12+

Time?

by Physarumpolycephalum

Time?

Why do great poets die under the dust

And brilliant songbirds in cages are thrust

Why do our heroes age like milk in the sun

Dreaded by those whose battles they won?

Peter’s uncle was right, all those years ago;

Brilliant summers turn to winter and snow

Spring changes to autumn, the living to dead

Time leads you in circles and fixes your head.

Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:00 pm
EllieMae wrote a review...

Time for a Black Cat Review!!

MEOW! Hello, friend! My name is Ellie and today I will be reviewing using my very own Black Cat Review Method! It is very similar to the incredible YWS S'more Method but I have Halloween-ified it and made it spooky! My little black cat friend, Vladimir, wants to offer his opinion on your amazing literary piece:

Mystical Witch Hat - What I See, Observe, and Interpret

I love this poem! I enjoyed the flow of it greatly! Lets get right into it:

Why do great poets die under the dust

I love this. Why do amazing people go unnoticed? Why are they hidden and unseen, when what they create could help so many people? Those with the most beautiful and valuable voices are unnoticed in our busy world, unfound by those who could help them be heard.

I love the feeling of a spinning, constant cycle that this poem gives. Despite what we do, or try to do, life continues onward, never stopping. Winter, spring, summer, and fall, continue without our control. We live, we die, and we have no say over what happens to us and to others.

Vladimir’s Advice - Suggestions for Improvement

I wonder if you could use commas at the ends of the lines? This is not needed, but maybe it would help with your formatting? Since you do use semicolons and periods. This was beautifully well done!

Jack O’Lanterns - My Favourite Parts and Praises

I love these two lines:

Asking questions makes poetry so much more engaging. Well done!

I also really enjoyed your rhyming scheme in this poem. It flowed so well. Sun and won fit greatly.

Black Cat Cuddles - Concluding Ideas and Thoughts

Thanks for sharing this masterpiece! It was a short, but powerful poem. Well done, friend!

Sincerely,
Ellie

I hope you have a spook-tastical day, filled with black cat mischief!

Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:48 pm
Youbeaucupid wrote a review...

Good Morning writer! My name is Cupid, and welcome to YWS we're glad to have you here!! <3 Thought I'd fly over a quick review for you, let's get started!

So first of all, I love how your poem evokes a sense of contemplation and reflection upon the unyielding passage of time. Your opening lines immediately captured my attention by questioning the mortality great poets and the constraint of brilliant songbirds in cages, hinting at the and limitations placed upon creativity and expression.

The following lines also delve deeper into the theme of time, and omg, your use of vivid imagery to depict the inevitable decay and aging that both heroes and those they have influenced is absolutly wonderful!! The reference to Peter's uncle adds a touch, connecting the abstract concept of time to individual experience and memories. The shift from summers to winter, spring to autumn, highlights the cyclical nature of, where everything eventually fades and changes. (I love that imagery!)

The closing line:

"Time leads in circles and fixes your head,"

encapsulates the essence of your poem, suggesting that time governs and shapes our lives, leaving a lasting impact on our minds perceptions.

Overall, your poem prompts a beautiful reflection on mortality and the transient nature of existence, successfully capturing the any reader's attention with its thought-provoking questions and poignant imagery. Well done writer!

I can't wait to read more of your writing's, also we're happy to have you at YWS great to see new faces everyday!

Fly high writer, Cupid.

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown