Martyr

by JamesPeterson

Arvia sat cross-legged on the cold, hard stone floor of her jail cell.

Her green eyes were examining the only colorful thing in an otherwise drab room.

A small dandelion. The little flower had sprouted between the cracks of the rock and grown in the fading light of summer. The light that came through the small, barred window high on the back wall of the cell. But now it was nearly winter and the poor flower had wilted. The yellow leaves had faded to a brownish color.

Similar to Arvia’s own hair, in-fact. Arvia’s brown-blonde hair ran down her back, done in a large braid - as was the custom of the sect of Petals. She pulled it over her shoulder and began to unbraid and braid it, something she did when nervous. As she fidgeted, the young monk hummed a tune. The Old Willow. An ancient melody, presumably created thousands of years ago.

Twisting her head for a moment, Arvia’s eyes flicked to the guard waiting outside her cell. He stood rigid, like a statue, with a spear in his hand and armor on his body. Did they assume Arvia would attempt to run? To escape her own fate? Of course they did, even though she would not.

Arvia turned back to the dandelion. The wilted flowers caused some anger to stir within her. Did these people not respect the Gardener’s creations? Clearly not, as she too was in this cell.

The guard began whistling the same tune that Arvia had. Perhaps without realizing it. Perfect. The Old Willow was like yawning. It spread easily, and had a tendency to unfocus people. Perhaps an effect of its ancient history.

While the guard was trying to get the notes right, the young Petal held her hand out-palm up-and concentrated.

A spark formed, casting a brief, small amount of light. But it grew. Soon, Arvia had a ball of light floating above her hand. It was like a large firefly, pulsating warmth and radiance. Arvia lowered her hand towards the small dandelion. Small specks of light began to float around the flower, and were absorbed by it a moment later.

The dandelion straightened, petals widening, color returning.

Arvia dismissed her Lumen, a small smile on her lips.

Stay strong, young one.

“Oi! Monk lady, nuff o’ that magic!” a gruff voice sounded behind her.

The Petal sighed. She hadn’t noticed he stopped whistling. The light had probably caught his attention. The only other source was torchlight, dimly casting moving shadows onto the wall.

Arvia stood, dusted off her robes, and turned to the guard.

“Why do you fear something more natural than even you or I? Why do you fear the light, my friend?” Arvia said curiously.

His eyes hardened, “Witch, ‘nuff o’ your temptin’!” The man angrily turned away, becoming a statue again.

Arvia sighed again.

Yendians...they were so foolish.

That includes you.

Internally, she chuckled at her own thoughts. Well, of course it included herself. She was just as foolish. Perhaps in other ways, but still foolish.

“Tell me Jethen, when am I going to be executed?” She asked him.

The guard’s eyes widened. “‘Ow do ya know my name? Tell me, witch!”

Arvia rolled her eyes.

“Your captain was talking to you, and he said your name,” she held her hands up peacefully, “No ‘witchcraft’ involved.”

He frowned. “Fine. Your executio’ ‘gins at noon. Suppose the sun ‘ll give us all a ‘etter look a’ your dying face! Ha!” he took the opportunity to spit on her, his frown becoming a hateful grin.

Arvia wiped the saliva off herself, and smiled again, “Thank you.”

A frown again.

Arvia returned to her original spot, contemplating her inevitable end. Her thoughts were once again brought to the small, wilting dandelion.

Just keep living, little one...just keep living...

****

Hundreds of faces watched as Arvia was roughly shoved onto the gallows. She looked around at the crowd. Men, women, children even. They were all there to watch her die.

So Arvia smiled brightly at all of them.

That didn’t go over well. There were some angry shouts and the curiosity on many faces quickly changed to hate.

Oh well.

Arvia stepped up onto the trapdoor that marked her grave.

Please, oh Benevolent Gardener, show these people the light that I failed to.

The executioner put the noose around her neck, the rough fibers scratching her skin. That got a few cheers. Arvia kept smiling.

It wasn’t that she wanted to die, but rather that her death would hopefully bring these people to find the Light - and with it, the Gardener. Inside, she was crying, and screaming. Arvia was terrified. Even though she knew the Gardener was benevolent, he chose those he deemed worthy.

What if Arvia wasn't worthy? What if she would be hanged, and her soul would be burned for eternity. But still, she smiled.

The announcer, on the edge of the wooden platform, read from his parchment.

“ARVIA SCALIDOR, CHARGED WITH WITCHCRAFT AND TREASON. SHE CLAIMS TO BE SENT BY THE “GARDENER” AND USES EVIL TO TEMPT US. SHE DIES TODAY.” The pudgy man yelled, sneering at Arvia. More cheers.

“Any last words, witch,” the announcer asked. Nearby, the executioner had his hand on the lever, ready to drop Arvia to her death.

“Follow the road, swim the river, find the Old Willow.” She whispered.

“Speak up, woman!”

“Dance together, sing forever, ‘round the Old Willow,” Arvia sang, voice louder.

The announcer narrowed his eyes.

“Fear the evil, hide yourselves, ‘hind the Old Willow.”

Arvia continued, even as the executioner tightened his grip, hardened his eyes. Then he pulled the lever at a signal from the announcer.

“Face the shadow, draw your swo-”

She dropped. The noose jerked her head, and stopped her fall. But it didn’t break her neck, rather the noose began slowly squeezing the life from her body. She hung there, gasping for air.

“S...sword….by the...old willow…” she managed to rasp.

“Close your...eyes….breathe….your last….” Her blurry vision began to darken as the cheers died out. The people could hear her. They could hear her final song.

“Neath...the...old...willow…”

Some people began shouting angrily. Why wasn’t she dead yet?

“Rest….forever…….in peace….”

With the Old Willow, an unknown voice finished for her.

Arvia felt the frigid grip of death close around her. Her eyes closed, and her lungs breathed their last. What Arvia did not see was the glow that her dead body began to emanate. A warm radiance. A guiding light. The Gardener's Light.

The riots started later that day.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:55 pm
BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...

I like this a lot. Wo, I am still in shock. The terms, the song, everything is perfectly well written. if I were a publisher right now, apart from a few tweaks, I would publish you. That is the highest praise I can give. This is incredible. The fact that you make me feel some kind of feeling for Arvia was something worth noting. This is incredible. Your choice, but you could make a book out of this. When I read this, my mind was racing with all the different directions you could go, that's how much I loved it. You are talented. Keep up the good work. Until next time!

Thanks for the review too.
I might put Arvia into a book, but she wouldn't get her own. The reason is....well....she dies here.
XD

BEASTtheHUN says...

Yeah. If you do, tag me on it.

RennisanceBlade wrote a review...

O.o Wow... I was not expecting that ending! This is a great story that flows really well and there is no confusion. Thank you! I would love to see more of this story and this world. You write really well, so don't have any doubts about this. I forgot how many words are needed to fully write a review... Anyways, keep it up!

~ RennissanceBlade

Hazel Williams says...

Good job Zacharias 10/10 as usual

pineapple321 wrote a review...

Hi, Pineapple here for a little review.

First of all, wow, you are an amazing writer. I loved Arvia's bold character. I also liked how you crafted her death scene.

"But it didn’t break her neck, rather the noose began squeezing the life from her body." This line was very descriptive and an interesting way to look at her death.

I haven't seen much of this in writer's but the way you created a nervous tic for her was really cool, too. Keep up the great work!

Signed,

Pineapple

Thanks! Also, I was confused by "i havent seen much of this in writer's"
What did you mean?

pineapple321 says...

Sorry, I meant "writer's work"

Ohh. Ok. Well, thanks for the review, and I'm glad you liked it!
:D

YellowSweater wrote a review...

Oh my! I loved that so much! Especially the ending! The world-building is so vivid. It left me curious, but also satisfied. Your prose is clear and clean. And I loved your characters. Even the guard felt marginally three-dimensional.

Again I really enjoyed reading this. I wish I could offer your more criticism, but...

I would love to read more in this world! Let me know if you write more! - YellowSweater

I will be making more stories in and around Yend. :)

FourLeafClover says...

This is really good!
The grammar super good and the story is very interesting. It also leaves me wanting to know more!
There are some parts where new paragraphs or new sentences start that could just be in the paragraph or sentence before it, but other than that, I think it's perfect.

Thanks! If you want to know more, there will probably be more stories set on Yend. :)

Oooh, that sound awesome!

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala