12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 19.3

by KateHardy

“This thing is coming closer,” called Harry, “I think we might have to turn around and fight. The last thing we want is for this thing to jump on us from behind when we’re least expecting it.”

“Good point, Harry,” said Aria, “okay…Kate run ahead of us, make sure nothing’s going to jump us from that direction. Daisy, stay with her, two pairs of eyes is better than one. The three of us will deal with whatever this thing is. Is everyone okay with that plan?”

“As long as I don’t have to wrestle with that thing, I’m good,” said Kate, sounding a little relieved to be running ahead of them.

“I can keep watch,” said Daisy, nodding.

“Then let’s blow whatever this thing is right back to the planet that it came from,” said Ryan, sounding a lot more confident than what Daisy felt at the moment.

“Yes to that,” said Harry, “come on, let’s try and get a little bit more distance here before we attack this thing.”

“Well, we definitely need to pick a spot devoid of any suspicious looking trees,” said Aria," like a place that is not here, because if I'm recognizing this correct, we're going through a large patch of the mutant Venus fly trap things that can snap up a human.”

Daisy swivelled to the left to see what Aria was pointing at she immediately spotted the large red lined mouth like structures lining the side of their little path. 

"I agree with that plan," said Daisy, immediately as a chill ran through her.

“Could we potentially get this thing to go in one of those?” asked Kate.

“Hmm…that would be too dangerous, best to leave the scary plants alone and just shoot this thing,” said Aria,” we can’t afford to be taking any chances here, we just can't afford to take a risk.”

“Yeah,” said Ryan, with a nod, “she's right. We don’t to chance being stuck between two things trying to kill us.”

“Yeah, nope,” said Daisy, rapidly shaking her head.

Kate shrugged and nodded.

“Okay I’m seeing a relatively clear patch up ahead of us now…get ready to fall into that formation guys," said Aria, "We’re going to have to be really quick here…we can’t afford to get slowed down, or this thing will probably pounce right into the middle of us and then that’s game over for all of us.”

“That would definitely be bad,” said Harry.

“Yeah, no kidding,” agreed Ryan.

“Alright, everybody, on my count, the three of us slide to a stop and you two run a tad bit more and come to a stop,” ordered Aria, pausing for a second for any responses before she set her face in a grim determination.

With that, they ran for a few more steps before Aria began the countdown. She signalled for them to start and Daisy kept running, going past the boys and Aria before sliding to a stop in front of them. Kate came to a stop right next to her.

“You take the front, I’ll take the sides,” said Daisy.

“Sounds good to me,” said Kate, with a quick nood.

Daisy turned to look out for anything headed their way. As she did, the sound of the rifles charging up could be heard and she couldn’t help but sneak a peek at the thing that was trying to attack them.

She instantly regretted that decision. The thing chasing after them was a truly hideous creation. It was definitely some form of giant lizard. Looking very close to something that could have been the Komodo dragon they'd learnt about in school. 

It was massive, twice as long as Daisy was tall and a good four to five feet from one side to the other. It's tail resembled what she'd imagine a rattlesnake's would be like, creating a rattling sound as it whipped through the air. The creature was also stood about as tall as her was even thought it was on all fours. Two long fangs jutted out of its mouth, each one at least a foot long. She would bet the rifle in her hands that the fangs were probably poisonous.

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:18 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Okay, so we have ourselves a fight situation again. Now in this case, they are probably in a better situation than they were when they had to fight with their colonizers. This situation doesn't really seem to be that dangerous. I don't really know, it's written that they were fighting with death but strangely, I didn't quite get the feeling of death. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe we will be seeing the situation more clearly afterwards when the creature will be on the verge of attacking them. I mean the creature wasn't really attacking them, I guess. Ah, I have the strange imagination that the creature is an innocent creature who is not even in the intention of attacking them but they are very much afraid of it. After all, the creature hasn't really seen many humans in its lifetime and was probably curious to see what had entered its forest. Well, my thoughts sometimes become very strange.

Another thing which I noticed is so many 'said's. Sometimes, I guess it's a bit better to use alternatives to indicate the situation. Like said, in general means to say something normally and I believe that they were not peacefully talking among themselves. They were of course in a great hurry.

The mutant venus fly trap was an interesting thing. However, the good thing is that that can't actually be a dangerous thing unless and until they get towards it. So, not the most dangerous. I hope that they will be able to find a safe spot in the forest and that actually appears to be quite a difficult thing to find because the aliens were quite cautious to actually make the forest into a death trap. Ah, I agreed with Kate on making it go into the Venus Fly Trap. That would be super great to see. Like their own traps would trouble them. However, doesn't seem like that is not going to happen. Pretty sad...

Well, I just hope that no more creatures of the forest will make an appearance. If that happens, it will be a bit too difficult for them to handle the situation. One animal and five humans- the are not in a bad position but if suddenly, the animal gets afraid or angry or something and starts shouting and its friends come to help it, well I don't know what is going to happen. The description of the creature was wonderful.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:08 am

Hi Harry,

Mailice back with another short review! :D

That was a very nice way towards the climax, how the team really felt like a team again here and through that we also already experienced the plan. In contrast to the previous parts, this one feels a bit warmer now that all the team members have spoken once (although it was probably only "to say" because of the effort. :D).

I also thought it was good here that Daisy didn't panic but said yes straight away, perhaps also as Kate meant it, since they can run to the front instead of to the back. I think her development - despite the feeling that she was more in the background in this part - turned out well and this whole chapter gives her another chance to start well and shine.

In general, I liked the change between the narrative action at the beginning and now this 180-degree turn where the group comes to more action.

The reading flow was definitely well constructed here and I also like that after some explanations we now get a more active picture of the group. It was a good way to create a "break" but still not get rid of the feeling that there is still something to come.

One other point I noticed while reading:

I really like the way you introduced these mutant Venus fly traps in some sort of speaking, then in explaining them. It fits with the overall flow of this part.

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:46 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

Well, the excitement increases. This part was again well-executed and it focused more on them coming up with a plan than the action I expect will be in the next part. Aria was in her true form in this part, giving out orders and forming plans. All of them were able to think quickly on their feet and it was a little surprising considering that the description you provided at the ending made this mutant animal seem even more dangerous than the aliens.

I am not sure how they are going to defeat it with just their guns. Daisy mentioned that the creature was twice her height and it really does not add any points for them. I do wonder if these creatures have certainly evolved from the animals of today or they are mutants created in laboratories. The aliens seem like they would be talented in this criteria.

I don't think it was such a good idea to send Daisy and Kate to the front. Sure it is important to keep a look out in every direction, but this way they lose two more pairs of hands that could have been useful in a fight. Well, we will see what happens. I have faith in Aria and her plans.

Overall, this was a good continuation of the plot. The typos have increased somewhat, but they don't get in the way of the story. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Keep writing and have a great day!

KateHardy says...

Thank youuu for the review!!

xD...the typos are side effects of how it was written last NaNo. The last four chapters were pretty rushed and my edits for the second draft were mostly focused on continuity and stuff so a lot of them are still there :D

All hail the mighty Glow Cloud.
— Welcome to Night Vale