3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:32 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

...Mary Sue accusation??? Yesssss.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:52 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Can I just say that this seems like just the kind of crazy experiment that I can totally see myself being invested in?

Also love your title! And you've been doing amazing with those Journal challenges so far!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:40 am
View Likes
Lael says...

I realize I should probably tag the people who have commented on my thread so far to acknowledge that I’ve seen your messages and I really appreciate them. :P They’ve really encouraged me, actually, because I was feeling a bit self-conscious about this idea before. So thanks, @Spearmint @Liminality @IcyFlame @Snoink @RandomTalks!
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

81 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:57 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Character Questionnaire (Pt 1)

Name: Jhémes Sebastian-Jaxon Blake
Height: 6’3”
Eye color: *piercing* blue like an ocean that stares into your soul
Physical appearance: He looks like a model, with a lean-muscular fit body that suit just about any kind of clothes. He has pale skin and hair as white as snow (including his eyelashes, etc). His bangs nearly touch his eyes and are perfectly asymmetrically parted to reveal some forehead. He has long eyelashes, large deep-set eyes, a high and straight nose, and an angular jaw. He also has a scar line slashed through his left eyebrow.
Strange or unique physical attributes: His white hair.
Favorite clothing style/outfit: Depending on the vibe perhaps a leather jacket, jeans, and combat boots, or a black button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows paired with khaki trousers. He always wears a bracelet made of leather cord.
Where does he live? What is it like there? He comes from the Kingdom of Peaks, which is a constitutional monarchy. They are known for their mountains, but the kingdom isn’t entirely mountains. He comes from a very large city that is relatively close to Peaks’ border with Shores.
Pet peeves: People who trying too hard with his name and coming up with something that sounds ridiculous, or people who don’t even try to say his name.
Hobbies/interests: Martial arts, piano, accusing Angel of being a Mary Sue
Insecurities: Being the best/good enough, being able to protect those he loves
Quirks/eccentricities: Winks, smirks, and does a little flick of his head to toss the larger section of his bangs to the side a lot.
Temperament: Intense, charming, sometimes brooding or flirty. Introverted.
Negative traits: Has to get what he wants, arrogant, calculating/cunning.
Family (describe): Father (name unconfirmed and occupation redacted). Younger sister by no more than a few years, Liliabelle Blake. His mother is dead.
Other people's opinions of this character: Angel is drawn to him, confused by him, and feels annoyed and threatened by him. Bryony distrusts him a little. Most people are very impressed but also intimidated by him.
Favorite bands/songs/types of music: Classical piano
Favorite movies/TV shows/books: Classics, old, or artsy
Favorite foods: Steak
Dream holiday: Large, isolated island off the coast of Shores.
Any pets? -- No, unless his sister’s dog counts.
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: Meeting Angel? (currently unsure about this one)
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: Mom dying
Three words to describe this character: Edgy, arrogant, sensitive
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? “I’m Coming For It” by UNSECRET ft. Sam Tinnesz, GREYLEE or maybe “(They Long to Be) Close to You” by The Carpenters

Spoiler! :

Art by Spearmint! Image
Last edited by Lael on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

81 Reviews

Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:11 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Character Questionnaire (Pt 2)

Name: Aynnhailleah Angel Astrid
Height: 5’2”
Eye color: Violet like amethysts
Physical appearance: She has glossy, straight hair that is black like a raven’s wing and goes past her waist; it’s parted asymmetrically, and she usually wears it loose or with a pretty hair clip pinning back the smaller front section. She is skinny-fit with long legs. She has fair skin, a tall and straight nose, large, doe-like eyes, and full lips. Many people say she is the most beautiful girl they have ever seen, especially when she smiles. She doesn’t usually wear any makeup because she already looks so perfect without it.
Strange or unique physical attributes: Her violet eyes. She also has a star-like birthmark on her right wrist.
Favorite clothing style/outfit: She likes clothes that are pretty and elegant yet cute at the same time. Usually, her clothing is all designer brand. She also likes to wear high-heeled shoes.
Where does she live? What is it like there? She comes from the Republic of Shores, which is known for its coastline and aquatic industries. Specifically, her hometown is Astraea, which is relatively near the coast and one of the largest cities in Shores, as well as the headquarters of Astrid Corporation. It is highly technologically advanced and very picturesque, especially in the places where the richest in society like the Astrid family frequent.
Pet peeves: People who act arrogant.
Hobbies/interests: Fashion, dancing, music
Insecurities: Others thinking negatively of her, if someone comes close to beating her at anything.
Quirks/eccentricities: She often makes dramatic entrances into rooms full of people. She is obligated to do at least one spin when she wears a flowing dress/skirt.
Temperament: Normally very sweet, kind, and shy. She is hardworking and generous. She doesn’t usually get angry, but when she does, it’s explosive.
Negative traits: Too fixated on others’ attention/opinions of her, can be stubborn, thinks very highly of herself (yet acts humble most of the time).
Family (describe): Kenneth Astrid (Father, founder and CEO of Astrid Corporation), Rose Astrid (Mother), Ander Astrid (Older brother by at least a few years).
Other people's opinions of this character: Most people adore her and shower her with compliments, gifts, confessions, etc. She does have some people who always post hate comments on her social media, but they’re just jealous of how beautiful, successful, and talented she is, of course. Bryony cares about her deeply as her best friend, but thinks Angel needs help sometimes. Jhémes is always intent on getting a reaction out of her and proving that she’s a Mary Sue.
Favorite bands/songs/types of music: She likes tough hype music (like Bossbeat) and super sentimental, dramatic ballads.
Favorite movies/TV shows/books: She doesn’t really read much, but she likes dramas and action-adventure movies/shows.
Favorite foods: Any kind of fancy dessert
Dream holiday: She’s probably been to just about every super cool vacation destination on Elmere, so her dream holiday is probably going to space or something.
Any pets? -- A wolf that started following her around on a family camping trip when she was 14. It was a pup all by itself. Sadly, her parents and Kennard Academy did not let her bring him to school with her.
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: It’s kind of hard to say. Up till this new school year, everything has been perfect for Angel.
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: Meeting Jhémes
Three words to describe this character: Perfect, competitive, gifted.
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? “I Am” by CRMNL

Spoiler! :

Art by Lael

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:08 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

maybe “(They Long to Be) Close to You” by The Carpenters
< I love the match-up between this song and this character xD Those are great character questionnaire responses - I think you've captured the essence of character types that are just 'too good to be true' even in fiction, while also subverting that and giving them story-relevant character flaws (i.e. insecurities -> wants to prove she's not a Mary Sue).
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

81 Reviews

Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:23 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

@Liminality thanks! One of the things I personally got a kick out of was that Angel dislikes arrogant people, yet she is kind of full of herself sometimes. :P

81 Reviews

Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:54 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 1
I started to fix up/consolidate the beginnings of Episode 1 I had written recently. The opening scene is finished.

81 Reviews

Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:40 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 2
I wrote a tiny bit of Episode 1. I planned out how I'm going to split it into smaller chunks as well.

81 Reviews

Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:51 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 3
I wrote the beginning of Episode 1.2. I’m doing my best to make it funny but I’m not sure how it’s going right now. But it’s only practice/a first draft! :)

81 Reviews

Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:09 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 4
I wrote some more of Episode 1.2. I'm also trying to think more deeply about what Angel's legendary powers should look like.

Here's an excerpt from yesterday and today:

Spoiler! :
“Angel, I don’t know what you’re trying to say,” said Bryony, shaking her head. “I can’t read your mind. Jhémes just got here at the beginning of geography. Is there something I’m supposed to notice about him?”

Angel flinched slightly as Bryony said his name. She drew another deep breath, suddenly feeling her entire body start to tremble. “He isn’t like any boy I’ve met in the past,” she said, her voice wobbling melodically. “He’s making me feel things I’ve never felt before.”

Bryony’s expression changed to one of disbelief and almost horror. “Angel, no.”

“I have to admit it!” exclaimed Angel, stopping in her tracks in the middle of the hallway. She placed a hand on her chest. “My heart is beating so fast right now, and I can’t get him off my mind because—”

Shh!” hissed Bryony, pulling Angel toward the lockers and out of the way of the throng of students who had stopped to stare as Angel began what was definitely shaping up to become a monologue.

Bryony laughed awkwardly and waved a hand dismissively. “No need to be concerned, everyone. Angel’s just practicing for an audition. Method acting, am I right?”

The students continued walking, murmuring about how Angel was going to break into yet another sector of the entertainment and arts industry. Bryony let out a heavy sigh, pressing her fingers to her temple.

“Angel, I know he’s different and all—I mean, I couldn’t help staring at him either. But why don’t we take a step back and—”

“I feel like my existence has been threatened by him,” said Angel, continuing as if she had never been interrupted, though she lowered her voice. “I never thought the day would come when I encounter a rival.”

“What? A rival? Angel, I thought you were about to say you fell in love with him after only one second when you guys bumped into each other before class and you did that long stare into each other’s eyes!”

“I—we didn’t stare into each other’s eyes!” Angel scoffed. “Anyways, no way! I meant his appearance and his aura. I even heard someone saying earlier that his beauty was on the same level as mine.”

Bryony pinched the bridge of her nose. She sighed again. “So that’s what you meant. Please don’t scare me like that again. I’ve had too much excitement for a Wednesday morning.”

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:43 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
Omg, not Angel going on about feeling things and Jhémes making her heart beat faster and completely misleading us-- XDD This story's looking great already! Thanks for making me laugh <3 C:

(Also, nice save, Bryony. =P)
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

81 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:56 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 5
I finished 1.2, might do a little more of the next part later if I feel like it. I did some worldbuilding for Kennard Academy and I am in the process of developing Angel’s powers

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:59 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Omg, that excerpt. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

81 Reviews

Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:15 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 6

I didn't do any writing today, but I did some planning ahead for Episode 2.

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria