Immortality

by emilyrebecca

“Immortality would be so lonely”

But what people fail to realize is you would never have the crippling fear

that you were running out of time.

The spreading feeling that you lost your shot.

There's always another chance when you have all the time in the world.

The chains of mortality

That hold back all on earth

Never holding you down

leaving your brain and body and soul to be free

To do what the chains hold us back from doing

To not worry about dying so you can

truly live

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:21 pm
4revgreen wrote a review...

One of the strengths of this poem is the clear and concise language used to convey the idea of immortality. The use of this simple language and your direct way of phrasing the poem made the message easy to understand and provided a clear representation of the idea of immortality. For example, the line "But what people fail to realize is you would never have the crippling fear that you were running out of time," effectively conveys the idea that immortality would eliminate the fear of missing out on opportunities due to the constraints of time, without being tied down in unnecessary metaphors that may confuse the reader and distract from the point of the poem.

I really like the idea of:

The chains of mortality

because you're right in the idea that immortality would give someone time to do anything they ever wanted, because you don't really have to think about time anymore! I really relate to the feeling that you are running out of time and have missed all your opportunities already.

Your poem could have benefited a little from further development of the idea of immortality and its effects on human experience. For example, exploring the negative aspects of immortality, such as the possibility of boredom or loss of everyone you love, could add more depth and complexity to the overall poem.

It would be super cool to see a part 2 the poem that reflects on the negative side of immortality!

Overall, I enjoyed this poem a lot!

Keep writing :-)

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:14 pm
JohnKlue wrote a review...

Ah a fresh viewpoint on an old discussion.

this poem seems pretty strait forward, almost more like its dialog from an amazing
thought-provoking fantasy show.
If i can leave one note.
though the other side of this argument has been heard before.
it would be nice to read an entire debate on the subject of mortality.
of course that is most likely to heavy a demand.

what you have is great.
keep it up.

Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi emilyrebecca,

Mailice here with a quick review! :D

You have written a very absorbing poem. I'm very interested in enjoying discussing with people what they think of immortality. I enjoy seeing what your opinion is on it, and I think it's great that you try to describe it through a poem....
Let's jump into the poem:

I think these two lines are a bit too long and you can tell when you read them that they can be split. I would split them and make two new lines so that they fit better into the poem and resemble the rest.

I like this line here because I think you are addressing something very interesting; learning. You can try so much and not be afraid to make a mistake because you have all the time in the world. I think that's a point I think immortality would write well - you could perfect yourself in all the subjects you would never have scahffed in a single lifetime.

The chains of mortality
That hold back all on earth
Never holding you down

I like this passage a lot and yet I'm a little confused here because I think there's a contradiction here between the last two lines. I thought for a while if there was another possible interpretation, but came up with nothing. Maybe you can help me there? :D

To not worry about dying so you can
truly live

I love your ending because it speaks of such positivity that makes a reader want to break those chains and really start living. You write it with an amused vein and joy where I think it seems a little teasing to me, as if someone who is immortal is telling what a pleasure it is to be truly free.

I enjoy the poem. It triggers a conflict in the reader. You manage to create a great image with this short poem, as if it were a question to which you presented your answer. I just like how in the second half you talk about the "chains" we all have.

Despite the lack of rhyme, I can see that you've managed to get some sort of constant that flows smoothly and cleanly as you read. I also like that you manage to address the reader with the poem, and also get them thinking. I think that's always part of a poem. :D

I would see immortality more as something negative. As long as you're alone, all you see is people/friends dying away. Even if you had someone to be immortal with, it gets boring over the centuries. I think you fall into a habit and at some point you just long to finally be able to sleep without ever waking up again.

Mailice.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:52 pm
anne27 wrote a review...

Hi emilyrebecca!! I'm here for a review.

First of all, I really want to compliment on all of your poems and especially the topics you pick. It makes it impossible not to read it. Going on with the review.

LANGUAGE
The language is apt and clear, which makes the message shine out. The flow was great. If the poem is spoken out aloud, it looks really fluid and amazing to say..

MESSAGE
The message is great- especially the thought process behind it. I think one of the reasons not a lot of people elaborate this topic is because they have beloved it to be impossible. So they find disadvantages of it since for them, grapes are sour. So the beauty also lies in the fact that this poem takes into consideration the possibility of immortality. Which is one thing I really admired.

The last two lines were a perfect conclusion. And naturally, my favorite in this poem.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading your poem. Keep writing about such wonderful topics. :)

emilyrebecca says...

Thanks!!

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:56 am
momonster wrote a review...

Hello emily! I'm Momo, and I'm here with a review :)

This poem is so lovely! It's beautiful and well-written, and conveys emotions excellently. I must say, I'm impressed! It's such an amazing poem <3

“Immortality would be so lonely”

Seeing how you punctuated the rest of this poem, I think that there should be a period after lonely.

The chains of mortality

That hold back all on earth

Never holding you down

To not worry about dying so you can...

In my opinion, the lines that I bolded, the first letter should be lowercase, seeing as it's all one sentence.

truly live

I feel like it would look better if you put a period at the end of this sentence.

That's all for now! If I came across as harsh or rude, I'm so sorry! I just want to try and make your writing better. Have a great day!
Momo

This banner was made by HarryHardy!

emilyrebecca says...

Definitely wasn't rude!! Thanks for the feedback.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:35 am
slubbs24 wrote a review...

Hi, slubbs here with a short review.

I loved this it made me think of immorality in another way.

“But what people fail to realize is you would never have the crippling fear”

This was such a deep, meaningful line. I have never been scared of death but if I died tomorrow I would be disappointed in all the goals that weren’t achieved.

I loved how you used the word chains, it made the image in my head very intense. XD

Anyhow I have nothing poor to say.
However I did feel like I learned a lesson, a lesson to start doing what I want before it’s too late.

Thank you for this amazing poem I hope to read more of your works.

~ slubbs

Dossereana wrote a review...

Hi Dossereana here with a real quick review, so lets get right into it.

I loved this so much, it had so much depth, and description that made me see everything in such a cool way.

“Immortality would be so lonely”

that you were running out of time.

Wow excellent first lines here, they took me right into it so I would carry own reading it. I also love the structure of the poem as well, they way you put it together makes it flow really well.
also I'd say to change the rating of this to General, Dramatic. I just think that it has a bit of Dramatic in there, but it's your poem so if you don't want to change the rating for anything that's fine.

This just brings me to ask a question, what if you can't get another shot because that really was the last time? because now your no more yourself. These two lines sure gave me some interesting thoughts for sure.

Then the last few lines two the poem where excellent for sure. I loved reading them, it gave me such feelings to be ownest.

So that's really all that I can say, I hope you are doing alright emilyrebecca, <33 loved this poem and I hope to read more. You keep writing because your great at it. :)

I hope you have a great day/night witch ever side of the world your on.

@Dossereana Flying Over The Green Room And Spreading Shards Of Encouragement

emilyrebecca says...

Thanks for the reply!! ps I'm doing good :)

Dossereana says...

sure thing, also I'm glad that you doing well. :) <3

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet