22%
Go with badges
78%

Total votes : 101

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:44 pm
Nate says...

If you've read through the big changes thread, you can probably skip right to the voting, but it's still best to read the below just for a refresher.

Summary
Around YWS, you see people in six different colors (seven counting the default blue). Those colors represent ranks, and this proposal is about replacing the Instructor and Greeter ranks with a badge system. I've included what the badges will look like below:
badges.png
badges.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

Why would we do this?
There are a lot of good things about the current rank system. I like how it provides members with recognition of their hard work, and how it allows all to easily spot someone who may be helpful. But, there are issues as well.

The primary issue is that the ranks cause stress. Upon becoming an Instructor, one feels a duty to review. This may sound good, but it's not. Eventually, life gets in the way and reviewing goes by the wayside. When this happens, one feels guilty. As one feels guilty, he/she begin avoiding YWS. As a result, we lose an excellent member who otherwise may have stuck around. I get an e-mail at least once a week to this effect, and that's just those who contact me.

Moreover, badges will still provide recognition. And since badges don't carry a duty with them like a rank, we won't have so many excellent people ditching YWS anymore.

There are other reasons of course as well. One reason is just to simplify matters; if you've noticed, there's been a trend since the new YWS opened to make things simpler. Yet, the primary reason is just to get rid of stress. YWS should be about fun and helping; not stress!

How would the badges work?
The badges would be managed by a nomination process open to all. We'll have a forum for nominations, and in that forum there'll be a thread for each badge. Once any user receives five nomination, the nomination will then be sent to the JMs and mods for final review. The final review is meant just to ensure against abuse (such as popularity contests).

Outcome of Poll
As with all major changes on YWS that cause some controversy, a super-majority (60%) is necessary for passage. The poll will remain open through January 6, 2010 (my time, US East Coast).
Attachments
badges.png
badges.png (27.14 KiB) Viewed 181 times

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:51 pm
Rosendorn says...

As one of those people who was tempted to retire because I felt a duty to review/greet because of my colours, I'm in full support of the badges.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 pm
Snoink says...

Voted!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:59 pm
Kamas says...

Voted.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 pm
MeadowLark says...

I'm usually not one for change, but...Voted!
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:14 pm
Elinor says...

Voted....

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 pm
Rydia says...

Voted. I'm also in favour of the badge system.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:34 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Voted. Badges sound great to me!
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm
Snoink says...

As a side note, if badges go through, we should totally have a 10001 badge. ;D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Voted =]
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:27 pm
JabberHut says...

Snoink wrote:As a side note, if badges go through, we should totally have a 10001 badge. ;D

If it's rainbow-colored, then I just found a New Year resolution.

Voted!
I make my own policies.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:29 pm
Evi says...

Voted. ^^ After much consideration, mind you.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:51 pm
imapoemperson says...

Voted. :)
"We played Pin the Tail on the Reason My Life Feels So Insufficient, and nobody won." -Megan Moriarty

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:39 pm
LowKey says...

JabberHut wrote:
Snoink wrote:As a side note, if badges go through, we should totally have a 10001 badge. ;D

If it's rainbow-colored, then I just found a New Year resolution.

Voted!

I third Snoink's motion and second Jabber's.

Also, voted.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:43 pm
Sare Agama says...

Could we possibly have both? I like both ideas.
Your monthly Bible quote: "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are decietful." Proverbs 27:6

I feel like if I was the mafia I’d leave a voicemail.
— Tuckster