Heart disorders and alcohol never mix well, now that I think about it.

by Sonder

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

A/N: Just a test of a character back story to get in his head. This is Charlie McQuire, from NYC. He just received a four-day suspension. His stepfather just got home. Warning, violence and minor cursing.

“I wish she had just aborted you!”

Slap.

“No one loves you, you know that, you worthless piece of--”

Slap.

“Your grandma thought that some god did. I don’t see her or any god around here, do you?!”

My stepfather staggered to the side, blasting my aching face with beer breath. He regained his balance and drew back his arm to hit me again, eyes glittering with drunk rage. My right eye was already swelling, blood trickling from my nose from when he had stormed into my room and thrown his beer bottle at my face. It had bounced off of my cheekbone. I hoped my nose wasn’t broken.

As soon as he had thrown my bedroom door open and lurched in like the alcoholic he was, I knew I was in trouble. Apparently the school had called him to inform him that I had been sent home again. Where he had gotten the booze to throw him into such a state so quickly, I had no idea. Maybe he had excused himself from work to go to a bar or something, that jerk.

My head snapped to the side as his hand collided with my face for the third time. I knew from enough run-ins with Jerry that it was no good to try to dodge the attacks. Besides, there was no way out of my room anyway. He had cornered me against the wall and had closed the door. And Mom wouldn’t be home for another hour, at least.

I groaned and worked my jaw, carefully probing at my teeth. He had chipped a tooth once. Used a belt after I had accidentally set the neighbor’s cat on fire. The doctor had been suspicious of the welt on my cheek, but had let it slide. I was glad he had. The retaliation would have been worse if he had questioned me.

“What do you want me to say, old man?” I spat out, the familiar copper taste of blood filling my mouth. Crap. “I’m sorry, alright? I didn’t know they’d suspend me for this long.”

Jerry bared his teeth and grabbed the front of my school blazer, bunching it under my throat, pushing me hard against the wall. His dark eyes were unfocused and wild, his breathing heavy.

“Shoulda thought of that before you frickin’ sprayed your teacher with shaving cream. I’m gonna kill you, freak. Shoulda done it a longtimeagotoo...” His words slurred together, and he wrinkled his forehead in anger, blinking furiously.

This wasn’t the first time he had given me a death threat. But this time, he was so out of it, I was actually worried. He wasn’t thinking right. Not that he ever did, but this was scary even for Jerry.

“Woah, Jerry. Hold on,” I gasped through the pain. Raising my hands awkwardly in surrender, I tried to calm him down. Not my strong point. I was only good at riling people up.

“You really, really shouldn't kill someone. Not me. Right? That’s murder.” I spoke slowly, calmly. Murder wasn’t that odd of a topic in our household. Jerry had already gone to prison twice for fights in bars. Gave one guy a really bad concussion. I think he had needed therapy to learn how to brush his teeth again or something.

“You’ll be arrested. It wouldn’t be a short time like the others either. Mom’d be devastated.”

I couldn’t believe I was talking about my death like that. With such a factual tone. But he was so far gone. He had to see sense, and fast. My throat was closing shut as his fists stayed tangled in my shirt.

He snarled and jabbed harder into my neck.

“Maybe that's a risk I’m willing...to take, you little--”

“Jerry--”

“Stop talking, you sick bastard!”

He got a better grip around my collar and started to pull upwards. My breathing turned ragged, my breathing passages closing together the harder he pulled. Jerry was an ex-wrestler. He could hold me against the wall all day if he wanted. I was helpless.

“Your voice is the most obnoxious thing I’ve ever heard. Shut up, Charles, damn you! Just shut up for once!

His scream was ragged with drink and anger from years of living with someone like me. His glittering eyes glared into mine, his dark skin looking black as pitch in the dim light. He looked like a demon.

I was going to die.

I gagged, arms thrashing. I pulled weakly on his iron grip.

“Stop...Jerry...”

He lifted me slightly to throw me back against the wall. My head bounced off with a sickening crack.

“Gonna kill you, kid. I’ve had enough of your games. You were never good to anyone! You were just a defective kid that got dumped on me!”

Defective. That was me, alright. Born with a congenital heart defect, ADHD, and a morbid talent for making people want to kill me. Yay, Charlie.

Jerry cracked my head against the wall again, sweat running into his crazed eyes.

“No one ever wanted you in the first place! Useless! Pathetic!”

That was it. My lungs were heaving, my bloodied nostrils flaring in desperation. I couldn't breathe. Jerry wasn’t going to come to his senses in time. The neighbors never called 911. We lived in Hell’s Kitchen, for crying out loud. This stuff happened far too often.

I’d have to save myself this time.

I gathered my strength and snapped my knee up into Jerry’s groin. He howled, doubled over, and I took my opportunity. I grabbed my phone off of my bedside table, dodged his unsteady grab for me, and dashed out of the bedroom. I rammed my hip into the kitchen table as I snagged my jacket and tugged on my boots at lightening speed. It was going to be freezing outside.

Jerry’s bellows grew alarmingly close as I grabbed my apartment key and put my hand on the doorknob.

“I hope your heart explodes, Charlie! I hope you die out there in the street!”

I turned to see my stepfather, still hunched over in my bedroom doorway. Through my swelling eyelids I could see his maniacal grin, his back starting to straighten through his pain. He took a step closer, fighting through the hurt to get at me. He was going to kill me. I had to get away.

The only problem was inside me. My heart was already pounding in my chest from the exertion in my own home. My weak, pathetic heart that failed its one purpose at life. To give me the oxygen needed to function properly. I had been so lucky to be born with a stupid, deformed life source, a stupid hyperactive disorder and a stupid abusive home. If I pushed myself too hard, my little chest organ could burst.

If I tried to run, I might die. The doctors told me so ever since my first open-heart surgery.

If I didn’t run, I would be murdered. They’d find me splattered around my own home. I could already see the headlines. I’d just be a homicide statistic.

I twisted the knob, time slowing to a crawl as I debated the choice that might change my life. Then Jerry’s heavy breathing ran like ice fingers down the back of my neck, and I knew I had no choice.

I flung open the apartment door, Jerry's drunken threats spewing out the doorway behind me.

And I ran.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:45 am
GuyLathamzim wrote a review...

Great Piece. Awesome character development and introduction, the personalities of Charlie and Jerry are Really brought to life by your dialog and vocab. I'd say that the characters' vivid personalities also play a huge role in creating the setting, a difficult thing to have achieved. Just as Rainbowcereal said, the degree of realism in the ex-wrestler and alcoholic, Jerry, is ideal. far too often characters such as these are exaggerated and oversold. However well told it may be, I still didn't feel that the content and scenes reached their maximum potential. none the less, fantastic work and keep it up. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Sonder says...

Thank you! How do you feel it could reach its full potential? Please elaborate! Thanks again!

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:08 pm
RainbowCereal wrote a review...

First off, wow. I hadn't expected that to be as good as it was, in all honesty. Kudos.
I really like your vocabulary and the images it put in my head- I've never encountered these characters before, and yet in this short I got a pretty decent feel of the kinds of people Charlie and Jerry are. I also think you introduced Jerry as an alcoholic very realistically; very often in fiction do you see writers, especially teenage writers, who portray alcoholics and the victims of in such an over-exaggerated way that makes it hard to wrap your head around, and this is not the case at all with your writing. It's believable, and that's something that's hard to do, in my opinion. And I'm really interested in the story Charlie is involved in just based on this, which is also something I think is really hard to do with a piece that's meant as it is simply for development.
I just came here to shower you with praise; I've nothing to say that hasn't already been said.
Keep up the good work!! ^^

Sonder says...

Thank you so much! :)

CuriosityCat says...

Wow! This is amazing! :O I can't wait to read more! :) Please note I do not gush about every new story someone thinks up. ;) Nor do I generally use this many smily faces in a comment. :P
*likes*

Sonder says...

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:36 pm
Transporter23 says...

This was amazing. Liked it very much

Sonder says...

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:34 pm

This reminded me of Percy Jackson, y'know with the abusive, drunken dad type and also he was ADHD... Sorry off track, ANYWAYS I loved your short story, well done!

M̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶e̶m̶i̶g̶o̶d̶

Sonder says...

Well...he's kind of a superpowered freak. He just doesn't know it yet. ;)

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 am
Burrow says...

man that was amazing!

Sonder says...

Thanks dude! :D

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:36 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Hello Night, Flite here for a review. Shorts for character development, hm? I suppose I'm not the only one who likes to develop their characters by writing shorts. So the one thing I've discovered through my writing is that writing these shorts, you have to be very careful as to what you write to actually develop your character. It's the best if these shorts are more slice-of-life short stories that reflects who the character is than actually place them in a situation. So, in this story you haven't actually developed your character much but more like the starting chapter of a novel. Because in this story, you haven't actually gone behind the character and explore their reasons for reacting this way. What you've shown us are very generalized reactions towards a certain situation, I mean what kid wouldn't run away if they've got an abusive father at home? You want to put them in a situation or write a story that reflects whothey are. Qualities that makes them who they are.

Ok, let's move onto the actual writing. I noticed that there isn't that much description in here, however, there is a lot of telling going on. This is basically dialogue after dialogue followed by the protagonist's action. When there is some description it's very cliche description that doesn't say much at all. Instead of saying how Jerry hit Charles, perhaps describe the pain he felt. Both physically and mentally, I noticed that you didn't explore that much of Charles internal emotion to Jerry. Most of them is external. Actually, I felt like most of it was Charles drowning in his own self-pity.

Good to see you're showing Jerry's drunk in his speech. But I'm somewhat dubious as to the reason he got suspended. He sprayed his teacher with shaving cream? That was it? I'm not sure why you went for the shaving cream since it doesn't reveal much about his personality. If anything, it just says that he likes playing jokes on other people. If I were you, I'd actually go for something that reflects who he is, and at the same time provide the reason as to why he did. Kill two birds with one stone.

The same thing goes with the transition between Jerry and his death threat, you need a bit more time between the two scenes maybe actually explain the relationship between Jerry and Charlie a bit more. Because right now, all I'm getting is that Jerry hates Charles because he's a defective kid. There's definitely other reason too, but you didn't provide them here without those. His rage seems a bit arbitrary.

You call his tone factual? I wouldn't call his tone factual, it sounded like it was close to desperation. If it was factual, a few tags that shows his tone or facial expression would be effective. I also want to talk about the connection within the quoted part. What does him talking with a factual have to do with making Jerry see sense? It'd make sense if the factual tone was directed at Jerry, but it wasn't. Watch continuity in your sentences, they're important because that's what glues everything together.

This was what I meant by telling, you also need to vary your sentence beginnings a bit more, you've started every sentence with 'I' followed by a mechanical description of the action. Condense them. Now, I have a problem with this paragraph, logic-wise. If Jerry managed to bash Charles head against the world twice, I'm pretty sure he'd have trouble seeing. But for some reason, suddenly he's gained on strength and managed to tugged on his boots with lightening speed [that is a really cliche description]. So, best to make the way he escaped a bit more realistic.

And I ran.

The way you ended this nagged at me too, it's once again a really typical 'run-away-home-from-abusive-father-and-never-returning-' type of ending. It strikes me as unrealistic too, he's got his head bashed, he's pretty beat up, he's got a heart deficiency and he's running? I'm sure he'd love to run, but more realistically I think he's most likely to be hobbling for his life. You could have actually used the moment when he was deciding to leave to reveal a bit more about him, inside but you closed that scene too quickly.

Alright, that's all. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

-Flite

Sonder says...

Hey Flite, thanks for the review. So the story behind this is (but it's not an excuse, I suppose) that I wrote it for 15in15. I didn't put much effort into detail, true. I have the beginning of this section, which includes a lot of Charlie walking home from school, reflecting upon his actions, and upon his relationship with Jerry. That probably would explain more of the details, I just chose not to post it here. I like the action stuff. Guess I'm not too good at it, seeing your review. >.<
Charles' back story isn't a huge part of my larger plan, but I felt like writing some of it for fun. What do you suggest I do in this situation? I wrote his entire profile, and I know the answers to your questions, but this back story will never officially appear in my story he is involved in. What do you think? Should I expand upon it if it's never going to be officially a story?

Apricity says...

(Dang, YWS didn't give me a notif for this. Otherwise I would have replied a lot sooner.)

Ahh, ok. No, I can understand that, 15min shorts are hard to write. x.x You should see some of my 15mins ones, they're absolutely atrocious. My review was written off the premises you've given us, so as long as you know Charles background inside out, that's fine. But, I'd say if you're writing a short next time try and incorporate as much of that background as you can. Because you as the author knows but we don't, you don't have to info dump it all. Judging by what you have here, I'm confident that you can pull it off.

As for the action, I'm sorry if I was a tag harsh. But I've found this article that basically nails the some of the problem you have.

http://www.standoutbooks.com/writing-a- ... ion-scene/

Hmm, I would say expanding a character's background is entirely up to you. Expanding it would probably mean that you get a better grasp on who Charles is as a character, but if you think you already know him well enough then there's no need. Just another thing, while you're developing your character's backgrounds. Consider how they interconnect with other characters, yeah, because those relationships are important too.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley