z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

In the Eye (1/3)

by Lauren2010


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

The thing about that summer was everything felt like dreaming. Not the good kind of dreaming, either, where someone beautiful fell into your bed or you won the lottery or your dead grandma came back for your twenty-eighth birthday. It was the kind of dreaming where you stood over the cooktop with the sous vide in your granddad’s old beach house with the windows open and you couldn’t feel the kitchen tile underneath your calloused feet. The kind where you laid in bed naked and sticky and your lungs moved – inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale – but you didn’t breathe. The kind where morning came before you expected it, but by the time you realized it you couldn’t really even remember when it had been night.

On the good mornings, I was up before the sun with my backpack and a thermos of coffee. I’d leave through the screen door at the back of the beach house, pick up my sandals left by the bottom of the sagging stairs, and walk the winding wooden boardwalk to the beach.

I’d run away earlier that spring ‘cause I lost my job at the post office and sitting around my Chicago apartment only made me sad about it. Granddad always used to say, if you’re going to be sad might as well be sad at the beach. He’d died when I was twenty, three years after Gran, and left the place in my name with enough money set aside to maintain it without having to rent it out. Granddad hated tourists, and would have thrown a fit to find out his one and only grandkid was letting his private house out to spring breakers and young couples with honey moon eyes.

Most mornings weren’t good mornings. I’d lay under the hot, heavy comforter until well after noon imagining these huge, disembodied knives boring into my ribs until I couldn’t remember how much it would have actually hurt if they were real. I had to imagine that six or seven times before I could try to get myself up, and if I missed my opportunity I had to imagine it six or seven more times before I could try again.

After I got laid off, I called my parents and told them I didn’t know what I was supposed to do now. I couldn’t even leave the apartment; where the hell would I have even gone? My mother told me to get more sleep, do some yoga and think positive thoughts. My father told me to take my freaking medicine. He said things like that, “freaking medicine,” because his new wife had a five-year-old kid and he couldn’t say the things he used to say to me when I was a five-year-old kid.

That morning, I caught myself after the first seven disembowelments, but the coffee in the pot was still already cold when I poured it into my thermos. I set the pot every night, no matter what, to brew at six. If you didn’t turn the base off by ten, it turned itself off and your coffee got cold.

I drank a lot of cold coffee those days.

I screwed the top onto my thermos of cold coffee and splashed water from the kitchen tap onto my face. It was July by then, and already hotter than hell inside the house even with all the windows open. Granddad had never shelled out for HVAC, not even when Gran got sick. Outside, the air shifted and I exhaled into the breeze that shook the chimes I’d hung in the window over the kitchen sink. Somewhere to the south, out past Florida, a summer storm brewed. It wouldn’t hit the Carolinas if it even made land, but if I was lucky it’d do enough to cool the place down for the night.

I walked into the living room and flipped on the news, only staring at the weatherman for a moment before turning and leaving through the back door with the television still on.

The boardwalk to the beach was private, only accessible by the beach house and that was only accessible by a ten mile drive down a winding one-lane road. I assumed that if someone wanted to, they could walk an hour or so along the shore from the public beach and walk up the wooden boardwalk and murder me in my sleep. My mother would have told me to lock the doors, but I wouldn’t. No one had come to murder me yet, in the year I’d been living there, but there was always hope my luck would turn.

I picked up my sandals where they lived at the bottom of the stairs, but didn’t put them on. Granddad’s beach house was one of those raised numbers, though only half as high off the ground as it probably should have been. The underside was cluttered with old beach umbrellas and patio furniture that never got used, and the stairs off the back of the house let off in a moat of sand that circled between the house and acres of beach grass Granddad had planted from the house to the shoreline and as far up the road as he could afford to buy land. It rustled lightly against the boardwalk.

I crossed the moat to the short wooden stairs that lifted the boardwalk over the short dunes that rolled under the grass. It was a good half mile walk from the beach house to the water and I almost always needed to stop at the midpoint to catch my breath. I wasn’t fat or anything; even when I stopped delivering mail I only put ten more pounds on the one-thirty I’d carried since college. The sun just hurt, some, and my feet stung from being barefoot on the old weathered wood and the coffee was bitter and slowed me down.

When I stopped I looked back at the house, seafoam clapboard trimmed in white like someone had sketched it against the blue sky. With the sun high overhead and the beach grass drifting in the air, it set the house afloat.

My bare feet throbbed on the sun-bleached boardwalk and the sun throbbed against my temples until, finally, I tore my fingers through my hair – tangled, and caked in sand; no matter how long I showered I couldn’t get the fucking sand out of my hair – and dropped my sandals on the wood. I slipped them on, took a breath, and kept walking.

In the back pocket of my cut-off jean shorts, my phone buzzed with another reminder of the voicemail my mother had left me at eight that morning. I couldn’t be fucked to figure out how to turn off the reminders, so every five minutes since she’d called at seven the night before, my phone kindly pointed out that I was shirking the only real obligation I had left. If I didn’t call her back by seven that night, the county police and a team of paramedics would be at my door by eight. That had been the only deal I, a thirty-year-old adult woman, had managed to work out with my mom.

I pulled the phone from my pocket and flipped through to my voicemail. Georgia, my mother’s honey-sweet voice dripped through the speaker. Just thinking about you and checking in. Call me back when you get this.

My eyes burned in the sun, but I spun my back toward the beach – close enough the waves cresting toward the shore bled over the beach-grass-horizon – and snapped a picture of myself and a half-hearted thumbs up. Yoga on the beach today, I texted with it, hoping my mother knew little enough about yoga she wouldn’t wonder why I was out there doing it in one of grandma’s old cotton blouses with a thermos full of cold coffee.

Sounds fun!! she texted back, immediately.

I shoved the phone in my backpack and kept walking. When I worked for the post office, I loved to walk in the heat of the day. It soaked my uniform shirts with sweat and made me feel heavy. Now, the breeze off the water from the faraway storm cut through the heat and tangled my hair and shifted my grandmother’s baggy shirt around my waist and it was like I wasn’t matter. Didn’t matter. Hadn’t matter.

“Breathe,” I told myself. Inhale, exhale. My heart spun in my chest. I thought about whether I was getting bad again, whether I ought to call my mom and ask her to send a cab out to take me to the airport where I could buy a ticket and come back to Chicago.

Before I could let my head fall down that rabbit hole, I crested the wooden stairs that led up the last dune before the shoreline. There, in the middle of Granddad’s beach, my beach, was the grey lump of a whale sunk into the sand.

I dropped my backpack, wedged my thermos into the coarse, unkept sand at the bottom of the boardwalk stairs and walked up the beach.

“Oh, Jesus,” I said when I got close. The whale was small for what I imagined whales to be, just barely taller than me and I was a sold 5’5”. Brownish foam collected around its tail, still drifting in the shallow water. It bobbed, slowly, as the waves came in and washed back out. Its skin was still slick with seawater, and it huffed at me through its blowhole as if it had been waiting there specifically for me and I’d been running late. About time, Georgia. Now do something about this, it seemed to say as it fixed one of its black marble eyes on me.

I reached out and rested my fingertips on the whale’s rough, salt-wet skin. The animal made a sound like a moan. “Hold on,” I told it, as if it had a choice, and jogged back to my bag where I’d left it beside the boardwalk stairs.

I grabbed my cellphone and dialed the only number I could think of.

“911,” the operator stated, “what’s your emergency?”

Another wave crashed over the whale’s tail and the animal let out a long, dissatisfied groan. “I have a whale on my beach,” I told the operator. “I think it’s dying.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:23 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hiya, I saw the other two parts of this still in the Green Room so I'm going to review this then those two.

Nit-picks and nice moments:

After I got laid off, I called my parents and told them I didn’t know what I was supposed to do now.

Because of the tense, this sounds like it is the next thing that happens. I'd suggest "I'd got" and "I'd called" etc for the rest of the time the character is recounting this memory.

I drank a lot of cold coffee those days.

I really like how deadpan this is. Gets the tone across really well.

only accessible by the beach house and that was only accessible by a ten mile drive

Slightly repetitive but feels on purpose as part of the tone. If that's not on purpose though, something like "and you could only get there by" would be fine.

The sun just hurt, some,

I'm not totally clear what that's meant to mean. The sun just hurt some people? If so, I don't think you need the first comma.

I couldn’t get the fucking sand out of my hair

I think that's a really good moment to swear. The tension's been building, I think this was the right moment for a snap.

Overall:

I normally go through character, setting, plot and flow and point out things to work on in each area, but this is really good, so I'll instead point out what specifically works well.

First off, I think you capture mental illness really well. The bit about the knives as if it this is something that just happens, of course this happens, why wouldn't this happen, shows the irrationality of Georgia's brain, and how little control she has over it. This makes it really easy to sympathise with her and is how I was kept engaged while not a whole lot happened for most of the chapter.

Your description of the setting manages to make this simultaneously tranquil and oppressive. This shows the conflict in what Georgia sees and feels. She sees the peacefulness of the beach, similar to how she saw it in childhood, but she feels as if something is pulling her down constantly. I really, really enjoyed this.

You introduce your plot with such suddenness that it could be jarring if not handled carefully, but you manage to get tender feeling in towards the whale that makes it feel continuous. It also manages to leave on a cliffhanger, which is a lot more suspense than I was expecting to be left with from the rest of your chapter.

I'm off to your next part to find out what happens next :P

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2046
Reviews: 131

Donate
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 am
View Likes
beccalicious94 wrote a review...



Hi Lauren! Becca here for a quick review.

I don't usually read short stories, but this one caught my eye.

I thought it was interesting that you used a first-person narrative for this piece, and I think you definitely gave Georgia a voice. She seems a bit immature, like she hasn't figured herself out completely yet, and it comes across. A very relatable narrator for the modern millennial!

I thought your use of imagery throughout this piece was superb. You manage to depict the beach, and the house, and use nature references throughout, which I liked.

I also thought you seamlessly revealed information about the protagonist i.e. height, weight, etc. without it feeling forced.

I'd love some flashbacks to what life at the post office was like, what life was like back in Chicago, what Georgia was leaving behind exactly. I'm excited to read more!




Lauren2010 says...


Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 1105
Reviews: 24

Donate
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:52 am
View Likes
Lumos wrote a review...



Hi Lauren2010! Your story has a great start - the first paragraph starts a good tone! It did have a bit of a slow start, but I am curious to see what will happen. I love summer stories on the beach, there's just something about them.

I'll be honest - I was surprised to find out the character was 30. She seems heavily depressed for loosing a job, but maybe there is more bothering her. It seems a bit odd that a full grown woman would lose it like that after a lay off. Was her job at the post office that great? Or did something else happen?


You do have a great writing style, great job! I'll be curious what happens in the next part.

Lumos




Lauren2010 says...


You must be young xD 30 isnt all that old or experienced! Though I'm not surprised or disappointed that she reads as younger. Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 891
Reviews: 46

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am
View Likes
queenofscience wrote a review...



Hi. Wow! What a cool,'summer story' . ( Sorry, this story makes me think of Summer.) A breachfront house is super cool. And whales are cool, too. (In general, I love animals. I used to be obsessed with the animals that lived in the ocean.) I feel sorry for the animal, although I have never seen or have encountered a stranded animal. I have seen it on TV. In general, I like the concept of rescuing/helping an animal, although people have writen about beached whales/dolphins before.

I think that your main character is relatable. He's just your typical teenager. I felt like that most of this chapter was unrelatable. As in most of this chapter he wasn't doing anything plot-worthy. Just geting ready for his day/exploring the beach etc. Yes, we see some of his likes, but it's only towards the end that we hear about the stranded whale.

I am also wondering about his mother? Why does the whale make him think of her. Is she a marine biolgest or marine mammle veternarin? Also, on a side note, and this is up to you, well, I feel like the name Gerogia is chiche. This name is often in books, mainly for mothers. Fill free to keep it if it fits your character/is relavent to plot in some way. I also feel that 'sweet-honey voice' is also chiche. In the story, her text (diolauge) seems like somthing that a mother who was generaly concerned and wanted to check up on her son, would say. This isn't a bad thing,not at all. I feel like her text/reaction is realistic. Anyways, I piture her with a clear,maby concerened voice. However, everyone has different 'voice qualites'. Some voice a clear, high/low,raspy/wispy (like my voice) etc. There are so many different 'types' of voices, and some could be as a result from a health probleam.

That is all I have. Have a good day. Keep writing.




Lauren2010 says...


Thanks for the review! :)





Sure thing! :)




It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl