z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Bad Lights, Good Lights [Chapter 6.1 - Intermission]

by Lightsong


Four days ago

As usual, Azhar hid under the bed when Faris came into the room. Next to him was a spooky yellow light with a very low humming voice. He wanted to yell when he saw it, but he knew better not too when Faris was around. Thank goodness Faris fell straight to the lower bed. If Azhar’s guess was correct, Faris came from the football gam. The bed bent slightly downward, almost pressing Azhar’s skinny body.

The cracking, loud snores started, then, and Azhar knew it would be difficult to awaken Faris at this point, given how he slept like a log. Azhar didn’t came out of the bed. Instead, he asked the light with unstructured voice: “A-are you re-real, or i-is this my mind playing wi-with me?” He was scared for sure, but at the same time he was intrigued by the appearance of it, and most of the times his intrigue won.

“I’m real,” the light said, a squeaky whisper, almost emulating his. “I think it’s better for you not to make any sound that would wake the bully. My recent observation’s enough to say he has unhealthy tendency to violence.”

How does it know that? Azhar wondered, but this was not the time for that. He considered what he should do. Well, he was safe right now - Faris would not disturb him any soon given how dead-like Faris was. And this light... he didn’t know what to do with it. The realization that there was floating light in the middle of the dark room that could talk scare him, but when it showcased its voice combined with its rather vibrant colour, it didn’t seem too scary. Harmless, in fact.

“Humans mistake us as harmless creatures because of our appearance,” it said like it could read his mind. Or maybe his face spelled his thought clearly.

“Let’s go to my bed,” he said in a whisper. Wow, I actually sounded brave.

He slowly crawled out of the musty, tight space, wearing a blue-stripped white pajama, courtesy of the orphanage staffs. Fresh air met his nose as he climbed to the upper bed, making sure every step landed at the right place slowly, careful not to awaken Faris. When he sat on it and turned around, the light was behind him already. He almost screamed as he didn’t anticipate it to appear that close.

He lied sideway on the bed, covering himself with a worn brown blanket for warmth out of the cool atmosphere and rested his head on the almost-flat pillow. He looked straight at the light that was floating in a subtle manner.

“What do you want from me?” he said.

Like other lights that came before it, Flaxen said the same thing: “Do you need my help?” It added, “I can grant you anything, but please, nothing harmful or dangerous. I prefer to end alive after fulfilling your wish.”

This light seems to like being dramatic, he thought. Then again, he always exaggerated stuffs, so he was no different than it. Should he be honest to it? Well, there was nothing to lose if he did, was there? He grabbed the blanket tighter.

“I just wish everything would turn back to the way there are,” he said. “If only Mum and Dad didn’t go to the volunteer program. If only they didn’t, as selfish as it sounds, help others so much. I want them to pay their attention to me again. We were always moving from one place to another. I want to tell them it needs to be stopped. I don’t want to stay here.” He realized a warm wetness flowing over his cheek, and he hated the fact that he cried too easily.

“A broken heart,” it said with a sad whisper. “No wonder I’m attracted to you. You resonate something familiar to me.”

He didn’t understand what did it mean, but he didn’t say anything. Silence between them hanged on the air like a clock freezing time. They both stayed still, letting Faris’ snores breaking the silence like a bad background music. He realized he finally said it. He finally told someone - something, in this case - about what was wrong. It felt good, letting this off his chest.

“Well,” it said, finally breaking the silence for sure, “it’s time for you to stop crying. Your parents won’t come back, sorry, but it doesn’t mean you don’t deserve happiness. You need to move on. Focus on something else. They would frown at you if they see you like this.” The sternness in its voice was undeniable - it reminded him to Mum.

He wiped his tears and attempted a smile. “It’s easier said than done. It’s only been a year since they died - I need to go through the wrecking ball phase.” He chuckled faintly on his own joke. The light didn’t get it.

“It’s okay, we have time more than a year to do that - starting by tomorrow. Right now, you need some sleep. Maybe you’ll find something that would make you happy later,” it said.

Azhar smiled, oblivious to what was going to happen, and closed his eyes. The presence of the light gave him a sense of having a company, and it was calming. He slept seconds after Faris snored.

Three days ago

Azhar opened his eyes as someone tugged his shirt. He felt the hard surface bearing his body, and realized after letting his hand roamed around it, that it was a floor. The morning was freezing like being in a refrigerator, and he looked up to see who was it that awoken him. It was Mrs. Ana, and she seemed to be worried.

He sat up, rubbing all over his body while trembling to give some warmth to it. He looked around; he was in the living room. Mrs. Ana kneeing in front of him with Faris standing who seemed to be anxious more than worried with him biting his lower lip. A few kids went to them - some yawning, some messing with their hairs - to see what had happened.

He needed to know what had happened too. “Why am I here?” He remembered about the light’s words the previous night, and had the slightest suspicion it was behind this. He wasn’t sure how yet.

Mrs. Ana grabbed his shoulders firmly. “My poor dear,” she said. She glanced at Faris with obvious anger. “You don’t have to keep acting like you don’t know what’s happening. Someone told me Faris forced you to sleep on the floor. They also said they heard screams coming from your room a while ago. I regret not knowing this earlier. We must’ve been thinking how horrible living in here.”

“I told you; I didn’t do anything,” Faris said, the anxiety apparent in his voice like a caught thief. If it was Azhar, he would sound angry rather than anxious when being accused to something he didn’t do. The anxiety Faris showed just made things worse.

A sudden anger like a boiling water rushed in Azhar’s body. Whatever the light did, he could use it to actually pay back what Faris had done to him. It was revenge, yes, but someone needed to teach that brat a lesson. He was glad if everyone else saw it - perhaps there would be no more bullying in this house.

“Yes, he did it,” he said, sounding sad. Tears came out from him easily. Good. Let’s make it as horrible as possible. “He forced me to sleep on the floor or else he would lock me in the bathroom. I didn’t want to - I’d told him clearly about that - but he kept dragging me, dragging me to here, and he kicked me until I fell down. He placed his foot on my head to keep me lying on the floor, all the while laughing. No one came; it was late at night.”

Faris looked at him with widened eyes. Azhar looked at him back with unblinking stare. Mrs. Ana stood up, breathing hard like was containing a mad anger in her. Faris looked at her and Azhar saw, then, the tremble that had possessed his body. He could see the damage was done. Faris would never look at him the same as before, and he would have the final laugh. This was what he needed to move on. Picking on the thorns that kept hurting him and throwing them aside to the river.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:12 am
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



*Bursts through the door dramatically* I have escaped from the clutches of that horrible beast called Life! I can now review as I please!

Yeah...sorry this took so long to get around to. Anyway, straight on to the review!

I like the idea of intermission chapters - it's funny because the other readers are confused by an "intermission" chapter whereas I'm so used to it from WoR and other big fantasy books I'm not even fazed. xD But yeah, I think this is a good way to show what's going on in the larger scheme of things.

Specific things - I actually don't remember Azhar, but that's probably because of the long time it's been since I was reading this last. I'll just roll with it, though - I can understand this anyway.

Something I was confused on - is Faris actually a bully? Because at the beginning of the chapter, it seems that Azhar thought of him that way, but then when he's telling Mrs. Ana about Faris, in his head he's acting like he's lying, and the end of the scene certainly plays out that way. If Faris isn't a bully, why is Azhar making him out to be? What does Azhar have against him? I hope you go back to/explain this later.

I also don't understand why he wakes up on the floor, though I bet it has something to do with his light.

I like the idea that he's going to be a bit of a rogue - it gives him more depth. I was also particularly interested in how the light says that they have more than a year to get Azhar over his grief, and how if the light grants a wish that is harmful or dangerous, the light will end up dying. (At least, that's how I interpreted it.) I think that has some really interesting implications.

A couple nitpicks -

Silence between them hanged on the air like a clock freezing time

Should be "Silence hung in the air between them...

It’s okay, we have time more than a year to do that - starting by tomorrow.


And that's all I've got for you! On to the next part!




Lightsong says...


Faris is indeed a bully - it's the reason Azhar hides under the bed, anyway. I don't show how and what he's done, though.

The thing about him being on the floor would be explained. :)

And you don't remember Azhar because... well, he's referred without his name in the chapters before. xD

Thanks for the review, anyway! :D



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 3966
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:50 pm
View Likes
backroadstraveler wrote a review...



You have an interesting concept here with introducing the idea of a lone warrior, but like Carlito, I was left really confused.

Though in hindsight this makes more sense, I had no idea what you meant by saying an 'intermission chapter'. I would come up with a clear plan as to how you are intending to differentiate between the two threads, especially when you're eventually getting read for publication. Also, I couldn't place Azhar at all either. I would either incooperate him further into Merah's stroyline beforehand, or pick up this section starting with the interaction you already mentioned. Just find a way to tie the two together.

Also, as far as the actual section goes, I am a bit confused about the exchanges going on here. First, I would make it a little claerer that his parents have died, and that's why he's so upset. Also, I would like to see a little more of the actual relationship/conflict between Axhar and Faris. I get that Faris is a bully, but what exactly does he do? Also, are they actual siblings, or is it just more of a 'foster' relationship? I don't get how they are exactly connected.

Outside of the confusion, I thought this part was well written, and that you did a good job of characterizing both Azhar and Flaxen!

Hope I was a bit of a help, and I'm sorry that I didn't have more specific comment or you this time around!
-backroadstraveler




Lightsong says...


Thanks for the review!

I planned to, after several chapters, reveal bit by bit what happens to Azhar. He's the runner who has the light Flaxen, the one that doesn't like Scarlet. I feel compelled to write his side of the story rather than brushing him off as a character that would cooperate with Merah later on. I don't plan to focus on him as much as I focus on Imran or Sarah because I've other characters to take care off like the lights and Damon.

Since this is Chapter 6.1, there would be two more subchapters regarding Azhar with the time frame being ended until the day the female student dies. I hope I can clear some of the things you've mentioned. Azhar would become a unique light companion because... well, you just need to read the next subchapter later! :D

Thanks again! :)



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:37 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again! :D (And now for the review you actually requested!) And I apologize in advance because I think this review is going to be shorter than the others.

Well now I'm terribly confused... Now I came in late to this story and I'm going to assume Faris and Azhar were introduced at an earlier date? I didn't realize there were going to be multiple POV lines in this story! I usually really like stories like that, and if that's what you're going for here there are a couple of things I think you should keep in mind.

First, you might want to consider giving more updates or chapters about these characters. I want to know as much about them and their motivations and their personalities and who they are as I do your main characters. I think that's part of why this chapter left me so confused is that I don't know anything about any of these characters or how they relate to the main three. (And again, this could be because I missed the first couple of chapters and maybe there's going to be a big reveal about how they relate later, but I'd still like some more development there).

Instead of focusing on a lot of nit-picks and specific things like I've done in previous chapters, I think you should go over some of the other things I've said and try to apply it to this chapter, too. Try changing the size and font of the document and reading the whole thing out loud to catch some of the grammar mistakes and awkward wording things. Think about your transitions and descriptions and re-stating things that have already been said and assumptions and anything else :) I thought your previous two scenes were stronger than this one, so review what you did for those scenes and try to apply it to this one.

I'll leave things there for now, but if you're having trouble applying any of the things we talked about to this scene or identifying what areas need some extra love, let me know and I'll try to help! And please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! :D




Lightsong says...


Azhar is mentioned in the earlier chapters. He's the guy Merah couldn't convince to join her due to his light disliking Scarlet. I don't want him to join them and act more like a lone warrior. Since this is an intermission chapter, there's not much readers can see from him. Readers would get a bit of the progress from his side from time to time, but I prefer him to be the mysterious guy who's going to help Merah later on.

Thanks for the review! :D




Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman