The Next Steps to Protecting Democracy

by Riverlight

"On January 6, 2021 a violent mob attacked the United States Capitol to obstruct the process of our democracy and stop the counting of presidential electoral votes. This insurrection caused injury, death and destruction in the most sacred space in our Republic,” Congresswoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyoming) said as she explained her support for impeaching former President Trump. “There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution.”

In the days and weeks since the insurrectionists stormed the Capitol Building, we have watched a historic, bipartisan impeachment trial come and go. 50 Democrats and 7 Republicans voted to convict Trump, but it wasn’t enough to take him down. Now, it is up to Americans to make sure that this never happens again.

Donald Trump ruined America’s 231-year-old record of peaceful transfers of power and has escaped unscathed, setting a dangerous precedent for future presidents. We can change this and make sure that never again is an official allowed to escape justice. I propose that a new amendment to the Constitution be passed that prevents people opposing the peaceful transfer of power be impeached and permanently barred from future federal office.

Such an amendment would not prevent politicians from questioning voting numbers; instead, it would prevent future political violence regarding election results. Opponents may argue that as it has only happened once under a polarizing figure (or, as a few conclude, that the insurrection was not the former president’s fault), such an amendment would be a waste of time as it has only happened once. I will remind those opponents that we had a one-in-a-century pandemic once and that it is happening again.

I believe that the amendment should be worded as follows:

1. Congress shall require that all sitting and former federal officials submit to the peaceful transfer of power and do not incite violence caused by disagreements regarding elections. Officials that do not meet these requirements must be impeached and barred from future office. If Congress does not comply, officials rejecting impeachment and punishment shall be deducted pay for a period no less than 6 years. If the official or officials in question are no longer in office, they shall be subject to Section II.
  2. Persons not in the federal government shall be fined no less than $50,000 and imprisoned for a period no less than 5 years for violently opposing the peaceful transfer of power. If they are a federal official that has left office, they will be fined a sum no less than $150,000 and imprisoned for no less than 10 years. For persons with families, a portion of the fines shall be returned to their respective families. Additionally, for each dependent in those families, a sum of $750 a week shall be given to keep them fed, clothed, and in good health until the accused is returned home or they reach the age of 18.

I believe that a supermajority of Americans can get behind this. If we truly want to protect our democracy, this is a step that we must take. Join me in taking the next steps to protect our democracy for all Americans, and we can make a difference.

Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

This piece was incredibly inspiring. I don't think the whole capitol insurrection/Trump's impeachment will be leaving the mind of any American any time soon. You do a great job at encapsulating both denouncing the actions of the past while providing a call to action and a more uplifting and hopeful take at the end. I thought this was an incredibly powerful piece of writing.

One thing I loved about this piece was how much it made me realize about our country. The part especially where you drafted the amendment was so striking. It kinda made me realize that the reason we don't have a law for this in the first place is because it's so terrible that no one would ever think about doing it in the first place. It's one of those things that's just kinda implied in being a gracious human being: if you lose, don't rally your supporters and stage a violent coup on a government building. It should have gone without saying. It should have, but it didn't. And it's so terrible.

One thing I wondered was what you intend to do with this piece. It kind of read like a persuasive essay/editorial, but it was on the shorter side. I wondered if you could perhaps expand it, like the other review mentioned, providing more references/points to convince your readers.

Other than that, I think this was a well structured piece about a topic you really care about! I completely agree with you 100% about the whole "insurrection" thing; it's kinda scary that Trump could still run for office. For sake of not ending this review on a bad note: keep up the amazing writing/interest in politics!! I'm sure you'll achieve great things.

Riverlight says...

Thanks, Plume! c:

I intend to add a bit more length to it and then submit it to some state magazines and news sites to see if anyone will publish it. If not, I'll have to reorganize this as a letter, make 538 copies, and send them to every member of Congress, the President, the Vice President, and the Chief of Staff. Someone's got to listen, right? XD

Plume says...

YES. YOU DO THAT. (You can't hear it, but I'm applauding you. With a drive like that, you're going places in the world.)

Riverlight says...

(Aw, thanks c:)

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 pm
illy7896 wrote a review...

This is very well informed essay with a lot of references and terms which is effective in persuading the reader and getting across your point. However, could you add more detail as to what the former president did? This essay is very good, but I would recommend adding more facts about the backstory behind what happened- this would encourage more people to get on your side and additionally provide the opportunity for your audience to have their own, independent opinion. Could you perhaps explain it in further context? How many lives were lost that day? What are the consequences of what happened? Could you write this in such a way like teaching somebody about something that they have never heard of. Some people may not know what happened that day, and would be unsure as to what they are agreeing to. If they are given the exact knowledge of it, people would be more willing to support your policies. Maybe you could relate to them or add some rhetorical questions to make them think about the consequences of that even.

Could you extend on this quote?

I hope this helps and well done on this article.

Riverlight says...

Thanks for the review! c:

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon