12+

Coming Out and Catholic

by RoyalHighness

A/N: This was originally intended as a blog post for my, um, blog, of course. But as I've accepted a job offer that might not be too kind to LGBT folk, I decided to take it down, just in case. But I felt the need to share it nonetheless.

~

Up until a few months ago, I was pretty sure I was straight. I mean, sure, I'd been thinking I might not have been for a few years, but after careful consideration, I decided I could not be gay and that was that.

Then I met my now ex-girlfriend, and all of that went straight (heh) to hell. Along with my soul, according to several religions. So I came out to my friends and family as bisexual, and that was that.

Then I thought some more and talked about it with my straight friends, and realized that no, not everyone counts down the seconds until they can stop kissing their boyfriends. And no, not everyone wants to vomit after doing so.

Huh. Strange.

"Nicolette, maybe you're a lesbian."

Huh.

Now, a lot of people have told me, "Oh, but labels don't matter," and "Don't let people label you!"

But honestly? I'm okay with it.

I love labeling myself. Don't we all? Isn't that, like, the entire reason Buzzfeed quizzes exist?

So after my friends said that to me, I was like, "Yeah, I guess I am. I totally am a lesbian."

We talked a lot about some very personal things that don't need to be shared here, but the gist of it all is that the thought of having sex with men nauseates me and that realization was pretty much my final red flag.

Alright. So, I'm a lesbian.

I haven't yet said those words aloud. I've thought it and written it and typed it, but I've never spoken the words out loud because I'm saving myself.

Get it?

Okay.

Now, we get to the Catholic bit.

I was born and raised Catholic, and when the time came for me to decide to go or stay, I was all in for life. I was considering entering a convent, I dreamed of becoming a saint after I died, and I do stick to all of the Catholic things you do. Like going to church every Sunday and praying every night and going to confession twice a month (oops it's been a while, don't let me forget this weekend).

So when I started questioning my sexuality in my sophomore year of high school, I shut that stuff down immediately.

No way am I gay.

Nope.

Can't be, I'm Catholic.

Besides, even if I was, I don’t think I could ever even think of kissing a girl.

Cue the montage of my five-month relationship with my ex.

The longest and most insane relationship I’ve had up to this point.

How’d I get from Point A to Point B? How did I go from straight to lesbian in a span of, I don’t know, eight or ten months?

It’s a long story, but basically I just did. After a lot of careful thinking and praying and talking and praying some more, I just came to this conclusion.

And that’s the end of the exposition. Now to the good stuff.

People have been asking me to speak at clubs, to write a blog, to get interviewed, etc. about being a Catholic lesbian. For some reason, I seem to be the only lesbian those people know or else they’d be asking a lesbian more suited to those tasks to do them.

But here I am to shut them up.

“How can you be Catholic and gay?”

Not easily. I wish I could just say “Easy! Just chant a few rosaries in between watching The L Word and occasionally cross-dressing.” But it isn’t, or else this blog would be a heck of a lot shorter.

The first little hard part came in rectifying lesbianism to Catholicism.

It started out a lot more difficult than it is now. There was a lot of calling priests and crying and throwing things (mostly my arms around the neck of my then-girlfriend). I just could not reconcile this part of myself to my faith.

I’d spent my entire life building my relationship with God, and here came something to topple it all. I couldn’t let it happen, and I wasn’t about to give up my religion just to do something so trivial as accept myself for who I was.

But I really loved that girl. I knew this wasn’t something that would just go away, even if I wanted it to.

So I talked to a few priests, including one who is just entering the seminary.

And they all said the same thing: as long as there’s no sex involved, there’s nothing wrong with being gay.

So, for me, that just kind of solved it.

I didn’t really have strong feelings about sex in the first place. Only that I knew I couldn’t do it with a man. For me, hearing that was, like, a free ride. No sexual innuendo intended.

For a lot of people, the hard part is in telling their family.

Luckily, I am the exception.

My family is easily the most supportive family to ever grace this earth, and I thank God every single night that I have them, because I couldn’t have survived this without them.

When I came out, I basically just told a roomful of family that I had a girlfriend, and then I left.

My parents called me when I got back to college, and we had a long conversation wherein their message to me was that they were supportive but blindsided, which I could understand.

My big sister called me the next day, making sure that I didn’t fall under the “Bisexual and Depressed,” demographic. I did, but I told her I didn’t.

My brother had already known before I came out, and he and my little sister both had the opinion that I handled coming out poorly.

My brother-in-law and one-year-old niece had little to say on the subject.

The hard part wasn’t really in coming out.

It was afterward, when I was alone with my thoughts, which said anything along the lines of how-could-you-do-this-to-your-loving-parents, and what-if-this-is-a-phase, and this-is-the-kind-of-thing-that-ruins-families. And, the Big Kicker: How Long Have I Been Lying to Them?

The answer to that question, at the time of the Coming Out, was two years. Sophomore year, I knew I had a crush on my best friend, Liane, but I pushed that right out of my mind as hard as I could. I couldn’t, and there were a bunch of nights I spent lying awake, wondering if I was gay.

Oh, Past Me. If only you knew.

The hardest part was knowing I’d kept it from them. The hardest part was answering to myself after realizing who I was. The hardest part was accepting myself in the context of my religion.

“But Nicolette, clearly you’re now very comfortable with being a lesbian. How did you come to accept yourself within the context of being Catholic?”

I’m glad you asked, Theoretical Reader.

I had a very wonderful friend to help me through it. This friend was, coincidentally, going through the exact same thing as I was, so it was very convenient for us both.

Her name is Daisy and she taught me an extremely important lesson in rectifying my sexuality with my religion: love is love is love.

God is Love, and if God is Love, and we have Love, then we have God, and really by then, we don’t need to worry about who’s got Love for whom.

Just as long as it’s there.

(Side note: Now, a lot of people would argue that this is a flimsy argument that could allow for, say, bestiality. But I’m not here to refute those statements. Apply that rule to those, or don’t. But I’m here to say that, while I’m not here to judge who can love what or who, I believe homosexuality and bestiality are not at all the same. And that’s all I’ll say on that. End side note.)

So to all those Catholic lesbians, bisexuals, gays, queers, questioners, asexuals, pansexuals, and so on and so forth—to all inhabitants of the middle circle of the Catholic and gay Venn diagram—please know that love is love is love.

Love your neighbor, or love your partner, or both.

Adhere to the hetero-only sex rule if you want to, or don’t.

But don’t let your religion hinder your ability to love yourself. Don’t let your faith keep you from letting yourself love who you want to love.

God is Love. Love is love is love.

And it’s enough.

Stori says...

Okay, so hopefully I don't derail the whole thread here. I wanted to say, it makes no sense to equate being gay (you "love" women, so why bother with the bi label?) with your identity? It's what you are, and what's important is who you are. You don't introduce yourself by saying, "I'm a Lesbian"; no, you say, "I'm Nicolette". Right?

"Love is love"? Well, yes, but romantic love is much different from brotherly love- which is what Jesus and His disciples preached. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that homosexuality is acceptable before God. So naturally you would feel uncomfortable trying to be Catholic and a lesbian both.

Sorry; I know this isn't the debate forum. I'll echo Waffle in saying "I don't have to agree with what you're doing to love you as a person."

It's funny you mention that, because I was /just/ talking to a friend of mine (the just-about-to-enter-seminary friend) and he was saying the same thing! Being gay does not an entire person make; it's a part of who I am, but it's not Who I Am. And I'm beginning to realize that, with a lot of prayer and thought. So I totally get that.
The whole part about it being wrong in the Bible is absolutely valid. I'm not ignoring it. It's definitely there. But the way it was explained to me by several priests was that as long as sex isn't happening, being gay is not a sin.
So I was like, "Well that's fine, 'cause I don't even care that much about sex anyway-- I just won't have any with women! Problem solved!" I'm still figuring it out, but that's pretty much where I'm at so far.
Thank you for being so cool and honest and open! It really means a lot to me to see people who stick to their values while being loving about it. That's all I want to do, so you and Waffle have given me great examples to follow. Thank you for commenting- I know it's scary to share your views when there's a whole thread of people who have a different opinion. I wasn't really expecting a debate or anything, but you've contributed positively and I so appreciate it! Much love <3

Thu May 26, 2016 5:01 am
JuliaCatop wrote a review...

Hello! I come from a pretty agnostic family, with no particular religion being pushed upon me, and I'm grateful for how accepting my family is. I'm not too sure what my sexuality is, I've dated girls and I've dated guys, and it's all been pretty good. I think I just love people, and I think that's one of the best things that I enjoy about myself. I'm not too sure what you mean when you say hetero only sex is something you must do. If you enjoy your body, and enjoy the body of another, I don't see why you shouldn't share something so wonderful and vibrant. Yet, as I was not raised catholic, I am in no place to judge you for choosing to not have sex with your partners, as asexuality is completely valid. I do think that you should pursue figures or people past priests, just to widen your horizons on the whole concept. Sex is scary, it's this weird vulnerable thing that has sometimes left me crying. At the same time, it can be fun and messy and enjoyable.
Of course of course of course, I am not judging you for abstaining, and I really admire you for what you've realized about yourself and about people.

Love is love is love, and I loved this piece of writing.
Thank you.

Julia

The whole hetero-only sex rule is a Catholic rule. I obey it because I love my faith, and I consider homosexual sex to be a sin (in my case anyway, I'm not going around telling gay people not to have sex; it's just /my/ choice, y'know?). So my whole thing is that if I don't want to have sex with men, but my faith (the faith that I love) says sex with women (which is what I would prefer) is sinful, then I'm just going to abstain since it's not a big deal to me either way. I'm sure sex is great! I just don't care if I have it or not, basically.
Anyway. This has been an awesome back-and-forth about sex, and I'm really just I really so appreciate people commenting with love and their ideas, so thank you so much for contributing! <3 Much love

Thu May 26, 2016 1:14 am
deathwave1 wrote a review...

Hey! I really enjoyed this. I was raised agnostic, so I can't really relate personally to the religious aspect of it, but I found the overall message of the piece uplifting and positive. You take on a very heavy and serious subject and manage to mix in some humor without it seeming inappropriate, which makes for a fun read. I salute you for this, and I'm glad you found a way to accept yourself and retain your faith.

Konijn wrote a review...

Hello! I, as both a Christian and Bisexual, can relate quite a lot to this. I realized I fancied women and ended up coming out to both friends and family, but because I am a Christian, it's been really hard to find a way to live with both sides of me. I thank you very very much for writing this. It feels pretty great to know I'm not the only one living like this, because at times I did feel that way.

I really wish I could review this piece properly but.. I'm just in awe of the fact of how well you worded this. I feel almost as if you've written out my own life, and that's pretty amazing. Well, I'll leave it off here. Please keep writing. I sincerely look forward to reading more from you.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. It's always good to remember you're not alone!

Tue May 24, 2016 1:48 am
PancakeandWaffle wrote a review...

Hey! This is pretty moving. I'm a Christian, I'm straight, I'm against LGBT+, but that doesn't mean you mean any less to me than any other human being that is equal to me. I believe that God made man equal. It's my religion. Since I was an infant, I have been taught the ways of a Christian. My parents have never pushed religion on me, so EVERYTHING I believe in is what I believe, not what someone has forced me to believe. What I want you and everyone. In the LGBT+ community is that I do not need to agree with what you are doing to love you. I love everyone! But that certainly DOES NOT mean I have to agree with you. I love you, and I appreciate you sharing your story with us. I appreciate you. Thank you for bringing reality to the lot of us.
Best of luck,
Waffle~

Thank you Waffle! I'm the same way; my parents didn't push it on us, so everything I carry with me from my faith is what I truly believe. It's good to have an ally like you who sticks to their values while keeping the love alive. You give me hope! Thank you for your comment!

Mooilky wrote a review...

This is a beautiful post. I am bisexual and just coming out of a relationship with a man who was not very good to me. What this will mean for my sexuality in the future I do not as of yet know.
I do know that I'm a cradle Catholic who has since abandoned my religion because I could not consolidate my religion and my lifestyle.
While I may not be a practicing Catholic I do think my upbringing has a huge impact on my ideologies. I like to think of myself as a lifestyle Catholic even if all the believing stuff gets muddy.
This was very calming and affirming to read for me.
Love is love is love, is kind of what I'd already been telling myself without using so many words.

The format is easy to read and the content is deep. I really enjoy your writing style, it's very personal and lighthearted. The ending is particularly strong.

Thank you for your comment! I really appreciate it.
If you need anyone to talk to at all, feel free to message me. Gay buddies!

Resistance is futile.
— The Borg