z

Young Writers Society


18+

Bitter Oracle - Chapter 1 - Nobel Shindig

by papillote


Warning: This work has been rated 18+.

Welcome to the prologue.

When it rains, it pours,” was my mother’s favorite expression. I couldn’t understand it as a kid. Sure, sometimes, it feels like that. You are down and, whenever you are about to get back on your feet, something else throws you down on your ass. But why would anyone sane wallow in the incidence of cosmical bad luck?

I understand it now. It isn’t so much the fact tha, when it rains, it pours, it is the implied promise: it won’t pour when the sun shines. But life isn’t like the weather. Some days, the sky is blue as a velvet ribbon and then, all of a sudden, a tornado blows your house away (and no other).

The worst day of Stephen Carlin’s life was also the greatest.

Professor Carlin had graduated summa cum laude from Oxford. He was considered one of the brightest minds of his time and certainly an authority in the field of neurology. His specialty was neurophysiology. He had singlehandedly revolutionized the domain.

He had known he was on the short list for the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but he hadn’t really believed the Swedish would choose him. His contribution to Human Knowledge was easily as obscure as it was essential. Whenever people came up to him to ask about his research, he smiled demurely and replied, “Just looking for the human soul.”

He chuckled whenever anyone broached the subject of the Nobel Prize – both out of embarrassment and to make light of the possibility. “They would never choose me, I’m too much like the archetypical scientist. They’re probably looking for the Bob Dylan of Science.”

The news didn’t stun him, but he did sit down, alone in his locked office for a few minutes. Nobel Prize, uh? He wasn’t that surprised to find himself the recipient of the Prize. He just hadn’t expected it yet. He was barely fifty.

He wasn’t a foot soldier of Science anymore: he was a popular lecturer in one of the country’s foremost universities, was an acclaimed speaker in two others and had published two best-selling popularizing books. Still, he hadn’t left the trenches yet. It was his duty to shape the minds of a new generation of scientists and it didn’t stop him from seeing patients – be it his own or the odd case his colleagues referred to him. He had many more contributions yet to make.

When he finally unlocked his door, the Dean smiled apologetically and confessed that he had invited a couple of employees and benefactors, “just in case.” Carlin had been expecting something like that. His speech was ready, so he wasn’t too flustered to find himself shoved into the spotlight.

It was more than “a couple of colleagues and benefactors of the department,” however. Flutes of Champagne and canapes were passed around, attendants were in evening attire. As the guest of honor, he felt very underdressed in his corduroy jacket, black jeans and white shirt.

His face was very warm after the first couples of speeches lauding his accomplishments. “I’ve known Stephen Carlin for over thirty years. I met him during a Frat party in college. I seem to remember a couple of Budweiser and a girl named Franny.” The speaker winked. “She really, really liked the Professor here.” Laughter erupted in the room and the Professor ducked his head, blushing. “Now, now, no need to be embarrassed, Stephen. Franny got nowhere. You spent half the night drunkenly rambling about the pine gland.”

“The pineal gland,” Carlin couldn’t help mumbling under his breath.

“When morning came, I knew I probably wouldn’t ever meet a smarter man, and Stephen knew I was going to make shitloads of money.” Pause. Laughter. “So, naturally, we kept in touch.” More laughter. “He’s my son’s godfather, and I was best man at his wedding – sorry, Stephen, can’t sweep all of your failures under the rug.”

The Professor himself chuckled and shrugged. His divorce was long past, and his marriage longer still.

“I’ve had the privilege of calling him my friend for years, and here is what you most need to know about Stephen Carlin: he’s the rarest kind of man. He’s got the smarts, the strength of will and the vision to change the world for the better. It is an honor to introduce Dr. Stephen Carlin, now recipient of the Nobel Prize in Medicine.”

Peter Griffith, CEO and founder of the Griffin Group, stepped down from the platform and slapped the Professor on the shoulder.

“Franny?” Carlin whispered just loud enough that his friend could hear him over the applause.

“Privilege of having a best friend…”

The Professor made a face but knew it was only good-natured hassling. His phone buzzed in his pocket as he was climbing onto the platform. Drip. He was a doctor at heart and he never turned it off for fear of a patient needing him urgently. He checked it out but didn’t pick up the call.

Drip.

It was his daughter, Berenice. Berenice rarely called. She blamed him for his failed marriage and, maybe more than that, for not having fought his ex-wife for custody. She had gone so far as to renounce his name. But, even if she hadn’t so completely taken her mother’s side, they wouldn’t have had much in common. She studied business, or foreign languages, or something equally boring.

She had no doubt heard. He would call her back later. He had a roomful of people to address.

“Dear friends, dear colleagues,” he said into the mic, “please, calm down.”

His speech was perfect. It was moving, it was funny, he thanked everyone even remotely due his gratitude. And all through it…Buzz, buzz. Drip, drip. His phone kept buzzing in his pocket. Drip, drip, drip. He had to go through his first round of handshakes and well-wishers before he could isolate himself in the bathroom and finally pick up the call, “Berry-Berry, you heard? It’s very sweet of you to call, but I’m kind of the middle of…”

Berenice cut him off, “Daddy.”

It wasn’t just the word, though it was childlike and something his daughter hadn’t called him in years. It was her tone that chilled him to the bone. It wasn’t tearful or anything. It was blank with shock.

“Yes, Berry?”

“Oh, Daddy, I fell into a Trance.”

Meet our main protagonist in Chapter 2.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:25 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi papillote,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

Looking for a new story to review, I ended up here. I really liked the chapter. You had this weird way of getting the reader hooked right away with this first chapter and also wanting to get them to the next chapter right away with the cliffhanger.

I found it a very pleasant pleasure to read the story. You have a very smooth pace and I also find something about your style stubborn and great. I just don't know what I like about it yet. In general, I think you created an excellent atmosphere with the party. I liked reading through it and how Stephen was always thinking ahead of what was being said. I also liked the way you presented him and that as a reader you already have a very good insight into his character and his life.

I like the theme of the story so far and I'm very convinced that it doesn't go into an extravagant and complicated fantasy plot, but that the drama lies in the cruelty of reality. I like the approach you're taking to present the chapter. I really enjoyed reading it. :D

Other points that caught my eye while reading:

It isn't so much the fact tha,

A "t" flew off here.

Some days, the sky is blue as a velvet ribbon and then, all of a sudden, a tornado blows your house away (and no others).

I like not only your description here, but also the added comment in brackets.

They're probably looking for the Bob Dylan of Science."

I like that reference. :D I think there were some very surprised when that happened.

As the guest of honour, he felt very underdressed in his corduroy jacket, black jeans and white shirt.

I think that's my least favourite part. You're portraying him really well so far, but your description of his clothes is so simplistic and boring, where I think you could at least put some more imagination in there. Is he wearing a strap? What shoes is he wearing? Is he wearing a wristwatch, maybe a stain somewhere, etc...?

Peter Griffith, CEO and founder of the Griffin Group

I don't know if this is a typo or not, so I'm just noting here that Griffith and Griffin are similar in name, but not the same.

Have fun writing!

Mailice




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:09 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hey, I'm doing Team Tortoise this month which is where you try to do a review a day for a month, so you'll probably see me for the next couple of days.

Nit-picks and nice moments:

The worst day of Stephen Carlin’s life was also the greatest.

Woah woah woah, slow down. I know from having read later chapters that this is in first person later on, but currently this is just a very sudden switch that I'm sure would have confused me if it had been the first thing I read. Also, on the assumption that the first person paragraphs are from the view of Bit, how would she know any of this stuff?

“They would never choose me, I’m too much like the archetypical scientist. They’re probably looking for the Bob Dylan of Science.”

I love this little reference. The sentence isn't set up just for the reference itself so it slips in really smoothly and makes me feel like this is a real guy in the real world.

The news didn’t stun him, but he did sit down, alone in his locked office for a few minutes. Nobel Prize, uh? He wasn’t that surprised to find himself the recipient of the Prize.

That last sentence of this quote is basically a repeat of the first five words.

He had many more contributions yet to make.

I feel like I may be missing something here. Is he no longer going to be able to make his contributions now that he has this prize? That seems plausible given how it will change his life, but it's not entirely clear.

When he finally unlocked his door, the Dean smiled apologetically

I'm not sure if this actually looks like this, but I just get an image in my head of him unlocking the door, opening at, and the Dean standing right outside waiting for him. May or may not now be picturing the Dean as a clown with his head tilting to the side xD

What was all the dripping? Was that a really weird text alert?

Overall:

I want to say this thing that occurred to me towards the end before I either get distracted or you get distracted by the praise I'm about to shower on you. That was a sudden change in likeability of character at the end. It seemed like you were going for a quiet but very good man for most of the chapter. He's maybe not the most sociable and this can make him seem stand-offish and perhaps rude, but all of a sudden he was callous, didn't seem to care that he must have hurt his daughter and made her feel unwanted, didn't give us a better reason for not liking her than having a different area of study.

However, your pacing was excellent, your other characters also felt real, your setting was convincing, you left on a good cliffhanger, your plot was interesting enough to keep me engaged even though this isn't the main plot of the story. Very well done.

Oh. And this was a very good length. I am more than a little daunted about the length of the non-prologue chapters I'm going to be reviewing.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




papillote says...


Thanks for the review.
I must admit that I was having trouble writing the "Carlin" chapters with an omniscient narrator when the rest of the book will be first-person. So, I decided, f**k it, Bitter is omniscient, so she's still the narrator :p Not a mature approach, I know, I will have to make a decision in the final draft.
As for the Carlin character, I'm sorry if his character didn't feel consistent. He IS a basically good guy, but a little self-centered with a tendency to neglect his family in favor of his studies.



User avatar
198 Reviews


Points: 3
Reviews: 198

Donate
Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 am
View Likes
Dreamworx95 wrote a review...



Hi papillote, from the last chapter you posted, I got interested in reading the opening chapters of this story, so here I am. Just going to dive right in again.

"whenever you are about to get back to your feet"

- get back on your feet

"something else throws you back down on your ass."

- cut "back" here

"It isn’t so much the fact that, when it rains, it pours, it is the implied promise: it won’t pour when the sun shines."

Cut down the commas - "It isn't so much the fact that when it rains, it pours, it is the implied promise..."

"Some days, the sky is blue as a velvet ribbon and, all of a sudden, a tornado blows your house away (but no other)."

...and then, all of a sudden, a tornado blows your house away and no other.

“just in case”. period goes inside the quotation marks

“a couple of colleagues and benefactors of the department”, - comma goes inside, too

One thing that you do well in this chapter is introduce backstory to the character. It's not an info dump and it's well integrated into the progression of the story. You give us just enough information to flesh out the character without taking attention away from the story. The ending is intriguing and makes me want to read the next chapter. All I can say is this is good, in particular, I think each line is written with purpose and this really intrigues me. Another sign of good writing.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to reading more.

-Dream




papillote says...


Thanks for a new review. I really love having someone to spot my mistakes. I'm a little embarrassed, but I clearly couldn't see them anymore. I hope they won't get on your nerves over time and that you'll keep reading and enjoying Bitter's story.



User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 5523
Reviews: 51

Donate
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:50 am
View Likes
Nobunaga says...



I really must remember to review this!




papillote says...


Please. I love reviews.



User avatar


Points: 187
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:12 am
View Likes
Katesea wrote a review...



Hey there! I would like to start off by saying I enjoyed this piece. The beginning certain foreshadows possible trouble, and while the first to third person change confused me at first, I find that it gives an unsettling twist in turn for perspective.

The characters themselves were three dimensional, Carlin himself seems to possess some quite human traits, including being humorous while also being easily flustered. The background itself appeared to be grand, with the Nobel Prize, but intriguingly enough, it reduced itself to just background as Berenice had called. That in itself showed a great turn from joyous to mysterious.

Pacing was a little bit odd I felt, but it flattened itself back out to good pace and worked for the chapter. The flow itself was good and easy to read.

Overall great introduction, I would love to see more out of this.




papillote says...


I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter. I hope you enjoy the next ones too.



User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 74

Donate
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:52 pm
View Likes
deleted221222 wrote a review...



Hello, I’m Thundahguy. I’m here to give you a review that’s worth one soul. A mosquito soul. It bit me when I was writing this. Here you go:

The first part of this story had me a bit confused. The way it goes from a first person perspective to a seemingly third person perspective. I’ll assume that you’ll address it, but the way the rest of the story is written makes it feel more like an omniscient narration than someone else’s.

The pacing and flow works well itself, and there doesn’t seem to be any major problems with grammar. There isn’t much a story currently, but it’s a start at the very least. The ending itself leads in a bit of intrigue. The drips works to add a bit of suspense before Carlin’s daughter calls him. I like how the whole story goes from jovial to this tense tone.

Overall, it’s a good chapter. It doesn’t lend much to any possible future plot points, but it helps introduce Carlin as a character, his role in society, and his personal thoughts. I’ll probably check out your second chapter later today as well.




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 1202
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:17 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese wrote a review...



Hey! It's me! The person you've probably never heard of before! Trying to leave a helpful review

I like the way you ended the story. I was surprised, I thought maybe Berry would've congratulated him for the Nobel prize or something. Guess not, huh? Threw me in for a loopy-loop.

“No, now, no need to be embarrassed, Stephen.

Is it supposed to be "Now, now," or is it right the way it is? It looks a bit confusing to me, so I'm just going to point it out and leave it there.

I wonder what this trance thing is his daughter fell into. It sounds interesting, and I'd like to get more info on it. Her calling him "daddy" is strange, especially after all these years. Not to mention the tone she had used. I'd be preeeettyy creeped out if I were you, Stephen.

All in all I think it was well written, and I myself can't think of anything that could've been done better (other than that potential typo) soo
ye
I'm going to leave this review here and patiently wait for the next chapter




papillote says...


Thank you for the review.
Sorry, it was definitely a typo. Thanks for spotting it.
I'm almost done with chapter 2. I'll publish it in a few days when I've had a chance to go over it again.
I hope you enjoy it. It's a little longer.



RaidenCheese says...


Woot! More stuff to read!




Is that a carrot?
— WeepingWisteria