z

Young Writers Society



Motion in a Minute

by Threnody


Emma was a particularly close friend of mine... actually, maybe that's incorrect. I didn't know her very well at all, but it seemed as if I would always seek out her company over anyone else's. I did not know very many people here. Nobody likes to be alone but I never tried to become anything more than an acquaintance with the people who inhabited my blurry dreamscape of a world. I suppose I was being foresighted, never allowing disappointment even the barest of thresholds. But Emma, she was different. She offered me catalytic comfort and I'd spend many nights with her, walking around San Francisco in our knock-off heels while smoking, talking, laughing, and sometimes just reading the same meretricious advert and challenging each other to make as many four letter words out of the cloying catch-phrases. She frightened me a bit, but it was an exotic and exciting breed of fear that kept me continuously chasing after it. She was beautiful in an untouchable way, a poisoned apple that's dripping red skin suggested both a delicious interior but a sinister kick that would ruin you if you allowed yourself even the smallest of tastes. We talked about everything, nothing that mattered you understand, just things we always wondered about.

"What happens when you fall while dreaming?" I would ask Emma, taking a sip of my sloppily spiked Coke that was dripping down the sides and catching the light of the midnight neon.

"You could wake up." She took the Coke out of my hands and took a deep sip." You could fall to your death. " She answered distantly as she threw the empty can into the street, reflecting the mist that rose out of the manholes in the depths of her dark eyes. "You could fly." She looked at me, relishing the thought as she rose clumsily from the bus stop bench, straightening the besequined cocktail dress that hung awkwardly from her skinny shoulders. "What do you think Rachelle? Should we fly or will we fall?" She laughed. It sounded like she was crying though, emotion bubbling forth with such staggering energy that made me want to kiss her.

Did I love her? It didn't matter to me that she was a woman. She whistled when she was sad, she could look so alive even while doing the most mundane of tasks. The other day I helped her clean out her apartment, a chasmic hole in Chinatown that held more strange, perplexing and glamourous things than I had ever seen. Even my trip to Jakarta the year before paled in comparison to what she had accumulated here.

"Look at this old thing," she sighed, holding up a lonely looking, but no less exquisite, chopstick I had just uncovered from behind her gas stove. Its gilded pattern was fading away in the ancient jade. She suddenly burst into tears but as I tried to calm her, she pulled back. Usually when confronted with someone who is crying, one would expect the noble thing to do would be to comfort her. However, when that person is trying hard to hide their tears...is the noble thing to do is to pretend not to notice them? I looked away; such emotion was beyond my comprehension. She met my eyes and smiled, tears cascading down her cheeks. "Don't worry about me, something was caught in my eyes." She carefully wiped her heavily powdered lids with a tissue. Indeed something was caught in her eyes, I saw myself in them. I looked lonelier than ever before, but somehow I looked happier as well. Emma carefully twisted the lone chopstick into her hair and admired herself in a dusty mirror. She turned to me for approval.

"You look pretty." I said slowly, wanting nothing more than for her to hold my gaze for 10,000 years. She laughed, dismissing my compliment easily.

"Take it Rachelle, what am I supposed to do with it?" She grinned and slipped me the meaningless stick as carefully as if it were her heart.

It was unfortunate, that year, when Emma left San Francisco to "experience the world." Those were her very words. The day at the airport, as she leapt out of my red Sedan, she looked more distant than ever. She begged me to walk her to the terminal, her ebullient joy was so vivaciously channelled that I was afraid she would break her ankle as she almost charged into the airport in her scarlet espadrilles. She was talking, saying so many things that all I heard was noise. She would laugh if she heard me say that.

"All anyone hears is noise!" She'd smile, kicking her long legs up onto the ripped seats of one of those red trolleys running up and down my city.

I watched her from a spectators seat, hanging back into the crowd of those leaving and those left behind. The last image I saw of her was her turning her head around, swinging her radiant black hair in the air, looking for me in the maelstrom of people. She blew me a kiss and shouted out a good-bye of some kind. Then she was gone, leaving nothing but heavy, disconsolate silence in my entire being.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:43 pm
birk wrote a review...



Hey Threnody!

It caught my eye that you have written so much, so I wanted to do a review of something. I found little to add in your works except here, so I'm shooting for a quick one.

First off, I really like your title! Not something I usually comment on, but it really stood out to me.

Now, to be honest, I didn't find this piece all that interesting during the first half. However, that all changed in your last part, that has some really good writing.

There are a couple of paragraphs you could divide up into two seperate paragraphs. I also feel you tried to go a bit too deep sometimes. It felt out of place.

An example:

out of the manholes in the depths of her dark eyes

I feel thats a bit too much.

As for grammatical errors, there weren't that many. There was also some akward wording a few places. I'll go over some:

close friend of mine... actually, maybe that's incorrect.

This line is really akward. And don't use ellipsis like this.

edit
I did not know many people here


Should we fly or will we fall?"

I think this should be:Will we fly or will we fall?. I think it looks better as well.

The relationship portrayed between them is pretty good, but I would tone down on the lesbian aspect and just hint at it.

Other than this, excellent! As I said, I like your other works. Keep it up.

Cheers
Birkhoff




User avatar
816 Reviews


Points: 44887
Reviews: 816

Donate
Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 am
View Likes
Shearwater wrote a review...



Hey there, Threnody!

I'm here to review!
So, to begin with, I do like this piece. I like the contrasting personalities that you display between both the characters and I like how distant, yet close your writing feels. Perhaps you're trying to tell me something meaningful behind this story but I can't really seem to understand the symbolism behind the chopsticks nor can I understand the reasons that Emma leaves, I feel like there is a mystery about why she's 'exploring the world' and why she breaks into tears - but it's all just emotion, strong emotions but just emotion and because there is no reason explained, I feel cut off form fully understanding this short story.

With that said, you can take two paths. First, you can either explain why Emma is the way Emma is but that would ruin the mystery behind her eccentric personality, won't it? So, you might want to turn the reasoning knob up on the protagonist. Let her guess and understand her friend, then the readers can guess and understand as well. Do yo know what I mean?

Another thing I want to point out is your abundant use of technical words. It's easy to understand if you are familiar with the words but other readers, or those who know what heels are but don't understand what espadrilles are would have trouble guessing what it means. Maybe you can try to tone down the technical stuff? You don't your readers to have to dig through the dictionary every other paragraph because there's different names for everything in the world.

Also, don't be afraid to make this story longer, add more detail and like Illuminist said below me, you can try to give more descriptions to help set the setting. This can help ground what's going on at the moment. In the beginning you explain who the protagonists are but it goes from walking along the sidewalk to drinking coke at her home so that jump caused some confusion.

Overall, I think you can still make some edits on this to bring out the contrasting emotions and personalities. If you need anything else or have any more questions, send me PM. Hopefully this review helped some. ^^

Keep writing,
-Pink




User avatar
289 Reviews


Points: 30323
Reviews: 289

Donate
Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:59 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...



Perhaps you should define the setting more- just an idea





“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken