z

Young Writers Society


12+

Anastasia Loves You

by KittyBee


Anastasia Loves You

I made a friend last year,

and I kept her especially close to my heart.

On occasion, she’d whisper into my ear and

remind me that I’m art.

I called her Anastasia,

my friends called her disease,

but I fought as well I could to keep her

hugging at my knees.

‘Stasia was pretty--

tall and frail and weak--

And made me weak to look at,

with her cryptic body-- sleek

with fashion, bleak with beige

Her allure became a heavy cage

.

And sank me in my swimming pool

.

And sat me down at parties

.

And made me anxious after dinner

.

And liked to keep me starving

.

And after every command I grew to follow,

She’d leave bruises on my thighs

That read

Anastasia Loves You

And she will

until you die


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 4007
Reviews: 117

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:55 pm
View Likes
crossroads wrote a review...



Hello there, KittyBee~

I will start with saying I grew fond of this poem back when I only read its description - it is pretty.. haunting, in a way, I could say.. almost ominous, and it took me a moment to figure what it means. I did figure it before reading the poem, though, and approached it as to a poem about a serious health problem.

It is often given nicknames, so to say, most often just Ana, and I like it how your MC gave it a new yet still not at all unrelated name. I liked the personification of the disease, and how easy it is to imagine "her" as a real person. Truly, correct me if I'm wrong (I can't know if this was written from experience or not, but honestly neither do I think it matters for this review), but it captures the way it whispers to character's ear, almost audible and its not really existing breath brushing against that never-good-enough skin of the MC, just amazingly.

This poem flows very nicely, and I must say I didn't even notice there was rhyming until I read it again, more analytically.. which I think is a good thing, it doesn't seem forced at all.

Really, I can't say I have anything bad to write about it.. it's quite simple, yet quite effective, especially the ending. I adore that it's dealing with a pretty heavy subject in an almost alarmingly simple and relatable way, I would love to see more of your writing now :3

Although this praise was completely not helpful because I didn't give any advices or mentioned anything to improve on, I have nothing more to say but keep writing, and I hope to see you around ;)

Cheers,
Aria~




KittyBee says...


Thank you for reviewing!



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:34 pm
Panikos says...



Phenomenal.




KittyBee says...


Thank you so very much~



Panikos says...


You are absolutely welcome.



User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:33 am
Rook wrote a review...



This was really really good.
You really captured the horrible feeling that comes with wanting something that hurts you. Anastasia is such a beautiful name, and anorexia (that is what this is about, right?) is such a horrible problem, and these extremes go so well together.
I actually didn't realize that this rhymed until I went back over it.
I don't really think that this poem needs to (or should) rhyme. Most of the rhymes were a little forced (others weren't and they were really good rhymes). For example,

remind me that I’m art.

This line didn't really make sense to me, and I felt like you only put it there to make the poem rhyme.
But the forced rhyme didn't really detract too much from it. The message was what really floored me. You presented the subject so well.
Really, great job.
Keep writing!
~fortis




KittyBee says...


Thanks for reviewing!



User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 408
Reviews: 193

Donate
Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:59 pm
Niraco wrote a review...



Hello there KittyBee, Niraco here giving you a review on this lovely day we call 'Review Day'!

For me poems with underlining mental health issue I hold close. They hit me rather close to home - not because I suffer from the an illness but I know someone who does. So when I see poems like this I almost always end up chocking up a little.

my friends called her disease


This was one of my favorite lines. The contrast between the word 'friend' and 'disease' gives a nice balance and darkens the poem a little more.

I also loved this line too:
And after every command I grew to follow


I found that this line linked back to line 14:
Her allure became a heavy cage


These two lines I think almost define mental illness. You are trapped by your thoughts and stuck doing nothing to control them as they take over you.

Another thing I want to point out is the variation of sentence lengths made reading this poem rather easy and enjoyable.

I could feel a strong sense of emotion behind this piece. Do you suffer from this? As that's the feeling I got from it.

All in all an amazing poem. Happy writing!




KittyBee says...


I've been in the battle for a very long time. Thanks for your comment, much appreciated. Best wishes to your friend, as well, and to you for your empathy.



Niraco says...


Indeed a battle is the best way to describe suffering from mental illness. I wish you the best.



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 1036
Reviews: 40

Donate
Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:51 pm
CamorynAnn says...



Hey KittyBee,
This poem is remarkable. I absolutely LOVE the ending. The entire thing is like you pulled a memory out of my head. Anastasia and I are friends as well. Message me, i can share some more work with you that i think you would like. :)




KittyBee says...


Thank you for the comment~



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 345
Reviews: 60

Donate
Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:56 pm
StealTheWorld wrote a review...



Wow. Um...I don't really know what to start with.

If I have to mention something that needs work, I'd probably go with the beginning. The rhythm was great, but some of the rhymes seem a bit forced. And the repetition of the word "weak" kind of took away from it. Anywho...

This piece just completely blew me away. The execution of it was simply AMAZING. It was poetic perfection at its finest. Powerful, deep, and meaningful. At first, I was thinking this "Anastasia" was either depression or a very bad, evil friend. Then came these lines:

.

And sank me in my swimming pool

.

And sat me down at parties

.

And made me anxious after dinner

.

And liked to keep me starving

.

That was the big reveal for me. While every other line before this hinted at something bigger and just...MORE...this really made the meaning behind Anastasia jump out.

The ending was stupendous. It tied the entire poem together in the most delightfully dark manner. Amazing job. Abso-positively-Amazing.




KittyBee says...


Thanks for reviewing and critiquing!



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:09 am
Ravaien wrote a review...



I'm very impressed with this poem, I love how you used short sentences to empathize the significance of each and every sentence. Making it much more dramatic and realistic, well, the poem is already realistic anyway.

This poem is probably one of the most psychologically powerful poem I have read in a very long time, the way that you described Anastasia almost makes me wonder whether if she is real, or whether if she is just a darker part of you.

I also like the inner dilemma presented in this poem...

'I called her Anastasia,

my friends called her disease,

but I fought as well I could to keep her

hugging at my knees.'

It makes it much more powerful and strong as a poem.

However, I will say I was not expecting the ending and it was my favourite part.

'And after every command I grew to follow,

She’d leave bruises on my thighs

That read

Anastasia Loves You

And she will

until you die'

Very interesting way to tie up the whole poem. Very nice. Well done!

-Rx




KittyBee says...


Thank you for reviewing!



User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 817
Reviews: 38

Donate
Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:54 am
ErinYount wrote a review...



Hi KittyBee,

Well for starters, I really liked your piece.
The idea behind it, is wonderful.
The way you've executed the idea is powerful. Short sentences really help with sinking a feeling down to thereader. You've used that pretty well. With every sentence, one can very much feel it hitting them, so to say. I like that part about the piece the most.

I don't really have any nitpicks actually. It all worked for me.
So, I'll go with telling you the lines I really liked:
"remind me that I’m art"

and "And after every command I grew to follow,

She’d leave bruises on my thighs

That read

Anastasia Loves You

And she will

until you die."


Wishing you warmth and cheer over the holiday season.

Keep writing!
-Erin




KittyBee says...


Thank you~



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:01 pm
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, KittyBee.

This poem almost made me cry, and I rarely cry while reading. I was touched by the whole poem and I was somewhat saddened by it. The lines that touched me the most were:

And after every command I grew to follow,

She’d leave bruises on my thighs

That read

Anastasia Loves You

And she will

until you die


This part really caught my heart the most. I really love this poem though.
Keep up the good work! ~

- K




KittyBee says...


Thanks for reviewing~



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 428
Reviews: 14

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 pm
cupcakenx wrote a review...



this is truly amazing.

"And after every command I grew to follow,

She’d leave bruises on my thighs

That read

Anastasia Loves You

And she will

until you die"

this verse touched me the most, but this whole poem just captures the horrifying disease of anorexia, and how 'Anastasia' is extremely possessive and 'loves' you.
keep up the great work :)




KittyBee says...


Thank you for commenting, I'm glad you saw the true identity of Anastasia!



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 653
Reviews: 17

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:30 pm
hamei90 wrote a review...



This was a beautiful and complete poem about a girl named Anastasia. This poem had a nice flow to it with a mystery about it. I did like the unexpected turn at the end that was shocking and gave me chills. It made me believe that this "friend" was psychotic and obsessive. Anyhow you did a good job. You didn't have many mistakes.




KittyBee says...


Thanks!



User avatar
396 Reviews


Points: 27
Reviews: 396

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:07 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...



This is absolutely beautiful! Really, I don't know what to say. The layout of your poem is so artistic; the verses seem to speak for themselves and twirl the sinews of our heart and mind constantly. The ending was fantastic! Dark, solemn and precise. I loved it! I can't pick out which bit affected me most, but I'd have to say it was this one:

I called her Anastasia,
my friends called her disease,
but I fought as well I could to keep her
hugging at my knees


Keep it up! Keep writing!!

Cheers,
~Pompadour




KittyBee says...


Thankyou~



User avatar
530 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 530

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 am
View Likes
Renard wrote a review...



Mental illness overtones always work. And this piece is fantastic.


'remind me that I’m art.' Great line.


The whole thing is one great big line.

I cannot fault this piece:
-the concept
-the execution
-the formatting
-the punctuation, spelling, grammar etc.
- the ending is fabulous

It's very dark and haunting and I loved it.

Write more like this. :)




KittyBee says...


Thank you for the review!



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 260
Reviews: 6

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:25 am
geekgirl says...



I loved this piece of poetry, you have a lot of talent. Keep up the great work




KittyBee says...


Thank you~



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 691
Reviews: 29

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:35 am
rikkidas says...



Ok nice piece of poetry.
keep writing

ATB




KittyBee says...


xoxo~



User avatar


Points: 270
Reviews: 3

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 am
aidanp says...



This is such a beautiful poem and it really spoke to me. The grammar and layout of your poem is awesome and i don't really have anything to criticize except maybe it could be a little bit longer but this is just because i enjoyed reading it so much. You should be very proud of this piece of poetry. Very well done and i hope you continue making poems as excellent as this.
Well done,
AP




KittyBee says...


Thanks for the review~!




Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins