Home » Literary works » Art » Realistic

Ear Ring - A Visual Pun

by lulon

A visual pun I drew for an assignment

zc927 wrote a review...

I love the pun, and the hand is well drawn!

The main thing I would work more on is contrast. This may be because of the photograph, but everything besides the fingernails are basically one mid-tone. Contrast can make or break a piece, so I would definitely work on adding darker shadows inside the ear, on the inside of the palm, and between fingers.

The fingers are a little bit blob-ish? Remember that the bones in your fingers are rectangular almost, so joints are a little bit less curved, especially since the hand in this drawing seems to be pretty skinny. That's really nitpicking though, so overall great job!

I hope this helped!

lulon says...

hey! yeah, i%u2019ve gotten a lot of comments about how funky this looks, and in real life, it%u2019s wayyy darker. thanks for the insight though! have a lovely day!

Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 am
sulagna says...

Nice drawing!

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:52 am
DeliriumNervosa wrote a review...

Hi Harperlouise06,

I think this is an incredible piece of art! The way you have tied the pun into the actual picture is so cool and such an out of the box thing to come up with! You are a very talented artist! Thank you so much for sharing this piece!
I can't wait to see more of your drawings!

-Delirium Nervosa

lulon says...

aw thank you!

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:32 pm
aeternum says...

The piece is well detailed. The pun is funny, if not a little gross. I pray that is not suppose to be an actual ear on the ring. If it was, it must have one hell of a back story. Perhaps you should write a story using the sketch as a prompt?

lulon says...

that%u2019s actually a fabulous idea! maybe i will...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:15 am
StarlitMind says...

This is really nice! c:

lulon says...

thank you!

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:18 am
whatchamacallit wrote a review...

Hello harperlouise06! I'm not really sure if you're looking for a review on this, or if you just wanted to share - if you just wanted to share, that's totally fine, and you can feel free to ignore this!

And honestly, this is a wonderful pun, as several people have pointed out. I admit, as obvious as it may seem, I've never even thought of this! It's very original and creative, so good job on that!

Anyways, if you're interested in technical critiques, check the spoiler below.

I'll start at the top and work my way down. (Also, I'm aware that some of the values may be a bit off from what they are in real life, because it's a photo, so if anything I say doesn't apply to the actual drawing, please ignore it!)

1. The finger nails
The fingernails are all pretty much the same shade of dark grey, so try adding some highlights based on where the light source is coming from.

2. The fingers
Let's just acknowledge that it's very hard to draw hands and fingers, and you captured the shapes very well, so kudos!
That being said, I'm trying to visualize how the thumb would be positioned, and I think it might be a bit off in this drawing. I think the nail peeking out behind the pointer finger, would probably be a little lower down?

3. The ring
Is wonderful. Enough said.

4. The palm/hand
The whole part of the hand, that is the bottom part of the thumb (if that makes sense), feels a bit high up, as well.

5. Shading
In this photo, the shading looks a bit patchy, but that could very well be the lighting. If that is the case, well then, I have no critique; otherwise, I would recommend evening it out a bit.

Overall, this is a very good drawing of a hand (they're very hard to draw accurately!) and it's a great pun. Well done! I really hope to see more of your drawings in the future!

Keep drawing!

Whatchamacallit

lulon says...

thanks for the feed back!! this was very helpful as this is for a school project so i just might tweak it. i didn%u2019t even think about the finger nail shadings so thanks for pointing that out. when i scanned the drawing into my phone it messed up the shading and color a lot. i agree with the finger opinion. i%u2019m used to fashion drawings so making a detailed hand was a challenge. i appreciate this so very much.

No problem! I figured the shading was probably a bit off because it's a picture. I'm glad I could be of help!

Clairia says...

Beautifully executed. Love the pun!

lulon says...

i appreciate it!

ryleigha says...

my goodness this made me laugh out loud!

lulon says...

haha i%u2019m glad!!!

lulon says...

we have successfully uploaded!!

Liberty says...

Ahaha, I love the pun. xD

lulon says...

thanks!

lulon says...

sorry i don’t know what’s happening

whatchamacallit says...

Hey @harperlouise06, your picture doesn't seem to be there!

Liberty says...

Mhm, it doesn't show for me either.

Clairia says...

Same here!

lulon says...

i%u2019m having some technical difficulties. i%u2019ll try to get it up.

lulon says...

i%u2019m having some technical difficulties

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey