February 2021 Survey Results

by Riverlight

This morning, I ended the 2021 YWS Poll. There were 38 respondents and 7 different questions. Based on the responses of the previous survey, the questions were modified so as to contain less bias. The results of this survey will allow me to analyze how YWS has changed since I published the results of the first survey on October 21, 2021. You can read those results here.

My Hypothesis:

Based upon the results of the original survey, the national mood, and the ages of the respondents, YWS will overall remain left of center, approve of Biden's presidency (above an average score of 5), disapprove of the Capitol riots, think unity is an important part of the President's agenda, and consider that the COVID-19 pandemic may potentially end during the Bide presidency.

Question 1: How would You describe your political affiliation?

This is a standard, generic questions most surveys have so as to help determine how a group leans politically. There was not a majority, though a plurality (26.3%, or 10 respondents) identified as Democrats. The next largest group (21.1%, or 8 respondents) identified as Center Left. Liberals made up 13.2%, or 5 respondents, and thus placed third. 5.2% (2 respondents) replied with "middle-ground liberal" and "independent progressive" and thus were not grouped into any of these three groups. Altogether, this creates (in theory) a politically left majority of 65.8%, or 25 respondents.

The minority consists of a coalition of Republicans (10.5%, or 4 respondents), Libertarians (7.9%, or 3 respondents), Conservatives 7.9%), (Constitutional (2.6%, or 1 respondent), and Center Right (2.6%). There was also one Centrist. This minority makes up 34.2%, or 13 respondents.

This disproves a portion of my initial hypothesis-- I believed that YWS would lean to the left. However, 65.8% compared to 34.2% leaves a gap of 31.6 points. That is no small margin, and it is not one easily ignored. This, however, should not have been surprising to me, given that 64.5% chose to be apart of a left wing majority in the original survey. I will take this into account for future surveys.

Question 2: Which of the following describes your gender?

42.1% (or 16) respondents were female. 26.3% (10) were male. 15.8% (6) preferred not to say. The remaining 15.6% responded as "agender," "unsure," or "nonbinary."

Question 3: Which of the following best describes you?

42.1% of respondents were under the age of 18.  31.6% (12) were between the ages of 18 and 24. 10.5% (4) were between the ages of 25 and 30. 5.3% (2) were between the ages of 30 and 40. The remaining 10.5% preferred not to say. This is in line with my hypothesis that the political responses of respondents would be in line with their ages, given that younger survey takers have typically given similar responses.

Question 4: Do you approve the actions of the violent mob at the Capitol on January 6, 2021

84.2% (32 respondents) chose "no." This was one of the two the largest margins of agreement in the entire survey. 10.5% (4 respondents) chose "some actions more than others." 2.6% (1) chose "yes"; the remaining 2.6% preferred not to say. Given that the actions January 6 were so extreme, I was frankly surprised that there was a person on YWS that approved of what happened. This is in line with my hypothesis,

Question 5: How would you describe the Biden presidency as it currently stands on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being "worst" and 10 being "best"?

Based on the scores given by respondents, President Biden has a score of 6.4 after it is rounded to the nearest tenth. 52.7% either answered with an 8 or a 7, pulling his score higher compared to some of his lower scores (there was a 1, two 3s, three 4s, and four 5s). This is also in line with my hypothesis; it is also in line with the national approval rating of President Biden, which currently sits at 54.% among likely and registered voters according to 538.

Question 6: Do you feel like President Biden is making unity an important factor in his presidency?

Again, 84.2% (32) respondents all came to the same conclusion, albeit under a different question. 15.8% (6) respondents again disagreed, although they had two choices instead of several different ones. This, too, is ultimately in line with my hypothesis.

Question 7: Do you believe the COVID-19 pandemic will end in Biden's first term?

Three were three options for this question-- yes, no, and maybe. I have classified the respondents into three groups with this question, the Realists, the Pessimists, and the Optimists, and cast them in comparison to previous crises at the start of presidencies.

The Pessimists

The Pessimists are the smallest group, making up 13.2%, or 5 respondents. Based on the results of Questions 4 and 6, I suspect that they may be apart of the minorities from those questions, and also that they may potentially be members of the Right Wing minority.

The Optimists

At the start of every presidency, there is a large portion of the American population that tends to be extremely optimistic. This group tends to be the strongest group of supporters of the new president. Given the current crisis and the results of vaccination efforts, things have slowly been improving, resulting in a portion of the population remaining extremely optimistic. I suspect that this second largest group (34.2%, or 13 respondents) are members of the Leftist Coalition.

The Realists

The Realists are the most realistic of the three groups. They have a bipartisan majority of 52.6%, or 20 respondents. Given how long former President Trump took to act against the virus and how slow vaccine distribution under the Biden administration has been, this group is not committed to saying yes nor no, but remains hopeful yet skeptical.

Overall Results:

My hypothesis was mostly correct, but I had underestimated the power of a large number of respondents and how that would impact the political leanings of YWS. I was surprised by the margins of a left wing coalition given the rise in participation, and was also surprised that someone approved of the Capitol riots on January 6, 2021.

I enjoyed writing this essay and doing this survey. I'll set up a new one in a few months, just in time to see what further effects the Biden administration has on the COVID-19 pandemic, the economy, and the political beliefs of YWS and America alike.

Stellarjay wrote a review...

Hello Scribe,
I have never reviewed survey results, so let's see how this goes!

Roses
- The article was interesting to read, I liked how you varied the sentence lengths and used lot's of fun adjectives.
- The article was also very informative.

Buds

the COVID-19 pandemic may potentially end during the Bide presidency.

You missed an 'n' in Biden.

This is a standard, generic questions

There shouldn't be an 's' on questions because you are currently only talking about one.

- I would suggest explaining these terms in the survey and the article: left-wing, right-wing, liberal, democratic, republic and conservative. It will help people understand a little bit more what the results mean and will (hopefully) encourage more people to take the survey if they are able to easily identify with a different party.

- In question 4 you stated your question in an almost biased view point. (You also need a question mark, but that doesn't matter.)
Do you approve the actions of the violent mob at the Capitol on January 6, 2021

I would recommend omitting the word 'violent' because when people read that word of course they are going to tick 'no'. So to avoid 'biased' or 'influenced' results, try not to use strong adjectives.

- The wording in the explanation for question 5 was a little confusing and could use some more details.

albeit under a different question.

What was the other question?

although they had two choices instead of several different ones.

What were the choices?

- In question 7 you had a little typo
Three were three options for this question-

It should be 'there' instead of 'three'.

Your article was nice to read and very informative. Besides the few typos and such, it was well written. It will be interesting to see how the results change in the next few months! I hope this review was helpful. Keep on writing and have a great rest of your day!

- Stellarjay

Riverlight says...

Thanks for getting this out of the Green Room ^-^

Stellarjay says...

np!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:02 pm
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

I found this really interesting! I don't normally have a mind for data and research papers, but the way you formatted this made it really simple to read. I think a lot of the data was super interesting, and I feel like I've learned a lot.

One thing I really enjoyed that you did was put in your own personal reactions to the poll results. Normally, in a professional research paper, you're supposed to remain objective, but I really liked those personal touches. I thought it helped set the tone for it, which was like... a step down from formal. It really fits into the whole vibe of this site, where you can be serious but also just have fun. I thought it gave it a nice touch, and also put in a little element of persuasion in there as well. Nicely done!

One thing I wondered about was if there were any other conclusions or correlations to be drawn from the data. I've never run a poll on YWS before, so I don't know if you can see individual's responses or if it's just data on the whole, but if it's the former, it would be interesting to see how participant's responses stacked up against each other. For example, does gender identity have anything do to with political beliefs, or no? You could also include other questions, like age and/or religion to see if those have an impact as well.

I also wondered if you made sure the participants were from the US, or if this was just an assessment of everyone inside YWS. I think that if you let everyone take the survey, maybe you could have included a question to see whether the person responding lives in the US or no, and what effect that would have on the data.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist pointing out a few typos. They really aren't important. You can ignore this part if you want, it's just... my English-focused brain couldn't ignore them.

...and consider that the COVID-19 pandemic may potentially end during the Bide presidency.

You misspelled Biden as "Bide."

This, however, should not have been surprising to me, given that 64.5% chose to be apart of a left wing majority in the original survey.

"Apart" should be "a part."

Overall: nice work! I thought this data was super interesting, and the fact that you're so interested in politics gives me hope for the future of this country. Looking forward to the next poll you do!

Riverlight says...

Thanks for the review!!

I can actually take a look at how race/gender identity/other factors affect a groups political beliefs from the previous survey; in this one, I can only look at how gender identity may have influenced someone's beliefs. It'd take a little while, but that'd be interesting to look at!

I did have a US citizenship question on the first survey (it was within one of the questions, I didn't explicitly ask that-- I'd have to go back and look :P-- but I removed it from this one though I can't remember why XD

Thanks for the review c:

We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer