z

Young Writers Society

Squills 05/10/2015 - 05/17/2015

Reviews: 0
Mon May 11, 2015 11:56 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Available – PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master

General Reporters
AstralHunter
Omni
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon May 11, 2015 11:57 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

As you may or may not be aware, writing in language arts classes these days often teach kids to switch out “said” for other, more vivid verbs, so that stories don’t read like this:

“Hi,” she said. “How are you?”
“Good,” he said. “What about you?”
“Just dandy,” she said.
“That’s good,” he said.

Boring dialogue aside, this gets dull because of the repetition of “said.” The problem is that, rather than teaching students that dialogue tags can sometimes be replaced by actions or done away with completely, teachers tend to focus on replacing “said” with other verbs that indicate speech. So a decent example of “said is dead” might look like this:

He dropped into the chair beside her. “Good. What about you?”
“Just dandy.” She heaved a sigh that contradicted her words.
“That’s good,” he said uncertainly.

Instead, students are writing things like this:

“Hi,” she stated. “How are you?”
“Good,” he replied. “What about you?”
“Just dandy,” she reported.
“That’s good,” he remarked.

Look. I get it. Really, I do. Writing like that first example wears down the reader because it’s too repetitive. A gentler version of waves beating against a stone, where the stone has the option of closing the book because the writing is tedious.

(Ignore the fact that stones don’t have hands. Or eyes. Or. Well. You know. They’re stones.)

But come on. I don’t know about you guys, but words like “stated,” “reported,” and “remarked” get on my nerves when used as dialogue tags. Maybe not once in a while--I can certainly forgive “remarked” and even “observed” if a character is underreacting or reacting humorously to another character. But when these words have obviously been chosen for no other reason than to get rid of “said”...

Here’s the thing about “said.” Yes, it is a commonly used word, but that’s the beauty of it. Like “the,” “said” is a word that readers tend to skim over. They don’t notice it--unless, of course, it’s used to denote every line of dialogue, as in my first example. Then, the abundance of “saids” draws attention to a word that would otherwise filter right through your readers’ consciousness. Barring that, however, “said” is a word that allows you to tell readers who is speaking without distracting from the dialogue.

And that is the problem with these other words: they’re too noticeable. They provide a tag, yes, but at the expense of the dialogue as readers trip up on your replacements.

Then, of course, there’s always the danger of the youngest writers going overboard with the words they choose over “said.” My favorite is still the example I gave from a sample essay several weeks ago:

“We’ll be there in five minutes,” lamented the bus driver.

“Lamented” technically works in place of “said,” but in the context of this essay it made no sense. There was no reason for the bus driver to be lamenting the fact that the basketball team would arrive at their destination in five minutes. (If anything, she was probably glad about it.) But teaching blossoming writers that “said” should be avoided in favor of “stronger” replacements (debatable in the case of “stated,” if you ask me) doesn’t make their writing any better. Replacing an overabundance of “saids” with other words does nothing but replace tedium with distraction and discordance.

Instead, if you find a writer using “said” too frequently, try suggesting these.

Replace dialogue tags with actions. This is probably the best thing to do if you find writing that is overrun with “said.” Generally, if it starts to feel that there’s too much “said” in a scene, it’s not the word itself that is the problem but rather the amount of tagging. Not every line of dialogue needs to be tagged! There should be enough tags to keep readers aware of who is speaking, but not so many that “he said,” “she said” comes after every line.

Replacing some of these tags with what characters are doing not only cuts your number of dialogue tags but adds interest to the scene and strengthens your writing. Consider this: instead of saying “he said sadly,” which, p.s., is technically a form of telling, you could describe how puffy his eyes are, how red his nose is, or the way a muscle twitches in his face as he tries not to cry (showing!) Because this suggestion can help replace telling with showing, you should also consider it if the writing has a lot of dialogue but lacks imagery and detail.

Do away with some tags. As previously stated, not every line of dialogue needs to be tagged. This is especially true if only two characters are speaking in a scene. Once you’ve established who is speaking first, readers can follow along with infrequent reminders. Depending on how long the characters’ exchange is, we might not need any reminders at all. Like so:

“Good,” he replied. “What about you?”
“Just dandy.”
“That’s good.”

Dull subject matter aside, I’m betting you didn’t forget who was talking just because I didn’t use “he said” and “she said” in those last two lines. This can be trickier if more than two characters are part of the conversation, but replacing some of your tags with action à la my last suggestion can allow you to use this method in areas where readers are unlikely to be confused about who is speaking.

(Sufficient differences in character speech patterns can help prevent confusion, as well, but more on that in a future article.)

Break up dialogue with thought or action. I know, I know: Wait, Blue. Isn’t this exactly the same as that first suggestion?

NOPE.

It is related, but not the same. The first suggestion results in an exchange like this:

“Just dandy.” She heaved a sigh that contradicted her words.
“That’s good,” he said uncertainly.

Rather than breaking up the dialogue with nonspeech, the first method simply replaces dialogue tags with small bits of character action. This suggestion, however, results in something more like this:

It took so long for her to answer that, at first, he wasn’t sure she’d heard him. She twisted the ring on her left ring finger around and around, watching the play of light on the gold band. He started to feel as if she’d forgotten about him.
“Just dandy,” she said finally, but the sigh that followed belied her words.
He shifted in his seat. The leather upholstery squeaked.
“That’s good,” he said.

Notice that almost every “said” from my original example is in place (three out of four), yet the writing doesn’t seem repetitive like it did when I had pure dialogue without any action or thought. Not only that, but dialogue that formerly seemed like polite nothings--something you’re generally cautioned to cut from your characters’ speech--has gained new intrigue. What the characters are saying is at odds with the awkwardness of the squeaky chair leather, the woman’s sigh, and her apparent fascination with her wedding ring. Are these characters married? Friends? Relatives? Paramours? Are they having an affair or getting a divorce? Or does the woman’s fascination with her ring signify nothing except her current distraction with--whatever she’s distracted about?

Breaking up long (or short) strings of dialogue with character thought and action can rid writing of repetitiveness, add interest, and flesh out the characters and plot. Ready? Here comes Bill Nye.

In real life, people rarely fire off long strings of clever speech without pause or interruption. Conversation is messy, sticky, meandering, broken, marked by half-thoughts, abrupt subject changes, and things left unsaid. Breaking up dialogue with character thought and action can give the illusion that your dialogue mirrors real speech, when, in reality, you rarely want to write dialogue exactly as real speech because all the interruptions and unfinished sentences frustrate readers.

Of course, the real trick here is combining all the suggestions. A nice mix of dialogue tags, character actions, untagged lines of dialogue, conversations broken up by action or character thoughts, and replacements for “said” (used sparingly) will strengthen your dialogue and the rest of your writing, replace telling with showing, and give readers a better feel for your characters and plot. Try it out!

Mon May 11, 2015 11:58 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

KANOME’S RANT OF MEDIA

Written by Kanome < PM: >

Hello, Kanome here with a new review for you! I have been playing this survival game for over a week now, and from what I’ve seen, it’s fantastic! This game has been out for such a small amount of time and yet, it became popular since its release. I personally think this is one of the best games I ever played in my lifetime. This game is a survival, apocalypse game that you can create things, play online with other survivors, and enjoy a good storyline. I am talking about Dying Light.

Dying light is a zombie-apocalypse game that also has side conflicts into it. This game has peaked my interest since I first start playing it. I love how the game was made, and how the gameplay is. The gameplay is first person survival, meaning using the skills to survive plus learning how to craft things in order to survive, such as medkits, lockpicks, etc.

This game shows one main conflict: finding a cure for the virus that causes people to turn into zombies, and side conflicts: the main character with an organization who is on a mission, and two groups of survivors in war.

The graphics also look simply amazing. Look at this zombie:

If you have anything you want me to review, simply PM me.

Until next time, Squillians!

Kanome

Mon May 11, 2015 11:58 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Laelle has earned their first review star. Head over to their wall to congratulate them !

@BC24 has posted the first chapter of a romantic novel called “Flawed Nature.” Read the first chapter and leave a review !

@Jaein posted about herself in the Welcome Mat. Click here to read her post and welcome her to the site !

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@NathanielMunoz@bloodybelle01@lisalart@zeh@Sailboatism@writingmaniac123@karajoy@cpynes5575@MyGlassHeart@briantheyounger1044@stagejunge@SectorSeventyTwo@Penacoladis@masquerad3@sonika@Maisy@MeredithGray@jamesrae123@iLikeToWriteStuff@almiura@jazthefae@angellockwood@Amethyst10@amiudadochapeupreto@zusakshusterman@tiyu@naveedhassan@sudipa18@miki555@bethgordon2@emily232@Jaein@krmckinnon@Upendra@namitgogia12@KiyraWoods@Laelle@alexking13@anushasi • @WaleedPervaiz • @Alucard@HerDreamsWriter@ThisIsTMarie@mkm3397@hbriggs@TheOldFox@luceviox@Subtlepuff@DiamondAngel13K@oishik1504sumi@BC24@KBizzzle@DevonThePoet@TaliesinNexus@iamrobtrev@Skittles1996@CorruptedRoseJen@mels@harsh@brokenkate112@Lightbringer@MominaDomina@hunterboo17@Gakii@mahimawriter@TheUncommonMind@JonCruickshank@newagebeatnik@emptymeofmyself@writerspen@Brawness

Mon May 11, 2015 11:59 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 5/10
written by megsug < PM: >

Extra! Extra! Four links, one roundup, great deal! Read about making characters, reviewing poetry, and plans for summer! Extra! Extra!

@OliveDreams has created a game where a user creates a character based purely off the name. After posting the description, the user leaves a new name for the next user. One of my favorite descriptions so far is @Dutiful’s of a Blair Bluebell:

Blaire Bluebell is a fifty-eight year old Scottish playwright. She currently lives in a cottage far from the city, with her feline friend, 'Maggie'. On a good day, she can be found outside tending to her garden or on her porch, writing. She loves to cook, feed her cat and talk to her grandchildren over the phone. People describe her as a 'bright' and 'very loquacious' woman with a 'green thumb'.

The next name is Danni Worthington. Descriptions should be under five sentences. Get your characterization juices going now!

@Bloodsrain is interested in horror. Specifically, users’ favorite horror. He loves Lovecraft but is also familiar with creepypasta, telling us about one:

…my favorite would probably be On a Hill, a very long creepy pasta that i'm a huge fan of do to its tension building. I remember while reading it, I jumped whenever someone messaged or talked to me.

He wants to know what your favorite horror is.

@Big Brother wants to know what everyone is doing with their summers. Answers range from more school to exciting trips. @ForgottenMemories might have a really great experience lined up:

If I'm lucky I get to spend half my summer with my mom traveling cross country on the truck.

I certainly wish her luck! What are your plans this summer?

@Nate is interested in exactly what to keep an eye out for when reviewing poetry. Several people have answered with indepth explanations like @Dreamwalker’s:

I try and keep it to two very particular sections, one of them being substance whilst the other being diction. Both aspects, in my opinion, are the only ones that have any particular weight that isn't subjective.

With substance, it's all about the inspiration. The reason behind what you're writing, or if you're writing with a reason…

…Diction is where the concept of word choice comes in…

The quote barely does her justice. Check out the thread to understand more fully what Dreamwalker is talking about as well as read the strategies of other users. This is a great resource for anyone who doesn’t know what to do when faced with a poem.

Tue May 12, 2015 12:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Squills: Now Hiring

See this thread for further details.

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Tue May 12, 2015 12:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer • @Holofernes • @VeerenVKS • @megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer • @Draknghar • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @Widdershins • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Zhia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli • @Wolfare1 • @malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @CaptainSaltWater • @Seraphinaxx • @pretzelsing • @WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri