z

Young Writers Society

All for Show?

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed May 25, 2022 5:40 am
View Likes
clarevelyn13 says...

It's your typical masquerade ball situation: think Cinderella, but with a little more mystery. Spring is in the air and the kingdom of Xanthia is anxiously awaiting an important royal decision. Tradition holds that upon reaching 20 years of age, a prince must choose his bride. Eligible maidens are generally courteous, respectable young ladies who hold a position of high rank. But lofty status and polished manners are only half the battle. Even catching the prince's eye is somewhat easier than getting past the final obstacle: the prince's mother. As protective as they come, Queen Mathilde Mattias has been strict with each of her 7 sons. And now the time has come for her very youngest, the seventh son, Prince Theodore Mattias, to follow custom and choose his future wife. And yet, who will really be doing the choosing?

Now it is up to you, my fellow Xanthians. The masquerade ball is tonight, and you are on your way to Mattias Keep, the great castle. Perhaps you are a young maid, wanting to steal the prince's heart. Perhaps you are a castle guard, keeping an eye out for trouble. Perhaps you are a castle servant, hoping to sneak in masked and unnoticed, to join the dance. Perhaps you are a duke or the son of a lord of some estate - even a childhood best friend of the prince, wondering if he’ll go along with his mother’s wishes. Whoever you are, you know that Prince Theodore will be choosing his bride-to-be by morning, or else his mother will be choosing for him. Let this masquerade commence!

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Welcome to my first topic in the roleplay realm! For some reason, this genre is a favorite of mine to write about, so I hope you may like it too. Feel free to join and introduce your character in your first post with them. You can play multiple characters if you like, including royal brothers, princesses, noblemen, musicians, guards, knights, etc. Lemme know if you've got any questions. I'll start with the prince and the queen in the next post. :D I hope this can be at least a somewhat active thread!

All for Show? {OOC}
Last edited by clarevelyn13 on Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed May 25, 2022 6:29 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Spoiler! :
i would love to join this but I head to work soon and I won't be home till, like, midnight. I'll try to think of a character in the meantime and write up a first post tomorrow or when i get home if I don't just pass out, just wanted to let ya know I plan to join!

I also suggest making an out of character thread for general scheming and discussion, this sounds like the sort of RP that could have a very active OOC thread with so much potential for drama, romance, even possible fight scenes.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 pm
View Likes
Corvid says...

Spoiler! :
i would also love to join this! i need to find and edit the character sheet for my oc Magnolia, but ill be sure to get a post up once i do
"yeet"
- albert einstein

Reviews: 3
Sat May 28, 2022 10:57 am
View Likes
Ayme says...

Hello!

I'd like to play the Young Nobleman (who's the antagonist) please. If he's not taken already, that is?

Name:
Prince Harold Wettin from the Kingdom of Fyn

Physical characteristics:
Brunette (slicked back), green eyes, tanned skin (from the sun) and thick eyebrows

Background/status/role in the kingdom:
The youngest child and only son of the three children of the King and Queen of Fyn. The Queen died during his birth but he was spoiled rotten by his two older sisters growing up. He has a heavy duty of taking over as King but he doesn't want to face the reality of it and comes to this ball to just fool around and make Prince Theodore Mattias's life difficult.

How are they affiliated with the royal family?:
Prince Harold and Price Theodore met when they went to a military training together as a form of alliance between the two kingdoms. Prince Harold is and always was jealous of Prince Theodore's light responsibility.

What are they wearing to the ball?:
Spoiler! :
just hang in there for a little bit longer :smt006

18 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 7:48 am
View Likes
clarevelyn13 says...

Spoiler! :
hehee... here we go!! I'm thinking the guests can start arriving, but not be "announced" yet into the main ballroom until the Queen and Tedward are out there watching. Don't worry, Mathilde won't stay in her dressing room toooo much longer.

The sun creeped downward toward the horizon and the air had a certain chill in it that made the spring night seem as if time was moving backwards. But Theo was acutely aware that time was moving ever so quickly forward. He stood upon his balcony, looking beyond the royal garden and out into the evening. In the distance he could see the first in a line of carriages approaching the castle gates. It would soon be time to begin this masquerade, to begin the process of the seemingly single most important choice he would make in his young life. Part of him wished he was currently practicing his sparring with one of the castle guard instead.

Theo crossed his arms and looked down at the golden detail on his sleeves. "Thanks for making me look presentable, Leo." The design and color of this tunic was much less deluded than his mother's first choice, while also managing to stand out as clean cut and well, princely. He looked the part. Even if he didn't quite feel it.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Deep in her dressing chambers, Queen Mathilde was occupied with the only thing that seemed fit for the current moment. Picking up one of her many gem-studded pumps, she raised her arm and haphazardly hurled it at the wall. It was one of the very few walls not adorned with dress after dress and shelf after shelf of silks, satins, and velvet. The shoe hit the wall and bounced to the floor.

"After all I have done for him? And he just dismisses what I had picked out?" Mathilde was not under the impression that a twenty year-old could not dress himself. This was, however, a very important event. Her son Theo needed to look... well, absolutely perfect. She shook her head and turned to look in the vanity mirror.

"Jessica?? Where did that girl get to? I need my cheeks touched up." They had become rather red from her fit of frustration.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon May 30, 2022 5:21 pm
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Eris lifted a hand and gently adjusted one of the many strands of pearls draped in her hair, then gazed out the window at the impressive-looking castle that the slow-moving carriage was approaching. Tilting her head she glanced at the line of carriages in front of hers, it seemed nearly every noble had come to vouch for the hand of the prince.
"Well this should be entertaining," She fitted the stiff black lace mask over her eyes.
I know my worth, anyone else opinion doesn't really matter
-Agent Carter

95 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 7:18 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Leonardo Esset

Leonardo was straightening out his station in the corner of the room when the prince spoke. "Of course, your majesty," he said with a dip of his head. He strode over to the balcony doors and stood several paces behind the prince. "Have you met any of the maidens who will be here tonight?"

Leo had. The queen would occasionally send him to attend to visiting royals when a more expert touch was required, or perceived to be required. Perhaps he would have some insight that could ease the prince's nerves.

xXx

Rain Seraphim

Rain reached over to adjust their sister's veil. "You're going to be fine Clara."

Clara bit her lip, staring down at her fidgeting hands. "But...father's ire will be unbearable if I don't catch the prince's eye. I am already beyond marriage age."

"You're beautiful, and kind, and my very antithesis. You could not be more eligible," Rain said, "If the prince does not pick you I'll set him straight."

Clara looked up in horror, "You wouldn't!"

Rain laughed, holding up their hands in surrender. "I was merely joking. I will be perfectly behaved."

he/they

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue May 31, 2022 8:10 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Julian had been looking forward to this. The prince had been glued to the carriage window all the way to his family’s castle, and though he’d gone on and on sharing personal story after personal story about his parents and all his brothers, it was only now that they’d arrived at the tall spiry gates that he slouched back in his seat, and gesticulated freely.

“Oh Theo, Theo. My innocent baby brother. He has no idea.” he lamented indulgently, curling his red moustache.

“No idea of the wicked machinations he’s about to be beset by. The endless machinations of dreaming maidens. The tireless ploys of their desperate families! The ruthless designs of our dear mother.”

“And of you.” added Dianna. His wife had been peacefully knitting a shawl over their journey, despite the poor lighting inside the carriage.

“Well, yes.” Julian admitted casually. “But I am the one true master of romantic skulduggery. I’m the only one who knows what he’s doing.

After all, you recall my twentieth- Mother told me in the clearest of terms that I was not to share anything more than simple pleasantries with the princess of Ghastlémieux, it was 'You have a divine gift for saying the wrong thing at the worst time, Julian' this, or 'You're going to start a war, Julian' that, but it all worked out smashingly well in the end, didn't it?”

Dianna smiled and touched her cheek, her pupils dilated in sweet remembrance.

“I’ll never forget how she turned white as a ghost when she saw us dance.”

“And red as a beet when she found us under the tables.” said Julian with an eyebrow waggle that belonged absolutely nowhere in a respectable publication. It should have been censored.

Undeterred by this filthy display, Dianna dreamily continued.

“When she found the stash of boutonnieres we stole from the other guests... The book forts we made in the library... I thought she was going to kill you.”

“Ah well- she’ll have another chance tonight, eh?” said Julian with a hefty chuckle.

“How rudely you speak of your mother.” said Dianna flatly. “She would never derail her youngest son’s big night like that.”

Julian laughed again, and sighed. "Hah! Ah. Of course."

"But your brother." said Dianna. "You trust him to follow his heart, don't you?"

Julian stopped, mildly caught off guard.

"Of course. I know Theo. He may be a good boy, but I'm sure he'll listen to his heart, in the end. But we can't leave him to fate- and especially not to Mother. He needs all the help he can get!"

Dianna stopped. She put her knitting down, and stared at her husband with big, big eyes.

"I understand."

She smiled, and her eyelids relaxed.

"Attend to your brother. I will protect you both from the shadows."

Julian grinned back, his teeth flashing mischievously in the castle lights.

"Darling, that's all I need. With your help, tonight will be a masterpiece."
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

18 Reviews

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:25 pm
View Likes
clarevelyn13 says...

Theo turned his head as he heard the royal tailor come up to the doors behind him. He sighed, moving his gaze back towards the ever-progressing sunset and leaned against the white marble balcony railing.

"Besides a few princesses from my brothers' kingdoms, I suppose not," he replied. There had been those he had met at the various other 'coming-of-age' balls his mother had thrown for his brothers who would surely be coming tonight. Others he may have met at some previous political engagement, especially surrounding times of high tension. He briefly wondered what kind of extravaganzas his mother would decide to throw after this night, having run out of freshly 20 year-old sons.

Theo narrowed his eyes in deeper thought. "Leo," his voice was much softer, as if someone listening nearby might decide to pass on what he was about to say to the Queen. After all, such things had been passed on before by those hoping to gain her good opinion.

"Leo, suppose I meet no maid that I should choose to ask in marriage," he paused briefly. "I mean, I've always found it particularly fortunate that each of my brothers found their future wives in attendance - and even still wives that met Mother's distinct approval. I should hope to have as much luck as them, and yet..."

95 Reviews

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:44 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Leonardo shook his head, moving to gently smooth the collar of the prince's suit. "Don't speak such nonsense," he chastised, though he had had similar thoughts before during the planning of this ball. The prince must meet his match tonight. The fair young woman was riding in now on one of those carriages which drew ever nearer. She had to be.

"Don't fret too much about it, my lord. I have met many of the royal women you may meet tonight over the years, and if you wish it I will engage a few in conversation and take the ones I believe will meet yours, but possibly more importantly for the sake of your heart, your mothers standards to you. Would that ease you at all?"

he/they

Reviews: 3
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:36 pm
View Likes
Ayme says...

=Prince Harold Wettin of Fyn=
Spoiler! :

"These servants...will be...the end of me." Harold massaged the bridge of his nose, "How hard is it to get the colour right?!" he said with the full force of his voice, making the female servant take a step back and turn her head down in an apologetic bow.

"Prince Harold, if I may so intervene?" said a calm smooth voice from behind him. It was his butler, Niles. "You are all dismissed," Niles instructed the four people in the Prince's changing room. The pitter-patter of hurried feet along with the grand thud of the door being shut signalled their leave.

"I look like a peasant, Niles. This colour is so drab!" Harold pulled the edge of his waistcoat. "It doesn't match with my navy blue cape, how am I supposed to exude royalty when I look like I'm off to do peasantry work at sea?"

Niles lightly brushed the cape on Prince Harold's shoulders with his glove-covered hands. "You look astounding nevertheless, Your Highness." Niles looked at the young man's reflection in the full-length mirror, as he stood behind him. "Your clothes don't define you, Your Highness. You have the makings of the future King!"

"Oh don't start on that now," Harold said, shifting his eyes towards the floor "I don't want to be reminded," he looked back at his reflection and adjusted his collar whilst lifting his chin, "it'll ruin my mood."

"Perhaps then, what I'll say next might delight you," said Niles, folding his hands behind his back.

Prince Harold immediately turned to look at the old man with greying hair and a wrinkly, yet serene smile, "The berries? You've acquired them?!" he exclaimed.

There was no hiding the huge smile that drew upon the young Prince's face. Niles merely did a curt bow, "As per your request, they were specifically brought from the valley of Cyclospora, and I ensured that they arrived just in time for your departure."

"Oh you truly are the bringer of good news!" he said, hugging the now surprised Niles, "My mood is how a thousand times better!" Prince Harold said, pulling away, whilst still holding onto the surprised Butler's shoulders, "I can barely hold back my excitement!"

Drawing a deep breath, the Prince of Fyn looked up at the ceiling, "You just wait to see what I have in store for you, Ted." he said, balling his fist in the air with a triumphant smile. "The night will feel endless for you!"

"I'm glad to see you're feeling better now, Your Highness." Niles took a step back and bowed curtly. "Should I send the servants back in to finish helping you with your attire?"

"Yes, send them all in!" he said, rubbing his palms together, the smile still riddled across his tan face. "Tonight will be marvellous!" he raised both his fists in the air.

"What about the berries that are from our fields?" the Prince asked, "How'd I distinguish them from the ones from Cyclospora?"

"Oh you need not worry, Your Highness," said Niles, "I've made the perfect arrangements."
just hang in there for a little bit longer :smt006

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:25 am
View Likes
Corvid says...

Lilian Wells
(ft. some unnamed side-characters)
Lilian stepped into the carriage before her and smiled at the two people already inside. Neither looked especially glad to see her, but she hadn’t expected much else. The grown son and daughter of a far-away duke, the pair had likely been traveling for weeks to get to the palace. Lilian wasn’t sure what strings had been pulled to get her a ride, but she could safely assume that giving a stranger a ride hadn't been a part of their plans.
“Good evening,” Lilian said. “Thank you for the ride. I hope your journey’s been pleasant so far.”
“Of course,” one of them said.
“It’s been fine,” said the other.
Lilian smiled. “Are you excited for the ball?” She asked. Small talk wasn't her favorite, but she might as well get it out of the way.
“Very,” said the woman. She looked Lilian up and down, taking in her outfit and mask. “I take it you are as well?”
“Of course. It’s not every day that something like this happens.”
“You’re hoping to meet the prince, then?”
Rich and rude, ugh. Lilian should’ve never agreed to this. Prince Julian could find someone else to try and win over his brother, thank you very much.
But it was too late to back out now. Once again, Lilian forced herself to smile. “I have my hopes, of course.” She said. “And if nothing comes of it...” She gave a small sigh. “Well, at least I’ll have been able to have seen the palace.”
“Surely you’ve visited?”
“Not since I was a child.” Lilian said. She gave a small sigh. “You have?”
The man nodded across from her nodded.
“Tell me,” Lilian said, giving what she hoped was a convincing grin. “What’s it like?”
The man across from her leaned back in his seat. “Well,” he began, launching into a story that already threatened to put Lilian to sleep. “It was about two summers ago...”
"yeet"
- albert einstein

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:06 pm
View Likes
Amnesia says...

Spoiler! :
if yall dont mind me joining in <3

Anya Brannon

Anya stood perfectly still on the tailors step while her mother and their seamstress fussed about her skirt. Their words not reaching her ears as she stared into the mirror at her reflection. Her pale skin looking even more pale in contrast to the dark blood red of the fabric of her bodice. The shimmer of the tiny gems her mother insisted on the dress having catching the light from the window. Anya tried to take a deep breath despite the tight corset hugging her torso. A moment later her mother beckoned her off the step.

"Its almost time darling. You look beautiful as ever." Her mother said, a soft look in her eyes as she reached out and tucked a strand of Anya's red hair behind her ear. Tears welled up in her mothers eyes suddenly as she pulled a long black box out of a drawer and held it out to her daughter.

"Your father wouldve wanted you to have this. I wish he could see you"

Anya gently took the box and opened it, inside was a small gold chain with a single small diamond in the middle. Anyas mother helped her put it on and handed her a simple black mask with small gems attached to the border.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anya sat in a carriage being pulled away from her home. She couldnt shake the sense of finality as she moved further and further away. she fiddled with the necklace around her neck. thinking about her mother and father and hoping she could have the same love story they did.
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data