Dear Ex Lover

by angelinamar

I never knew 

I would regain my strength 

I never knew 

I would be able to walk 

This world without you 

Dear ex lover 

Now I can finally say 

Although you may have broken my heart 

You were not strong enough to break me,

I never knew it was possible 

I never knew it was in me 

To hold my head high 

After you had left me,

I thought for sure 

I was never going to love again 

But I am that happy once again 

I was wrong 

Like I was wrong 

When I swore up and down 

You were the one for me

Dear ex lover 

You said I could never find 

Anyone like you 

I am happy you were right 

Because I actually found 

Someone better...Thank you 

For breaking my heart 

LiminalAngel wrote a review...

Your poem beautifully portrays the journey from pain to strength after heartbreak. The repetition of "I never knew" emphasizes the narrator's transformation. Imagery like regaining the ability to walk adds depth, symbolizing emotional recovery. The line "I am that happy once again" declares self-empowerment. The ending expresses gratitude for the lessons learned. Consider refining imagery and structure for greater emotional impact. Keep writing and exploring your emotions through poetry!

RetroCop09 wrote a review...

This poem makes it seem like you suffered the biggest fall of all, a stab in the heart, a betrayal (which could really have happened, if that's the case, I'm glad you're overcoming it) but that, however, you managed to get back up and overcome the fall and continues moving forward, from the text it seems that everything was so unusual, that not even the author knows how he managed to get back on his feet, almost like a "miracle" (it wasn't out of nowhere that the author managed it, he probably had to go through great cruel storms during the journey) and after these "dark days", the author finally found a place to rest, someone to share his story and journey, and above all: the emotions of his being.

The beginning of the poem seems like the end of everything, the ruins of what once was, but in truth it was the beginning of a journey, the author's love (if we can call it Love, because even I question whether there really was a love in the relationship, but I don't know anything) who had, apparently, been crushed like nothing by his "lover", which caused the relationship to end due to a toxic relationship (from what I read), but in the end, the author managed to overcome the wounds of the old relationship.

But anyway, getting off topic a little, congratulations on having overcome it, I hope that your life prospers from now on and that there will only be more victories for you, that you will be able to progress more and more, and that, if by some chance you make a mistake, you will learn from the mistake and improve, improve more and prove to everyone who hurt you who you really are.

Retrocop.

GothKiddo wrote a review...

I love poems like this. It's always obvious when the author is writing with pure emotion, and words start to fill up the page. I'm so glad that you were able to find someone who loved you better. Sometimes it takes that one last heartbreak to find the person who heals your wounds. It's simple, yet lyrical in a way. Fantastic. <3

ThekingsAdvisor wrote a review...

This poem speaks to the ups and downs of love and heartbreak. It's like a window into someone's journey of finding strength after being hurt. The way you talk about not knowing they could move on without their ex-lover is so heartbreaking. And then, realizing they're actually happier without them? That's a big moment.

I love how the poem captures those feelings of doubt and uncertainty, but also the hope that comes with healing. It's like a reminder that even when things feel really tough, there's always a chance for things to get better. And that last part about finding someone even better? It's like a little ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds. Overall, it's a touching poem that shows how love and heartbreak can shape us in unexpected ways.

Good Job really great poem loved it.

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage