z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

My Precious Flower

by megan17


My flower stood tall

showering the garden with light and joy

My flower stood strong

each petal like a ray of sunshine, daring anything to rain down on it's glory

My flower stood beautiful

no diamond could live up to the gem it was

Suddenly, a storm came upon my garden

It's dark gushes of air slashed through the precious flower

The storm raged with fury as it destroyed the work of art

It tore off the wondrous petals

It broke the perfect stem

It ruined the very thing I had come to love

The garden I once knew to be a place of sheer joy and light,

was now a place of utter chaos and destruction 

The storm broke my precious flower

This storm, broke me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144550
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:00 am
alliyah says...



Lovely piece! I enjoyed the storm imagery contrasted with the description of the flower. Noticed another reviewer commented on punctuation being absent - this is a great article that shows the effects of different punctuation techniques if you're interested. Punctuation in Poetry I'm a fan of minimal punctuation in free-verse poetry myself.

Thanks for posting! Hope to read more of your work in the future.




Random avatar

Points: 3566
Reviews: 223

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:09 pm
View Likes
Mathy wrote a review...



Hey there! It's ZeldaIsShiek here to review another quintessential piece of literature that made my day and win this Review Day by helping the Red Pandas stay in first place and reaching my goal of 80 reviews. I might even get to 100, if I work hard enough. I am really excited to review this amazing piece of art that you have created, and maybe add some witty humor as well. Anyway, that's enough idle chatter from me. Let's get into the review.

The last line of your poem was very interesting because it really showed me how you are portraying yourself as a flower. I thought that was what you were getting at earlier on in the poem, but the last line of your poem perfectly solidified this feeling. Even if it did contain a lot of comma splices, I understand that your poem is mostly correct in its grammar and its wording. I think you could not add more imagery to this amazing piece, as it is already so full of vivid sensory descriptions of what you are going through. The storm is an event that is happening in real life that is destroying your confidence and your love for life. This is what I got out of your poem, and I truly feel that it is a parody of life's challenges and an amazing representation of imagery in poetry.

That's all for today. Keep writing amazing literature that inspires me to read and review them, and have a great Review Day! Let's beat the Blues once and for all!

~ZeldaIsShiek




User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 206

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 pm
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...



Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking hot cocoa and being a slacker. *Grim looks over, glaring* So, lets get started. :smt020 :smt015

So, the first thing I noticed when reading the poem is that a bunch of places are missing commas. Now, you are new so you wou;dn't know this like some older members do but if you don't add in grammar, like commas or periods, please put that in an authors note. To do that just type AN and bold it, then type after that want you want to say/mention about the poem! Anyways, if you are too add commas and such, the lines that need commas would be "My flower stood tall", "My flower stood strong", "My flower stood beautiful", "Suddenly, a storm came upon my garden", "It tore off the wondrous petals", "It broke the perfect stem" and "The storm broke my precious flower". Otherwise, the flow was great and I really enjoyed the line "no diamond could live up to the gem it was". I liked the comparision in this like, and it made me think of the petal like it was made of gems. Or maybe that it had petals that looked like gems. A very nice image, I must say. MOVING ON!

The meaning... hmm. Well, what I think the poem is saying is that you were happy with yourself, but then someone or something came along and took what made you happy. Or destroyed the happy thoughts, no?

Overall, I liked the poem and keep up the good work! So, happy Valentines Day ! I really need to go now, Grim has souls to reap and he needs more cocoa. He has a problem, seriously. Annnd I think he brought a dinosaur to life. Great. Anyways, Cheerio and fruit loops to you!



Random avatar
megan17 says...


Thank you for your notes! I will be sure to add those commas in my final piece :)



DeerInBacPac says...


No problem!



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 am
Radrook wrote a review...



I like the poem with its use of a flower as a symbol. The images are indeed beautiful. The flower is precious, confident, a light source blessing a garden. Then a storm arrives and it ceases to exist. This, the writer tells us devastates him. What the flower represents we aren't told. Yet we as readers know that it can symbolize many things that might be considered both precious and unassailable. In short it can symbolize anything as long as it is as important as it is to the person as the poet considers it to be to him. For example, it can be a ruined career, a once-idyllic marriage, a precious friendship or an ability which provides us with sense of pride and which we could never imagine as suddenly disappearing.

The storm can represent any event that is the culprit in destroying this sense of admiration and pride. A devastating illness. A disaster. A sudden revelation whether religious or mundane which might cause us to totally re-evaluate our perception of existence and force us to adopt another we a thought false.

So just as the flower is a very flexible symbol in this case so is the disaster.


Look forward to reading more of your work,



Random avatar
megan17 says...


Thank you! I'm excited to hear more from you :)



User avatar


Points: 143
Reviews: 3

Donate
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:30 pm
emma1045 says...



This is a beautiful poem. I'm not great with poetry but...I LOVED IT!!!



Random avatar
megan17 says...


Thank you very much! I was a little worried about posting online, but I'm glad you liked it!



emma1045 says...


Me too. I already posted two of my works and I'm new here too, so, it's okay.




I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice