18+ Language Violence

Top 10 Weird Things in My Life Right Now | A Short Story in Epistolary Form

by Liminality

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and violence.

Top 10 Weird Things in My Life Right Now

By: Suzie Z, Age 16

10. Powers

It’s been a long while, but it’s still weird to think that the Amber Spells exist. And that I can use them. It gives off a funny feeling, like butterflies fluttering down your arms when you cast a fire spell. And it’s so cool how they burn the monsters but anything else is untouched. Yeah, I said it – it’s cool. Don’t tell the cat.

9. No More Instant Noodles

Can you believe they stopped selling instant noodles at the corner shop? Now if I want to get some I have to walk to the city centre and buy them from the supermarket.

8. The Cat

By the way, did I mention a cat told me about the Amber Spells? I don’t think it has a name. If it doesn’t make me say it, I’m just gonna call it ‘cat’. It’s an annoying little bugger, anyways. Wakes me up at 5 am to go patrolling.

7. Mariana

That girl is weird and she has a weird name. Mariana, like the Mariana Trench? Anyways, I don’t get why she wants to fight monsters with me. Isn’t she an honour student or something? Doesn’t she have honour student things to do? Besides, she’s just a normal person. Sorta. She can see monsters, but I couldn’t sense any magic in her.

6. The Ooze in the Street

I’m used to all kinds of monsters by now, and I’m used to kicking all their asses. The weird green stuff showing up in the drains, though – I don’t know what the fuck that is. It feels dangerous. My magic curls away when I go near it.

5. Mariana, again

Mariana just rang the doorbell! She’s asking me to lunch at her parents’ tomorrow. She also asked me why I don’t have a phone, and I said phones are for losers, and she just laughed. What is up with this girl? I’m only going because I’m out of instant noodles.

4. Dad Being Home

Dad hasn’t been back for years. Last week he came back to the house and asked where Mum was. I told him I didn’t know. Grandpa says just ignore him, but I have a bad feeling.

3. Mariana – again?

Look, I had the TV on, and I just saw that girl on TV. She’s using an Amber Spell! It’s bright orange, flying from her hand and skewering that Obsidian Maiden right through its head! I don’t think anyone noticed. Normal people can’t see the Obsidian creatures. Or Amber Spells. The newscasters are just talking like always. Oh wait, they’re talking about the green ooze. I guess it’s not totally normal.

2. The Mark on my Hand

Yesterday, a mark turned up on my right palm. It’s bright green, and it’s in the shape of a diamond. The cat doesn’t know what it is. It’s the reason I started making this stupid list, anyway. Needed to get my thoughts down.

1. The Assassin I Met on Pearl Street Today

Dad never told me, but I found out anyway. It’s always like this. There’s someone after our family again. They were tall and masked. Their mask had this angular gem-like shape, kind of like that crazy crystal aesthetic all the rest of the monsters have. And our Amber Spells, too, I guess. They didn’t seem strong at first, so I scared them away with a blast of fire. But when they left, I saw there was a message carved into the back of my leg. I hadn’t even felt it.

It just said: TIME.

I think all these things are connected. Even the goddamn instant noodles, because honestly, if you’re going to fuck up a girl’s life, that’s the way to go. Seriously though. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I hate waiting around for something to happen.

The sky is getting darker, and it feels like any minute, something is going to crash in through the window from the darkness.

I wish someone else was home. 

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:47 pm
ccarson wrote a review...

-C. Carson speaking

Oh no! Not the instant noodles! I need those! XD

GOOD THINGS:
Anyways... Fighting monsters? Yes, count me in! Spells that burn things? Absolutely! I also agree, taking away instant noodles would fu*k up my life too. This seriously would be good story content! It's the perfect mix of funny and serious, and the end is a great cliffhanger. I would definitely like to see more of this!

BAD THINGS:
Hmmm... It might just be that I'm bad at criticism, but I can't find anything to complain about!

-Corp. Cleo Carson
-[REDACTED] County Sheriff's Office.

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:40 am
Spearmint says...

If this was turned into a novel, I would totally read it >.>
But the list form is also very neat! And the ending... 0.0 *shivers*
Nice job with this, Lim! c:

Liminality says...

Thanks so much, mint! Hehe, maybe not a whole novel, but I'm def thinking of expanding this with some companion short stories, maybe in a diary format, a recipe, etc.

Spearmint says...

Awesome! Tag me if you post them ^^ (The recipe one sounds especially interesting)

Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:55 am
alliyah says...

Super fun and creative story format Lim - I thought the voice was particularly engaging / came across as authentic. The part where the character has "TIME" carved into their leg in particular I thought was compelling and mysterious! Great cliff-hanger note to end in at the end too. Overall I also liked how the mood of the story had this sort of "Storm brewing" vibe where at the beginning there's these humorous, casual notes and then at the end it's quite ominous.

Liminality says...

Thanks so much! I started out writing this as a writing exercise for developing a character - it was about writing a top 10 *something* list from that character's POV - but I ended up telling the story through the list instead, haha. I'm glad the voice came through and that the 'twist' was interesting!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Looks like Susie Z is going to have a lot to deal with. Susie Z is a member of a very powerful family and she was destined to save the world. The Dad works for The Assassin. That’s why he’s back. The Dad and The Assassin put the goo in the street, sent out the monsters, and took away the noodles. The cat has been sent to help Susie Z with her powers. Mariana lives a double life. Honor student by day, hero by night.

These are just all of my theories! I’ll read more of these stories. I liked this one.

I wish you a great day/night.

Liminality says...

Ooh those are interesting theories! Thanks for the review!

Ofc! Glad you like the theories.

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous