Home » Literary works » Poetry » Fanfiction

Katniss: A Tribute To A Badass

by MadameLuxestrange

I wrote something about one of my favorite characters in literature for my creative writing villanelle.  Hope you like it :)

A flash of braid is all you’ll see.
This girl truly is a badass.
She, a Mockingjay, sits up in a tree.

If an animal sees her coming, they should flee.
This is one tough, selfless, forest-loving lass.
A flash of braid is all you’ll see.

The Girl On Fire she will always be
And knows how to use her mouth of sass.
She, a Mockingjay, sits up in a tree.

A bow and arrows are her key.
They could even pierce through glass.
A flash of braid is all you’ll see.

Her story is told in a set of three.
It’s an epic up until book the last.
She, a Mockingjay, sits up in a tree.

The districts of Panem she will set free.
Her voice inspires the people to amass.
A flash of braid is all you’ll see.
She, a Mockingjay, sits up in a tree.

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:22 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...

Okay, the poem is good, especially the line " A flash of braid is all you'll see ". It gives a lyrical and nice sense. But one suggestion: You shouldn't point out in the VERY beginning of the poem that the "girl is badass". Because, like, it takes the edge off the fun of reading, you know? I mean, you should work it all the way down to the ending of the poem, instead of mentioning it flat out in the start. It's just my opinion, you can do whatever you like. :)

Overall, good poem! I really like the Hunger Games. Also, this poem has a strange......country song-ish quality. At least I think so, and I like it.

Keep it up!

Mist

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:57 pm
TanyaStender says...

I really love your way of writing a poem. When I read it I begin to think about the person you are writing about and it sets some questions through my mind. :)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:54 am
Andrea2676Marie wrote a review...

Great job! Honestly, this is really good. Your sentences flow together really smoothly, and your word choice is phenomenal. I strongly encourage you to continue writing, and try to expand into a story possibly! I look forward to reading more, and truly enjoy your writing. Also, I think you should make more of these with different movies or books. As always, good luck to you and your writing.

SirenCymbaline says...

I like the rhyme of 'sass' and 'glass'. It's an odd rhyme that other people may not use, it's interesting.

(By the way, in New Zealand we pronouce sass with a short a like in 'and', and we pronounce glass with a long a, like in 'are.')

ladcat13 wrote a review...

Very cute, and clever. I like Katniss as a character. She is, as you put it, bad-ass. I also like the "a flash of braid is all you'll see". Nice. the rhyme scheme was a little interrupted, though, because the lines differ in length. I'm really picky about rhyme scheme, though, if you've read any of the reviews I've done on other structured poems. Sometimes I get a little critical. This was clever. Don't change it TOO much :)

NicoleBri wrote a review...

:) I absolutely love the Hunger Games. Well until the last one because I really couldn't get into it. However, your poem was great :) I love it and I don't have any corrections that I see as of now. Continue what you do. You are really good!

_Panda_

Kaylyn wrote a review...

Ok, so sorry for the empty comment below. Oops!
First off, I have to say, being a fan of the Hunger Games (like midnight premiere, waited in line for the books, tshirt wearing, poster bearing fan. haha) that the content of this poem is pretty awesome.
Also the imagery you used is great! It's something alot of people forget to include into poetry, and the flow is pretty great. I only have one recommendation for one thing to change.
Her story is told in a set of three.
It’s an epic up until book the last.*
She, a Mockingjay, sits up in a tree.
*It seems a little forced here, maybe find something that sounds a little more natural?
Great job, and keep writing!

Kaylyn says...

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates