18+

Bitter Oracle - Chapter 10 - Slow Evening

by papillote

Mike Murphy wants Bitter, an Oracle, to help him find his brother. She is reluctant to. To know more, read Chapter 9.

Sam, the manager sent me on break before Colleen. I wasn’t in the mood to eat with the others in the breakroom, so I appropriated a corner table in the lobby. Mike Murphy’s constant badgering had made me lose my appetite. I demolished my burrito trying to get as much as I could past the lump in my throat, washing it down with orange juice, then I nibbled on my fries.

Paper crinkled in the pocket of my sweater. I took out the letter I had found on my doorstep earlier that evening. I opened it.

I’m not very good with words, was written in a choppy handwriting, but I love my brother Kyle. He is awesome. Our dad left when I was a baby, and our mother used to work a lot. Kyle always took care of me. He never gave me a hard time over that. I remember him giving me baths when I was very little and reading me stories. He tried to teach me to play hockey, but I wasn’t any good. He took me to my first Star Wars movie.

He’s my best friend. The saddest I’ve ever been was when Kyle moved to New York. I missed him all the time, even though he called me every day. Then, Mom overdosed on her sleeping pills and Kyle came back. He’s been there ever since. He has Sunday lunch with us every week. He helps Mom with her groceries. He takes care of us.

It's the first time even I’ve gone more than a week without hearing from him. Nobody knows where he is. He hasn’t been to work. His apartment is empty. I’m trying to reassure Mom, but I’m really worried. I know something happened to Kyle. The police say they can’t do anything. He’s an adult, he can just up and leave town if he wants.

Please, I need to know what happened to my brother.

Mike.

I rubbed my earlobe between two fingers. I wasn’t an especially good person, but I wasn’t insensitive to the heartfelt plea. I wondered how different my life would have been if my brother Danny had felt a tenth of Mike’s affection and hero-worship. I did do my best for him, but he wouldn’t accept anything from me.

He couldn’t seem to forgive me for my first Vision – my Vision of Danny and of our grandfather, and of the things Grandpa did to my brother in the boatshed under our grandparents’ seaside villa.

The Second Sight was truth, unveiled, undeniable, unforgettable and unambiguous. I knew. And I was a kid. Kid can’t keep secrets – I couldn’t, anyway. I told my parents. My father was furious, my mother was horrified. She wanted to call the cops. He ordered her not to: it was a lie, it had to be a lie. Please, no, it was his father! She called them anyway. He never forgave her – or Danny and me for that matter.

Saying that my parents’ marriage fell apart would be an understatement. It was violently torn apart, with anger and suspicions on both sides.

Custody of us fell to Mom. She never outright blamed us for anything, but we were constant reminders of the Thing. That’s how we called it, when it had to be mentioned. The Thing, capital “T”. Every time Mom looked at us, she felt it all anew – the shock, the horror, the anger, the guilt, the sense of failure, the shame and the disgust. Naturally, she maintained a distance. After she remarried, I suppose it was instinct to keep us away from her newly-refound happiness.

We sort of faded into the background like the second-class family members we were. Our step-siblings remained virtual strangers. Lucky bastards: Danny was a mess and I was a freak.

To Mom’s credits, she did her nominal best by us. We had a nice house in the Hills, roomy bedrooms, all the clothes, books and pocket-money we needed. And then, there was the private school, the riding lessons.

We were miserable, but not miserable together, of course. We never grew close. Danny always resented the hell out of me. I’m not sure why. Because I had witnessed the way Grandpa had played tiddlywinks with him? Because he was a screwup? Danny applied himself to failing in school, was asocial, a shut-in and started using drugs in middle-school.

Little Miss OCD,” he used to call me. “Betty Better.

At some later point, Better became Bitter. I’m not sure when. Not in a high-school. High-school was pretty good for me. I resented Danny for trapping me in this Betty Better persona, but there are worse curses than having an impeccable record. I never flunked a test, I never passed out in public, I never woke up in a stranger’s bed bleeding from all the wrong places. I wasn’t a wild child.

If anything, I was too neat. My OCD tendencies were kicking in. It was my way of letting out some of the pressure. I was suppressing my Second Sight as hard as I could. I felt that I had to, since everybody had apparently forgotten about my Scrying. There is no such thing as a one-off in the Oracle business, sadly. But with the shitstorm of Grandpa’s arrest and trial, my first Trance wasn’t a priority. Then, it became part of the Thing – to be forgotten.

I suppose it was good training. After that first time when I was eleven, I had over a year’s respite before the next crisis. But it did come, and the one after that one. Closer and closer together, until I was eighteen, graduating from high-school and up to one Trance a week. Only obsession and sheer despair allowed me to keep up a front.

Despite resenting Danny and being tired of his shenanigans, I tried to be a good big sister. It only added to the enormous amount of pressure I was under. I could never predict what he would do next. He was a ball of anger, of hate, but, after he first turned to drugs, he became awfully manipulative. If I had let him ride roughshod over both our lives, he would have ruined me.

I think I will always feel that, setting limits, I pushed him away. He checked out on me and disappeared. Nobody else cared, but I did. It hurt so damn much. I was just a kid, I didn’t know how to look for him.

I was so stupid.

I actually tried to Scry.

Didn’t work. Of course. Couldn’t work.

Oracles can’t peek into their own future, can’t Scry about something too personal. If we do, we get what we call a DPP – “Divine Punishment for Peeking”. It’s a sham, unreliable Vision. The more we try, the further away from reality our Visions veer.

I tried to use the Second Sight to find Danny. I soon realized that it was leading me astray. And yet, sometimes, in those first few years, months, I still Scryed for my brother. I knew it wasn’t a true Vision, but it was Seeing him – or a version of him.

Sometimes, Danny was prostituting himself for drugs. Sometimes, he was playing the guitar in clubs with a band of lost souls. Sometimes, he was falling in love. Sometimes, he was dead in a gutter.

I had to stop in the end, to accept that I wouldn’t ever know. But it gnawed at me.

Now that Bitter has reached a decision, see what she is up to in Chapter 11.

Hi papillote,

This was a very, very strong chapter. I liked how you put in the connections and flashbacks that were created by the letter and how it made Bitter's decision.

The look into the old photo album where the memories were stored up, you portrayed it like a spiral that started with a dot and burned itself deeper and deeper into the family's lives. I liked how one was connected to the other, and how you could tell from the lyrics that Bitter blames himself. You used some really great vocabulary to portray their lives and I especially liked how everything felt so real and dramatic without going too much into the cheesy.

It was a little confusing at the beginning, but could also relate to how Bitter's thoughts changed from one moment to the next, like a breach in a dam. I also found this chapter so fascinating because you wrote it without any deep feelings or sensations from the mind, but always the reaction to the action, or the result of how something led to it.

This letter from Mike is so wonderfully written. It has this childlike, naive and primitive vein where I wonder if Mike ever achieved anything in his life without someone being there. (Probably the letter.) I think he has a form of infantilism and relies too much on others, in this case his brother. Also a way of getting through life....

On the one hand I welcome Bitter's decision and how it could be read indirectly between the lines, and yet I wonder if she is not harming herself too much by helping him and that old wounds are opening up even more.

Other points that caught my eye:

I took out the letter I had found on my doorstep earlier that evening.

I don't think this was mentioned in any of the last chapters, and wonder why such information wasn't briefly mentioned before. Bitter took the back way out to get to Graves and then in the next chapter she was at her work. I think you could have added that little gap somewhere.

The Second Sight was truth, unveiled, undeniable, unforgettable and unambiguous.

That truth at the beginning kind of ruins your repetition here. But I like the sentence. Is that alliteration or more of a homoioarction? Maybe you could change truth to unfalse here?

Kid can't keep secrets - I couldn't, anyway.

Here the s is missing from Kid.

He ordered her not to: it was a lie, it had to be a lie. Please, no, it was his father! She called them anyway. He never forgave her - or Danny and me for that matter.

That's quite intense and yet you've portrayed it well. I also like the moment you manage to make the transition from the letter to here.

I think my highlight in this chapter was not just Bitter's backstory or how her nickname Bitter came about, but this letter from Mike. I thought it was really beautifully written. It has worry in it and you can tell he's desperate.

Mailice.

Bloodlord wrote a review...

Hi, Bloodlord here for a review!

I apologize - I haven't actually read all of the chapters before this, so I will treat this chapter like its own piece and not talk about how it fits with the rest of the story.

I really enjoyed reading this. This is a very well-constructed chapter, and I like how you weave the past into the context of the present. I just have a few comments that may help if you wanted them.

"Sam, the manager sent me on break before Colleen."

After 'manager' should be another comma. Here, it seems like you are addressing a person named Sam, but really you are trying to say that Sam is the manager.

"He couldn’t seem to forgive me for my first Vision – my Vision of Danny and of our grandfather, and of the things Grandpa did to my brother in the boatshed under our grandparents’ seaside villa."

This sentence is a little wordy. Perhaps something like "He couldn’t seem to forgive me for my first Vision – my Vision of the things Grandpa did to Danny in the boatshed under our grandparents’ seaside villa." would be better?

"The Second Sight was truth, unveiled, undeniable, unforgettable and unambiguous. I knew. And I was a kid. Kid can’t keep secrets – I couldn’t, anyway. I told my parents. My father was furious, my mother was horrified. She wanted to call the cops. He ordered her not to: it was a lie, it had to be a lie. Please, no, it was his father! She called them anyway. He never forgave her – or Danny and me for that matter."

It was a little confusing here what you were referring to - were you talking about the vision mentioned in the previous sentence?

"I never flunked a test, I never passed out in public, I never woke up in a stranger’s bed bleeding from all the wrong places. "

I think that replacing the commas with periods would make this stronger. Also, "woke up in a stranger's bed bleeding from all the wrong places" is a little ambiguous. What are you referring to exactly?

"I had to stop in the end, to accept that I wouldn't ever know."

The 'wouldn't ever' was a little awkward. Maybe, "I had to stop in the end and accept I'd never know."?

Thanks for sharing - this was a very interesting read!

papillote says...

Thank you for the review. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story too.

Mea wrote a review...

Hey there papillote! I thought I'd drop by for a quick review on this lovely Review Day. :)

I wanted to say - thanks for the bit of summary at the top of the chapter. Since I haven't read previous parts, it really helped me.

I liked this part a lot. I liked that it was a window into Bitter as a character and that it was brought on very naturally by the letter requesting her help. The ramifications of what happened because of her second sight are horrifying.

However, I did feel it could be trimmed in places - there are times that just feel like you're spending too long talking about things in the abstract, such as when you describe how their Mom only nominally took care of them, and then later talking about how she had OCD tend in high school. It just felt too abstract and like too much telling. In contrast, the "Betty Better" line from Danny works really well - it sums up their rocky relationship almost without needing the whole backstory.

He helps Mom with her groceries. He takes care of us.

It's the first time even I’ve gone more than a week without hearing from him.

I felt like this transition was odd, because he hadn't actually mentioned that his brother was missing yet - he just jumped straight to saying that it's the first time they've been out of contact for that long. I'd move that second sentence to after "He hasn't been to work [add 'in the last week' or something]. His apartment is empty." Just so it flows better.

I did also feel that maybe you could have been a little bit clearer about what these crises were that caused her to have a Trance. Does she always see bad things? Did she try to act on them again?

And I think that's all I've got for you this time! I did really enjoy this, and I might go review the next chapter since it's still stuck in the green room too. Keep writing!

papillote says...

Thanks for the review. Yep, I see what you mean by it sounding odd. In the circumstances, it's not actually that jarring because Mike has been begging her to help him find his brother so Bitter already knows that's where the letter is heading but I see what you mean. Thanks again, hope you enjoy.

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey, sorry this ended up taking so long. Ended up being a bunch of different chapters I'd been waiting for got dropped into the Green Room all at once. Anyways, I am here now!

Nit-picks:

Not sure what that "even" is doing there.

Danny applied himself to failing in school, was asocial, a shut-in and started using drugs in middle-school.

Pretty sure it's "antisocial".

I never flunked a test, I never passed out in public, I never woke up in a stranger’s bed bleeding from all the wrong places.

Is passing out and bleeding a reference to some kinds of destructive behaviour that should be easily recognisable?

This chapter was a good explanation of Bitter's backstory, but it was kind of weirdly arranged. I get that it's feeling sad about her brother that's making her sympathetic to Mike, and that's what the bit in italics at the end are implying about making a decision. But the way that the backstory was gotten into was very very sudden. I think you could have got smoother into it with a little warning. Something about how this made Bitter's feelings about her brother surface, and then at the end something about how if this guy had a brother he loved, she should do anything to help him.

Oh also, you seem to have given Bitter two different backstories? Was there not something about a high school party where everyone was egging each other on to try Scrying? In like chapter three or something, I think.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

papillote says...

I see. I'll have to think again about how I bring up her backstory because it's clearly not clear :p
The way I saw it, she had her first Trance during a party, ended up having a vision of her grandfather and her brother, wound up in the hospital in shock, told her parents and everything went to hell.
I'm going to stop publishing for a while and re-write those first chapters. Too many small issues...

ExOmelas says...

Ohhhhh this was all at once, I see! I think it might have been "kid" that threw me off. I was picturing like a ten-year-old or something. Maybe if you just mention something like "couldn't seem to forgive my first Vision at that party" and it would tie in nice and smooth. Just to be clear though, I don't think it's a plot issue, or even necessarily a structural one, just a slight stylistic thing.

papillote says...

It really helps to have someone read me. I'm seeing a lot of things I didn't before. I still think I need to take a little time and work on the structure again, but I feel better about it all. The chapters don't always connect well, Part 2 is better but Part 1 feels very 'jerky', 'erratic'.

ExOmelas says...

Well, I'm glad you value my feedback ^.^ I'll be along again tomorrow for the most recent chapter :)

papillote says...

Thanks. Until tomorrow, then.

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content