z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

informational dissonance within an entertainment phenomenon

by Omni


quick, name something more

presidential than that line

"China ate your lunch"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
311 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 311

Donate
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:12 pm
Riverlight wrote a review...



Lemme review this real quick...

I meant to review this right after we had that flurry of election-related haikus, but I guess I forgot! XD

Your title is amazing and really reminds me of watching the two presidential debates and how ridiculous the president looked to myself and others. It's longer than the actual poem, and that just makes it seem a bit odd in a good way.

As for the haiku itself, I agree with the others regarding punctuation changes. Other than that, it's perfect!

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!




User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 10085
Reviews: 147

Donate
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:51 am
View Likes
Carina wrote a review...



Wassup my dude! Here to give you some ~epic~ poetry advice, because I'm definitely an expert in political haikus.

So first, the title. Not only is the title a poem in itself, but it's even longer than the haiku, which is p cool! It doesn't quite follow the 5-7-5 syllable rule, instead being two syllables over the limit. This poem is already a masterpiece, but if the title was a haiku as well, it would give it much more depth and be extra meta.

Breaking this down line-by-line:

- line one -
I think if the comma after "quick" was changed with an exclamation point, it would be extra emphasis while also being visually appealing with all the lowercase letters.

- line two -
I'm feeling mixed about this line, because the word "that" seems vague; maybe something more specific, like "the" would be more appropriate? Or perhaps "presidential than the phrase" is more concise.

- line three -
This. So beautiful. So meaningful. What does he mean that "China ate your lunch"? Perhaps it is a metaphor, like Marie Antoinette saying, "Let them eat cake." Was President Trump insinuating that China is today's Marie Antoinette to Joe Biden or the USA? Or perhaps he is saying that China is the bully in middle school who steals your lunch money and lunch. So many possibilities! So mystical! So poetic!

But presidential? Now that's up for ~debate~...
But that's why you wrote this, right? ;)

Can't wait for the next political haiku session. :P

~Carina




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate

User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:33 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Omni!

I fully encouraged this trend of poetry, and now I feel bad about that since they're all in the Green Room, so here I am with your review. HAPPY REVMO AND STUFF.

I like the fact that your title has more syllables than the entire haiku does xD It's lofty, flowery language, but I still like it. It kind of gives a disjointed feel to have such a formal stuffy title and then the poem itself be a quick, pithy, humorous bit.

The poem itself is also good! I think you could really enhance it a bit with some punctuation tweaks. I know that punctuation and capitalization are stylistic choices in poetry, but still, they can help the reader know how things are meant to be read. So I think a "quick!" for example being followed with an exclamation mark rather than a comma can kind of help ramp up the excitement.

I think this poem flowed really nicely and you built it up well to have a humorous ending. I absolutely adore how different of poems we made using the same prompt. It's fantastic!

~Shady




Omni says...


Shady :D

ur right this is completely ur fault ahaha now say ur sorry >:C

thank you on the title. I honestly wanted it to be long and fancy and full of vague imagery right because then people will click on it thinking it's like a fancy schmancy poem poem, yknow? and then they see it and it's completely NOT that lol

I probably could have done some punctuation but i wanted it like dumb and stuff so i didnt do so

i guess now i have to review YOUR haiku to toss it out of the green room haha



User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 10085
Reviews: 147

Donate
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:39 am
View Likes
Carina says...



"i brought back FOOTBALL...
people in ohio are
very proud of me"




Omni says...


does trump just talk in haikus???



Thisislegacy says...


Trump doesn't trust haiku because it sounds like it comes from chiiinaa (it's hard to put in writing how he pronounces china but imagine china but 3 syllables)



Shady says...


chi-ya-na



Carina says...


i now await the moment someone makes a haiku with trump's china pronunciation



Shady says...


chi-ya-na: um, so --
what's the orange man tryna say?
could be; covfefe?



Carina says...


i can now die happy




i like that the title of dr jekyll and mr hyde makes a clear stance that the embodiment of one’s own evil doesn’t get a claim to the doctorate
— waywardxwallflower