The Fallen King: Chapter One

by MaybeAndrew

Chapter One

Whispers of Power

Liam peered back at the forest. Even on that bright day in winter, the forest was thick enough to feel dark, with branches and vines making the sunlight patchy and the shrubbery and bush rising like walls on either side of the path. The tall trees with their rough old bark almost looked like faces.

It did not help that the forest was talking to him.

Arwen always reminded him that even the slow trees were alive, breathing, creeping, even thinking, but up until that point, they’d never spoken to him.

Liam turned away from the forest, telling himself it was the loneliness getting to him. The lighthouse had been quiet since dad had died - Grandpa wasn’t much of a talker anymore.

Before he could start his walk again, a slight breeze muttered through the tree branches behind him, causing their limbs to rub and creak against each other. He’d heard that sound countless times before, but today, he had heard something different. It was like a voice within the creaking. There it was again! As if a thousand voices were whispering at once, each one so small that it would be impossible to hear on its own, but together they could not be ignored. The voices had come from within the trees, from within the sounds of creaking and the low breath of the wind. He whirled around and stared at the forest. He couldn’t make out the words… or maybe just not understand them, but they were definitely saying something… and the same something every time too. The wind ceased, but Liam still felt strange. He was sure he had heard the words. He scowled at it, hoping maybe showing his disapproval would quiet it.

He had been walking in those woods every morning for a month now, but they hadn’t spoken to him until that day. He hoped they wouldn’t again. Among his few responsibilities as Keeper of the Light, bearing the fire to the newly dead was one of them. Every day for the moon cycle after the Darkness claimed a life, he must take a fresh torch of Astrum up to the graveyard and light the fire in the crypt. The Darkness must not awaken the dead. But winter was ending, so he hoped fewer would die by Darkness over the next couple of months.

That had been his father’s duty when he had been Keeper of the Light. Now it was Liam’s. Liam, the Keeper of the Light, at fifteen, making him the youngest in recent memory.

Liam scampered up the hill and towards the graveyard. The graveyard was not primarily headstone but small stone buildings. Standing in the morning sun were the neat rows of tombs, their stone tile roofs glistening in the sun. Each one was built out of large stone bricks that at one point had been bright gray but now were stained with moss, lichen, and ivy. Liam had not much visited the graveyard before his father’s death, but it was beautiful. Technically, as its overseer, he was now responsible for its upkeep. Though that seemed nonsensical to him since he lived farther away from the graveyard than anyone.

Liam walked up the white gravel path leading between the buildings, his boots cracking and popping against the small stones. There were plenty of things about Lownires traditions that seemed nonsensical to him, like how inexperienced children were made Keepers when they would have preferred to do anything else.

Liam walked between the tombs, trying not to think about how every single person he’d ever known, knew, or ever would know would end up in an urn in one of these little buildings. No one in Lownire ever made it farther than these buildings, and nor would he.

The blue fire torch he held in his left hand flickered brightly. Astrum was strange like that, letting off less heat than normal fires and more light. He glared at his torch, feeling a rising anger inside of him. Its light held back the tide of Darkness that threatened to overwhelm the little village of Lownire, but that same light held him in like a cage.

Liam arrived at the center of the graveyard. The field of the Offerings. A flat meadow with knee-high grass at the highest point on the hill. In the summer, it was filled with countless white wildflowers. But now, it was yellow grass sparkling with dew. Sticking out of the grass was line upon line of small headstones made out of white granite that glistened in the sunlight.

On each was carved the name of an Offering. Four stones ago stood the one name that gave him pause. ‘Arwen, Daughter of Rohiesa and Thomas, Keepers of the Light.’ Liam stared at it for a moment. He’d seen it every day for a month now, and it still gave him pause. There was his sister. Of course, there wasn’t a body under the grave. The Offerings were taken by The Beast, leaving no trace. The stones were merely a memorial.

Liam turned from the headstones and looked out at the valley.

Most of the valley below him was dominated by the leafless limbs of trees and was split in half by the coastline. The ocean curved in, like a half-moon, to take its fair share of the center of the valley, leaving the arms of the mountains to extend out and become the high cliffs. Lownire sat in the direct middle of the valley, just touching both land and the sea.

Its city wall enclosed the tightly packed wooden buildings and cobbled streets. The town was a perfect circle, and the iris of this circle was at the center of the city, where the buildings gave way to a green field of short grass. The pupil of this iris was the marble Keep, and the funeral stone -- the stone Father had been burned on.

All around the village were a few acres of farmland. The circle of clear land gave the village some distance from the tall trees. The rest of the valley was forest, hills, and, eventually, mountains.

The easternmost tip of the city wall came up to and just ever so slightly kissed the sea, the wall there keeping out the ocean waves as well as the Darkness. Liam had never met anyone from Lownire who had ventured past the mountains to the West or the ocean to the East. Well, besides Uncle Hadrian, but he had not returned yet.

Across the valley, on the northernmost tip of the cliffs, sat Liam’s home. The lighthouse. Taller than even the largest oak in the forest, it sat triumphantly on the edge of a cliff. The rocky, moss-padded cliff shot out over the ocean, taller than any of the waves that crashed against it. The graveyard had the second-best view of the valley, and the lighthouse had the best.

Further to the West of the forest, Liam could see the beginnings of the Dark Wood. The mass of trees and vines was so tightly woven that even the light of the bright morning sun only began to flirt with its edges. The forest may be old and thoughtful, but the Dark Wood had real living malice in it. The tree’s gnarled limbs kept even the summer’s sunlight from piercing their shadows. It had been those Shadows that had killed his Father.

Liam looked away from the Dark Wood. Best not to dwell on the Corruption.

*

Questions:

1. Does the beginning feel like too much exposition, or does it effectively get you up to speed?

2. How are the descriptions? To long? To short?

3. As a beginning, does this pull you in?

Part two of chapter one:

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/MaybeAnd...

SkyVibes wrote a review...

Heya! Mercedes Blue here!

This chapter is definitely shorted than the prologue but it's so good! And it's not too short either. I think you put in enough information without it seeming rushed or crammed together.

I like how liam can hear the forest as well like his sister did. And how Liam already seems like the main character. (Go Team Liam!!)
Having Liam and Awren being able to hear the forest also leads me to believe that maybe it's not common for people to be able to do that so they are special. Again, a really good way to bring mystery to this story!
Also a good sense of Mystery is brought it when his dad is brought up. Why did you kill him off so soon! *cries*
But now im wondering why he went to where he went and why he was killed. Was he set up? Was he in the wrong frame of mind? Was he hunting something? So many questions!

To answer your questions :)

1. I think this does get me up to speed however I would have liked to know just how much time had passed sooner in the chapter.

2. i don't think the descriptions are short but I kinda wish there was more of a present description of Liam.

3. the beginning does pull me in. As I've mentioned I like how the story still has more mystery. And the mystery is balanced. It isn't so little that like it's obvious what everything is and what's going on but it's also not too much mystery to where it's confusing because there's so many question.
I mean yes, I have questions but not so much that I feel so lost and would no longer want to read this series.

But also real quick I like how without really mentioning it you described Liam being much more matured. Like he knew he had to grow up fast and took to the stand with courage and the accception (is that a word lol) of his fate.
Wanting to read more I'm wondering how his relationship is with the other person watching over him and if he's ever going to go into the forest or past the borders. Is everything the Keepers telling their people a lie to keep them away from something??

Thank you for sharing this chapter! I can't wait to read more!
-Mercedes

MaybeAndrew says...

Thank you so much for the review! I'll be sure to put in a description of Liam somewhere soon!

SkyVibes says...

You're welcome!
I can't wait to read more!
-Mercedes

Liminality says...

Heya Andrew! Great chapter. I like that we're getting to see Liam's inner thoughts. It's interesting to see how he's grown and matured since his appearance in the prologue as a young child. I particularly liked these lines:

But since last autumn, Father had grown weaker and weaker, so Liam had been taking more and more responsibilities. Eventually, the Authority had passed onto him, so he took them all.

Something about "taking more and more . . ." and then that changing to "took them all" feels really impactful.

The structure of this chapter is a bit more meandering than the last, moving away from topics like how the father passed the Authority to him to his duties, the trees, and then back to the Authority again, and so on. I think that could work if you're trying to show his stream-of-consciousness, though it is a bit less transparent to follow as a reader.

“He is coming,” he heard a thousand voices whisper. Each one so small that it would be impossible to hear on its own, but together they could not be ignored.

^ This description stood out the most to me. I could really picture how they sounded, because I could relate it to stuff I've heard done via sound effects, like in movies where they want to show that it's a chorus of ghosts talking, and I like the way you phrased it here too that makes me view it in a different light.

MaybeAndrew says...

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I agree that this chapter is a bit hard to follow, I'll try to fix that!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:28 pm
Snoink wrote a review...

Hi!

OH MAN. So there are a lot of neat ideas in this part of the chapter. But like... I wish you just stopped and slowed down a bit and just let us enjoy this new and terrible world that you've created, if that makes sense. Like, one of the nice things about the prologue is that you took forever to talk abot the procession down to the forest. But like... I want more in this first chapter! (Which, I guess is a good thing, because I want more because it is interesting, but...)

Okay, so I like the first paragraph... but then it goes into this directly:

It was a similarly bright day a month later.

And I had to think, wait! Stop! Give us some transition here! Because you skipped a whole month of time and it's like, "Are you okay Liam?? Let me know how you're doing. That's a lot to deal with!"

(Yes, I am having a dialogue with your characters. I am weird, lol.)

Also, like you just mentioned Arwen... and honestly, after watching her get eaten in the Prologue, I was kind of hoping to have some sort of commentary from Liam about what she meant to him as a person. Has he accepted her death as just a normal occurrence and gone about his life? (Perhaps you could mention that sometimes he thought of her wistfully when he was alone, etc. to indicate that, while he misses her, he has moved on with his life? Is he not okay that his sister was chosen as an offering, and now with the death of his father he feels completely alone in the world?

Not only will describing his thoughts of Arwen be some sort of insight on his character, but it will also give us a sense of direction for the overall story since, like I said before, I read the Prologue thinking, "HM. Maybe this will be about slaying the beast???" So this is pretty important! :)

Liam turned away from the forest, but as he did so, he heard it again. It was the sound that had distracted him his entire way to the graveyard. He whirled back around, staring out at the trees. A slight breeze was muttering through their branches, causing their limbs to rub and creak against each other. He’d heard that sound countless times before, but today, he heard something different. Like a voice within the creaking. Liam shook his head. It was just his loneliness getting to him. Since his dad had died, the lighthouse had been quiet. Grandpa wasn’t much of a talker.

“He is coming,” he heard a thousand voices whisper. Each one so small that it would be impossible to hear on its own, but together they could not be ignored. The voices had come from within the trees, from within the sounds of creaking and the low breath of the wind. Liam looked at the forest a bit longer and then scowled at it, hoping maybe showing his disapproval would quiet it.

These two paragraphs feel reeeeally rushed and I want you to just slow down and embrace the horror! Like, even reformatting them into different paragraphs would be helpful. Like... maybe this?

Liam turned away from the forest, but as he did so, he heard it again. It was the sound that had distracted him his entire way to the graveyard.

He whirled back around, staring out at the trees. A slight breeze was muttering through their branches, causing their limbs to rub and creak against each other. He’d heard that sound countless times before, but today, he heard something different. Like a voice within the creaking.

Liam shook his head. It was just his loneliness getting to him. Since his dad had died, the lighthouse had been quiet. Grandpa wasn’t much of a talker.

“He is coming,” he heard a thousand voices whisper. Each one so small that it would be impossible to hear on its own, but together they could not be ignored. The voices had come from within the trees, from within the sounds of creaking and the low breath of the wind.

Liam looked at the forest a bit longer and then scowled at it, hoping maybe showing his disapproval would quiet it.

So you can see that by reformatting it into separate paragraphs, you kind of force it to take longer to read. But even then you can see that it's missing something too. So, like... if I were writing this, I would just ramp up the horror dial, lol. So... maybe something like...

Yet, even when he tried to dismiss the voices as his imagination, he still heard their words clearly. “He is coming,” he heard a thousand voices whisper. Each one so small that it would be impossible to hear on its own, but together they could not be ignored. The voices had come from within the trees, from within the sounds of creaking and the low breath of the wind.

ANYWAY. The reason why I am pointing this out is because there seems to be some sort of conflict here, and when you're writing the first chapter, generally you want to hook the reader. The best way to hook them? Some sort of conflict! So I would probably dial it up a notch and really emphasize it, since that is your hook. :)

Luckily, this was the last day he’d have to take the three-mile hike down from the lighthouse and up to the graveyard. Among his few responsibilities as Keeper of the Light, bearing the fire to the dead was one of them.

I've read and reread these two sentences an embarrassing amount of times and... um... I'm still not quite sure what you're trying to say. Why would he stop hiking this hike if he is supposed to be the Keeper of the Light? It seems as if he would hike this route even more! Or am I missing something?

It had been those Shadows that had killed his Father. A creature of Darkness had found Father while he was in the forest. It had struck him, seeding him with the Corruption that would eventually kill him. Liam had watched all winter as he withered away. If the correct Ceremonies were performed, and you did not submit, Darkness merely killed you, instead of turning you into one of Its mangled beasts.

Father never submitted, and as a consequence, the Darkness took him like it had so many others. Four years after he had lost his daughter and fifteen after he had lost his wife, Father followed them to the stars. Liam looked away from the Dark Wood. Best not to dwell on the Corruption.

I feel like you could add something here... like... does Liam fear being corrupted? Like, clearly he does to some extent since he doesn't want to think about that. But like... could this happen to Liam? How likely is this?

So basically, anything that hints of a conflict, don't be afraid to expand on that. Because part of writing horror is introducing the fear of something that might possibly be lingering about. And fear is a powerful thing!

...okay, my computer is trying to die, so I will probably have to troubleshoot it before heading off to the next chapter...

MaybeAndrew says...

Thank you so much for you're review Snoink! I agree all those sections are really rushed, tbh I feel this first chapter is the most umm, messy of all of them (I guess because I wrote and edited it first) and when I do the final edit I think I might cut it and replace it with Liams fathers funeral to make this the second chapter and give the graveyard chapter room to breath.
About Liam responding to his sisters sacrifice... that definitely comes up in part two of this chapter, and its kinda like the main emotional thrust of the whole story (Liam has to decide whether he hates duty for killing his sister or loves her for dying for her duty) but I won't give you more than that... because spoilers.
But you're thoughts of really insitiful and intelligent and I'm really thankful you could critique in ways that could really improve my writing

waywardxwanderer wrote a review...

Hello! Here for a quick review:

Among his few responsibilities as Keeper of the Light, bearing the fire to the dead was one of them

While each of these clauses work separately, together, they get jumbled up grammatically. You could say either "Among his few responsibilities as a Keeper of the Light was bearing the fire to the dead" or "As Keeper of Light, bearing the fire to the dead was one of his few responsibilities".

sat Liams home

Here, you just need to add an apostrophe.

The mass of trees and vine, so tightly woven that even the light of this bright day only began to flirt with its edges.

This sentence works, but I would recommend replacing the comma with "was" - it makes it more of a complete thought.

Again, take what you like and leave the rest!

This chapter (part?) was very beautifully written. Your imagery is immersive and lovely, and through the descriptions you manage to weave in Liam's character and his thoughts and processes, showing the reader exactly what he's been through and revealing his character without falling into infodumping. I often select a few sentences I really like so I can dissect them, but there are too many to choose from here! It's all very lovely, and you write grief well.

Keep writing,
Wayward(:

MaybeAndrew says...

Thank you so much for the review!

Hi MaybeAndrew,

I could review the first section or the whole part that you have here, but let's start small. At first glance, a good introduction, a good text and, above all, a good tension and appeal for the reader to continue the story.

I'm a huge fan of it when many things have happened in a story that you didn't directly experience, but gradually learn more about, like when a map is cleared of clouds, where the reader then sees how much is actually connected.

It shows that you definitely have a knack here of telling the story in such a beautiful tone. I especially like the way you make the storytelling seem epic in tone, as if it's something that's been around for thousands of years and has been passed down from generation to generation.

That's also what I particularly like about the first section. You've created a very great way of linking the sentences between a longer and shorter word count, and it reads so smoothly and, above all, like a kind of ripple effect. You create an inner conflict that shows the reader how much Liam is still grieving (and I think there is some hate in him) and how much he is trying to blame the environment.

On this view, it also seems like Liam is too focused on himself and his father, with little room for anything else. In fact, during the part here, it feels like he remains in tunnel vision. But the first section is not the only one I liked.

You keep this build up right to the end and you have this ripple effect really well, so that the reader just keeps reading. The descriptions are incredibly descriptive and easy to read, so that a picture quickly forms in the mind. There is actually only one small point that I noticed that stands out a bit:

It was the warmest the valley had been all winter, hinting of the oncoming warmth.

I would just change the last “warmth” with “heat” to rewrite it.

Otherwise, I find it a very exciting and well-told beginning.

MaybeAndrew says...

Thank you so much for the review malice! I agree about that warmth bit, I'll edit that now.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 am
VengefulReaper wrote a review...

Hi, just here to drop a quick review.

Firstly, you have used a lot of descriptive language which really helps paint a picture of the world the reader is in. I think the lack of dialogue works for the aim of the chapter which is mostly description.
Are the trees conscious? You say they remember much. Is this like the ents from Lord of the Rings?
I like how you are building a sense of culture in the civilization Liam lives in and how it has adapted to deal with the Darkness. I hope you explore that more in the future as the world is what intrigues me the most at this stage (which marks a good fantasy novel).
As for complaints, none so far (Though I am not a picky reader). I think it's still pretty early on for me to start criticizing xD.
The entire chapter reminds me of the ents from Lord of the Rings with the whispers and the dark woods.
In conclusion, I am looking forward to reading the next one. It's a good premise and seems promising.
As always, Thanks for the read and take what's useful to you from this.
-Reaper

MaybeAndrew says...

Thanks so much for the review! The ents from the lord of the rings has some fun imagery, but this is a bit different (;
I like how you are building a sense of culture in the civilization Liam lives in and how it has adapted to deal with the Darkness. I hope you explore that more in the future as the world is what intrigues me the most at this stage

That's been one of my favourite parts of the novel, the darkness relation to lownires culture has been super fun to write so I'm glad you like it.

Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening