12+

Corrupted Courage Chapter 9

by Vita

The dark apartment was warm and muggy in the still spring air. My mother had told me of a time when springs were wet and chilly, though I hardly believed her. In the world I had been born into, you were sweating by mid march. Every year the summers got a bit hotter, the winters shrunk and withered. Every year a bit more land was lost to the sea. The oil companies had finally stopped trying to deny it, but by now, there was little to be done.

I sighed and felt my way carefully to the window. Leaning my forearms against its splintered sill, I looked out at the concrete jungle outside. Sometimes, I couldn’t help but think that I would never know a world other than this damned city. Sometimes, I couldn’t help but hope that I would make it out. The hope was worse than the frustration, because the hope was hungry. Dreams only made reality bitterer. So, I ignored them, let my plans to see the world whither away like a flower in the dark. I couldn’t bear to think of all the things that could never be.

After a moment, I shook off my melancholy and turned away from the window. The floorboards creaked under me as I made my way to the kitchen. The light in the refrigerator dazzled my eyes with its brightness. Blinking, I saw that the bare bulb shown on empty white shelves.

I stifled a groan, wondering how long it would take for the mayor to transfer the promised money to my account.

Rooting through the dusty pantry, I found half a loaf of stale bread and a jar of peanut butter. Hardly a gourmet meal, I thought, remembering the mayor’s 500-credit champagne. My stomach growled back that it would have to do.

A few minutes later, I was washing down the last crusts of my sandwich with lukewarm tap water. I put my dishes in the sink and stifled a yawn. As my chest expanded, my broken ribs sent fire shooting through my abdomen.

I reached for the bag of medicine Dr. Alvarez had given me. Inside were two small rattling bottles. I squinted at the labels. Each one had a long chemical name I couldn’t begin to decipher, followed by the instructions “Take two tablets by mouth twice daily, with or without food.”

“Take them by mouth,” I muttered under my breath sarcastically, “Where else does he think I’m going to take them?”

I swallowed the pills one by one in between big gulps of water. They left a chalky coating on my throat and I tried not to gag. I’d never been very good at taking pills.

Within a few minutes, the pain that had been a fire in my chest faded to a dull throbbing ember. I breathed a sigh of relief. Dr. Alvarez might be suspicious, cryptic and very easily mistaken for a rapist at times, but his prescriptions worked quickly.

I hid the bag of pills under my mattress, taking the opportunity to check on my sister in the top bunk. Etta’s honey-blond curls looked gunmetal silver in the moonlight, a few strands spread across her face and clinging to her chapped lips, trembling with her breaths.

I felt my heart fill with warmth, the same way it had when I had first peeked into the bassinet. Her face still held some of that baby-plumpness, but she was growing up faster and faster with every passing day. As she lay there with her newly gangly limbs flung out at odd angles, I wished I could freeze her in time, keep her there asleep and dreaming until I had fixed everything, until I had built a better world for her to grow up in. But time waits for no one, as I knew well. The clock never stops ticking.

I kissed her forehead and she smiled in her sleep.

“Everything will be okay,” I whispered, half to her and half to myself, half a promise and half a prayer, “I’m taking care of it.”

Speaking of people who needed taking care of; I crossed the hall on silent feet. My mother’s room was darker than the rest of the apartment, an old sheet hanging crookedly over the window. The light made her headache worse. Everything made her headache worse.

I paused in the doorway while my eyes adjusted. The silence in her room felt heavier than in the rest of the house. The phrase still as death surfaced in my mind, but I shoved it down. Mom isn’t going to die. She can’t.”

My mother’s still figure was curled like broken doll under the sheets. I stood still and listened for her breaths, each one labored and with a long pause in between them. I felt something soft inside me crumple, and something sharp and ugly solidify to take its place. I knew I would do whatever it took to save her, even if that made it hard for me look her in the eye.

I unfolded the quilt from the foot of her bed and spread it over her, remembering the days when it had been her tucking in me. I kissed her forehead as I had Etta’s, but this time my whisper was not a promise, but a declaration of war.

“The mayor will get you this operation. I’ll make sure of it.”

That night, or rather morning, I went through the motions of brushing my teeth and changing into pajamas like I was on autopilot. My first instinct was to collapse into bed fully clothed and with peanut butter on my breath, but I’d been raised to prioritize good dental hygiene, and I wasn’t going to forget that just because I was being blackmailed into being a superhero. Even mutant vigilantes have to have standards.

Etta was snoring softly as I collapsed onto my bed like a marionette with the strings cut. My old, creaky mattress had a hollow in the middle exactly my shape and size, and it cradled my bruised body like a nest, pulling me down, down into velvety darkness . . .

With my last conscious thought before sleep enveloped me, I realized: Ah, crap. It’s a school night, isn’t it. 

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:16 am

Hi! So....this is my 17th review of the day so I might be slightly burnt out. So excuse me if I put in a couple of spelling mistakes here and there.

First Impression: Soo....this one....was a bit of a filler chapter I felt. That's not bad at all. We are getting a real nice look at the situation that Maisie is in and getting a good picture of why Maisie what she does so that's definitely a really smart move there to include a chapter like this. The overall flow of this chapter was pretty nice, it wasn't that long so there really wasn't issues in that aspect.

Well this world is not headed in a very good direction by the sound of that.

Well that's a neat description right there to starkly contrast the earlier descriptions from where the mayor was at.

Well that took her quite some time to get around to that but then I suppose she was too distracted by the day's work to check this thing out before food.

Well...not all pills are taken from the mouth.

This whole part is really beautifully written. Definitely puts in perspective what Maisie fighting for and just strengthens the plot of this really well.

Oh dear I am getting dangerously close to chopping onions at this point. I really need to sharpen this knife I'm using.

Well that's a fun thing to slide in there and also great advice. Dental hygiene is extremely important especially to superheroes.

Ouch. That's not a thought that you want to end the day on.

Aaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Not too much to put her for this one. For what it was meant to do it does an amazing job and I really can't find anything wrong with it. This feels like a nice bit of aligning almost before we break into more action later down the line and that's definitely nice to have a bit of a breather to just process all of what happened to so far. Waiting patiently for more of this. :D

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:16 pm
Hijinks wrote a review...

Hey Vita! I was super excited to see you've posted the next chapter :)

This is a little bit shorter of a chapter, but I don't mind that, especially since it's mostly functioning to show us what Maisie's home and family is like. I think you've done a really good job of depicting her house, and her relationship with her mother and Etta - I can see how much she cares for them by her emotions at seeing them.

Another thing I liked was that you stopped this chapter from becoming just descriptions by adding dialogue of just Maisie talking to herself/her sleeping family. There's nothing wrong with descriptions, obviously (and yours are always so beautiful), but having a whole chapter without dialogue does risk the chance of losing the reader's attention. But that is not at all the case with this one, which is at least partly because you include her thoughts/thinking aloud.

I don't have any huge critiques for this chapter - not much happens plot-wise, but I don't think it's a bad thing to use some chapters as a bit of a breather.

Now I'll move on to some more specific comments/nitpicks ~

In the world I had been born into, you were sweating by mid march.

Very small thing, but I believe "mid march" should be "mid-March".

So, I ignored them, let my plans to see the world whither away like a flower in the dark.

This isn't technically a sentence - "let" either needs to be "and let" or "letting".

Blinking, I saw that the bare bulb shown on empty white shelves.

I think you mean "shone" here.

Etta’s honey-blond curls looked gunmetal silver in the moonlight, a few strands spread across her face and clinging to her chapped lips, trembling with her breaths.

Ooh I love this description!

Mom isn’t going to die. She can’t.

Just a stray quotation mark here ;)

Etta was snoring softly as I collapsed onto my bed like a marionette with the strings cut.

More great descriptions! I love how your prose almost has elements of poetry in it, especially with the imagery.

Wait she has school? I was not expecting that but I guess it makes sense!

All in all, another really strong chapter! I can't wait to see what happens in the next one! I hope you find this review useful :)

Also I'm really sorry to hear that someone in your family died. That's really tough and it's totally understandable why you took a break from writing. <3

whatchamacallit

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:23 am
penngreen4776 wrote a review...

Heya! I'm penn. I want to start this off by saying wow, this is well written. An easily readable and bingeable superhero fiction story with an interesting premise and setting? Easily the feelings you've filled me with on this alone is pretty amazing, from the characterization of Maisie, to the intrigue of her neighbor and Doc Alvarez, to the sliminess and corruption of Bates and the mayor.

You've gotten me addicted, and I can't wait to know more about this stunning world of advertisement and pseudo-heroism you've crafted.

I also wish to say "sorry for your loss" without sounding so cookie-cutter. Losing someone you know is always terrible.

Vita says...

Thanks so much!

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:06 am
Vita says...

@HarryHardy sorry for the long wait! There was a death in the family that kinda killed my motivation to write. But I'm back now and I'll try to post more often.

KateHardy says...

Ohh I'm so sorry. I hope you're feeling better now. Sorry for the late review. There was a power cut yesterday and I couldn't get to this.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot