z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Poison Wine and Blinding Sins

by NightsInWhiteSatin


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Holy Father I am weary

Tired of the clinking chains

Butchered chances I once had

Mistakes with no ways back

I am weary of myself 

And how I drowned my love

In poison wine and blinding sin

I no longer hear Her song

I am weary of the strings

I feel pulled by everyday

Merciful Father so far away

Will you forgive me one Last sin

Let this be my bid farewell

That will lead me to your arms


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 1285
Reviews: 76

Donate
Sat May 08, 2021 11:52 am
Phillauthet wrote a review...



I love how everything in this poem fits together so perfectly. It feels like it shouldn't match so much, but it really does. It reminds me of 'We Wear the Mask' by Paul Laurence Dunbar, though the two aren't even related. It is sort of sad, but unlike other sad poems, it doesn't make the reader feel the same despair. I also like the last part a lot.




User avatar


Points: 31
Reviews: 1

Donate
Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am
suhani says...



Loved your poem! It is authentic, tinged with a beautiful melancholy and full of emotion. Reading your poem, brought into my mind 'Crossing the Bar' by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Perhaps due to the reference to Religion and plea for salvation. Truly a beautiful piece, kudos to you!




User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 390
Reviews: 103

Donate
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:42 pm
waywardxwanderer wrote a review...



This poem is so beautiful and real. I love the dark tone and the way you've brought religion and a sort of pleading into it. It really works to bring the reader into the mindset of this person. It's... wow. The tale you've create through these words, the beautiful rhythm creating a gothic, haunting tone that perfectly encapsulates the subject you're writing about. Absolutely lovely.




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 1763
Reviews: 60

Donate
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:56 pm
View Likes
LizzyTyler says...



Hi, Lizzy here!

I love how this poem beautifully melds religion and freedom, with a dark streak that ties it all together. I love the broken but wholeness of the poem, along with the dark talk of suicide.

It is a beautiful poem, one that gave me chills. It was truly great.





Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
— Thomas Edison