z

Young Writers Society


12+

Hunted -- Prologue

by Noelle


56.964

The falling sun set fire to that thick haze across the valley. Most of the day had been filled with the cries of war. Now there was a silence replacing it. The noise, however, still echoed in the sorceress’s ears. No matter how she tried to dispel it they would not leave her; clanging swords, hooves pounding into the ground, wailing soldiers clinging to the last breaths of life. She would never forget what had happened here.

She made her way across the valley, walking only fast enough to remain silent. The enemy was still hunting them. If she was found before she was able to complete the spell, then there would have been no reason for the battle. And she would not have those souls on her conscious.

More time was passing than she had hoped for. Her eyes darted across the valley as she walked, desperate to find the king. He was supposed to be there long ago. If something happened to him she knew that she could not live with it.

A hand grasped her shoulder. Still in fighting mode, she spun and held out her palm, already hot with a crippling spell. But when she saw who it was she snuffed it out. The king was alive and well.

“Don’t make me wait again.”

“I apologize,” he responded. “There were far more wounded than it seemed.”

The news deflated her. “We should not have started this. It was foolish.”

“No, it wasn’t.” He placed his hand under her chin and slowly lifted it up. A warmness spread through him. “We did what we had to. There are always consequences to war. Soldiers know that and take on the burden willingly.” She nodded, although wasn’t quite sure she was okay with the idea.

A horn sounded from the hill behind them. The sorceress flinched; it was the sound of surrender. The kingdom she spent every waking minute protecting was surrendering.

“Did you order this?”

The king hesitated. It was long enough that his answer was apparent. He didn’t need to explain, but he did anyway. “We would have been completely destroyed. I won’t lose my kingdom.”

“Then we must do this now.”

The sorceress pulled two necklaces from her pocket. They were both long, their chains laced with gold. One had a ruby stone at the end, the other an opal. They gleamed in the low light, giving off a spout of energy that even the sorceress couldn’t explain. She hadn’t needed to add much of a spell to make them do what she wanted.

She put the ruby necklace over the king’s head and then put the opal one over hers. Not for the first time, she begun to doubt herself. Was this the only way? Surely if they returned to the castle a few more hours of brainstorming would come to a different outcome.

No. This was all that needed to be done.

The king cradled the stone in his hand. “These will be lost, won’t they?”

The sorceress knew what he was asking. “No matter how long it takes we can wait, my king. This must be done.”

With a sad nod from the king, the sorceress got to work.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:19 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hey, Noelle!! ^^ Finally getting around to starting this.

Keep in mind I'm not reading other reviews (because there are many) but still want to share my thoughts!

I just have to say I love your opening paragraph. It's written so beautifully, it flows so well, and the descriptions give me a really good mental image of the scene. Not to mention it sets up a wonderful atmosphere that I hope continues on throughout the rest of the scene. (Man I love your writing xD)

Tbh all of this was really well written in my opinion. I could go on for ages about flow and such, but I'll get down into the content.

I get that you probably want to have a lot of mystery and lots of questions for the reader if they actually decide to read the prologue, but I feel like there is a fine line you have to toe for that. And this feels like we have absolutely no answers for questions we didn't even know we had. So, we learn from this that there is a war between kingdoms and the Sorceress has to do something because of it. And then we're left with the questions of who are these kingdoms? What are the necklaces? Who is the Sorceress? What are they fighting over? What does she have to do?

Even though you don't need to go on any full on info dumps, I wish there was some indication of what these necklaces are, maybe some kind of name or a hint at their magic, so that we can later recognize them easier. (Obviously they're going to show up in the main part of the novel :P)

I'm interested! I just wish we had more to go off of xD Writing quality though? Beautiful. So excited to continue.

Best wishes!
- Wolfe




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hey Noelle! You asked if anyone was going to be able to adopt this and I'm intrigued so I think I will! As this always has some reviews I'll keep mine brief and keep my energy for later parts.

I am not usually a fan of prologues but this one was good and felt prologuey. From your blurb on your status it sounds like this maybe is going to have happened a long time before the main events of your novel. I dig it! I like the idea of a king and a sorceress. I don't know. It felt like these two powerful, legendary people at a legendary time. I liked it.

I see that one of the other reviewers, and I would agree, said that she didn't seem shocked or horrified enough when he said that he had called for surrender. I didn't really buy it when you said that she was horrified. I would prefer to see a visceral reaction - no matter how rapidly she recovers from it.

Overall it was a good opening and I look forward to reading ahead!

- Stella x




User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there Noelle! My name is MJ, and I'm stopping by for a review on your chapter today :) *Disclaimer: Everything I say is my personal opinion, and you do not need to heed my advice if you don't want to. Everything I say is with the goal of improving not only this chapter, but also your writing in general, and though I never intend any of my comments to be offensive in any way, I apologize if the way I phrase my critiques come across as offensive. None of my comments are attacks on you as a person, only on your writing*

Overall, your prose was strong. I could conjure a mental image from your descriptions, and a lot of your descriptions were incredible. However, there are a few areas that could be improved that take this piece from having the potential of being great to a true masterpiece. Right now, it seems that you have scraps of a masterpiece, but the way you tie them together needs some strengthening. Nevertheless, you are in a fantastic place for a first draft right now, and with a little bit of rewriting, this story has a lot of potential!

The noise, however, still echoed in the sorceress’s ears.
This is one of the sentences that is short, choppy, and generally doesn't flow very well. I would suggest that you edit this sentence and the sentences around it heavily, trying a variety of sentence structures until you make it as smooth as possible.

No matter how she tried to dispel it they would not leave her; clanging swords, hooves pounding into the ground, wailing soldiers clinging to the last breaths of life.
This is one of your best sentences. I love the way I can picture the scene through these fragments, and even though these bits are short, they don't seem choppy. Excellent work.

But when she saw who it was, she snuffed it out


No. This was all that needed to be doneRegardless of the cost, this is what she needed to do.
While you don't have to use that exact sentence by any means, something like that has more finality than what you currently have.

I really enjoyed the foundation you've laid for your story here. I would caution you to make sure your story doesn't seem cliche, as right now you have a lot of the typical fantasy tropes. Adding your own fun twist will make your prologue stand out, and currently I think the biggest issue with your prologue is your tendency towards choppy, short phrases. If you can rewrite the prose and make it more unique and connected, you'll have an intriguing prologue that will draw your reader into the story. Fantastic work on this! I look forward to reading more :)

Best wishes,
MJTucker




User avatar
1488 Reviews


Points: 154686
Reviews: 1488

Donate
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:41 pm
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hi Noelle,

I seem to be in the habit of reviewing prologues at the moment so I'll jump straight into this one. I often write prologues, as for some reason I can't seem to stop myself but before actually reviewing this I want to say: ask yourself whether you actually need a prologue.

Prologues are a surprisingly controversial topic when it comes to fantasy/sci-fi writing. You'll find some people who insist you can't start the novel without them and some who will tell you it's a colossal waste of time and people won't read it. Only you can decide whether your novel needs one, but definitely have a good think about it - especially as you get further into writing your novel and have a good idea of how it's going to work.

Now onto the actual review!

A warmness spread through him.

This is an odd line - do you mean it spread through her as you're not writing from his point of view?

I understand that the prologue is supposed to be shrouded in mystery to make your reader continue the book and, whilst it does achieve that, at points it seems too mysterious. Maybe there could be some more between certain sections where she seems to jump from one thought to another.

For example, here:
She put the ruby necklace over the king’s head and then put the opal one over hers. Not for the first time, she begun to doubt herself. Was this the only way? Surely if they returned to the castle a few more hours of brainstorming would come to a different outcome.

No. This was all that needed to be done.


You could definitely expand between these two paragraphs, give more of an idea of the turmoil or difficulties of the character. It would also help to make her seem more three dimensional. Another place you could add to is here:

A horn sounded from the hill behind them. The sorceress flinched; it was the sound of surrender. The kingdom she spent every waking minute protecting was surrendering.

“Did you order this?”

The king hesitated. It was long enough that his answer was apparent. He didn’t need to explain, but he did anyway. “We would have been completely destroyed. I won’t lose my kingdom.”


She doesn't actually seem that surprised or angered by his actions. She doesn't really seem to have much of a reaction at all, which seems to be the theme throughout this. It would be nice to see her character developed further, especially if she is to be important.

Overall, I enjoyed this and look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Hope this was helpful,

Icy.




Noelle says...


Thanks for the review! I wanted to keep this as a shorter prologue, more like those one pagers you find in some books, but I seem to have gotten stuck between and made a medium sized one. Glad to know it comes off as mysterious because that's the way I like it :3



User avatar


Points: 29
Reviews: 3

Donate
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 pm
SilverWolf wrote a review...



I think this is a really good prologue, it definitely hints at more to come.

When she is thinking about the souls on her conscience you could have her think: departed souls, or something else that implies that she feels their deaths weighing down on her.
I understood what you meant but an extra description would clarify, if I understood what you were implying correctly.

I think it was really well written and it makes the reader want to find out more!




Noelle says...


Thank you for the review! I get what you're saying about adding some more details. I will work on that going forward :)



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 74
Reviews: 34

Donate
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:44 pm
Swetachowdhury0 says...



Hii, I find it amusing... The Story line is great... And it is clean and clear . It is easily understandable... I think you should have described about the protagonist before but it's okay. That's my point of view , hope you don't mind... Keep it up and update soon. Waiting for the next update




Noelle says...


Thanks for the review! I'm glad you like it :)



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 74
Reviews: 34

Donate
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:52 pm
Swetachowdhury0 says...



hiii, i love how you have written this parts. this story is nice . great start keep going . all the best





I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro