Bad Lights, Good Lights [Chapter 7.1]

by Lightsong

When we got back to the house, Father was waiting for us in the living room. He sat on the sofa, leaning his back against it with a cigarette hanging in his mouth. Irregular line of smoke spiraled upward. One of his arm was leaning on the sofa, and his eyes were fixed on the television. The screen showed Al-hijrah program, a channel based on Islam religion. It was his favourite channel nowadays.

I didn’t want to sit with him not only because I still had bitter feelings from the scolding he gave to me the other day, but also because I hated the pungent smell of the cigarette smoke. I had made Imran and myself vow not to smoke because it was unhealthy and didn’t make you attractive or mature at all. Some of the guys in my class smoked, and I never wanted to talk to them because of it.

“Merah, come here,” Father said, stopping me from going to my escape place.

I sighed silently, and turned around to him. Imran was sitting beside him, watching the television. He wasn’t much of a religious person, but he was a curious one, and religious stuffs were interesting to him. I sat at the sofa opposite to them, taking off my scarf, which wasn’t compulsory to wear in the house.

“Yes, Father?” I said, my voice came out slow. I didn’t make eye contact with him and fixed my eyes at the tiny bowl on the table between the sofas made to dump cigarette ashes.

“Tomorrow is holiday,” he said, shaking the tip of his cigarette on the bowl. “We need to wash the cars.”

No! I thought. The search would start tomorrow. I looked at him. “I’ve a plan tomorrow, Father, with Imran. Can’t we wash them on Sunday?”

Father’s eyebrows knitted into a frown. “Your plan is more important than your Father’s? It’s been a week, and the cars are dirty.”

I knew where this was going. It was the time Father wouldn’t back down. He didn’t like people arguing with him, and I happened to always argue with him more than Imran. He didn’t like his daughter to be like that. He wanted me to be proper and obedient, but I wasn't. I just inherited his stubbornness. And it wasn’t like I didn’t want to help him washed the cars at all.

“The plan Imran and I have is just once for all. After that, we’re not doing it again,” I said. This was the part where I should say “please”, but it would give the power of decision in his hand. “We promise to wash the cars on Sunday.”

Imran patted Father on his shoulder. “I wouldn’t want to carry out the plan if it isn’t important, Father,” he said, his voice gentle, soothing to hear. “Please let us go tomorrow.”

Father snorted and sucked his cigarette. “Malaysian kids these days. Always get what they want, never care about their parents’ hardship. Fine. I’ll let you go with whatever plan you have there. Am sure you’re going to regret it.” He crushed the cigarette on the table and left the living room. I assumed he was going to his bed to sleep before eleven o’clock when he would go to the bitch’s shop.

Imran shook my shoulder lightly. “That was dangerous, Merah,” he said, a slight frown etched on his face. “You know Father’s temper has no timing. I don’t understand why Father couldn’t let us go for one day before we do his bidding, but I do understand your approach was wrong. You’re making your relationship with him worse.”

“Is it me, or is it him who makes it like that?” I said bitterly, folding my arms. I turned my head from the direction Father left to the television. The program didn’t look interesting at all. “You know how he has spent lesser time with us when he married that bitch. He worked at day, watched the telly and slept a bit at night, and went to the bitch’s shop before going to her home. If not, he slept in our house and the same routine happened the next day.”

Imran frowned at my referring to Saloma as an animal. “She’s not a bitch,” he said as a matter-of-fact, then sighed. “That’s rude, but I know how you feel. That being said, you’re making yourself look worse in front of Father, and if you continue like this, his love would be on the Saloma’s orphan children only.”

Like swallowing a bitter medicine, it was hard to deny him. Unlike me, Saloma’s children were more abiding, although they still called Father as “uncle”. I closed my eyes and leaned my head to the sofa. I needed some rest. There was too much for me to think right now. I didn’t know how my search with Damon would turn out tomorrow. What was more, I didn’t want to think how Sarah and Imran would cooperate. Sarah with her flirtings, sure, but Imran? He might flirt back like he did before. That was troubling.

I turned to him. “Let us forget about our Father issue for a while, okay? I’ve mixed feelings of what’s going to happen tomorrow. Especially knowing you’re going with Sarah. Don’t encourage her, I beg you. The thought is just disturbing.”

Imran’s wilted eyes widened, the light coming back to them. He chuckled, taking the telly’s remote control. “Well, to be honest, I’m learning on getting used to her attitude. I just think being anxious about it isn’t the best thing to do.”

Don’t! I screamed in my mind. I don’t want to call her my sister-in-law. Never! I sent a dagger glare on him. “I’m pretty sure you want to live tomorrow, Imran,” I said, gathering all the coldness into my voice. “I don’t want to see our family reduced to three.”

Imran’s attention was already in the television. The channel was now changed to Star World, and he was watching Devious Maids. Weirdly enough, he liked watching all these stupid dramas. His favourite was UnREAL, for goodness sake. Before he dragged me to watching the drama, I better escaped. I had things to do with Scarlet. I stood up and left the living room with a weak “good night” to Imran.

When I was in the room, Scarlet exited my body and floated on the bed. I followed him and sat on it, getting ready for what was going to happen. “Okay, so you’re going to train me how to use my power. Make it fast and short because I need to use it tomorrow.”

Scarlet hummed, unpleased with my impatience. “You’re lucky to have a light like me,” he said. “My ability is telekinesis, and to use it require some concentration and an unbroken will. Since you’re a human, you need to use gestures to help with your concentration. To have an unbroken will means to constantly think of moving the things you want to move. These things are mental stuffs, so they wouldn’t exhaust you more than they would if they’re physical stuffs.”

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! Have my 650th review! :D

I must say, your writing has improved leaps and bounds since you first started this story! Many of the things I mentioned in early chapters are no longer issues for me. Your writing is a lot stronger and I can tell you've settled into the plot and the characters a bit because it seems to flow more naturally as well. So nice work! :D I love when I see progressions like that!

On to the good stuff!

I loved this opening paragraph. You set the scene really nicely with what the dad is doing and all of the little details to make the scene feel realistic. This also sets the tone nicely. The way he's sitting and what he's doing make me feel like bad things are coming.

And here we have a great internal monologue! This is perfect. You show her feelings towards her father and his actions and why she feels that way. Love it.

Imran was sitting beside him, watching the television.

Now Merah and Imran just got back. They just saw their father. I got the impression that Imran was standing with her but he's actually sitting. Since when was he sitting? While things are being described and Merah internally monologues, still show what Imran does, even if it's as simple as him taking a seat next to his father.

I sat at the sofa opposite to them, taking off my scarf, which wasn’t compulsory to wear in the house.

Love the little cultural detail here.

Love the action and description you include with the dialogue!

“Tomorrow is holiday,”

"Tomorrow is a holiday,"

And here's another beautiful internal monologue! Ignore what I said earlier about maybe making this third person. Keep this first and make the earlier chapters like this! :D

“The plan Imran and I have is just once for all. After that, we’re not doing it again,”

The wording here is a bit funny. I think "The plan Imran and I have is just for one day." would sound better and you could leave it at that and not include the second sentence.

This was the part where I should say “please”, but it would give the power of decision in his hand.

Love this! I have a weakness for rebellious ladies :P
One little wording thing. I would say "but it would give him the power to decide, and I didn't want him to have that." I added the little part on the end about her not wanting that just to solidify that this is something she wants to avoid.

“I wouldn’t want to carry out the plan if it isn’t important, Father,”

"wasn't" instead of "isn't."
I really like the subtle contrast in how Imran and Merah try to sway their father to do what they want.

Am sure you’re going to regret it.”

Ominous!!

when he would go to the bitch’s shop.

The use of "bitch" gets repetitive, especially in a few paragraphs it's used a lot. Are there other ways she can refer to this woman just to change things up every now and then. I get that she doesn't like her, but I would prefer a bit of a broader vocabulary.

“You know how he has spent lesser time with us when he married that bitch.

Wording - "You know he's spent less time with us after he married that bitch."
Contractions help make dialogue sound more natural. (By the way, I think your dialogue has improved a lot too.)

He worked at day,

"He worked during the day"

Love this internal monologue and how you gently transitioned into the next topic of conversation. Great!! :D

I’m learning on getting used to her attitude.

"I'm learning to get used to her attitude."

Imran’s attention was already in the television. The channel was now changed to Star World, and he was watching Devious Maids. Weirdly enough, he liked watching all these stupid dramas. His favourite was UnREAL, for goodness sake.

I'm guessing these are real TV shows. I don't know if there's a rule about mentioning real TV shows (like copyright stuff). You wouldn't have to worry about that unless you intended on publication. However the other thing to consider is that the majority of your readers have never heard of or seen these shows. You could include the names for the cultural aspect, but it will be lost on many readers.

When I was in the room, Scarlet exited my body and floated on the bed. I followed him and sat on it, getting ready for what was going to happen.

I thought this transition was a bit weaker. I would like more internal monologue about what she plans on doing when she gets to her room.

The improvement is really amazing. You should be proud! I'm proud! :D I'm looking forward to reading on and seeing what's going to happen next! In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! :D

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:34 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Greetings, Light! Wolfie here to review, as requested. :) Keep in mind - since I'm not familiar with the other chapters, the reviews I'll do for Chapter 7 will be focused primarily on style, technical things, and whatever glimpses of characterization I can find. Maybe once I've followed this book for a while (I love following novels!) I can help you out a bit more.

I read through 6.3 and now I have an understanding of your title. From what I can gather, everyone has little guardian angel-esque "lights" of different colors that act as their little mentors. Merah's (at the moment, at least...?) is red, and from what the typical archetypes of red tell me, that already tells a lot about her character. Neat! When I've seen links for your chapters around the site or as your status updates and whatever, I've always thought that Bad Lights, Good Lights a good title, one that's simple but effective. I'd guess that Scarlett would be an example of a "Bad Light," due to his color, but then again I'm only making assumptions. xD

Irregular line of smoke spiraled upward.

That's a fragment. Just add "an" at the beginning.
One of his arm was leaning on the sofa,

Arms.

The descriptions of the father in the first paragraph are written in rather short, choppy sentences. If that's your way of portraying Mirah's voice, tediously and dully reciting her father's usual routine, that's fine, but I recommend combining at least some of them. I've found the examples in this document particularly useful in making my own long, flowing ones, depending on the mood. In any case, this is just a recommendation - keep the short sentences if you like and save the long ones for other instances. A good balance between the two is ultimately what you want to have.

I think this little bit of information comes slightly too late. While you're describing the scene of her father on the couch, I would think Merah would instantly notice Imran there too and include him in the description.
“Your plan is more important than your Father’s?

In this case, "Father" shouldn't be capitalized. Normally, Merah is calling him Father as a name, in which case she would capitalize it. Here, not so much.
I didn’t want to help him washed the cars at all.

Just a little nitpick. Remember to proofread! If it helps, read your chapters out loud to find the awkward-sounding parts. Sometimes what sounds perfectly fine in our brains isn't the same when we hear it. :P
“The plan Imran and I have is just once for all.

"Once for all?" What does she mean by that?
a slight frown etched on his face

I'm not sure I like that verb here. The word "etched" indicates something permanent, like a statue etched in stone.
Like swallowing a bitter medicine, it was hard to deny him.

I like that simile.

The paragraph beginning with "Irman's attention" could use some of those longer sentences to alleviate the choppy-ness.

So far, I like where this is going. It seems like you'll be treating your readers to some action soon, or whatever the plan is. Realistically, though, I find it odd that Mirah and Imran's father allowed them to carry through with their "plan" without even knowing what they were going to do. Is that a part of their society? Is it normal for teens to just wander off with a "plan" and skip out on washing their father's cars?

I feel like I can't get into much analysis until I've read the other two parts of the chapter, so I'm leaving this review here. Great job! :)

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! Uh, mo, it's not normal, especially for a parent like Father. I guess I need to edit that. >.>

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:44 am
TheLittlePrince wrote a review...

Amazing!
The way you portray the characters is commendable, especially the father, whom you've antagonized without really antagonizing him. I've not read the rest of "Bad Lights, Good Lights ", yet I could grasp what was going on and really liked it. Kudos for that! You've kept the optimum length which is neither too short nor too long. I loved you work and am looking forward to reading more stuff from you.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:10 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I've almost caught up now! Let's dive right into it.

I like this scene with their father here - you pretty clearly show that he's a jerk without actually getting into abuse or anything like that. Merah and Imran's reactions to him are particularly telling - even though he doesn't do anything too terrible in this scene, their fear of him tells all we need to know.

Sometimes I forget Scarlet is a guy. I'm used to hearing it as a girl's name.

Nice job slipping in the country name. xD

I didn’t want to sit with him not only because I still had bitter feelings from the scolding he gave to me the other day,

Was this the time he wouldn't hold her hand during the prayer and then was mean afterwards?

“My ability is telekinesis

Awesome! I think it could be very easily over-powered, though. A random question - can they only use the light's powers while the light is inside them? I think that would make sense. Also, we've confirmed that the lights can use their powers by themselves, without the help of a human, so why do they need humans in the first place? Is the power stronger or something?

Also, for the light who's power is possessing people, how will his human possess people? Would he have to leave his body someplace safe and then control the other persons body? The implications here are very interesting, and I can't wait to see how they play out.

These things are mental stuffs, so they wouldn’t exhaust you more than they would if they’re physical stuffs.

This is a bit unclear. If she lifts a fork, would it take just as much energy as lifting a real fork? Or would it only take concentration, not actual physical energy?

In general, I thought a few parts of the conversation between Father, Merah, and Imran sounded a bit off, so you might want to take a closer look at it, read it aloud, that sort of thing. Other than that I wasn't really confused by anything.

Anyway, great job here. I'm glad I'm caught up now, and definitely looking forward to the next chapter. :D

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content