Young Writers Society

The Great Tortoise Race 2023

993 Reviews

Reviews: 993
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:36 am
View Likes
vampricone6783 says...

He will soon. One day.
There’s a little bit of Halloween in all of us…

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:05 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

One Week In!

Hard to believe we're already one week in! Congrats to our competitors still in the running who have made it an impressive 7 DAYS!!

@IcyFlame @KateHardy @alpacaboss @KaiaJersaga @MerleBlackbird @Valkyria @DreamyAlice @Rose @alliyah @Spearmint @vampricone6783 @Rinisha @OrabellaAvenue

Keep up the great reviewing!

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

4130 Reviews

Reviews: 4130
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:32 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Another Day Passes!!

13 Tortoises remain in the race as we go past the one week mark! You guys are doing incredible! Keep up the great work!

Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

1228 Reviews

Reviews: 1228
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:41 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

These gifs are cracking me up! A little shameless advertisement for all tortoise fans and participants who may be interested in a literary contest I'm hosting this month -> The Great Tortoise Literary Work Contest

Submit any literary work as long as it has something to do with tortoises! :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:24 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

The Weekend is Here!!

With 12 Tortoises left, we are headed for a fantastic weekend of reviewing and clearing out that 'ole green room! Good luck and merry reviewing, friends!

Struggling to get inspired with your review? Check out the YWS Reviewing Dictionary to see many articles written by past and present YWSers as well as a collection and tips and tricks for reviewing all types of literary works!

hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1488 Reviews

Reviews: 1488
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:15 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Slow and Steady!

We've still got a wonderful 12 Tortoises left in the race, plodding along slowly but surely! This marks a third of the way through the month - go tortoises go!

Want to join in the fun? If you've missed Team Tortoise, you can still join a review team to compete to catch that Golden Goose!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:03 am
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

@IcyFlame @alpacaboss @KaiaJersaga @MerleBlackbird @alliyah @Valkyria @DreamyAlice @Spearmint @vampricone6783 @Rose @Rinisha @OrabellaAvenue

All of you tortoises are pretty inspiring! Just 2/3rds of the month left to go! Thank you for all your contributions to the site so far and keep up the amazing work! If you're looking for some different reviewing techniques to freshen up your reviews one of my personal reviewing resources is the Twelve Days of Reviewing tips and challenges.

Best of luck in your last 2/3rds of the month! I BELIEVE IN YOU!

"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:25 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Let's Go Tortoises!

With each day that passes, our 12 Tortoises continue to march gallantly towards the end line. Congratulations to everyone for making the two week mark and a special shoutout to @IcyFlame for writing a whooping number of 41 reviews!

Keep up the amazing work Tortoises and remember, all you need is one review a day this month and victory is yours! Lets go!

“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

1228 Reviews

Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:31 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

HALF WAY TO THE FINISH LINE

The tortoises have been busy and today @IcyFlame @alpacaboss @KaiaJersaga @MerleBlackbird @alliyah @Valkyria @DreamyAlice @Spearmint @vampricone6783 @Rose @Rinisha @OrabellaAvenue have all rounded the corner of the half way mark on the course with just 15 days left of reviewing to go! It's been a few days since any reviewers have had to retreat from the course, perhaps this strong final dozen of reviewers will make it together all the way to the end!

If you find yourself hitting a wall with a review and not sure where to begin or go - I commend to you the Review S'more:

1) Graham Cracker - this is what you see right off the bat - steady your review with an overall interpretation or overall impressions

2) Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - point out the crispy edges - what specific places do you see that have room for improvement?

3) Oh so delicious - Chocolate Bar - find the sweet part - what parts did you love? what made this work shine?

4) Graham Cracker to Close - close up loose-ends, last minute questions, and maybe a little sign off or signature; never the bulk of a review or a s'more - but nonetheless you need something to keep all the marshmallow in.

As we continue on in this race - thank you to each of you for your time and commitment to the site this month! Your reviews are making a difference and impacting authors one review at a time! :) Best of luck to each of you on the second half of this race!

1228 Reviews

Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:09 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

TWO THIRDS OF THE WAY THERE

After a little break from race updates, we're back! Congratulations to the nine reviewers left in the Great Tortoise Race! @IcyFlame @DreamyAlice @alpacaboss @alliyah @KaiaJersaga @MerleBlackbird @vampricone6783 @Orabella Avenue and @Spearmint - each one of you has already contributed 20+ reviews to the site this month which is amazing!

We've never finished the Great Tortoise Race with more than 8 reviewers, so if all 9 of us stay in that would make this a record breaking month ~ can we do it? I guess time will show!

Just one third of the race left to go! You can start the countdown of those last 10 reviews now! You're all so close, don't give up!

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:16 pm
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

3 Weeks in!

9 days more....

WOW!! 9 reviewers are still in the race! @IcyFlame, @DreamyAlice, @alpacaboss. @alliyah, @KaiaJersaga, @MerleBlackbird, @vampricone6783, @OrabellaAvenue, @Spearmint

A fun hashtag to share on your walls and to start around to encourage the 9 reviewers! Share your improvements, and how you grew throughout the years, in your reviews, your writing skills, and in life in general, how taking one step every day worked for you! And let people know SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE!!

#slowandsteadywinstherace

You, people, are very aspiring with your consistent efforts to write amazing reviews for the writers of the site. Keep going! We got this!

As you go on this last journey of the tortoise race you might wanna add more to your reviewing skills. You can check the YWS Reviewing Dictionary. It has everything from reviewing prose to poetry!

The little turtle is waiting for you at the finishing line! GO GO GO!!!
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

1488 Reviews

Reviews: 1488
Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:09 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

1 Week To Go!

As we head into the final stretch our fabulous 9 reviewers are still in the race! @IcyFlame, @DreamyAlice, @alpacaboss. @alliyah, @KaiaJersaga, @MerleBlackbird, @vampricone6783, @OrabellaAvenue, @Spearmint

One last push until victory and endless bragging rights!!

#slowandsteadywinstherace

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:34 pm
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

5 days more....!

9 reviewers assemble!

@IcyFlame, @DreamyAlice, @alpacaboss. @alliyah, @KaiaJersaga, @MerleBlackbird, @vampricone6783, @OrabellaAvenue, @Spearmint

JUST 5 DAYS MORE. YOU ALL KNOW YOU GOT THISSSSS!!!
Well did you forget? I AM STILL WAITING TILL THE END!
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:16 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Let's Go Tortoises!

With 4 more days to go, our 9 Tortoises continue to exhibit their courage and determination as they walk the final steps to the end line. Congratulations to all those who have made it so far! You guys have been doing an amazing job and we have full faith in you!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

1228 Reviews

Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:41 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

So Close to the Finish Line!

@IcyFlame, @DreamyAlice, @alpacaboss. @alliyah, @KaiaJersaga, @MerleBlackbird, @vampricone6783, @OrabellaAvenue, @Spearmint

Well the finish line is officially in sight! We are just a few days away from a record-breaking end with 9 reviewers still on track to complete The Great Team Tortoise Race!

Here's a little race summary so far ~

@IcyFlame has been leading the pack with numerous novel reviews (70 reviews and counting!) and jumping into the top 15 Reviewers of All Time - Icy is thorough, encouraging, and always catches very perceptive wisdoms in their reviews, we love to read them!, @DreamyAlice has been a torch of enthusiasm brightening up the Team Tortoise Thread and encouraging writers through her encouraging reviews, @alpacaboss is a new YWSer on the scene (and a writer of alpaca poems) that has done wonderful work reviewing this month, @alliyah is surprisingly still in??? not sure how that's allowed, @KaiaJersaga is a friendly new voice on the site who amidst writing several novels has also found time to keep up with the race, @MerleBlackbird has been writing some wonderfully thorough reviews and is also a newer user on YWS, @vampricone6783 is our resident spooky-writer who is an absolute Team Tortoise veteran having completed the tortoise race many many times over, they've shared some poignant reactions over a wide variety of genres this month, @OrabellaAvenue was only a YWS member for ONE DAY before they decided to jump into the Tortoise Race and we are so happy they did as they've been doing MARVELOUSLY, @Spearmint is another very enthusiastic and encouraging reviewer who is able to keep so many different novels straight and provide thorough and encouraging tips for improvements!

THANK YOU to all of our talented, dedicated, generous, and intelligent reviewers this month! We appreciate your reviewing efforts and are cheering you on as you make your way through these final days - don't miss the final days of reviewing, you've made it so far already and are so close to the finish line! Woohoo!

Also one last boost for my Great Tortoise Literary Contest please write me a story or poem about Tortoises and I will be sure to review it and would be so happy to read it. (Open to all! Due July 1!)

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100