z

Young Writers Society

Squills 11/16/14-11/25/14

Reviews: 0
Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:47 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
ShadowVyper

General Reporters
BiscuitsBatchAvoy

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Associates of Gruno and Pruno
Gravity
Blackwood

Link Cowgirl
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
BlueAfrica
ArcticMonkey

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
Hannah
AlfredSymon

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:55 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE IDES OF NOVEMBER: A NANOWRIMO UPDATE
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Well, folks, we’re halfway through November, which means it’s time for an update on National Novel Writing Month! Let’s see how things are going for our YWS Wrimos.

@SparkToFlame is right on schedule. She says,

Fabulously! [I’m at] 27,271. Hopefully I’ll hit 29k tonight. [My story is] action and adventure! It’s basically about taking control of your own destiny and making your life your own, no matter who tries to stop you.

@r4p17 is trying out his first-ever romance novel and doing way better than I am fantastically. He says,

I just crested 40k, and I hope to reach 50k by the 18th of November. I am glad to be way ahead of schedule, because that means I have longer for editing! So far the book has been going pretty well, but I think that my plot is going pear-shaped! I am not really going from point A to point B like I wanted to. I am not really sure what the ending of the book is going to be. The basic plot [of Cords of Love] is that Elton and Maria meet each other before the start of the story and find that they like each other. According to the original plan, they grow further apart as November goes on. This is largely due to the fact that Elton is participating in NaNoWriMo. In the end, Elton has to decide whether he wants to win NaNoWriMo or continue his relationship with Maria. But that isn't really going to plan, because Elton keeps trying to be too nice…

For those YWSers who aren’t doing so well—who are behind on word count, dealing with insane levels of mid-NaNo stress, or banging their heads against a wall as they battle writers block—our mods have been writing pep talks to keep you going . Be sure to check them out if you need an extra boost!

If you’re still looking for a good writing app to push you through your draft, check out the suggestions in the NaNoWriMo Programs/Apps thread . A favorite (or least favorite, depending on who you talk to) is Write or Die , an app that flashes messages, plays annoying sounds, and even deletes your words if you stop writing for too long! However, you can put this app on a variety of settings to find what best motivates you. Set a time limit and word count goal, and then choose to be rewarded when you reach your goal within the time limit, face consequences when too much time passes between words, or simply set up a pleasing writing environment with the “stimulus” setting.

@ancientforever wants to know about your NaNoWriMo techniques. Do you believe that slow and steady wins the race? Do you fall behind and then speed to catch up? Are you a pantser or a planner? Let them know on their Your NaNo Techniques thread .

Two weeks to go, peeps! Let us know how your NaNo is going !

It’s not too late! Get things started at the official NaNoWriMo website.

Come back in December for a NaNoWriMo wrap-up. See you then!

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:57 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Children of the Holocaust
written by BiscuitsBatchAvoy < PM: >

Assia Levinski

Last month, I travelled to Poland along with two hundred other pupils from Scottish schools. This was a one-day trip with one purpose: to visit Auschwitz. Auschwitz is a catch-all term for all of the camps established by the Nazis in and around the Polish town of Oświęcim. I visited Auschwitz I, where the barracks had been converted into museums saluting the dead and Birkenau, where everything was left as it was when the Soviets liberated it in 1945. This was only a small part of the Holocaust, a tiny, minuscule slice of the horror. It meant a lot to me though, so I got it into my head that I would write a blog for my Next Steps.
The programme that ran the trip requires participants to complete a Next Steps project that brings the lessons they learned from the trip to their school or community. Nobody specified that my 'community' had to be my town. I consider YWS my home as much as my home town. So I decided that the blog would also be available as articles on here to reach as wide an audience as I could. You may not enjoy what you are about to read but please do read. If nothing else, Assia deserves to be remembered.
Assia Levinski was thirteen years old at the outbreak of WWII. She lived with her parents and younger brother Monia in a small village called Kazlu-Ruda, Lithuania. Her grandparents lived nearby on a farm and her father dealt in lumber. They were a close-knit family, but by the time of Assia's death they would be scattered throughout the country.

The nearest city was Marijampole, where both of Assia's parents had attended secondary school. Marijampole had a Jewish population of 2,545. Many of this community worked in agriculture or small industry. Additionally, steps had been made in establishing Jewish educational foundations in the city.

The Germans invasion of Lithuania began in the summer of 1941 and did not end until four years later. The invasion was by many seen as in fact a liberation of the oppressive Soviet regime. Soon however, the Germans did not acknowledge the Provisional Government set up by the Lithuanians and attitudes towards the Germans changed dramatically.

At this time, thirteen-year-old Assia and her family were forced to move to a ghetto with over 7,000 fellow Jews crammed into unsanitary flats. The ghettos severely lacked food, medicine and sanitation. Jews were forced to work for the German government. Overcrowding was a given and waste was disposed of in the streets. Any who resisted were shot.

The Lithuanian Ghettoes were liquidated in June 1943. However, Assia did not make it that far.

In September 1941, Jews were led away from the Ghettoes in groups of 500. This was part of the mass execution phase of the Lithuanian Holocaust, lasting from June-December 1941. The Einsatzgruppen marched the groups a few miles outside the city and lined up the Jews in ditches, facing away from their executioners. The killing squads walked up and down the line shooting each Jew in the head, one by one. Any who resisted were shot.

Mass execution ravaged through Lithuania in the latter half of 1941, unlike many other occupied countries where the elimination campaign was more gradual. It is estimated that 80% of Lithuania's Jews had been murdered by 1942.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:57 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ASK GRUNO
written by Gruno < PM: >

Welcome to Ask Gruno, the advice column in which stuff happens. Gruno will answer any questions you throw at him, be it advice, personal opinion, solutions or philosophy. My cousin Pruno has been busy at the wonderful school for Pruno people, so I will be taking over the column. Every now and again, Pruno may make an appearance, so never fear! May the question answering commence!

Dear those who Know with a capital K,
I know you work closely with Squills, and the Squills Robot. I think I speak for everyone when I ask: Does Squillsbot have a special sequence that, when activated, could destroy the world?
-Not a Spy

Dear Not a Spy,
Yes, SquillsBot does have a DestroyTheWorld Sequence. We call it the DTW code and it is supposed to be used only when naughty YWSers ask questions about it. So… if you find yourself not being able to wake up tomorrow, just know that’s it’s all your fault. You destroyed the world.
Love,
Gruno

Dear Gruno,
What do you think of ice skating? Would you recommend someone taking professional ice skating?

P.S. Can you guess who this is?

-youknowme

Dear youknowme,
I think ice skating, particularly figure skating is a wonderful sport. I have been secretly training for the Olympics for years, I think I’ll win gold. I definitely recommend taking ice skating lessons. Especially if you love twirling through the air in short outfits that, by the way, totally don’t show off your backside at all. Yes, @TimmyJake I know exactly who you are. You asked way more than one question and to be honest, you’re giving me these creepy vibes. So yeah.
Love,
A slight weirded out Gruno

Dear Awesome People,
Puppies, or kittens? Which is the cutest? Also, why are they cute? Have you heard any stories about these adorable creatures?
-Animal Lover

Dear Animal Lover,
There is, in fact, a science behind what people find “cute”. Humans find babies cute because they have heads just a bit too big for their bodies, large eyes and small noses. Human instinct finds these babies “cute” because it triggers their maternal or paternal instinct to take care of their young, hence to carry on the human race. This transfers to other baby animals or just animals in general. And now, for the most adorable picture ever.

Love,
Gruno

Sadly, that’s all for this week. We need more questions. You all have been fabulous as far as asking questions, but the more we get, the better. We live to answer your questions and solve your conundrums so if you have a query, click this link

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:58 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Emma11 has already earned her first review star. Go to her wall and congratulate her .

@crissymarx has posted three poems in her time on the site so far. Take a look at her portfolio to check them out .

@musicandme is a self-proclaimed band geek who earned their first review star in their first twenty-four hours of membership! They’re also super-friendly, so go to their wall and say hi !

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@qjzdavf@fallingstars123@BarnOwl55@FRAzeus@Ghostly@ZombieUnicorn127@Ravencry9@RuRua@potatoduck@ryleigh127@GeorgieTheUnicorn@Firehead@prettylittlemissnik@Porygon13@bsallen215@Nankx@Bear987@TaylorH@FancyDragon@Njbryner@fandomized@leelahk@lunae@potatokitty@misskris@Bridget@LotusPink@JensenAcklesFan@Karmodea@kcitrin • @Meandbooks • @Hailstorm556@rikiinwonderland@meaghafan@lianne64@jenngar@Ammyshah3@gabriellemorrison@ElmurzaArsanukayev@APieceofMyMind@RudanaTasmin@theduke@samara300@rachelleburk@Catawing@BubblezDarling@Emaber0572@GravityFalls@forbiddenchambers@Pinkratgirl@spottedseashell@Fabiyaan23@Prathap@Jacobiaa@WeirdWritersOf2014@Momochan@Shanicestone@TimmyGriffin@Irrlichtchen@JordanSkys01@SageLeaves@Mitthali@favoritedaydream@Foxscotch@ET95@Oxford@67DemonSlayer@suicide99@stephanieblue@Imran76522@amyg14@danae33

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:59 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 11/16
written by megsug < PM: >

Browse through our extensive selection of links to find one just for you.

@Lylas has a rather whimsical question that has to do with the current president of the United States that has started a somewhat serious discussion. What would you say in a letter to the president of the United States? While some have an issue with healthcare, others suggestions for environmental policies, @Snoink has an interesting point:

In any case, politicians are only human. If you are annoyed by the policies that they have, attack the policies, not the person.

What would you say to the president?

The wonderful @StellaThomas has created a thread during the YWStival for the users to thank YWS and @Nate for everything it and he has given us! All of the thank you’s are very sweet, and it’s interesting to see how everyone has been affected by our beloved site. @Skydreamer has a really sweet note:

This site has been the place where I learned so much about writing, found out I have a passion for creating characters and gained a lot of memories that add to my life story.

Many times, YWS has been my voice…

Read why people love YWS and leave a few reasons of your own.

Once upon a time @BigBadBear created a thread. Years later @Wolfie36 revived it. Basically, the premise is that you put your music device on shuffle and list the first five songs that play. The next person to post rates your playlist. @MarbleToast did a great job rating:

You have the Who. +3
You have the Who's best song. +2
You have Pink Floyd. +2
You have Beethoven. +1

You have something from Frozen. -1

Final score= 7/10

How cool is your music?

Nate put a link on his wall a few days ago relating to YWS’ appearance and how it has changed throughout the years. The first look is so different from the one we have now:

Go take a YWS history lesson!

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:01 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Judas • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @Skydreamer • @Draknghar • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strangelove • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @RavenMoonStone • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @ddman18 • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omniclysm • @magpie • @AfterTheStorm • @JamesHunt • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Zhia • @Noelle

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle