Home » Literary works » Short Story » Realistic

Rosemary

by Rosewood

Created this from a prompt idea, (exact prompt on my wall), and it was mainly to get my creative juices flowing. If it wasn't good, please don't be too harsh!

"Care to share?"

Surprised, I choke on a piece of carrot. "R-rosemary, you c-can't just sneak up on me!"

She slaps me on the back with unusual force. "Better?"

I scrunch up my face in disgust. "I'm just peachy. What do you want?"

"A carrot. I ain't got nothing."

I give a small, regretful smile. "Sorry, that was my last one."

"Real funny, I know you's got more in your lunch sack." She grabs my lunch box and pulls out to show me the half-full bag with a buck-toothed grin.

"Hey! Hasn't anyone told you not to steal?" I snatch my lunch box back and give her a nasty look. "What are you doing at my lunch table?"

She shrugs, sending a current through her tangled, green hair, "Beats sittin' alone. Hey, you should sit with me tomorrow - I dare you!"

I want to tell her there's a reason she sits alone everyday and why I most certainly won't. With her strange colored hair, large eyes and teeth, and homemade patch dresses, she's quite a sight to see. People probably could've tolerated her, but with that funny way of speaking and her uncultured habits, most tended to avoid her. I don't know why, but she always follows me around like a lost puppy. I absolutely hate it.

"No thanks. Anyway, I'm done." I zip up my lunch box and pat down my skirt. I make a point of tossing out the bag of carrots, but she doesn't react.

"Where you off to next?", she chirps, skipping to my side, "Bet you my thumbs that I'd be heading there too!"

"Ew, I'm going to the bathroom."'

"Guess I'll wait then."

"No, you go to class. I don't need a babysitter."

"Never said I was! See you next period then."

As soon as she is out of earshot, I let out a stressed groan. Why does she follow me so much? It's annoying and just plain weird.

The day passes as usual, but when the final bell has rung, I notice that I haven't seen her since the bathroom incident. 

"Have you gotten rid of the rag doll?", my friend Alice teases me as we pack up our bags.

"I haven't seen her for awhile, think she's finally gotten the message?"

"You wish, bet she realized how uninteresting you are."

I pretend to be insulted, but ultimately, I'm grateful. It's hard to concentrate at school when you have someone breathing down your neck half the time. When the teacher gives the signal, my homeroom exits the building in loud hordes and I'm not ashamed to admit I was rowdier than usual.

"Did you hear that?"

Alice tugs my the sleeve of my sweater to get my attention. I turn mid-sentence, and grin. "Yeah?"

"Behind the building, there was a sound."

"And?" We're falling behind, and soon, we'll be left. More importantly, I'll lose my other friends' attention.

"Yeah, it's just... never mind." She runs ahead, ignoring it altogether.

I scrunch up my eyebrows, and wonder what made her change her mind so quickly. I look back to see what she could've seen and heard. After a moment, I start walking away when I hear the loud clanking sound of a chain link fence and a soft whimper. I think about forgetting the whole thing, but I've already been left behind. What's the harm?

I peek around the corner to see a kid I know named Derek and few others talking with Rosemary. No... they're not talking. With the nervous look on the girl's face and the dominating posture of Derek and two other boys, they can't just be talking with her.

One boy, a wicked smile on his face creeps around Rosemary and grabs her from behind, shoving her face into the fence. She's not saying much at all, but takes it all with a look of deathly fear on her face.

Derek gives the girl a look, and the girl produces scissors from her backpack. It's the first time I see her smile, and I hope to God it's the last. Derek snickers and pulls her hair out in a way that must be painful. I hear the snip, snip as he lops off a good six inches of her now strangely beautiful green hair. There are tears in her eyes as she sees that it now ends at her shoulders.

"You're welcome," One boy spits at her.

Two of them shove her and she loses her balance, falling backwards into a trash bin with a loud thud. The group look around, making sure no one was around, and tramp out the back way.

Speechless, and unsure of what to do, I stand watching Rosemary pull herself up, wincing. She regards the clumps of hair on the ground with a look of reverence before depositing them into the trash can. She then wipes the dirt from her crumpled dress and dries her tears. She make look better, but I can hear her muffled sniffles. When she retrieves her backpack, slung against the fence, I notice she's coming my way.

I hurry away, pulling out my phone to look busy.

"Oh, you're still here!"

I nod, trying to look nonchalant. "What's with your hair?"

She shrugs, and gives me a small smile. "I thought it needed a nice cut, but seems that wasn't the right path."

I notice how easily she lies. I hesitantly test a theory of mine. "So... your hair can't have been green always. What made you dye it?"

She stops, puzzled with the question. "Thought it might look pretty. Why?"

I bite my lip. "No one told you to dye it?"

We make eye contact and she realizes the gravity of my words. "Salt and pepper."

"What?"

"I was salt and pepper blonde. Naturally, at least. They poured dye in a toilet and shoved my head in. Said it looked better on me. Nothing I could do would get it out."

I let out a shaky breath I'd been holding. "You want to come over to my house?"

She looks at me, both surprised and frightened by my words. "Your house?"

"Yeah," I smile at her, "I know just the thing to get you hair back to normal."

She nods at me, smiling brighter than I'd ever seen her. We begin to talk like friends, this time, real friends.

rida wrote a review...

Hi! I absolutely love this short story, I felt really sad about what happened to her, nobody cared about her, but in the end I felt really happy she was going to have a true friend at last. Friends don’t care how you look, from where you are, or how rich you are. True friends know the real you, they know how talented you are, and, if you ask me,those who have true friends should consider themselves lucky. But, enough about all that, sorry, I read this story and, you know, how it’s written, I think the way you wrote it is really professional, but, you could have made a better name, not ‘Rosemary’, but overall, I loved this story.
Keep writing. :)

Rosewood says...

Thank you! As for the name, this was from a prompt, (that I posted on my wall), and I couldn't think of a use for the word 'rosemary' other than a name.

Valkyria wrote a review...

Hello Rosemary,

I really enjoyed this story. The protagonist goes through nice character development in the end. This is a creative piece you wrote from that prompt you posted on your wall. Even though this is a short story, the characters are fleshed out, and I can connect to them.

We begin to talk like friends, this time, real friends.

I think this sentence would fit better without the first comma.

The ending is wholesome.

Great job!

Rosewood says...

Thank you for your feedback!

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 am
ThreeBeanzInATux wrote a review...

Hi there!

I really like this. For something you wrote to get your creative juices flowing, this is spectacular. I can only imagine what you'd write when you're actually in the zone. Aside from putting emphasis on the word 'want' like Vulcanite said, there's nothing to really adjust or change with this. I just really enjoy the character development towards the end of it, that was really sweet and wholesome. It made me kinda soft honestly >.<...

Anywho, thanks for this beautiful piece and Happy writing!<3

Rosewood says...

Thank you so much!

Vulcanite wrote a review...

Hi @Rosewood I'm here to do a short review on this short story of yours, so lets get right into it.
first of for someone hew just sort of put this together, to just get the cogs moving, it pretty good, this is like the way I used to write way back when I first started writing my very first story, and I was trying, *whispers* it was bad.

I want to tell her there's a reason she sits alone everyday and why I most certainly won't.

one thing not to be to critical, but just want to say that the word in bold, I just think maybe it should be wanted in stead of want, I just think it'll fit better with the line. also I want to just say I also agree with what @spunkyspacekitty said in her review, you really did do a pretty good job of this. Lol when I read the name Rosemary, I just automatically think of the real bush that grows out in the garden, all of the smells even come to me as well. Anyways I really liked this, I no this is a short story, but I really think it should be chapter one of something that will turn into a book later.

So again loved reading this, and I really hope to here more from you. :D

I hope that you have a great Day/Night

@Vulcanite siring over the green room sparing shards of reviews as she went

Rosewood says...

Aw thank you! I will consider changing it, to be sure! Also, I've noticed that people have been asking my to create books based off of my short stories, but the reason I make them short is because, I want the majority of my focus to be on my actual novels I'm writing, (not on the website because I want to publish them). But, I have been considering releasing a few chapters of my non-publish related books, and if you want, I'll tag you when they comes out!

Vulcanite says...

I totally understand, also I would love to be tagged. :) thanks for asking.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 am
spunkyspacekitty wrote a review...

Hi Rosewood!

Wow! I really love this story! Rosemary goes from being someone the protagonist dislikes to someone who understands her. Even though this is a pretty short story, you did a really good job at making me feel like I knew Rosemary and the protagonist. That's pretty hard to do in a short story. Good job!

Spunkyspacekitty

Rosewood says...

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White