Young Writers Society

2016 YWS Yearbook

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:12 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

*slaps Monopoly money on the counter*
I'll take this spot. I'm guessing it will turn over to the third page but I don't really care since I was on the fifth last year.

Lizz’s YWS Yearbook Page 2016
Some of you may know me, most of you will probably not. I don’t run in many circles with many different people but I do try and pop up every. If you know me skip over the intro and read what I say about my few friends and the year I’ve had. Everyone else, read the intro.

My name is Elizabeth but pretty much everywhere on YWS I go by Liz or Lizzy. To the permanent residents of the chat lounge, my name is Lizz. Call me whatever you like. I’m a somewhat new member to this place as in 13-14 months. (Depending on when I finish this post.) I used to review badly, learned the trade and reviewed for a couple of months before dropping off the radar. The lounge chat room is my home until I my lease runs up and I’ll have to find a new part of yws to devote all of my time to.

My year on this site has been great except for the occasional talk of politics or some other topic I despise/avoid at all costs. The lounge got to be really serious back in the spring which probably explains why my review count increased then. My real world hasn’t been so great and I pretty much spend all my free time here to try and forget it.

Some Compliment Like Things For Friends
Spoiler! :
@Sacredlege
You were the first in my small number of friends that I decided to mention. I barely had anybody to mention last here and I’m happy to have a friend-like person to talk about. I met you in March sometime and our mutual like of Sherlock is probably the only reason I talked to you. The reason I kept talking was because of you super useful advice and ability to work curse words into any situation. You’re also one of the few people (only person really) who listened all the way through when I explained my novel and then talked to me after it. For that I thank you and wish you good luck with the new year.

@Casanova
I met you when I first arrived here and my first stupid decision as a newb was to enter chat. I swear we need to hang a sign up on the door about ‘Warning: Sarcasm’. But the extreme use of sarcasm and the people made me stick around. You were called Ryu back then but I called you Captain Reverse. That was the first in a long string of weird nicknames.
Lately we’ve been reviewing each other’s stuff and that has proved to be very interesting.

Compliment Like Things For People I Somehow Managed to Get a Follow Back From
Spoiler! :
Now that I’m following like 43 people, I think I should probably say something about each of them in the order they currently appear on my page. It’s only like one sentence but still it’s the thought that counts, right?

@TheSilverFox
I actually haven’t talked to you for a very long time but I had to give a shout out to the person who likes every single post of mine and lots of other people. I’m not sure whether to admire this or call you insane, maybe both. The jury is still out on that decision but thanks.

@Rydia
All the stupid Doctor Who poems you sat through for some reason and then reviewed. I thanked you for this once or twice but thanks again.

@PickledChrissy
I’ve only talked to you a couple of times but I had fun during the few, short conversations.

@Mea
Sherlock and reviews were the only reasons I talked to you. That sounds bad when I type it out but that is legit the only thing I can think of to say.

@Persistence
You’re just someone funny to talk to occasionally and it’s nice to have someone like that around.

@Mage
I don’t read your reviews nor am I in any SBs with you but I hear you are great at both. The only way I know you is from the long string of positive quotes that pop up in my feed everyday. It’s bothersome in a sort of happy way.

@Iggy

@haredrier
Haven’t seen you in chat for a bit but when you were there, you were certainly funny. I’m still trying to come up with new jokes about rabbits and hair dryers.

@Wolfical
I have never really run in the same circles as you except for your Clue storybook. Besides that, I had never really talked to you and I’m not sure how I ended up following you in the first place. Guessing it was over dogs or music. Whatever the reason was, I have found through a couple of conversations with you, that you are very cool.

@EverWinter
Sherlock. That seems to be popping up a lot in this post but in my defense this is all that I know you for. Well this and being a fun person to talk to in the lounge.

@Carlito
I’m sort of trying to say nice things to people around the holidays but all that’s echoing in my mind is Ravenclaw and Harry Potter.

@cleverclogs
*tries to compliment someone’s reviews and poetry*
*fails*
Being a Sherlock and Supernatural fan automatically makes you cool.

@AkeliaTaske
The only person I know on Tumblr and also Star Wars.

@megsug
My memory is very odd and I remember the least important things I shouldn’t remember and forget the really important things. But when I was on my stupid crusade of conversations that were on fire, you told me to be safe about it. Not sure if this is the right thing to write down here but the comment about fire safety just stuck in my mind.

There are people I haven’t talked and don’t really know so I’m just going to leave you a nice collective message.
Spoiler! :
Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. It was nice to meet you this year even though I didn’t get to talk to you much. Wish I had something to say to each and everyone of you but I don’t know you well enough to say anything.
@ThereseCricket
@Winchester19867
@TahaT11n
@5kKitty
@Pernicus
@Ivywater
@Hare
@Laurenh6
@CHRISSY321
@InfiniteRectangles
@ReviewBuddy
@dtaylor417
@woeth
@Amindor
@TABBYCATLOVER
@Justateenagewriter
@KaiRyu
@penfeme
@PancakeandWaffle
@selena1227
@AmyMedek
@Vellichor
@EternalRain
@passenger
@ChieRynn
@marmalade
@Vellichor

People I’m Not Actually Friends with But I Know From Places
Spoiler! :
@Kaos
Both your poems and reviews are great but what I remember you for is the time I was young and clueless, and you made a joke about how the frequent chat people were serial killers. I don’t remember the specifics but that has always stuck with me.

@amelie
I don’t what to say here Waffs but you’re alright.

@AlexSushiDog
#AlexSushiGod is forever what I remember when I talk to you. It’s replacing the previous memory of the other cult you were part of. What was the other cult again?
Last edited by Brigadier on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:32 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

//occupies space
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Hurray for writing, nerdiness, and @Mage!!!!!
*signs* The Steady Raven
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:29 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

Marmalade's 2016

Okay, so I'm going to go ahead and start writing my first YWS Yearbook post. I already said a whole lot on my wall and I have so much I want to say, so I'm just going to stop procrastinating and get started. I joined YWS in November 2015 but I didn't really start falling in love and writing passionately until January 2016. I wrote my first poem and posted it on YWS on January 25th (I didn't go back and check the date, I just know it). I'm not particularly proud of that poem, in fact, I very much hate it. But I cannot lie and say it didn't start some of my greatest passions which are writing, reading and learning poetry. I can wholeheartedly dedicate and title 2016 as the year of my writing in my mind. I'm writing a novel I am so excited about and I've made so many accomplishments in my poetry. It's only my first year of being a poet and I've been published twice! My poem "I Planted A Seed" was published in November(?) edition of Teen Ink Magazine and this upcoming poetry collection called Imagine by The American Library of Poetry (comes out in the summer). It blows my mind how far I've come. I don't want to sound like I'm patting my own back but like all of us, I've been through some hard times and just to look back and see how far I've come. I'm forever grateful to the people who helped me get here.

I'm so excited for 2017, but I'm not quite done with talking about 2016 yet xD. In my mind, 2016 is the year of my writing but that's only because I like to highlight the positivity instead of the negativity. Trust me, I've had so much drama, brokenness, sadness, and overall mental exhaustion in 2016. I made the choice to let go of two friendships after going through an entire year (2016) of drama. I thought one of these friendships were going to go on for years, but people grow apart. I felt like I lost control and I felt neglected as I watched the people I love and my friends deal with their own battles and forget I exist. I have my regrets and I'm trying to keep myself grounded but it's hard breaking old habits. It's really hard when you can so easily text someone. I haven't quite figured out if I'll be able to begin again with these friends in the future yet. I'm pretty sure I've ruined all my chances and they've moved on. It still hurts as it's only been a few months but I'm hoping 2017 I'll learn to cherish the friendships I have and create new ones. I'm hoping I'll stop thinking ill of friends who still keep in touch with people who have hurt me and people whom I've hurt. I don't hold any anger towards anyone from 2016 but I do have my guard up to protect myself from falling again.

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2017. I hope everyone is happy. I've grown so much in 2016. I really think we have to go through the bad things to become stronger and better people. I'm becoming more and more proud of the person I'm becoming and it's all thanks to the experiences and friendships I've had and I'll have for years to come. I love you all and here's to a horribly painful yet wonderful 2016!

Shoutouts to Wonderful People!
Spoiler! :

I seriously hope I don't forget anyone! And btw I've become more in touch with my emotions (I think) so I'm probably crying or tearing up when writing this xD <3 I love you all

@bluewaterlily- I cannot begin to thank you enough for being here for me when I'm happy and when I'm sad. You have such an amazing shoulder to cry on and you always know what to say. You don't give me a bunch of advice or try to relate to everything I say, you just listen and I really need someone like you in my life <3 AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON HOW AMAZING YOU ARE AS A WRITER LIKE JESUS GURL THAT IMAGERY THO and I love how we both love Taylor Swift even though I don't listen to her much since she isn't on Spotify...*sigh* Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for being you! <3 Just like your professor said you are a gift <3

@passenger- First of all, *HUUGGSSSS* aaahhhh you're so sweet and caring. You're such a good writer but even more than that, you are an amazing friend. You so understanding and I love talking to you about anything. Overall there are not enough words to describe your amazing qualities and I love you for every single one of them <3

@Sevro- <3 You're so cool and I wish we knew each other IRL because I seriously think we would be best friends xD. You're so strong and just the way you say things xD girl don't even get me started haha. You're so funny. You're SO funny. I absolutely love people who make me laugh and that's totally you. Also, we get each other <3 Even the stars think we are meant for each other. Taurus and Scorpio for the win! I can never talk to you enough and I miss you <3 hit me up on chat sometime. I need you to understand that I'm always here for you <3

@Craz- We're new friends but I knew since the moment I read your sign up thing for Secret Santa that we would be really good friends. We have so much in common and I always love talking to you. You’re energy and overall personality boosts my mood and makes me laugh <3

@spectator- We are new friends but I’ve really enjoyed our friendship so far. You’re really fun and it means a lot that you decided to create a club with me after I was disappointed and sad about something. The club is so great and it makes me really happy to ask people dumb questions that don’t have incorrect answers xD <3

@Persistence- I’m not going to ignore majority of this year that we were great friends and not write something. I don’t want to bury my memories down inside of me and pretend I never cherished our friendship. Our friendship was special and I’ll never ever forget it. I hope you are doing well and I have high hopes for your writings. I want to see your books in a bookstore and buy them one day. I hope you take advantage of all your talents and become who you are meant to be. Part of me is selfish and hopes I helped you in a way during our time together. You’re a great person whom I respect. I hope you have a fulfilling 2017 that’s filled with joy, amazing friendships, and passions that keep you waking up each morning <3

@Apricity- Thank you for the amazing advice and for listening to me ramble about my problems. You’ve always been someone I looked up to in an artistic way, so I was so happy to find out you were also an amazing person. I hope we become good friends in the New Year! <3

@Holysocks- We don’t talk very much but I still was to mention you because our little sulk party we had when I was really down for a few days really helped me. You’re a lovely person and I hope I can be here for you in the future, as you were for me. Message me anytime because I’d love to chat about anything with you xD <3

@Audy- I FRICKEN LOVE YOU OKAY YOU’RE SO COOL AUDY YOU’RE SO GREAT AHHH keep being amazing in the New Year! We should talk more and just overall you’re so sweet like omg you’re great. We barely talk but the few times we did left an amazing impression on my mind. <3

@Love- I love talking to you and we should talk more. Chatting to you about my novel is one of my favorite memories related to YWS. So thank you for that <3

I love you all so much and writing this made me emotional <3 I want to hug all of you. The things some of you guys wrote about me or told me in the past keep me going and remind me that I do have people who care. Thank you.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!
Last edited by Charm on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:52 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Hah! Third page is cool with me!
Will Solace IRL

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:14 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

I CLAIM THIS SPOT FOR MYSELF

I would've taken a spot on the first page because I saw this early on but I was lazy and pokemon was distracting me. :P

2016: In Marquee (And Also Bold)

Somewhere along the way, I've come to realize that yes, 2016 is just about over. The ending quietly sneaked up on me, and only when I watched 2017 consume a good half of the world did I have to remind myself that it's 5:00 P.M. on December 31st, 2016 (5:01, but I believe in the power of rounding). Needless to say, it has been a weird year. I won a state writing contest, met a notable author, turned 15, expanded my presence on this site, and then completed my sophomore year of high school. The second half of the year was spent learning how to drive a car, learning how not to a drive a car (thankfully, it was not a bus), complaining of back pain, beginning my junior year of high school, and continuing to write extensively. I've made a lot of new friends this year, underwent the deaths of many famous celebrities, and ranted and raved in the midst of 2016 election proceedings.

How do I feel about it? I can argue all I want that 2016 was a crappy year in the world, and I have a massive amount of justification for that. Personally, I found 2016 rather flattering with regards to my life. I've gained some recognition for my ability to craft stories, have participated in wonderful Storybooks on YWS, modernized and post-modernized my poetry, and have been growing through puberty relatively stably (as much as the spots on my face would tell you otherwise). My family is still happy, still doing well, and still complacent, although my relations with my extended relatives remains as tense as ever. I don't know if that's going to change much, given all the old feuds and tensions that we have between each other. Still, 2016 has proved to be yet another year of development, gaining of knowledge, and improving of talents for me, and I have you guys, in part, to thank for that.

YWS still remains the place that I love to visit extensively, even if I spend my time lurking and avoiding contact with people because of my being introversive. You've helped me develop my poetry and stories with your carefully thought-out reviews and commentary, and challenging me to experiment with new methods of writing poetry and different subjects. The Storybook crew and my friends have pulled me into Storybook and CCC projects which, while intensive, have broadened my horizons when it comes to managing multiple characters and worlds, coming up with ideas, and cooperating with others. In the end, it's probably BS whenever I tell people that I've improved on the conciseness and effectiveness of my writing. Still, now I feel less like that my detailed stories are trying to justify themselves through a complex use of language, but by the ideas and creations that uphold them. That's definitely improved the quality of my personal projects and short stories, as you've persuaded me to broaden my horizons and experiment and discover.

I still don't know if I'm a good writer. I feel disorganized, sloppy, and uncoordinated at worst, and I have a lot of neglected poetry excerpts and story ideas that I've struggled to effectively put together. On the other hand, I know I'm a better writer than I was last year, and far better than the year before that. My writing feels more solid, strong, and complex. It has improved my performance in contests, helped me tie together Storybook posts and weave a powerful narrative with my own, and demonstrated my capacities as at least better than the average writer. Now that I've been on YWS for two years, I have to come more and more to terms with this fact, and the recognition that, had I not joined on that January night, I would not be where I am now. I would still have my delusions of grandeur, and probably stagnate under pages and pages of purple prose and bland ideas. Perhaps I would've given up writing altogether, as I would be crushed by the weight of my own stories, and without anyone to criticize me, hit me over the head, praise me, critique me, and make me reevaluate myself as a writer. Thankfully, because of you, I did not go down that disastrous route.

That's something that I have to credit you all for. So, I may as well. As with last year, I'd like to credit the crew behind the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Storybook (@Robusto, @Buggiedude2340, @Poopsie, @StupidSoup, @Tortwag, @AstralHunter, @Charizard821) for their continued vigilance in our mutual project. I'm amazed that the first Storybook I ever join should still be alive now, and I must credit your creativity, energy, and devotion. You've given me complex plots to digest and appreciate, made me realize what kind of potential I could have as a writer, and showed me wonderful and disturbing worlds that have influenced what lengths I will go in my stories. I have no doubt that it has influenced the rest of my body of writing. Too, you've also been great friends to talk to, as you're insightful, funny, and fascinating. Our conversations, although infrequent, have proved to be well-worth my time. :D

I still find it odd that we never talked much at all before this year began, @Lumi. Over these past few months, our conversations have been enthusing and wonderful. You've probably managed to open me and my personality up more than most other people, which is rather impressive. It's been fun participating in/writing for your Storybooks, and listening to music, and having a good time in general. You've also been an active reviewer of my poetry, and I always appreciate your insights and advice. So, thanks!

...it'll probably take me too long to credit everyone, won't it? XD

Well, I'd still like to thank some people. My favorite poets (@Kaos (you've grown so much since we first talked, and I dare say that you're far more mature than me these days. XD), @Strange (you still manage to inspire me to write poetry with each of your own), @LadySpark, @Autumns, @Audy, @Aley, @passenger and you too, Lumi), and Storybook Crew (@Rydia, @Wolfical, Hunter, @TheSunderedSorcerer, @Auxiira, @Steggy, @Omnom (you've pulled me into so many SBs, but I've always enjoyed it), @Craz, and (again) Lumi). @Mage has been a wonderful friend, active writer, and an awesome member of the CCC, and it's been nice writing with her and developing our characters!

I'd also like to credit the totally awesome, sarcastic, and energetic reviewers/poets @Sacredlege and @ElizabethLovelace, as well as a few friends of mine: @Remembrance, @Kilgharrah, @Gringoamericano, @RavenLord, @cleverclogs. And then some people I like talking to and/or I think are fairly cool: @Lofi, @Vasticity, @Prokaryote, @CowLogic, @Snoink. At this point, I'd also like to say thanks to all of the moderators, for their activity, friendliness, ability to cooperate, and helping me become an effective mod (and I still remember our discussion on the objectivity of math in the universe, @Kyllorac).

Last, but not least, @Nate, for having created this wonderful site that I've been around in for so long. He's helped keep this site running for what is the good majority of my lifetime, and it's clear to see that he's made sure it remains a friendly, energetic, and active place. It's the kind of environment that I have appreciated, grew and thrived in, and I appreciate it every single day - it keeps me happy, active, and friendly, as well as improves my abilities as a writer. I have no regrets about having joined this website, have found this place to be full of benefits, and I hope to remain as a moderator here for quite some time longer! Thank you all! :D
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:29 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

*Claims space*
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

499 Reviews

Reviews: 499
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:54 pm
View Likes
Que says...

I had to wait until the new year was nice and settled to right this. Of course with finals looking next week, it's not exactly "settled" per se, but that's in the future. For once, I'm going to talk about the past. 2016, the past year.

This was a year of a lot of big things for me. Although I wasn't active on YWS a lot, I had quite a few writing accomplishments.
-I did NaPoWriMo in the spring, and whatever happened, I think I grew a lot, both myself and my poetry.
-I continued on in LMS until Christmas Day. :) Although my writing wasn't much good at the end, I learned a ton of patience and perseverance and will be ready to fix it when I return to edit it.
-Finally, I completed a second successful year of NaNoWriMo, in spite of the still continuing LMS. I've gained a lot of writing confidence and ideas.

In the real world, there were a lot of fun things and firsts as well, some of which included:
-Getting a license
-Getting a bank account and a passport and the likes
-Going on dates and getting to know some people!
-Hosting a French exchange student
-Learning a lot about myself and becoming more self confident
-Taking the PSAT!
-Seeing Lindsey Stirling in concert

Anyway, it was a crazy ride, and this year's revving up to be another one. I can't wait. :) I'm going to shout out to a few people- if I don't mention you, I probably forgot and you should go pester me on my wall. :)

@fortis ~ Back at you. I miss you lots, and it was great to see you. You're an amazing writer and I really look up to you! I miss our DPS meetings too- a whole third of our members is a published author! You're going to be next. Keep letting me know how life goes. :) Also, I always like seeing your photography and other drawings. ^_^

@Hattable ~ You're a fantastic friend. :) I enjoy all our conversations, and love your writing. It's been really fun knowing you, and all your characters as well. Your art is amazing! Especially for MS paint. c:

@SnazzyPencil ~ Thanks for following Taste of Life as long as I published it. I really appreciate it, and one day I will go back and use all the suggestions to edit it. And one day, I will publish the others. You've been a fun person to know! And thanks for the Secret Santa. ;)

@Mea ~ I wish we could talk more! You seem really nice and cool but we haven't had too many chances to chat. My PM box is always open!

@Tortwag and @Buggiedude2340 ~ Oh. My. Gosh. You guys. You were amazing. You did so well in LMS I've just got to congratulate you both! Thanks for competing. It was really good fun, and you guys have got mad writing skills!

@Remembrance ~ You're a really nice person and I always enjoy hearing from you. :) I love how you're prongs and also you're the most fabulous Hufflepuff. <3 I respect you a lot!

@marmalade ~ I really like reading your wall posts, whatever they may be. Most of them make me smile, and I'm always here for you if you need help dealing with drama or anything bad happening. :)

@Wolfical ~ I'd love to talk with you as well! :) You seem really awesome. My wall and PM box are always open.
Last edited by Que on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Parlez-vous français?

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Well, hello there spot.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:13 pm
View Likes
ChimeraMania says...

Oh, this spot is mine??

Why thank you, that's so kind of you.

*brings everything I own and claims spot*
SHUGGS = SWEET + HUGS (It makes since in my universe.)

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:37 pm
View Likes
Vellichor says...

There are many like it, but this spot is mine.
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:41 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

*Watches everyone claim their spots* *Comes over and puts down Red-tailed Hawk* *Steps back and looks it over*

There. Spot claimed. And its looks have been improved greatly by the hawk, I must say.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:42 pm
View Likes
deleted5 says...

TAKEN.
I was late .-.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:52 pm
View Likes
rainforest says...

Taken
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:15 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

2016. Last night, I was thinking about how many famous people have died this year. Among them David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Harper Lee, Glenn Frey, Tony Burton, Nancy Reagan, Merle Haggard, Doris Roberts, Prince, Muhammad Ali, Christina Grimmie, Matt Roberts, Gene Wilder, Leonard Cohen, Florence Henderson, Craig Sager, George Michael, Carrie Fisher, and Debbie Reynolds. The numbers are amazing, as are the lives led by the people who have passed. They were artists; teachers who have led by example, and who've influenced not only our perceptions of the world, but our ability to affect it with our own streak of creativity. This is a legacy that we are able to carry and adapt on YWS, and because of this--the fact that these renowned icons can live on through us--I think this site is really important.

YWS has given many freedoms to its users; freedoms that allow us to express ourselves and to interact with other members of the online community. Furthermore, it lets us explore personal improvement. It offers an environment where we can come together. To write together, to laugh together, and to grieve together.

Some people don't see YWS as a "refuge", expressing animosity towards politics and debate that spirals out of control; people who are unfriendly, and personal attacks.

I want to say to those people that no social environment is going to be perfect. It's about smoothing out the imperfections. We're all here for the same reason, but there will always be people who don't act kindly towards you. They may not understand you. But you're here to understand them, and if you don't try, then you're only failing yourself.

Remember what's going on in the world, and remember that you have people looking out for you. Remember that we have all felt hurt, and that we have all felt happiness, and that it is how we use that emotion to fortify others that gives value to our experiences. Remember the heroes who have died, but also remember that they have lived to better you. Resolve to better someone.

You all better me.

Thank you.

Spoiler! :
A few shoutouts to people that I've talked to this year-

@Sevro- well, obviously.

@Persistence- you've had to overcome a lot of turmoil in the past year. I know that. I'm proud of you for many reasons. mostly for adapting and for being loyal, and for being stronger than the people who've left you. thank you for being an example of mental force, thank you for trying, thank you for staying.

(I ship you and sodapop curtis for 2017.)

@Hattable- I miss talking to you, dude. you make me smile. you're a great guy, and you're the reason I've tried a lot of new things. I hope I can get to know you better. like maybe when we're both online at the same time, which never seems to happen. ;b

@Love- where's my money from the bank robbery? (you're awesome. I feel like we're gonna be really good friends.)

@Ciblio- reading your Indigena posts is literally the highlight of my life. Chris and Tex are perfect for each other. too bad he's probably gonna die ;) you're a pleasure to work with.

@marmalade- you're amazing. you might be an emotional mess, but I always enjoy talking to you. your energy makes me laugh, and I know that I can always trust in you to understand where I'm coming from. you've improved so much this year, in both your writing and your ability to hurdle the obstacle of anxiety. I know you know that. but I also want you to know how proud I am of you. keep punching adversity in the face and stepping up to the plate, and the sky's the limit for you, girl. keep trying new things. you have a fire like I've never seen.

@Lofi I can't say enough about how much I've grown to love you, despite everything, because of everything, and without condition. you used to say that I was the girl-version of you, which I'm pretty sure we've deemed untrue. mostly because you're the smartest guy I've ever talked with, and because your cops take bribes, and because I can only make dad-jokes, and because my idea of trouble is unscrewing the window and daring my friend to run out on the roof. and because I'm prettier. jk. you're pretty too.

anyway, I bet you twenty bucks you're gonna be famous in 2017. and we'll both have cancer, because you secretly have an addiction to nickolas sparks books. if anyone asks, I'm blaming it on you.

I'd say that maybe I'll read the books on my list, but I'm pretty sure I'll be saying that every year until I'm out of college. ;)

anyway, this is the dissertation. I'll stop bothering you so much when you shave and post that haircut pic.
Last edited by passenger on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers