Bad Lights, Good Lights [Chapter 6.2 - Intermission]

by Lightsong

Five minutes later, in Mrs. Ana office, Faris and Azhar stood in front of her, her table being the only hindrance between her and the both of them. The wall around them was painted milky white with a simple wood-brown vase of jasmine flowers at the corner decorating it. Metallic black shelves leaned against one of the wall, filled with documents. Mrs. Ana leaned against the flexible maroon chair, one arm resting on the chair arm, supporting her cheek. Azhar knew she was waiting to hear Faris said what they wanted to hear.

“What are you going to say, Faris?” she said, prompting him to break the silence.

Faris was looking down, biting his lower lip. He stole a glance at me before saying slowly, “I’m sorry, Azhar, for bullying you. I hope you’ll forgive me.”

Forgiveness? Easy to say, but can you really, actually regret what you’ve done to me? Can you really tell to my face you’re not apologizing just to speed things up? Azhar wondered, his unbroken stare fixed on Faris.

Mrs. Ana leaned forward, arms flattened on the table. She tilted her face at Faris. “Anything you want to add?” She tapped her finger.

Azhar could see Faris’s hand folding into a fist. He knew it was hard for Faris to say what Mrs. Ana and him wanted to hear, but he realized he was enjoying this. Finally, it was Faris who didn’t know what to do, who sweated out of nervousness and fear, and who got the truly deserved punishment. Azhar could replay this scene many times in his head while smiling.

Faris looked at Azhar with a stare surprisingly firm. The tremble he had just now was gone. “I’m sorry for what I’ve done,” he said with a steady voice. “I swear I’ll never do it again. What I’ve done is something I thought I’m not capable of; it turned out I was wrong.”

Azhar frowned. He got what he wanted to hear - the regret and the statement of not doing it again. Faris’s wording, however, was weird. He added the last part to remind Azhar this was not his doing; this forcing Azhar to sleep on the hard, cold floor was beyond his capability. Azhar gulped. Only the two of them knew what happened, and only Azhar knew what exactly happened. Mrs. Ana didn’t.

Azhar faked out a smile of reassurance, the one that didn’t reach the ear. He hugged Faris tightly and patted his back. “This apology is also for the past wrongdoings you’ve done to me. Remember that,” he said, his voice dropped to a whisper as his mouth was near Faris’s ear, his face hidden from Mrs. Ana by Faris’s head.

He released the hug. “It’s okay, bro. I forgive you.” The smile stayed, but he was still nervous inside. Hopefully no one would believe Faris’s words.

Mrs. Ana nodded slightly and smiled. “This is what I wanted to see,” she said. “Now, Faris, as a punishment for the thing you’ve done, you are to clean the toilets for a couple of days.”

Faris’s eyes widened, and he frowned. He shifted his attention to Mrs. Ana and Azhar a few times, his jaw dropped in disbelief. “Cleaning toilets! You’ve never given a punishment this harsh - you know this one is the worst!”

Mrs. Ana stood up. She didn’t smile, neither did she frown. She put on a perfect poker face, a firm one. She took the yellow file on the table and rearranged it before holding it up to Faris.

“This is your file, Faris. In here lies the record of your behaviour for the time you’ve been here, which means it also records your bullying activity. It is my suspicion that the bullying didn’t start just yesterday as there should be something leading up to it. Perhaps you’ve done other nasty things to Azhar, and he just doesn’t tell me about it. However, I’d let those things pass as long as you’ve repented your wrongdoings and willingly receive the punishment.

Faris’s stare on the file was intense. Azhar could see it clearly. He also knew that just like other orphans, Faris couldn’t wait to get out of this orphanage and have his own family. This average orphanage wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t impressive either. The food everyday was the same; it was nasi lemak at morning, either noodles or fried rice at afternoon, and traditional snacks at night. There was not much activity here except for simple sports like ping pong, badminton and football. Even then, the firm rules here wouldn’t make one enjoy his living here.

Faris let out a heavy sigh and ran his hand through his hair. “Okay, fine. I’d do it as long as you keep my record clean,” he said, his low voice indicating his defeat. He looked at Azhar before staring at the floor. “I’d also stop my bullying.”

Azhar smiled. If Faris did anything harmful to him again, he’d just tell Mrs. Ana about it. The problem he had been dealing for a year had ceased. He didn’t expect it to come surreally like this, of course, but he welcomed it nonetheless. That being said, he really needed to know what had happened last night. It was impossible he’d sleepwalked for it never happened, and the warden always roamed around the house an hour before curfew and another hour after that. It must be something to do with that light.

After Faris voiced his regret, Mrs. Ana exited the room with a hint of smile, motioning him to follow her to the toilets where she was going to brief him about the punishment. She also hoped the two of them - Faris and Azhar - would get to know each other better in the near future and become friends. Azhar felt like throwing up hearing that. Faris was the definition of violence, a complete antithesis to Azhar’s pacifist nature. Faris was willing to use brute force to get what he wanted - Azhar? Never.

Azhar was cowardly. He hid under the bed to escape Faris’s painful punches and sharp kicks. He’d never make a sound even when several mosquitoes bit him, if that what it took to avoid Faris’s way of enjoying himself. He knew it by hearing Faris’s maniacal laughter, and he couldn’t understand why. Why would Faris take pleasure on hurting others? Azhar would never done that to anyone.

Azhar quickly went into his room. His room was on the second floor of the orphanage, two floors from Mrs. Ana’s office - first floor was for eating, relaxing, and playing with your friends; second floor was for the girls; and third floor was for the boys. He ran his way through there, stumbling several people. The interior design of the orphanage was simple - floors with white squared tiles and walls painted with pale brown.

When he arrived to his room’s door, his breathing was still steady. It was one of the advantages of being a school runner. Azhar had been practicing everyday on his running, hoping to be the best runner of the school. He was Blue House runner, and would be competing others for the best runner sport. Sometimes he thought the reason he liked running so much was because maybe with that he could escape from all the things threatening him.

He opened the door, quickly went inside and turned around to close it. When he turned back to his bed, he let out a gasp after seeing them. He felt the energy in his feet being sucked out. They trembled and lost their balance, making him fell to the wall and floor. He couldn’t believe it. If the yellow light was enough creepiness, this was worse.

On his neatly-arranged bed were three lights - the yellow light, a sky blue light, and an emerald green light, all floating.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! Okay, I skimmed over the chapters I reviewed for you way back when I think I'm all ready to move forward now. I skimmed over my review of 6.1 and how confused I was and while I'm still a bit confused, I think I liked 6.2 much better. Brace yourself, because I have a couple of huge (maybe crazy) suggestions for you for draft 2.

1. Maybe write the whole thing in third person.

Your third person writing feels a lot more natural to me than your first person writing. I'm not saying your first person is bad, but that it seems like third is easier for you. (Which if that's the case, that's totally fine!) I thought this flowed a lot better and felt more right to me. Now that I've seen both, the first person stuff almost feels like it's third person trying to be first person.

So. In the next draft you could get crazy and try writing the whole thing in third to see how it feels. You might find that it's easier and comes more naturally to you and you can tell the story easier that way. If you really want to keep Merah's part in first, that's fine too, but you're going to need a lot more voice and a lot more of her in it. This is a great article about first person writing and when to use it.

2. Maybe make the whole thing a multiple POV situation.

Even though I still don't remember who these characters are, I'm intrigued by their story and I find them interesting. I saw a comment you made on someone's review in 6.1 about how you felt the need to include his story. I think that's fine and that's great, but I think it'll be weird if his story only happens in one random chapter of third person and then you go back to first person Merah's story for the rest of the novel.

This might be a painful decision. If you think he's interesting enough to support his own story line, great. Make this a multiple POV situation. It's going to require a lot more work because you're going to have to write a bunch more of his scenes and weave him into the story, but it could end up being really cool. If you don't think he's interesting enough to support his own story line, then I would cut this entire chapter. And I know that's going to hurt because you like him, but sometimes painful things need to happen for the health of the novel. :( In the novel I'm working on right now, I'm writing the 4th draft and decided I need to cut two major story lines (it's a multiple POV thing) in order to be able to really develop the other story lines. It was sad, but I know it's making the novel better.

If you're on the fence, think about how he will end up impacting Merah. If he's going to somehow become a villain and end up fighting against Merah and the gang in some way, I think it would be really interesting to see his story unfold and develop alongside Merah's. If he's going to be on the good side but not necessarily working with Merah and the gang, it could still be interesting to follow his story and see how he helps (especially if eventually he teams up with Merah). If he's not really going to be part of the effort (either on the good side or the bad side) then I wouldn't give him his own story line and I would take the chapter out.

One other thing to consider if you go the multiple POV route is how you're going to execute each POV. There are no real rules here other than to be sure the reader can distinguish between the two POVs. You could easily have them both be in third. Merah could be in first (as long as she's still super voicey!) and he could be in third (I'm doing that with my novel). Or they could both be in first as long as they're both super voicey and the voices can be distinguished so you know who the scene belongs to.

That's a lot to think about and I hope I didn't rock your work too much! :D If you have any questions or you want to bounce any ideas off of me, let me know and go right ahead! Also, as I keep going with the story (and slowly get caught up) if there's anything I'm not mentioning that you want feedback about, let me know and I'll be sure to do that! :D

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:35 am
Mea wrote a review...

I'm back!

Overall, I like this part more than the last one - it clears up a few more things.

So, to my understanding, this is how it goes: Faris is a bully - he would kick and hurt Azhar for reasons we don't really know. However, he didn't make Azhar sleep on the floor, which is the incident that Mrs. Ana found out about. Then Azhar used that to get Faris in trouble for the bullying he actually did. That all makes sense. Yay! I really want to know what actually happened that night, though.

One thing - I don't think Faris' punishment is that bad at all. It actually seems to show a severe lack of judgement on Mrs. Ana's part - just cleaning toilets is a decent punishment if they were younger and fighting over a toy or something, but they're teenagers. That sort of thing doesn't work. Assuming Faris is being insincere and intends to repeat the pattern, it's not going to protect Azhar at all - in fact it'll just make Faris more mad and more likely to punish Azhar. It's not a good way to deal with bullying in general. I understand she thinks this is a mostly isolated incident, but I'd expect her to at least separate the two of them.

Also, Azhar is relived that Faris won't do it again because he can just tell Mrs. Ana and get Faris in trouble, but then why didn't he do that before? Was he too afraid? I think this is an important point to touch on - a lot of the time, bullying victims won't tell adults because they're being threatened by the bully and they're scared. This is why simply having the bully get in trouble once often doesn't work - the abuse will continue in private, with the bully threatening worse things if the victim "tells."

Something else I think is interesting - what does Faris' record have to do with his chances of getting out of the orphanage? Does it affect his education/job opportunities?

Anyway, this chapter did show a lot of improvement - in general it was very smooth to read, and overall I enjoyed it.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:44 pm
Lavvie wrote a review...

Hi Lightsong! I am finally here to deliver your review. Thanks for being so patient. :)

Because I have only read one other chapter and I haven't been keeping up to date, my review will be a little limited just because I am not familiar with the entire story. I hope that's okay!

From my foggy memory, I can recall your last chapter being a little less put together than this one, so I am pleased to read something that shows evolution in writing. Kudos to you!

The biggest thing that I think you should focus on is narrating things in general. At times, your sentence structure is a little awkward and some incorrect grammar contributes to that. Other parts seem a little crowded, with too much description going on or sentences that seem to go on for a little longer than they should. Something you might want to consider working on is actually emphasis – a technique that I discussed in my most recent Quibbles article – because sometimes it is misdirected. For example:

They trembled and lost their balance, making him fell to the wall and floor.

This is a strange sentence, particularly because "they" is replacing Azhar's feet. It makes it seem like his feet have a mind of their own and, yes, you might be implying that but it is really bizarre the way that it is written. It is almost as if you have personified them and it doesn't work very well. You should actually put the emphasis on Azhar himself, his feet being secondary. (Sidenote: it should be "fall" instead of "fell". Also, I don't understand what you mean by he fell to the "wall and floor"? I can't visualize that very well.)

I also talked about how you sometimes have too many words, unnecessarily. Word economy is still important in fictional prose because it helps clarity and flow. Where someone can write "the pizza of Jack", it is obviously much nicer to write "Jack's pizza", right? Keep that in mind. Here is an example from your chapter:

her table being the only hindrance between her and the both of them

It would be a lot simpler to just write: "Her table being the only hindrance between them".

Another thing – and I am not familiar with the plot line so I could be going off on a tangent here – is the weird way you have Faris apologizing to Azhar. It seems almost childish his response, biting his lip and looking ashamedly down at the floor. Furthermore, by Mrs. Ana calling it "bullying", she is somewhat implying that the incident was relatively immature, but from the chapter – which is pretty vague, assumedly because it occurred earlier on and the audience should know what is going on – it seems that it was actually pretty serious and Faris is infamous for harming Azhar in seriously negative ways. I feel that your words lack the strong connotation to really enforce the strained tone that is needed to adequately convey the severity of what is going on.

Overall, I think it fairly well-written and that is just a matter of making sure you have sensible sentence structure, good word economy, and a lexicon better suited to the events. Thanks for the nice read! As always, if you have any questions/comments/concerns, please don't hesitate to send me a message or leave a comment here!

Best,
Lav

The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare