z

Young Writers Society



Provenance: Chapter 1.2

by Nobunaga


(Okay, banged this bad boy out over the course of the night. I'm unsure about the pov I've chosen to write in. So, in addition to other things, I would really appreciate comments on the style and the pov. If you think this would sound better written differently then let me know. And again, please don't spare my feelings. I need all the help I can get.)

The people of Castil had never seen a monster before.

Yes, there were the Bogmen crudely drawn in children’s books, warning of the dangers of Pyne. And everyone knew that Frights had orange teeth and red eyes and, if you stayed after dark for too long, one was liable to snatch you away, right into thin air. But nobody, not even the eldest of the priests, had ever seen anything like this.

Reor lay untouched in the middle of the courtyard. His bog black skin bubbled in the sunlight. Smoke rose from his body in plumes, keeping even the bravest of soldiers away with its stench - a horrible, acid burn that clawed up the nose and corroded the sinuses. Needless to say, a raven was dispatched to the Kingdom immediately, but the castle was miles off, and the children were beginning to cry.

Astringent smoke billowed into the air, and though the women had ushered the young ones away into the top floor of the tallest house, even they could not escape the sting. A bird fell from its tree. The crowd watched as it landed in a twitching heap next to the mass of tangled green hair on Reor’s head. They watched as it struggled, fighting desperately for air, and then died.

“I’ve had enough,” the butcher growled, breaking the silence. He pushed past the shaking guards, cleaver ready in hand. “Let’s kill it and be done!”

The crowd pleaded - “No, Lotto!”, “Please, stay back!” - but the burly man descended on Reor, face red from holding his breath, eyes blinded by the smoke. He grabbed a handful of hair and lifted the boy from the cobblestone.

The sharp edge of a blade slicing into the skin of his throat snapped Reor’s eyes wide open. In one fluid motion, he grabbed the handle of the cleaver, snatched it from the butcher’s hand, and severed his hair where it held him up. He was barely awake. His eyes rolled in his head and he could not stop himself from falling into a heap on the ground. The pain sizzling at the edge of his consciousness reached full crescendo. Agony sent him scrambling to his feet.

Lotto hadn’t moved an inch. Reor met his eye, though only for a moment before the blinding light of the sun forced his lids back closed. He hissed, spitting blood, and scurried hastily from the scene. There was only one place to go. Skin boiling, he ran back into the forest, into Pyne’s treacherous dark, from whence he came.

He’d no time at all to comprehend the gravity of his failure, not with his heart pumping that familiar beat of panic, but when he finally collapsed, surrounded by the dense thicket and cool shade, all the weights of the world settled themselves comfortably on his chest. He didn't have any more tears to cry.

Fa’una was gone. He could no longer smell the sickly sweetness of her corpse. He could no longer hear the portal. The rustling of the leaves in the wind seemed to laugh at him and he spat at sky - raked the ground with his nails, banged his head on the exposed roots of the trees. He raged until he could move no more, and even then his teeth grinded against one another, threatening to turn his canines to dust.

Narrow, yellow eyes stared at the thick canopy of trees above, wet with tears that wouldn’t fall.

Fa’una was gone. Fa’una was awake.

The world would know horror once again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 213
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:13 am
View Likes
RavenRanger wrote a review...



Man, I'll never get tired of your writing. As always, good work. I really enjoyed the story. I take back what I said about the previous chapter, you are flowing the story together very well.

"The pain sizzling at the edge of his consciousness reached full crescendo." Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there should be an "a" in front of "full crescendo". That would change the sentence to "The pain sizzling at the edge of his consciousness reached a full crescendo." Personally, I think it sounds better but it's more of an opinion.

You are missing a "the" in front of "sky" in the following sentence "The rustling of the leaves in the wind seemed to laugh at him and he spat at sky". So it'd end up being "The rustling of the leaves in the wind seemed to laugh at him and he spat at the sky".

"and even then his teeth grinded against one another" It's supposed to be "ground" not "grinded". I hope I don't sound too annoying lol.

As for the pov, I agree with what Mea wrote. I think that as long as you put more emphasis on who's pov it is, it should make perfect sense. That's all I have to say. Hopefully, that was somewhat helpful.




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:32 am
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here for my side of the exchange. :D

So you questioned the POV you're writing in, and I understand why - at the beginning, this is clearly 3rd person omniscient, but then you transistion back into Reor's third person limited, which is usually not advisable.

But in my opinion, it actually works. I really did like the perspective because it showed the town's POV and it showed Reor from the outside after we saw him a bit from the inside. It raised so many questions and really piqued my interest - why is Reor a monster? What is this horror that is Fa'una, and why don't the townspeople seem to know about it? Where has Fa'una been, and how long? All of these are great questions for your reader to have right at the start of the story.

The sharp edge of a blade slicing into the skin of his throat snapped Reor’s eyes wide open. In one fluid motion, he grabbed the handle of the cleaver, snatched it from the butcher’s hand, and severed his hair where it held him up.

This is where you transistion back into third person limited, and while it's not bad, I think you could make the transition clearer by putting more emphasis on Reor. Something as simple as changing the first sentence of this paragraph to "Reor's eyes snapped open as pain shot across his throat, the blade slicing into his skin" helps the camera "zoom back in", so to speak.

I also thought that, while you were out of Reor's head, you could use the opportunity to describe what he looks like - at this point, I know he's humanoid and has black skin that seems to be scalded by sunlight, but I don't know much else, and it would be logical for them to describe him, since they've never seen him before.

Lotto hadn’t moved an inch.

Why? I didn't really understand this. Was he too shocked? Was Reor just moving too fast?

Overall, you did a great job of making this scene very intense. Your specific description (not too much description, but what's there does a lot of work, which is exactly what you want) and powerful verbs were especially good - they created the tone and suspense. My main critique would be that some of your sentences just don't quite flow, usually because they feel like you're trying just a little too hard to have a dramatic sentence. I'd recommend reading this out loud and editing anything that sounds weird - reading your work out loud is one of the best ways to really see whether or not it flows.

And that's all I've got! This was definitely a good chapter. I hope this review was helpful, and thanks for doing two Green Room reviews! Come back to my trading thread any time. :D




Nobunaga says...


Thank you so much for the review!

Most of the shorter sentences here are because I had to break apart long sentences, so I understand what you mean by trying too hard to be dramatic :P I'm having kinda a hard time varying sentence length. Usually I just write how I think, so it all comes out at once and it's hard to know when I need to break.

And thank you so much for pointing out that pov switch. Like I said, I'm not too comfortable with the pov I'm writing in and I'm afraid that I'll be switching between the two in my coming chapters. I know that's not a good thing, but it's good to know that it works here! I'll work on making the switch back to Reor's pov better to read.

I really appreciate your feedback! And I love your little thread :3



User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:00 am
View Likes
Hattable wrote a review...



Heya, Nobunaga!

I'm back, and this is great. I love your writing.


Some quick grammatical pointers to start us off--

And everyone knew that Frights had orange teeth and red eyes and, if you stayed after dark for too long, one was liable to snatch you away, right into thin air.

I'd suggest adding a “that” after “red eyes and” to make this sentence flow more smoothly into that comma. Otherwise, it's great! I really like the sound of these monsters you've got. I sense some great world-building in the future.

And then

keeping even the bravest of soldiers away with its stench - a horrible, acid burn that clawed up the nose and corroded the sinuses.

I think that “acidic burn” would be more accurate in this description, but I'm not terribly sure on that, so take it with a grain of salt. This bit is also really good!

Needless to say, a raven was dispatched to the Kingdom immediately, but the castle was miles off, and the children were beginning to cry.

If this city is under the reign of whatever monarch they're sending a message to (which I assume is the case, as why else would they be bothering the monarch?) then the city is within the kingdom? And you'd simply say that a crow was sent off to the castle, or the capital city, perhaps? That would make more sense, I think.

Astringent smoke billowed into the air, and though the women had ushered the young ones away into the top floor of the tallest house, even they could not escape the sting.

There's only one such house? (tallest implies such, but it's a bit odd that there's only one house so tall). Unless it's not a house, but then you'd have called it a building? Maybe these people just have weird architectural styles, haha.
Also, wouldn't the stench be rising with the smoke? I take it that it trails along with the smoke, at least? So going to higher ground is kind of counter-intuitive of them.

The pain sizzling at the edge of his consciousness reached full crescendo.

{Great sentence. I've been wanting to use the word 'crescendo' in my writing recently, lel.)

Though right before this he feels the cleaver in his neck? And then suddenly maneuvers it away and up to his hair? That's a bit confusing, as he'd have to move it from beneath his chin and then up past his face and-- But ah, it's not that bad, so I'll let it slide :^P

He’d no time at all to comprehend the gravity of his failure, not with his heart pumping that familiar beat of panic, but when he finally collapsed, surrounded by the dense thicket and cool shade, all the weights of the world settled themselves comfortably on his chest.

This is a rather long sentence, and while you've done well this time with evening the sentences out between long and short, I feel that this could be broken into a couple? Maybe break it so that “but when he finally collapsed” is the start of a new sentence? It's up to you, though – this may not even be necessary!


This was great!! You did much better, this time, with the sentence lengths, and as far as I could tell, the POV/tense was good and consistent throughout. The pacing was also done nicely, I think.
I love your writing. It's rich, but not overly-detailed. It's fun to read and I love what little world-building you gave us at the beginning. I am interested in seeing what happens now that Fa'una is released(?). I dunno what happened to her corpse, though. Was she the smoke and whatnot?

Reor seems to be taking this as well as anyone would expect, given how much we're told he's worked at this/the implications of how important it is.
You've got some great sentences in here, some great imagery. I particularly liked the description of the stench and Reor's apparent transformation (unless he looked like that in the first sentence, lel)


As usual, I'm not the best for comments on content and such, but this is really good and your writing is splendid. Love the style.
I look forward to the next part! Keep up the good work, pal!

- Hatt




Nobunaga says...


You're back!! I love reading your reviews!

Thank you for pointing out that ushering the children into a tall building wouldn't really help. Seeing it now I'm like "Duh! That wouldn't work!" but I was all for it when I wrote that sentence lol. I'm probably just gonna cut that out entirely.

And Castil is within Kingdom limits, but it's a few miles away from the Capital City, which is where the King's castle is. But yeah, saying they sent a raven to the Kingdom is super weird.

See, this is what I mean! I never notice these little weird things whenever I'm writing. I'm so glad you've pointed them out to me.

Thank you so much for coming back to review this second part. I'm so happy that you like my writing!



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm
View Likes
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, Nobunaga. I am here to provide you a review. Let's get started, shall we?

Overall Opinion
Poor Reor. I feel kind of sad for him. I don't know who this Fa'una is but I bet it's someone who is important to him. Can't wait to see what happens with that. Reor's character seems complex, I love it. I don't know if he is human or something else, but he is an interesting character to connect with. I like the way you described the setting throughout the whole chapter. You are very descriptive when it comes to writing, huh?

Nitpicks and Stuff:

He had no more tears to cry.


This sentence sounds weird, like... it can't connect with my brain. That's just me though. Maybe perhaps re-word it better?

I can't find anything else wrong with your story. It's perfect!
I did notice that you write long sentences. I don't know if you're able to shorten them or what, but it might help. Don't want to drone out the sentences, right?

Conclusion
I really enjoyed chapter one of your novel so far. I can't wait to read more of your work. You're a very amazing writer. Keep up the great work!
Keep writing and have a wonderful day!

- Kanome




Nobunaga says...


I need to like read an article on how to vary sentence length. This time I even noticed myself doing it but I still couldn't figure out a way to change it >.< Do you have any ideas on that, specifically? I reallllly struggle with that.

Also, do you feel like I got too descriptive at times? Like, was it ever too much or something? I haven't written anything in a very long time so this is all so new to me again lol Like, I don't know how I can review other people's work but I can't even review my own..



Kanome says...


Well, to me, I don't think you were overly descriptive. And when I usually write, I just think of a good stopping point. I can't really tell you to change the way you write, if you want to write long sentences go for it xD
I just know there are times that are sentences that go on too long, like I guess.. dragging it along?



Nobunaga says...


Okay! Thank you for your points. I'm gonna go in and try to more effort into editing the long ones. I really appreciate it!



Kanome says...


No problem! c:



Nobunaga says...


Oh! And I edited part one to say this, but the corpse he was holding was Fa'una. I know you read it before I edited it to say that...



Kanome says...


Ohh! That makes sense!




It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire