Decision of Change, Pt. 1

by TimmyJake

Authors note: This is a short story concerning Prince John of England, who later became King John. This is a story concerning the time when he was eighteen, and going to a country that he had just recently been named Lord over. Ireland.

See if you can find the reference to a cartoon I placed in there! :)

The English countryside unrolled before John like an intricately-weaved rug. He could see everything, even the boundary of France lay on the distant horizon.

Dover Castle was situated on the mountaintop, overlooking the sea on one side and the English countryside on the other. Many said it was situated perfectly, and his father King Henry II, knew that and constantly strived to make it even stronger. His dream was to have a fortress that was impregnable.

John knew how ridiculous that dream was. Everything could and would be breached in time. It only took the right weapons and numbers. He wasn’t a warrior anyway. He never had been.

Perhaps the greatest reason for that was his stature. Compared to the rest of his family, he was a dwarf. His brother Richard was extremely tall, broad-shouldered, and strong, built like the Great Tower of Dover Castle. John had been compared once to a barrel of wine, being deep chested and short. He was always jealous of Richard’s kingly appearance, while John could have passed off as a servant without an issue.

John walked about on the top of the Great Tower, enjoying the scenery. The tower was one of the greatest symbols of England. He ran his hand along the smooth stones that added to the structure by adorning the ledge. Glancing down, he could see courtiers and peasants rushing back and forth from building to building. All of them had their specific duty to their king. Every duty had a deadline within a certain period of time, so they could sleep without being in constant fear of their lives.

John hated duties and commitments. He would have preferred to just immerse himself in his traveling library and read his books all day rather than perform the duties of a Prince of England. He didn’t even have property! As King Henry’s fourth and youngest son, he would be left destitute when he died. In fact, that knowledge was so apparent to everyone; he had been given a nickname. John Lackland.

Of course, his father tried to smooth things over; to make thing better than what they really were. John knew what that he was trying to make it not seem that he would have nothing when his father died. So his father gave him lands. Many Lords of different castles and lands all around England had to give up their fiefs when King Henry gave the land to John, in hopes that he wouldn’t feel so left out. What his father finally did was attempt to make him King of Ireland, and at an age of eighteen years old. But of course, Pope Innocent II didn’t agree with that. So his father made him the Lord of Ireland instead, to appease the Pope.

So he was expected to make the voyage to Ireland, something he didn’t really want to do. Why did he have to journey to another country? He didn’t really care what happened to Ireland. Even though his whole life had been planned out from the start for him to be a ruler, to govern countries and fiefs, he detested it. His books were the only things that he loved to be with, and they seemed to him the only things that spouted intelligent words. Where were their authors? John would have preferred to talk to them instead of the blabbering lot of English.

He turned away from the beautiful landscape and walked towards the staircase that would take him down to the banquet hall. John didn’t know what he was doing, or where to go. Even though he had spent his whole life in preparation for being a Lord, he didn’t know where to go or what to do.

If his father was in the banquet hall, which was below his feet, perhaps he could question him. He only needed a few answers. Then he would be able to take things from there.

The guard standing beside the entrance to the staircase bowed respectfully to him as he passed, and John smirked. They showed such respect for their royalty, but he wondered what went on inside that armored man’s mind. Was his heart really for England? Where did his loyalties truly lie? He didn’t trust anyone at all, not even his brother Richard. No, especially his brother. John knew that his brothers walked past him sticking their noses in the air at him. His short stature, his lack of land, everything. They were better than he was.

Well, he was going to prove them wrong.

His hand trailed the rock wall, feeling the roughhewn edges. He imagined the people of England like the stones. Those thousands of bricks, woven together in formation to build a tower that would stand for centuries. While people could build such towers and lavishing paintings with so much care and devotion, they couldn’t put that same aspect into their lives. People were people, he realized. They never changed. Unlike the stone tower, the country of England could crumble down into piles of rubble.

He continued down the spiral staircase, each corner bringing more and more guards and courtiers rushing past him, all bowing to him as they passed hurriedly.

He stopped at a glass window and stood up on his tiptoes to look at his reflection. Sighing, he shook his head in distaste. Red hair curled around the golden crown on his head; a crown that John hated because it was one size too big and always slipped down in his face. The hawk-like nose, which people jokingly referred to as being very Romanly. The pointed chin, which Richard liked to refer to as the sword-point. The only things that he could see that wasn’t ugly were his eyes. Dark brown and mysterious, full of mischief and cunning. People called them snakelike eyes behind his back, but he didn’t care. They were the only thing that made him look dangerous.

The banquet hall was like it usually was: full of loud, busily eating people. He avoided the drunken men that stood over the food and ale like starving hogs, yearning to gorge themselves, and searched for his father.

Not even the elaborate tapestries hanging from the ceiling, depicting lions with outstretched claws, ready to spring on their enemies, could cloud out the relaxed ambience of the hall. The red colors flashed in his face irritably, like a cape opening and closing unexpectantly.

The long lines of tables made a perimeter around the outside of the rectangle shape hall, leaving one side out for the servants to come and go, fetching different foods and whisking the dirty dishes away. It was a constant cycle of food that was brought in and out, and there were always people coming in to eat and drink. Always.

He stepped around a beer-bellied man who smelled like the pig-house, but had to duck as one of his flapping arms sideswiped him on accident.

John slapped his arm angrily and the drunk man slowly turned his head to see who had hit him. His eyes grew wide as he noticed who had slapped his arm. “I'm s-so s-sorry, your highness!” He said in a frantic stutter.

John scowled and grabbed the man’s jerkin, pulling him down to his level. Everyone around them held their breath in anticipation. No one could tell what John would do when he got angry.

“Keep your fat hands to yourself, you stuttering blabbered fool! If you so much as touch me with those filthy common hands of yours, I will gladly separate them from your miserable body.” His eyes only added to the threat. He meant what he said.

Everyone could hear the man gulp in fear. “Yes, y-your highness. You have my word of honor!”

John shoved him away and scoffed. “You word of honor,” he said spitefully. “What is your honor worth but the dirt on your hands? Don’t give me empty promises.”

Satisfied that the man was duly warned, he walked away from him. Everyone gave him a wide birth then, not wanting to provoke him to greater anger. If it happened one more time in the next day, the next person wouldn’t only suffer a few insults. The penalty would be far worse.

Then John caught sight of his father moving through the crowd, exchanging conversation easily and laughing with the commoners. He turned around, and the crowd parted like the Red Sea once again so he could get through the throngs to his father.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:53 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hey Timmy! Here as promised.

Okay, so I think everyone has covered the grammar nitpicks, so that allows me to focus on the plot. Hurray! One thing you should definitely fix ASAP is where the guy who smells like the pig-house is calling John "your highness." Highness is a proper noun, since it's a formal word for royalty, so it needs to be uppercased!

Okay, I had to get that off my chest. xD Now I can focus on John, who I don't like! That rudeness, that cruelty - it came out of nowhere! And here I thought John would be a kind person, being the overlooked child and most laughed at and whatnot. You think that the peasants wouldn't fear him as much as they would Richard, but then again, he is a prince. I just didn't think he would be a meanie! He makes me mad lol

Apparently this is a true tale? If so, then I have never heard or read of it and you are doing a good job of reminding me to open my eyes and pay attention to history. I like this so far. You're doing a good job of retelling it, in your own way, and adding your own style and twists to it. Your descriptions are lovely, and the story overall is rich in details. The flow is smooth and steady and I like the pace you have it going at: gradual. Not too fast and not too slow. It makes me want to read part two and part two I shall. :D

timmyjake says...

Yes, this is a true story... Thank you for your review! I really appreciate it! :D

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:27 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Heya Tiny Tim!

Another story of yours for me to review. I better catch up because you've already posted part two. (Unintentional rhyme...) Well, this is something quite different. I rather like historical fiction as well!

Let's start with the main character, John. He doesn't sound like a very nice person. He thinks himself higher than everybody. Too high to be bothered to run a country, too high for commoners to touch him, too high above everyone so even though he's short he still thinks he's the best. He even thinks he is the best of his brothers and is set out to prove it! I don't mind all this, just make sure you show the reader some good aspects to him too. Maybe he's snarky, funny or has a more vulnerable side, it's up to you. But make sure there is something the reader can like there ^^ Having a completely mean main character is not idea.

So his father made him the Lord of Ireland instead, to appease the Pope.

So he was expected to make the voyage to Ireland

When I read, one thing I always notice is when the same word is used as a beginning of the sentence or repeated too close to each other in a row. Having 'so' at the start twice was noticeable. A small detail but yeah... just putting it out there ;)

John didn’t know what he was doing, or where to go. Even though he had spent his whole life in preparation for being a Lord, he didn’t know where to go or what to do.

Here again, in the second sentence you just repeat what you said previously. Maybe: Even though he had spent his whole life in preparation for being a Lord, he was still clueless.

No, especially his brother.

No, especially not his brother.

John knew that his brothers walked past him sticking their noses in the air at him.

Might just be me, but I think it would be worded better if you said: walked past him with their noses stuck in the air.

It gets rid of the two 'him's which seemed a little out of place. Now we're done with nitpicks! Moving on!

My only problem with this is the beginning. You start with describing the setting, beautifully might I add. It was a great way to start, with the countryside unrolling itself before him. I liked it :) But then you went on and you told us all of John's past and about his family and all this backstory in one go! And then you continued where you left off in the story with John entering and all that. I think you need to mix it up a bit or it seems like a bit of an information dump. Maybe as John walks through a corridor he sees portraits of his dad and you could put a bit of info about him in there. And then maybe he is in the banquet when he sees all this food and thinks about how his untrustworthy brother would scoff it all down or something. That way we get a bit of story, a bit of backstory, and it mixes it up. Makes it more interesting and less heavy :)

Pacing was great, the plot will progress more in the next chapters, because this was just the beginning. We got to know a lot about the characters and the setting was great. I will read the next chapter as soon as possible!

Deanie x

timmyjake says...

Thank you for your review! I will work on that and I promise that there will be fewer information dumps in the future. ;) Thanks again!!!

timmyjake says...

UshertheThird wrote a review...

Hello! I don't read much historical fiction, but I really enjoyed this story.

The characterization of the prince is great, which I think is the most important part of the story. I was able to understand him and the situation he was in, which made it enjoyable. The descriptions are also very good--they feel grand, like the objects they're describing, and they allowed me to see what the prince was seeing.

There are a few places where the word choice could be changed. In some of the descriptions, I noticed words that don't completely fit, and they might be made stronger with different words.
For example, the word "things" was used a few times, and also the word "big."

In some parts, I was confused by the descriptions. Perhaps they could be made clearer. For example:

The banquet hall was like it usually was: full of loud, busily eating people.

In both of these parts, the wording is somewhat confusing.

The pronouns in this sentence are unclear.

In a few places, the narration sort of jumps around, which makes it confusing to read.
He wasn’t a warrior anyway

Every duty had a deadline within a certain period of time, so they could sleep without being in constant fear of their lives.

He didn’t even have property!

These three lines felt out of place when I read them. It might help to transition to them, instead of jumping between ideas.

I really like this simile, because it helps to show how the prince views the country. But it could be more effective if it were more straightforward.

This is a really great story. There are just a few changes that could make the narration and description clearer. I hope this helps, and I can elaborate on my suggestions if you want. I'll look for more of your historical fiction stories in the future. Keep writing!

timmyjake says...

Thank you for your review! :D

ExOmelas wrote a review...

First of all, this is your call but I'm not sure about the semi-colon in "that knowledge was so apparent to everyone; he had been given a nickname". It's probably okay but I got a bit thrown off so I'm not quite sure. In the first line of the next paragraph, by the way, it seems just right in its place.

"No, especially his brother" Probably 'especially not his brother'.

"always slipped down in his face" I don't think you need the 'in'

"The only things that he could see that wasn’t ugly were his eyes" this should be weren't instead of wasn't. My spell checker on my browser even has it underlined :)

"sideswiped him on accident" I would say 'by accident' but that might be a regional thing

"you stuttering blabbered fool" again this is probably not universal but I'd have 'blabbering fool'

So onto the content... I really like it :) I love this period of history and the books I've read about it always have really different opinions of John. It's undeniable that he was a weak and selfish leader but it's nice to remember the circumstances that made him that way. I mean, his mother did detest the sight of him, for one thing. I like that you've made the reader already sympathetic to John before his encounter with the 'commoner' so that they feel conflicted regarding his reaction. So thank you. I love this century in general and I just lap up what I can find about it and this is excellent for that purpose.

Well done! :)

timmyjake says...

Thank you for your review! :D

ExOmelas says...

You're welcome :)

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:03 pm
GoldFlame wrote a review...

Curious, I researched Prince John. This popped up: "John is today usually considered a 'hard-working administrator, an able man, an able general.' Nonetheless, modern historians agree that he also had many faults as king, including what historian Ralph Turner describes as 'distasteful, even dangerous personality traits.'" Wow. I'm eager to see how you'll develop him...

Fabulous job, as usual. Not that I didn't expect this to be fabulous :D. Perfecto pacing, dazzling descriptions. Everything flowed smoothly, one paragraph sliding into the next. The action also blended well with the dialogue, and my eyes were glued to the screen the entire length of the piece. You, my friend, truly have a handle on storytelling.

I feel like I'm getting desperate with the nitpicks. I mean, most of them border on insignificant...

Not even the beautiful landscape stretched out before John could raise his spirits. The English countryside stretched out before him like an unrolled rug embroidered in dazzling colors and intricate weaving.

For a beginning, there're way too many words between the subject and predicate. You want to avoid that because it detracts from the meaning of the complete thought. It's also a cliché description/opening statement, and a description mirrored in the second sentence, at that.

One more thing, before I move on. The phrase "intricate weaving" doesn't tie in with "embroidered in dazzling colors." It also establishes redundancy, just like that. If you were to keep this description, I'd recommend going with: "The English countryside unrolled before him like an intricately-embroidered rug."

one side, and

No need for the comma.

John knew how ridiculous that really was.

I've never really imagined old-timey folk to use "really" as an adverb. Feel free to ignore, though.

smooth stones that both added to the structure and adorned the ledge.

You mean that they added to the structure by adorning the ledge. Always see what you can clip without affecting the meaning.

mischievousness

Mischief :D.

the common environment

The relaxed ambience?

“I-I’m s-so-orr-y

This is broken very oddly. It's also unnecessary to make him stutter so much, if you add some kind of adverb to the speaker's tag, or add a speaker's tag at all: "'I'm s-so s-sorry.'" I can't really imagine his throat catching on the first syllable, so I didn't make him stutter there, and adding an extra "s" to the "so" would make it look strange, even it if it sounds realistic.

“Ye-e-s, you-r highness.

Same here. You also usually never split a word in the middle. And if you do, you use the ol' double hyphen (which Word will automatically correct to —): "'Y-yes, you—your Highness.'" Although I wouldn't recommend heading that direction. I'd recommend going with: "Yes, y-your Highness."

The only fault I really find with this is the redundancy: "'What is your honor worth but the dirt on your hands? It's worth nothing! Don't give me useless promises."' The last two sentences decrease that spiteful proclamation's effect. You also have to rely on your reader to infer things sometimes.

Keep up the good work! Sorry for attacking you so hard. Amazing—amazing work, once again. Looking forward to more!

timmyjake says...

Wow. Thank you for the amazing review! Your nitpick have been noted and.... my story has been revised because of that! I incorporated all of your nitpicks! Thank you for explaining the whole stuttering thing. I never knew how to do it properly until now... And I do know how now! :)
I really appreciate you reviewing for me. You always help me improve my writing skills! Thanks! :D

GoldFlame says...

No problem! Thank you so much for listening :cry:.

GoldFlame says...

Okay, that emoticon did not come out the way I intended it to.

timmyjake says...

hee hee. 8) :mrgreen:

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy