Night

by Physarumpolycephalum

Night, 

The night is a cold and dark fickle thing

it hides behind ice and creeps in with spring

when life becomes life as its winter grave thaws

night’s silver cat creeps behind on soft paws.

The night in December is subdued and unknown

it waits through dark winter to collect on its loan,

what terror? in dark reigns that never do end,

when fear likes hiding in shadows that bend?

Evening begins with a show made of light

the bright western tapestry heralds the night

a daily hello from the sun to the moon

torn in two by a starry harpoon.

Black becomes white, warmth leaves the cold

when you reach out your fingers, there’s nothing to hold

light’s an embrace, not a five-fingered hand

on which side of its coin will this next evening land?

Night is your friend and your enemy too

did white turn to black, or did it turn blue?

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:41 pm
EllieMae wrote a review...

Time for a Black Cat Review!!

MEOW! Hello, friend! My name is Ellie and today I will be reviewing using my very own Black Cat Review Method! It is very similar to the incredible YWS S'more Method but I have Halloween-ified it and made it spooky! My little black cat friend, Vladimir, wants to offer his opinion on your amazing literary piece:

Mystical Witch Hat - What I See, Observe, and Interpret

Right from the start, this is an incredible stong piece of poetry! I love your writing voice so much. I want to say, the rhyme of thaws and paws really caught my attention. I love the line of night being described as a cat, creeping behind on its soft paws. The description is astounding!

I absolutely LOVE when people ask questions in poetry. The hidden questions, as well as the obviously stated one in this section. Asking “what terror” also caught my attention. The line about waiting through a dark winter to collect its loan is gorgeous!!

And right here:

I love the use of black vs white to show us the contrast. Warmth leaves to cold, seriously so beautiful! The feeling of wanting something so desperately, but not being able to get it is strong for me in this part of the poem.
Vladimir’s Advice - Suggestions for Improvement

The only thing i want to comment on is your use of commas and periods. Some lines have commas at the end, while others do not. I feel that it may look better if you add commas more consistently, but this is totally up to you and how you feel! Just thought id mention it :D

Jack O’Lanterns - My Favourite Parts and Praises

My favourite part were these two lines:

Night is your friend and your enemy too

Besides this amazing use of symbolism throughout the whole piece and the nature-like feeling, your rhyme scene is AMAZING! I love love love to write rhyming poetry. Please tell me your tips and tricks to be this good :D
Black Cat Cuddles - Concluding Ideas and Thoughts

Thanks so much for the amazing poem!!

sincerely,
ellie

I hope you have a spook-tastical day, filled with black cat mischief!

Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:46 pm
Youbeaucupid wrote a review...

Good morning Writer! Thought I'd fly over a review for you, let's get to it! (I am doing my own twist on the YWS s'mores theme again, so happy new years! ✨)

🔢 Counting Down to New Beginnings: First Impression:

I love how you always find a good way to draw your readers in with your imagery, the opening lines of your poem immediately draws the reader into atmosphere of the night. The contrast between the cold and darkness creates a sense mystery and intrigue. When you mentioned the night hiding behind ice and creeping in with spring adds such depth to the portrayal of the night and I'm living for it!. Your use of personification, such as referring to the night as a "cat" creeping on soft paws, further enhances the vividness of the imagery.

📝 Setting Resolutions: Room Improvements!

Your poem is written well and the grammar is solid. One suggestion for improvement would be to strengthen consistency in the use of metaphors throughout the poem. While some metaphors are strong and impactful, there are moments where the metaphoric language feels slightly disjoint. I feel like it'll create a smoother reading experience. But overall, well-done!

Shining night stars: Highlights of Piece

I feel like you always find such creative ways to put imagery into your writing! Like one of lines highlight and creates vivid portrayal of the night. The comparison of the night in December to something " subdued and unknown" captures the unique atmosphere of this time of year. You mention the night waiting through dark winter to collect on its loan adds an intriguing sense of anticipation and mystery. The question posed about the terrors that may hide in dark reigns and shadows adds a sense of unease and further builds the atmosphere of the poem. (How do you write imagery so well?! Give me the secret sauce! 〒▽〒)

🎆 Fireworks of Emotion: Favorite lines!

"The night is a cold and dark fickle thing"

This line is particularly captivating to me, it really displays the strength of your imagery. The juxtaposition of the bright western tapestry and the star harpoon creates a powerful visual of the transition from daylight to night, where the is pierced and torn by the stars. It brings a sense of dramatic beauty to the poem! ✨

"Night is your friend and your enemy too, did white to black, or did it turn blue?"

EEEK! These closing lines left me with so many questions! The dual nature of the night is captured in this simple yet impactful statement. I'm trying to contemplate whether white to black, or did it turn blue? adds to the uncertainty and dichotomy of the night, leaving the reader to reflect their own interpretation!! (Questions, questions, questions!!)

🥂 A Toast to the Future: Closing thoughts

I think overall, your poem successfully creates an atmosphere of mystery and transformation through its vivid imagery metaphoric language. Keep on writing, and inspiring others . Happy writing and may the New Year you continued inspiration and literary accomplishments!

Fly high writer, Cupid 💘

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal