Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Lyrical

didn't you know i'd miss you

by soundofmind

A/N: If you can, please listen to the song alongside as you read. It is recorded, played, and sung by me. Link is the first line.

When you left early in the morning
Did you think that you’d return
How many times did you look back and wonder
Will these bridges burn

Did you look back and think
We’d just forget you, buried in your dust
As you charged ahead in fearful fleeing
You left the digging out to us

Did you think
Of me
When you crossed
That sea
When you said goodbye
Without saying why
Was it worth the cost
All the love you lost
Didn’t you know
That I’d miss you
Didn’t you know
That I’d burn
Too

When you left early in the morning
Did you think that I’d forget
Your promise to come back soon has left us with
A hope-deferred duet

Did you look back and think that we’d wait here just in case
You did return
Because you’d be right and I’ve been waiting here
And waiting here
And waiting here
And waiting here
And waiting

Did you think
Of me
When you crossed
That sea
When you said goodbye
Without saying why
Was it worth the loss
All the pain it caused
And didn’t you know
That I’d go with you
If only you’d stopped
And asked
Me to
Didn’t you know
That I’d go with you
If only you’d stopped
And asked
Me to

Did you look back and think
We’d just forget you, buried in the dust
Oh, brother, we can’t forget you
Won’t forget you
Don’t dare forget us

Did you think
Of me
When you crossed
That sea
When you said goodbye
Without saying why
Was it worth the loss
All the pain it caused
And didn't you know
That I'd miss you
And didn’t you know
That I’d go
With you
And didn’t you know
That I wanted to
If you would've stopped
And asked me to
If you would've stopped
and asked me to

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:36 am
ReeN_beNa wrote a review...

Wow you song is nice, from your melody, to the voice, the guitar and most of all the lyrics.
Even though the lyrics are sad, it is a very beautiful song.
You have created an amazing piece of art, I hope you know that and I hope you don't plan on stopping writing such amazing lyrics because hey, your voice got me hooked and there's no way i'm going to stop listening to it.

I like the sad tone of the lyrics, i only could relate it to loosing a beloved one to death and it's like you are telling this deceased one not to even dare try to think of forgetting you because you have no plans of forgetting this lost loved one. I mean, the title of the song itself, " Didn't you know I'd miss you" is perfect. I don't know why, but i love to consider it as a rhetorical question, and it has this demanding tone (to me) that can be found when someone is like really hurt and needs an answer just to understand the cause of the hurt; you know what i mean.

"And didn't you know
That I'd miss you
And didn’t you know
That I’d go
With you
And didn’t you know
That I wanted to
If you would've stopped
And asked me to"

massive applause to this part of the lyrics, it's the part which really hits me hard you know. All in all, the lyrics is very good and the song itself is that type of lit sad song I would defo listen to, when i need to cry my heart out like crazy.

Nice job. Keep it up, cuz it's amazing

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much reen! I%u2019m so glad you liked the song and were able to relate to it in your own unique way. :)

ReeN_beNa says...

hahaaa, you're welcome sound

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Raelyn wrote a review...

Very nice job. Your melody is soft, gentle, yet sad. It has a very unique feel to it. Lyric wise it was very rich and full of meaning. It flowed in different and unique way as well. The thing that really makes your song stand out is not only alluring sound, but the mixture of guitar and your voice which creates a very nice harmony. It is very soft and pleasant to listen to. You obviously have a lot of talent. Also I applaud your originality. A lot of times songs all sound the same, yours is not quite like anything I have ever heard. I would say I am definitely excited to hear more of your work. Was that you playing the guitar? If so you are very good at playing and harmonizing it with your voice.

Suggestions you might consider: When you transition to the chorus, I might make your guitar and tone a little more different. It is very similar to the verse. That being said if that is the whole point, you did that very well. Personally I like to make a different tune for the chorus, then at the end have them slowly blend together. Please take my advice lightly and with the best intentions. Also the only other thing I wanted to suggest is your music is so rich I wonder what would happen if you layered another instrument it might add to the piece.

Again I would like to reiterate that your style if very unique and nice. I would love to learn more about your process on how you write lyrics and make beats. I will definitely look forward to telling my friends and family about this song. Also the I realized what might draw me most to your song is that it really tells a story. What beautiful about that story is all your listeners can interrupt in another way, but it really leaves me wondering what this story means to you.

Phew! That was very long! One of my longest reviews yet. Hope this is helpful!

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much for taking the time to review! I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad you liked the song!

Also yes, that was me playing and singing and everything!

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:46 am
EmileeBrightman wrote a review...

Hello! I'm here to do a quick, sweet review for this. I'd like to start off with the song, which was amazingly done!!! I love your voice, and I definitely want to hear more of your singing. The way you sang the song worked out perfectly with the lyrics, especially with the tone of voice.

I'd also like to say that the lyrics are beautiful, and I wish I could write such amazing song lyrics as these, and yes, I've tried lol I can tell that you put a lot of emotion and time into this piece, and I felt like I could feel the same emotions you were feeling.

To end, I'd just like to say to keep up the amazing work. When I listened and read this, I could tell that you can go far, just don't give up on your dreams! I hope to read and listen to more of your works. Honestly, I don't have any negative things to write, because this piece is just perfectly done.

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much!

No problem!

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:11 am
Clairia says...

gorgeous <3

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much!

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:59 am
amelie says...

oh how I wanna hear u duet with laura marling... beautifully written, sung and performed.

soundofmind says...

aaaa thank u so much amelie

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:17 am
Lael says...

How lovely <3

soundofmind says...

Thank u Lael :,)

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:32 pm
Liebensteiner says...

Ahhh, how is your singing so beautiful???

I LOVE IT! I have nothing to review, because I honestly see nothing to review

Keep making more! <3

soundofmind says...

Aaaaa thank you so much Liberty! So glad you enjoyed it :)

Of course! <3

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan