z

Young Writers Society



Venetian Cemetary

by Threnody


San Michele was one place where I knew I could be alone early in the morning as all of the people, living and dead, were still asleep in the tombs they had hid themselves in the night before. Many would tell me to stay far from San Michele at night because the dead enjoyed dancing and dipping their feet in the water when no one could see them fall apart. This is why, now that I look back on it, no one spit in the canals that surrounded San Michele. It could have been respect or fear that kept them from it, though I, being French, could not understand either of these emotions.

San Michele was beautiful in the early morning, as many people reassured me after I returned and informed them of my activities. One woman, my landlady, told me how the sun burnt the soil and warmed her husband’s feet from where he lay, six feet underground.

“His eyes, when touched by sunlight, were marvelous. Not many people possess eyes that turn from silver to gold as the earth turns,” she continued telling me, crying a little bit and handing me an Italian poppy from the flowerbox that hung over the balcony of the apartment that a young writer owned. It was red and I thought of blood, although that was probably the wrong idea.

“Take this to him for me when you go again, I can’t make the journey anymore,” she said as the turned to enter the apartment building, dragging a straw broom and a full bucket of water behind her with her rough and calloused hands. I was told that they were the same that had covered the mouth of a Jewish girl who watched her mother shot into a canal almost 70 years ago. I examined the poppy wondering what kind of strength it took to travel to San Michele.

The next day I chose to walk to San Michele, passing by the Gondolier who I had turned down the day before as well. He raised his eyebrow at me as I walked by but I shrugged and held the poppy aloft.

“Going the Isle of the Dead again are you? Well I’m glad you’re walking again, I’m tired of going there, it makes me feel like Charon, you know?” He yelled out, winking at me. I didn’t understand what he meant and so I left him standing in his boat. I regretted my decision almost instantly, missing the company of a living person as I entered the cemetery.

I looked around for the name of the man who was to receive the poppy.

“I made his bed in the plot that is half covered by a weeping willow. Such an unhappy tree should never be left completely alone with such an unhappy man,” my landlady had explained. She wrung her hands at the thought, revealing chipped fingernails that reminded me of chipped teacups. They must have belonged to beautiful hands once.

It took me awhile to find the right stone. The light of the morning decomposed everything and left the barest of colors for me to find my way by. The only two shades I could see where the brightest of lights and the darkest of darks, which were cast as a result of the first. I was so confused that I ran into someone as I walked towards a shape that looked like giant crying woman with a breaking back, which I assumed was the tree. The someone caught me as I fell and when I collected myself, I found that I was more disoriented than before.

“How lucky for me to stumble upon you, I believe that is my flower?” the person said in broken French that made me question the clarity of my own tongue.

“Are you Rinaldo di’Angelo? This is his,” I told the person, whose voice I couldn’t distinguish as dominantly male or female.

“Rinaldo di’Angelo. That is a beautiful name. Perhaps I’ll collect it with the others.” The person guided me to the shade cast by the willow, and as the sun removed itself from my eyes, I found that I could see. The speaker was a thin, hollow looking man whose large brown eyes smiled for his mouth that evidently could not.

“You’re the writer who lives in the apartment with the flowers.” I met his eyes and separated myself from his arm which no longer had to support me. I offered him the poppy which he turned down, indicating for me to place it on the grave that was indeed Rinaldo di’Angelo’s.

“I’m collecting names,” he started suddenly, when we realized we were standing in silence. “I use them for my stories or my poems. Every name I see or hear goes in this notebook.” He patted his breast pocket briskly and revealing that it contained a small leather bound book and a ballpoint pen. “First, middle, last…it doesn’t matter. As long as it sounds right, I collect it.”

“Do you use all of them?” I asked, my curiosity mounting when he pulled the notebook out of his pocket and flipped to one of the last pages in order to write down Rinaldo’s name.

“Only the ones that mean something to me.”

“Then it is the meaning you remember, the name is irrelevant,” I replied, if only to test the strength of his beliefs.

“I suppose,” he answered, to my surprise. He offered me a small smile, shut his notebook, and stared intently at the name on the gravestone in front of him.

We parted ways at San Michele, and, like always, it was rare that I saw him outside of his apartment. When my days in Venice came to an end and I moved back to Bordeaux, I thought nothing of him. However, an excerpt from an Italian novel that I read by an unnamed author made me remember him and my time in Venice. It was about San Michele and the people who would visit its shores.

I couldn’t remember her name. Only that she never smiled or thought of beautiful things. She walked to the Isle of the Dead herself, instead of letting herself be taken there. Some days she would lie down next to a grave as if she were lying next to someone in bed. She made me forget about names, even my own.

~ Isle of the Dead, Unknown


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 3465
Reviews: 45

Donate
Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:49 pm
prolixity wrote a review...



Nitpicks/Comments

San Michele was one place where I knew I could be alone early in the morning as all of the people, living and dead, were still asleep in the tombs they had hid themselves in the night before.

Good first line. :D
told me how the sun burnt the soil

This feels too poetic and writer-y for something the landlady said. I don’t know.
I was told that they were the same that which had covered

“Going the Isle of the Dead again

Did you mean to put a “to” or is that a broken English thing? The rest of what he says seems normal though.
“I made his bed in the plot that which is half-covered

chipped fingernails that which reminded me of chipped teacups.

It took me a while to find the right stone

“Awhile” is an adverb, “while” is a noun.
I was so confused that I ran into

I found that I was more disoriented than before.

I found that I could see.

a thin, hollow-looking man whose large brown eyes smiled for his mouth that which evidently could not.


General
I liked this... though it's subtle. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what you have going on here. There's what she says about the meaning of names, and the fact that she appears in his book without her name. "She made me forget about names, even my own." Obviously she had a huge effect on the writer. I find it a little hard to believe, though. What does she mean and why is the name thing such a big deal? I understand the need to be mysterious, but I think you need to develop it a bit more.

Otherwise, your writing is very good. I found myself correcting "thats," probably because you didn't have any other grammar errors. You're supposed to avoid "that" in formal writing, if you haven't heard before. Of course this isn't formal writing and you can do whatever you want. But it did seem like they were coming up quite a lot. I don't think I got them all. It's just something to think about, but feel free to leave them as is.

I like your narrator a lot. She's very... serious. I did want to know more about her though. I think the one problem here is there's too much mystery: the narrator, the writer, the cemetery, forgetting names.

That's not a real book, right? Because Wikipedia says it's a 1969 science fiction novel. :P

Great job! :D
Prolix



Random avatar
bobbywalker says...


Hey. Can you tell me how you make those note from the text? good review Btw.



prolixity says...


Like this: [ q u o t e ] text here [ / q u o t e ] but with no spaces.


Random avatar
bobbywalker says...


Ah thanks :) Your review was better. We had the same points, but you managed to get them more visible.



Random avatar

Points: 469
Reviews: 31

Donate
Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm
Bobbywalker wrote a review...



Starting this with your title. You're talking about a cemetery.
This was suprisingly good. The way you write is constructive and well, though with minor mistakes. I really liked the introduction that gives you a creepy feeling. But I think it's not clear enough in the start what she's about to do. I had to read it twice before I understood fully what happened.
One thing is certain, and that is that you know what genre you are writing. The unclear feeling about the plot is a little creepy, and the end:

"I couldn’t remember her name. Only that she never smiled or thought of beautiful things. She walked to the Isle of the Dead herself, instead of letting herself be taken there. Some days she would lie down next to a grave as if she were lying next to someone in bed. She made me forget about names, even my own.
~ Isle of the Dead, Unknown"

That ending gave me the creeps. What happened here. I relly want more, but the genre restrains that. Makes it better really.

Other than that the man in the cemetery. He did not feel important enough. I was actually caught up in the ghostly feeling, I first thought the man was a ghost. Problem is that when I found out that he wasn'tm he dimmed away and I forgot him in a way.

If you ever want another review, just ask. I'm more than welcome. Love, Bob Walker!





Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief