybe you could have this whole chapter where it gives background information on Will and Nico trying very hard to search for a child that is a demigod? That would be interesting.

I think Leia's new friends could've been developed more - maybe it has some thoughts on Leia's first impressions of them, or something to develop them the tiniest bit more so the writing doesn't feel rushed and forced, like you're trying to get the introductions done.

Like I said in my chapter five review, though, I like how you named characters after other important ones in the PJO series (Silena, Bianca). That's really nice. :)

If Leia's a normal kid (up till now), I'm pretty sure she would have been freaking out if a pegasus landed in front of her. Sure, if I saw one, I'd be awestruck, but I'd also be freaking out. I think Leia didn't act properly and was more bland and just "Okay, cool" than "Oh no, oh no, oh no! Am I hallucinating? Is this a dream?" blah blah blah. Just, a little more liveliness in her reaction would be nice.

~ EternalRain

erilea says...

I honestly don't like writing about the Nico stuff... for a nine-year-old, it's pretty awkward. But yeah.

EternalRain says...

Oh, all right. :/ You're welcome!

Europa wrote a review...

Hey there! This is TheFantasy14! I am a huge fan of rick riordan and I really think you did an excellent job with this fanfiction. You captured all the cannon characters personalities perfectly, which I love about this because it annoys me when someone changes a cannon charter for the benefit of his or her own story. I also noticed that all your O.C's were children of cannon characters that originally were paired up in the heroes of olypus and Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, and I think that's really cool. One thing I might change, (and this is a bit nit picky so forgive me) is unless Melody is also an O.C, pairing up Nico with a cannon character as well. I think since all your other character's parents were cannon, Bianca's should be as well. It seems to me that would fit the theme of your characters better. I also really love that, Sammy, Bianca, And Festus were named after significant people (or in festus's case, creations). In their parents lives. One thing I want to ask about is Sammy. Is he only visiting camp half blood, or does he go there like everyone else? Both his parents are roman so it would make sense if he was actually from camp Jupiter, but was visiting his friends for the day at the Greek camp. All in all this was an excellently crafted story, and I can hardy wait to read more.
Loves!
TheFantasy14

erilea says...

Melody is a made up character. I know some of you might disagree, if you read the Blood of Olympus, but I had to do something...Sammy's just visiting camp for a little, maybe a month, but still. Thanks for the review!

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:14 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Would it be like a regular summer camp? What made it so Greek?
What made it so Greek? I had never even thought about that question, and it's sort of hilarious. All these children must have been told that they were going to a Greek camp, and that questions must have run through hundreds of minds. But I never even considered it.

I was hoping their ride would be Blackjack. :D And it's really cute that you thought to give Leia Percy's ability.

Where too, princess? Inquired Blackjack.
Typo. To*

Right in the feels. You also did a really good job in making Festus sound like Leo.

This is so freaking amazing. I love it!

erilea says...

Dangit. Stupid typoes. Too is one that always confuses me...
>.<
I loved this idea and always wondered why no one did it sooner. :\

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex