Stoner

by angelinamar

*This is probably not a usual read you would find here but I wanted to write something off of based true events and I hope some people can relate to it.*

She's a stoner 

He's a stoner

Some of my teacher's are probably stoners

All of the "ghetto" people smoke at my school

Going to a very rich bougie, mostly white kids school is hard to fit into 

All the "ghetto" people smoke 

Am I associated with the stoners?

My best friend is friends with all the stoners

Her friends give me off vibes

I used to smoke but I quit about 4-5 months ago

I am offered almost everyday 

Am I willing to give up 4-5 months of sobriety for 1 hour of an euphoric feeling? 

I feel like I am being viewed differently just because I am friends with the stoners

Coffeewriter wrote a review...

Hey this is Coffee here to offer a short and sweet review!! ^^ I’m so glad you decided to share this wonderful piece, it isn’t a typical poem or piece of work you find in the depths of the green room but it’s certainly a great change of pace and something that offers a sudden reality check to all of us and the struggling addicts around us! Now, let’s dive in!

“ She's a stoner

He's a stoner

Going to a very rich bougie, mostly white kids school is hard to fit into “

The first stanza shows me a classic example of life and school especially. Not fitting in because majority of people are swept up into ‘bad’ things or ‘dangerous’ situations therefore making you different if you don’t do the same.
Just because you see a few people doing something you immediately feel pressured into doing the same. These few lines show the same feelings of guilt, pressure and frustration of being different…and if even teachers follow the same ‘rules’ of the economy then who’s stopping you right ? That’s how you are manipulated to feel. You feel as if the entire world is against you.

“ Am I willing to give up 4-5 months of sobriety for 1 hour of an euphoric feeling? “

Then again, you also feel like are you doing the right thing? Should you really be getting swept up into the crowd or should you be sensible and not fall for the bait on the fishing line?
Just because the fish see food doesn’t mean it’s safe.
“ I feel like I am being viewed differently just because I am friends with the stoners “

You are considered less if you don’t follow the crowd. Then again, who cares what others think? You do you.

Thank you for reading and author, posting! Have a good day/night!! <3

EllieMae wrote a review...

Hey friend! This is a very short piece, but I am so glad you posted it. I wanted to take the time to write you a quick review and share my thoughts:

She's a stoner

He's a stoner

I feel like this talks about different types of addictions and how it is so prevalent amongst different people. It's really looking at "it could be anyone" and how you never know what someone is going through just by meeting them. It could be a friend, family member, teacher, or anyone.

All the "ghetto" people smoke

Am I associated with the stoners?

Her friends give me off vibes

You also touch on different groups. Almost like social classes and stereotypes that are placed upon a person because of the groups and races the belong to. I found that you were very vulnerable in this piece and I really like that about your writing because it is always very relatable. I feel like from reading this I sense this feeling of being stuck one way because people expect you to be that way.

I am offered almost everyday

I see so much strength in you for all of this hard work. I am really proud of your for resisting and trying your best, because that is always the most important thing. I love how you bring it back to your friends at the end and this feeling, once again of expectation and pressure from others.

Overall, sweet and deep piece. Thank you for sharing here on YWS! Keep writing!

Your friend,
Ellie

Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:33 am
dm74 says...

This makes me tbink about not judging someone based on their cover - or in this case based on the covers of who they choose to associate with.

Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.
— Ann Landers