z

Young Writers Society


16+

When the Stars Went Out (Part 1)

by Lauren2010


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

I was seven years old when the stars went out.

Momma had yanked the blankets from my bed, my baby sister May Ann perched on her hip. “Put on your good church shoes, baby” she told me, her voice shaking but strong as I could ever remember, “Jesus is comin’ again.”

I’d hardly got the silky pink ribbons tied over my bare feet when Momma had me by the wrist and was dragging me behind her out onto the street in front of our looming apartment building. Every neighbor we had in that decrepit old place had already gathered around Momma’s old Chevy and were staring up at the sky.

They murmured to one another, anxiety buzzing around them like static. As Momma pulled us toward them I followed their worried gazes upward. Above us, hundreds of stars blinked out of the night sky. Not all at once; they flickered like the dying light in the hall outside our apartment before disappearing in one final flash of light. Like a hundred fireflies that couldn’t quite keep their lights on.

“The world’sa ending,” old lady Hanley stated, as if it were simply another sale at the grocery. “It’sa ending and we’re all goin’ with it.”

Momma’s grip tightened on my wrist, her nails digging into my skin. May Ann started to cry. I ground a clod of dirt with the toe of my white little shoe as my nightgown fluttered against my knees. I didn’t understand then, standing beside my mother looking up at a sky that wasn’t even familiar to begin with, that this would be one of the last times I’d see the night look whole.

I dragged a deep breath into my lungs, an invisible weight bearing down on my shoulders. I was seven years old and the world I’d been born to would never be the same again.

Of course, it turned out the world wasn’t ending, and Jesus was as far away as he every was, but the stars didn’t stop disappearing. And even with panic spreading across the country, the world, in the weeks that followed I couldn’t have really fathomed what it meant.

In fact, no one seemed to know what it meant. Researchers jumped on the anomaly almost as soon as the stars started going out, but when weeks passed and the night sky was still filled with light, most people calmed down. Momma stopped reading us the Bible every night and praying for our salvation. The news people started covering car crashes and the economy again. The kids at school moved on to new gossip. But the stars kept going out.

It wasn’t as fast as that night the world first took notice, but anyone could tell each night there were fewer stars lighting the sky than the night before. It was years, it seemed, before the world started caring again.

There were advocates, of course, and protestors and astronomers that never forgot about the stars. New research came into the news every few months claiming a new solution to a different source of the problem that would stop the stars from disappearing. May Ann and I would lay on the old shag rug in the living room and watch the protests on the television. Teenagers in black canvas bags pin-pricked with white would parade in front of the White House demanding to change to problems that only might have actually existed, and if they did they probably had little impact on the activity of bodies millions and millions of miles into space.

At twelve I scoffed at them. At seven May Ann would bury her face in the stained yellow shag and cry. Thanks to some smug little punk in her elementary school, she was convinced there were dragons or monsters or something flying around out there eating the stars.

“Don’t be dumb, May Ann,” I’d tell her. “Nothing’s eating the stars.”

She’d shoot up onto her knees, her little hands balled into fists in her lap and tears in her eyes. “Uh huh!” she’d cry. “Bobby Hayes said so. Monsters’re eatin’ the stars and they’re gonna eat us too!”

I’d push myself up by my hands to meet her height and settle my strongest stare on her. “Bobby Hayes is an idiot and if somethin’ was out there eatin’ anything they’d eat stinking Bobby Hayes first and spit him right back out.”

May Ann would break into a fit of giggles and I’d smile and we’d settle back down into watching the television. I didn’t tell her how pointless it was to worry so much; people could talk and talk but that still wouldn’t change the fact that someday the stars would be gone and we’d be left all alone. As far as I was concerned when the stars were gone, so were we.

No one ever seemed to come to any real conclusion about the stars, even for all the time everyone spent on the news talking about it. Eventually, I think the scientists gave up trying to get any real answers and just started to churn out more and more ludicrous theories and speculations aimed to placate an ever-anxious populous.

To be perfectly honest, after seven years of talk about the stars it started to lose its effect.

At fourteen, it felt like all anyone had talked about for as long as I could remember, and nothing ever came of it. It almost became an obsession, like a new television show or a new kind of shoe. Fear became fad. People started gathering; on rooftops during summer blackouts and in parks after midnight to watch the light flicker in the sky.

I had my first date that summer I was fourteen. Momma made me wash my hair and she spent an hour with the curling iron fitting it in the image of the daughter she thought I should be. I wore a new dress bought especially for church, though we didn’t go so much anymore. When Tony Dawson picked me up he had a picnic basket slung awkwardly under his arm, something his own momma must have fixed for him because I was always quite positive Tony Dawson wasn’t the kind of boy to touch a picnic basket with a ten foot pole if his momma didn’t make him.

Still, it was sweet in that embarrassing sort of way that made me snap the door shut behind me before Momma could try to talk to him or take our picture or something else embarrassing that single mommas with horrendously mannered daughters liked to do.

He took me to a park not a mile from my apartment where the lights had all been disabled in favor of the nightly spectacle in the sky. It was a good one, that night, I’ll admit. Stars fluttered and flashed away with a steadiness that almost seemed uncommon anymore. It was rare to get a good star night lately, though it never stopped people from going out and watching like Tony had brought me to do that night.

“Here,” Tony’d said, his mouth full as he handed me a peanut butter sandwich wrapped in cellophane as he dumped the basket on the ground and dug into his own dinner. He stood a respectable distance away from me, his gaze stuck to the sky as I watched him with curiosity. Why any boy would take me to see the stars, I didn’t know. I was hardly the prettiest girl in our class, and the stars were hardly new or different anymore.

“Why do you think it happens?” he’d asked at last, tearing his gaze away long enough to look at me hard and steady. He had peanut butter stuck to his mouth.

“Why do I think what happens?” I’d said back, though I’m sure I knew perfectly well what he meant.

“The stars,” he’d said. “The scientists say all sort of things. Like pollution and global warming and the ‘natural decay of celestial bodies’,” he made sarcastic air quotes with his sandwich still in one of his hands. “I dunno,” he kept on. “It just doesn’t seem like they actually care about finding out, ya know?”

“What does it matter?” I’d asked. “Why do you care about the damn stars? What’s it matter if they’re goin’ out.” I took another bite of my sandwich, almost angry about his so typical fixation on the sky. It was all anyone ever thought about.

“Well the sun’s a star, isn’t it?” he’d kept on. “If they keep goin’ out the sun will too, and what’ll happen to us then? Don’t you care you’re gonna die?”

I’d shrugged and crossed my arms over my chest. “We’re all gonna die anyway.” I don’t think I knew then that I’d hear Tony’s fourteen year old voice echoing those very words “Don’t you are you’re gonna die?” in my head for years after that night. I didn’t know if the sun would survive the epidemic sweeping the night sky, but by then endless repetition and teenage hormones had stopped me from caring.

Tony’d rolled his eyes and stuffed the last of his sandwich in his face. “You’re nuts.”

“Why’d you take me out here anyway?” I’d shot back. “You coulda insulted me in the yard at school like any regular boy if that’s what you wanted—”

“That’s not what I wanted,” he’d cut me off, looking genuinely upset I’d judged him.

I’d planted my hands on my hips. “Well what’d you want then?”

“I wanted to kiss you while there were still stars here!” he’d shouted at me before grabbing my face in his freshly scrubbed hands and planting his lips against mine. He tasted like peanut butter and wheat bread and I kissed him back.

Read Part 2 here


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 821
Reviews: 40

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:54 am
EmilieHaugaard wrote a review...



Hi there :)

This is so great. I think you have come up with a very interesting plot. I really want to know what is happening to the stars! And I think is kind of cute too :)

Your writing is really good, I especially like the dialougue, I felt the characters come to live, when they where talking. Her conversation with her little sister is very sweet :D

I think, especially the beginning has very nice description, and I love the way time passes, and people stop caring about the stars and the family doesn't go to church so much anymore. It seems very real :)

I like that we've were with her on a date. We really get to know the main character better, because of the way she interacts with Tony, and again the story becomes believable, because we get those real-life scenarios despite of the stars going out.

Amazing job, I can't wait to read part 2 :)

Just keep writing :D




User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 306
Reviews: 65

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 am
deleted17 wrote a review...



This is one heck of a story. My own little theory: Scientist say that the light from the stars take thousands of years to come to earth. Something blocked their path and it took thousands of years for us to notice.

Any way back to the story, not science Wholesomereader. I thought that this was artfully written and am glad that part two is out, now I can read it with out having to wait a llllooonnngggg time. ;)

I found the ending abrupt but fashionably so. I liked it and I also noticed that you put real life situations and what people would've done should this ever happen. I liked the style and I hope to see more in the future.

~Keep On Writing!~ Team Dory <3

With All Do Respect
Whole Some Reader




User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 10085
Reviews: 147

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 am
Carina wrote a review...



Hi, Lauren! Thought I'd drop by and review. :)

Imagine an exponential growth graph. It starts off a little slow at first as with any normal story, but gradually as time goes on and I keep reading onwards, the graph shoots right up along with my attentiveness. Midway through the story, it was like I was in the narrator's mind and I was fully entranced in the story. This is just about the main thing all writers want to accomplish, and you did this splendidly. The story flowed nicely, and really, I think the only thing that stopped this nice flowing stream from moving were a few typos here and there (though I knew what you meant, so it wasn't a huge deal, haha).

I think you could specify the time period a little better, because for some reason I'm imagining this, like, fifty years ago. It might be the way they're talking, or the fact that not a lot of current technology has been brought up, or maybe because they do things that people wouldn't have normally done now. It might just be me and my silly mind, but if you could drop a few more hints here and there about the current period (like, say digital TV instead of just television, or bring up a cell phone reference). However, I know the trick of being really vague in time periods so that the story can take place in any time frame, so if you're going with that instead, then don't mind me; you've passed your motive perfectly.

The ending felt a little rushed, though. Or maybe not rushed, but slightly cheesy (...or nutty, pfff). If this was her first date, I'm sure this would have been her first kiss, too. Perhaps you could elaborate more on what she was feeling?

I really do love the concept of this story, though. The stars are going out, and yes, I'd imagine that if this were to happen in real life, the years would go by and it would be old news; people will stop panicking or caring. Tony did have a point, however; if the stars are going out, wouldn't their star--the big flaming sun--go out too? It's interesting to think about, and I'm looking forward to continue to part two and read more about it.

Keep writing!

~Carina




User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 am
Rurouni wrote a review...



Ok.

I like this....

It shows how one topic can be played over and over and over until it basically disappears..

I found one little thing, '“Don’t you are you’re gonna die?”' should be, "Don't you care you're gonna die?"

I think this is interesting, and how you choose stars... And how you choose stars, because stars are a very loved thing....

So, I can't seem to find anything else, and I love how the characters talk, it's not formal, it's how some people talk..

Team Fire Flower

Thanks,

pegasusgirl2




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 am
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Lauren! Omg I remember reading your teaser for this, I loved it so much! Now that I'm reading the whole thing, I still really really like it! I love the atmosphere of the south here, because it's an area of the world that intrigues me and I also love your phoneticising of the accents- it's believable, it really adds to the story but you don't overdo it. I really like that.

Couple of typos I assume you missed- "Jesus was as far away as he every was," "echoing those very words “Don’t you are you’re gonna die?” "

So I did really like this but as always there's a couple of things distracting me from how good it could be if they weren't there:

1) the description of her shoes at the beginning- I know this is a ridiculous thing and no one but me would complain about it but I really can't imagine the shoes at all and I know it's silly but since they're such an important part of the story I feel like I need better visualisation.
2) when they go on the date, looking at the stars... I know she's not focused on the stars herself, but I feel like the focus of the story itself shifts as well, to the date instead of the stars and that's just not a generally great feeling. I feel like you need to keep the focus in a short story because this isn't really a story about teen drama and I don't like the idea that it is.
3) the last line, where he shouts it- I can't believe that he'd shout that- I think it'd be nicer if he kissed her first or something- it just generally feels like an awkward line shoved in there to stay in keeping with the theme. Which is fine, you can use a line to keep within the theme- but it needs to be placed a little bit better.

Overall though I enjoyed this! Onto Part 2 to see why the stars are going out (if we ever find out!)

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x





Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle